Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

supination in BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: supination in BH
    Posted: 02/16/2019 at 6:08pm
Treat it as some sort of power amplifier for your strokes (it's not a substitute for proper use of the wrist, arm and body rotation, leg push, etc..!), once you add it in you'll never go back. Same goes for pronation (opposite direction) on the FH. I analysed many pro training videos, they all do it do a various degrees (Fan Zhendong makes the best use of it imo) however it never seems to be taught in the standard literature. 

I found the image below which has the best illustration. It is NOT a wrist movement (which is a completely separate discussion topic in itself), rather it comes from the arm and shoulder. 

Edit: Here is a video playlist of me shadowing the various movements discussed in this thread as promised! Hope it helps!

BH:

FH:

Edited by blahness - 02/21/2019 at 5:47pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 7:40pm
For which  BH stroke?  I don't see how one can supinate when doing a backhand loop, Chinese style, when the racket is already quite closed.

Do you have a vid showing this?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

For which  BH stroke?  I don't see how one can supinate when doing a backhand loop, Chinese style, when the racket is already quite closed.

Do you have a vid showing this?

Yes you do it for the BH loop, and chiquita. Pretty much everyone at the highest levels does it, however it may not be acknowledged in literature. I'm pretty sure many high level players of this forum do it too, either consciously or unconsciously. You kinda start from the middle position in the diagram shown and move towards the extreme ends. Some people call it a wrist snap but it's a misnomer because the wrist movement is mainly radial/ulnar deviation, this is more of a forearm action. 

It's not a very visible component of the stroke since there is little visual impact other than the position of the wrist at the end of the followthrough vs the beginning that gives it away. I will record some short videos when I have time to show this...

Btw for the backhand if you look closely at the contact they don't contact the ball with a very closed angle, it's more open like 45 degrees, the reason why it is closed at the end is because of supination which acts to close the racket angle.
-------
Viscaria

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 9:36pm
Btw for the backhand if you look closely at the contact they don't contact the ball with a very closed angle, it's more open like 45 degrees...

Yes... this is what I have observed.

But given that, it would seem supination happens after contact and should come naturally in the follow-through.

Edited by Ieyasu - 02/16/2019 at 9:36pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 10:07pm

Btw for the backhand if you look closely at the contact they don't contact the ball with a very closed angle, it's more open like 45 degrees...

Yes... this is what I have observed.

But given that, it would seem supination happens after contact and should come naturally in the follow-through.

I wouldn't say it happens after contact but rather during contact... The effects continue in the followthrough which is when you see it. My experience is that without the supination you can still have a spinny brush loop BH. But when you add in the supination, it becomes a lot more explosive. I have some screenshots from Harimoto training video and a Tomorrow table tennis tutorial video which shows it very clearly.
-------
Viscaria

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 10:37pm
There are only 19 Tomorrow TT videos. Is it the one titled: 
Loop Like Zhang Jike - Explosive Backhand?

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 10:41pm

There are only 19 Tomorrow TT videos. Is it the one titled: 
Loop Like Zhang Jike - Explosive Backhand?

Yes that's the one, he doesn't explain it but his video shows it very clearly...

Look at the section from 1:44 very carefully, you'll notice the supination very clearly, see how his forearm is rotating about the axis of the forearm itself, and there is a corresponding closing of the blade angle. He calls it "whipping forward", but biomechanically speaking it's a combination of wrist movement along the radial/ulnar deviation plane, and supination. 

I'm attaching a common wrist movement image to define the terms I'm using correctly. 

The other thing that's possibly a bit confusing/misleading about the BH racket angles is "unarching" of the back opens up the blade angle which is why the angle looks very closed during the backswing. So you gotta ignore the part before that, during contact (as you can see from the video above) the blade contacts the ball quite head on rather than a thin brush loop, then you're closing the bat angle actively using supination during the "snap forward". 

Edited by blahness - 02/16/2019 at 11:46pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2019 at 5:33pm
Continued using this in a practice session felt like there was a pretty amazing improvement in power and spin after adding in the supination. 

One of the key cues is that at the followthrough, if you're using the full stroke the blade, wrist and arm form a straight line. It's kinda the opposite of the FH where you start off straight and end up curled, with BH you start curled and end up straight. 

-------
Viscaria

serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 2:47am
This doesn't work with short pips :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 5:57am
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

This doesn't work with short pips :(

If your goal is to spin the ball it clearly does.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: Rakza Z
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:54am
It 100% works with short pips. Especially if you have spiny horizontally aligned short pips on backhand. I used that technique for smashing hard and quick back when I was playing short pips. 

Edited by ericd937 - 02/18/2019 at 6:55am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

It 100% works with short pips. Especially if you have spiny horizontally aligned short pips on backhand. I used that technique for smashing hard and quick back when I was playing short pips. 

Yeah agreed, I don't see why it wouldn't work with any rubber, it's just biomechanics after all...

Edited by blahness - 02/18/2019 at 7:34am
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:53pm
Btw it'll be good if some of the high level players here can confirm this?
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

High level. Players don't think this way and I wouldn't recommend you look for too much theoretical advice from high level players. High level coaches is s different story but you don't see that many on here.

What you are saying is obviously correct (I can't confirm every detail but the general idea of rotation around the axis of the shoulder/upper arm/forearm) is something that I have always noticed and it is something I focus on when teaching looping.  But I don't teach it by emphasizing it usually. I just shish people how to start and finish the stroke and where to hit the ball in between and it tends to add up to the same thing.

I stress circular strokes when spinning the ball.  This is one easy way to add circular motion to your stroke.  It isn't everything as elbow position and the use of the body to add force to the motion are important.  But I think in terms of spin generation, it is very critical.
Cybershape Carbon
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:30pm
If you use supination during contact does that mean that you are changing the blade angle during contact?

If yes, then does this create consistancy issues if a players timing is not high level?  If so, is this supination technique something you teach early on to beginners or is it something added later after the more basic stroke is learned fairly well?

Mark - Questioning minds want to know

Edited by mjamja - 02/18/2019 at 6:32pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:42pm
I'm having some trouble imagining what you guys mean. If you're rotating your arm with your forearm as the rotational axis to close the racket angle during the swing, does that mean the racket angle needs to be open during the backswing?

Or does it go from closed to open then back to closed? Or am I missing it completely?

Is anyone willing to make a video of them shadowstroking this? With emphasis on how supination is added?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I'm having some trouble imagining what you guys mean. If you're rotating your arm with your forearm as the rotational axis to close the racket angle during the swing, does that mean the racket angle needs to be open during the backswing?

Or does it go from closed to open then back to closed? Or am I missing it completely?

Is anyone willing to make a video of them shadowstroking this? With emphasis on how supination is added?

As NextLevel said, its more of a rounded circular motion. A quick snap, something like the motion you make when throwing a frisbee. 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:12pm
Oh, I think I see it now keeping the frisbee analogy in mind and doing some shadowstrokes. Thanks! It's quite subtle. I think I was thinking too much around the wrist and hand. The forearm is definitely rotating during the stroke.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:21pm

Oh, I think I see it now keeping the frisbee analogy in mind and doing some shadowstrokes. Thanks! It's quite subtle. I think I was thinking too much around the wrist and hand. The forearm is definitely rotating during the stroke.

Yes I think the Frisbee analogy is a good one as long as your elbow is used as a pivot. And yeah, I think it's subtle (at least for me it is), because as I posted in your WRM thread, I did not even realize I was rolling the forearm until I slowed the stroke down to observe it!
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:37pm
Yes, elbow as the pivot and the wrist snap shouldn't be too exaggerated. Elbow up and your forearm motion is still a bit rounded, a bit like a windshield wiper on an automobile. When I do it, my forearm doesn't roll completely over. Everyone's backhand mechanics are slightly different, so someone else may describe it to you differently. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:45pm

Whats a high level player? When I was around 1100, I thought 1500 level guys were really goodLOLLOLLOL. When I got to 1500, I thought man, those 1800-1900 level guys are really good. Now that I'm around 2000ish playing level, 2200-2300 seems pretty good and 2400-2500 and higher feels like a truly high level player(I have no chance lol).  

Edited by ericd937 - 02/18/2019 at 7:47pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you use supination during contact does that mean that you are changing the blade angle during contact?

If yes, then does this create consistancy issues if a players timing is not high level?  If so, is this supination technique something you teach early on to beginners or is it something added later after the more basic stroke is learned fairly well?

Mark - Questioning minds want to know

I think one has to be good at counterhitting first before adding this in...as NextLevel mentioned the elbow position, body rotation, use of legs are more important issues... But once the counterhitting is solid, this will create an order of magnitude increase in the spin and explosiveness imo.
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 8:33pm

The bat angle goes from closed during backswing to open as you unarch  (straighten) your back (even if you are not doing anything on the bat) which is the confusing part. During contact it should be relatively open, then during the followthrough if you're doing the supination correctly it should be closed. Let me make a video of a shadow stroke later today to illustrate.  
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 8:46pm

It is very subtle but very important! For me I have always supinated a bit, but not being aware of its potential I never treated it with the amount of respect it deserves, and I kept thinking I needed to move my forearm faster or to use more waist or legs, etc.... But once I was aware of it I could time the impact, use a fuller supination movement, and there was almost a magnitude increase in the power and explosiveness of my BH, I would say that without proper supination you won't be able to loopkill effortlessly. Suddenly I had full confidence in applying as much power I wanted from the legs and body rotation I wanted without any fear of missing.

If you played badminton or tennis, the pronation for FH and supination for BH is taught explicitly and given attention as one of the primary power sources in strokes...

Edited by blahness - 02/18/2019 at 8:50pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 2:38am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Whats a high level player? When I was around 1100, I thought 1500 level guys were really goodLOLLOLLOL. When I got to 1500, I thought man, those 1800-1900 level guys are really good. Now that I'm around 2000ish playing level, 2200-2300 seems pretty good and 2400-2500 and higher feels like a truly high level player(I have no chance lol).  

Haha you've got a point there.... oh well for me I think will be above 2000 is a good player Wink 
-------
Viscaria

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 7:02pm
As you said in the topic about WRM translations, in this video the Korean guy who appears after the 4 minute with Simon Sandals (TTR-Hunter) seems to talk about the supination you are discussing here. 
It would be great if someone could translate that from German, but anyway images are clearly enough to show the concept.

My question is, doesn't this technique mean a significative loss in spin (in favour of more flatter power)?

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 7:17pm

The bat angle goes from closed during backswing to open as you unarch  (straighten) your back (even if you are not doing anything on the bat) which is the confusing part. During contact it should be relatively open, then during the followthrough if you're doing the supination correctly it should be closed. Let me make a video of a shadow stroke later today to illustrate.  

Yes, please! My backhand is horrendous at the moment, and everyone is different, so maybe this is the magic sauce that helps me just 'get it' Smile
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 7:37pm

Edited by NextLevel - 02/20/2019 at 8:38am
Cybershape Carbon
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

https://youtu.be/Gri2K5EoQQc

Error 404 not found
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

As you said in the topic about WRM translations, in this video the Korean guy who appears after the 4 minute with Simon Sandals (TTR-Hunter) seems to talk about the supination you are discussing here. 
It would be great if someone could translate that from German, but anyway images are clearly enough to show the concept.

My question is, doesn't this technique mean a significative loss in spin (in favour of more flatter power)?

Hi Makele, actually if anything the supination will greatly increase the amount of spin you produce. There's a wrong way to do it where your wrist primarily goes from flexion to extension, that will kill off spin but is effective for flat hits. Instead your wrist should move along the radial/ulnar deviation plane, and you add in supination, that's when you get max spin. 

It is exactly the same for FH loop except the direction is reversed. For FH you pronate and wrist moves along the radial/ulnar deviation plane for max spin.
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic