Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Table Tennis vs Table Football
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table Tennis vs Table Football

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Victor Popovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Victor Popovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Tennis vs Table Football
    Posted: 09/29/2022 at 1:29pm
For a long time I have felt some kind of elusive inferiority in the name of our favorite sport - Table Tennis. This is due to the fact that there are games "similar" to Table Tennis: Table Football, Table Hockey and Table Basketball.

True, the difference is not significant - Table Tennis and Table Football?

Football, yes, it's a sport. Table Football is for fun.

That is, if on the table, then this is for entertainment and this is not quite sport.

I believe there are two lists of different sports.

In the first list, there are just sports, and in the second, not just, but only those that are played on the table.

In the first list: Football, Hockey, Basketball and, of course, Table Tennis.

In the second list: Table Football, Table Hockey, Table Basketball and, of course, Table Tennis.

Thus, our sport is unique. It is on the both lists.

It is possible to enjoy it - the unique sport, but for the reason mentioned, it jars me.

I remember that before 1929 our sport was called Ping-Pong.

Maybe in 2029, after a century of humiliation called Table Tennis, our sport needs to be renamed again?

Popovich's blade, Yasaka Rakza7 2.0mm, Nittaku Best Anti 1.3mm
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2022 at 2:54pm
All hail the new ISBF, International Spin Ball Federation.

Mark - Who would not be allowed to join since his shots lack the required spin.

Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2022 at 7:47pm
I like it, and our logo @ is already on the keyboard.
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 7:38am
I have just invented a game called Table Table Tennis in which each player controls a single figure on a stick that slides a flat ball (or puck) across the table. Points are scored when you make the puck slide off the opponents side. 

Any similarities to AirHockey are completely coincidental. 

Can I have some money now please?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 9:37am
If table tennis were like table football, we wouldn't move our feet.  The ground would shake and we would just slide around.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Popovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 12:54pm
"I have just invented a game called Table Table Tennis in which each player controls a single figure on a stick that slides a flat ball (or puck) across the table. Points are scored when you make the puck slide off the opponents side. 

Any similarities to AirHockey are completely coincidental. 

Can I have some money now please?"

to Simon_plays

Does “Table Table Tennis” have the net?

"Table Table Tennis" must have a net, and if the ball slides on the table, how can the ball get past the net and hit the opponent's side?

How much money do you want for your invention?

I am not hating on you but I think my questions are reasonable

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 6:04pm
Since I have simplified the complicated 3d world of table tennis into a more manageable 2d word, in Table Table Tennis, the net is replaced with a simple black line, about 4 cm thick. 

The ball will simply slide over the 'net'. 

As for money, I think I changed my mind and you can build my invention for free. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Popovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 8:38pm
 …The ball will simply slide over the ‘net’…

If the ball simply slides over the "net", then this ball will never hit the opponent's side.

…As for money…

As for money, you were the first to mention money.

And about money, I think that if you ...As for money, I think I changed my mind... , then you are elementary - think and change your mind again.

It's your … I have just invented a game called Table Table Tennis…

I have nothing to do with your invention.

Then this is for you …build my invention…

You invented the Game!

I wish you that your game is a great success and that you play it with pleasure and win as often as possible.

I will not play your “Table Table Tennis”, but my Table Tennis with my blade.

I only had enough of my imagination to add another handle to the existing blade.

I invented and ... build my invention… just myself.

I have my patent for my invention.

You need to apply not to me, but to the Patent Office. You won't be arguing with me, but with a man from the Office.

Because I:

1 not from the Patent Office,

2 have no desire to discuss your game …Table Table Tennis… ,

3 have no desire …you can build my invention… ,

4 I'm not interested in your money,

5 I’m not going to change my mind about your money

I will not respond to your possible posts in the future

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 11:30pm
On a more serious note in reference to the original post:

I agree that one of the problems with popularizing table tennis is that it is thought of as a game and not as a sport.  In the US, at least, I do not believe the problem is the name.  Most people who consider it a game actually know it as Ping Pong and not as Table Tennis.  In the US, I think one of the early factors was the promotion of the game as Ping Pong by Milton Bradley.  They were considered a "game" company and not a "sports" company so Ping Pong was thought of as a game by many.  I think another factor might have to do with the development of the suburbian culture.  Before that Table Tennis was almost exclusively played in clubs which had players and events which would expose people to the sports side of table tennis.  Once there were tables in garages all across the suburbs, peoples exposure to table tennis was more likely to have them think of it as a game and never consider the sport aspect.  I am sure there are other factors such as table tennis not being as suited for radio or early television broadcasting as other sports.  

Not sure about any other countries, but those are my thoughts on table tennis popularity in the US.

Mark - Who was just about as popular in high school as table tennis (but not quite).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic