FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tariffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tariffs
    Posted: 07/11/2019 at 10:02am
Well, if you import from China to the US you know these are turbulent times.  I've spent hours this last couple of months on the phone with import companies, emailing with dhs, providing doc, etc.

Surprise!  I'm now the proud owner of a 10% tariff.

So I generally support standing up to China.  I wonder if people placing 50 or $100 orders from Alibaba will aslo pay more now?  If so I could probably withstand a price increase as the competition will too.

But wouldn't a bigger company just have someone in germany buy it and then buy it from them?  
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

But wouldn't a bigger company just have someone in germany buy it and then buy it from them?  
Will have the same tariffs, if products originate from China.  I think, to change the country of origin, the products will have to be modified\reproduced by the 3rd country.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 10:45am
ok, so lets say you buy two sheets of h3 from dandoy.  They're not going to mark china as the country of origin I'm pretty sure, although I guess they might.

But en masse, it may take a little more work, youre right.  It could still be done though if you're operating on the level of killerspin for example.  The modification part that is.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 11:15am

ok, so lets say you buy two sheets of h3 from dandoy.  They're not going to mark china as the country of origin I'm pretty sure, although I guess they might.

But en masse, it may take a little more work, youre right.  It could still be done though if you're operating on the level of killerspin for example.  The modification part that is.
You can do that in a small scale but not in REAL commercial level. US knows all the dirty tricks now
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

You can do that in a small scale but not in REAL commercial level. US knows all the dirty tricks now

Well, if my competitors are really paying the same tax, then I guess it's all okay. I'm really not worried about people jumping ship to expensive brands because they're so much more expensive and who knows they may have some new taxes too.

By the way some readers may find it interesting that it was tariffed as,  "natural products - wood and rubber."

Edited by cole_ely - 07/11/2019 at 11:39am

Alisha_Hooksit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 11:54am
<Surprise!  I'm now the proud owner of a 10% tariff>

Not a real surprise given the circumstances but how does this affect your pricing? With your new 10% tariff do you now raise prices 10% then pay the government that amount? Sorry I don't know how this works and am curious how these costs get passed onto the customers and business owners.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 12:34pm
Thats part of why I started this thread.  Im wondering if my competition is going to find a way around.  I was also hoping people would share their experiences if they end up paying new customs when ordering, esp from China.  If the tariff catches everybody one way or another, then I can raise my prices right?

For now Im going to ride it out as is.  If things dont change by the fall I may consider.  My dawei/air guy has agreed to absorb 5% by sending extra stuff.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 1:35pm
I think every one will take a hit.  Distributor wants to sell, so they need to lower the price a bit. Merchant (you) will have to lower your profit as well to sell.  Customer will still end up paying a bit more.  Government may, or may not take a hit, depending on how much decrease on the consuming of goods.  In this particular case, the government win, since before, there's zero tax, so any tax now is a plus.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 4:13pm
I think you should raise prices. I have not seen you and/or zeropong raise prices over the last 15 plus years. Does inflation not affect you? I cannot see how you stay in business as it is-though I guess you still have a day job. A 10% increase in prices raises 20 US dollar rubber to 22 dollars. I do not see business falling off because you charge 18 dollars instead of 16 for a sheet of illumina.
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 4:51pm
If I were you, I would raise prices a little to offset your increased costs and be done with it.

Some people will try to go around this and they may get away with it for a little bit, but eventually the full force of US tax collectors will catch up with them.  It is safer to go swimming in a pool full of hungry piranhas than tackle the IRS.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I think you should raise prices. I have not seen you and/or zeropong raise prices over the last 15 plus years. Does inflation not affect you? I cannot see how you stay in business as it is-though I guess you still have a day job. A 10% increase in prices raises 20 US dollar rubber to 22 dollars. I do not see business falling off because you charge 18 dollars instead of 16 for a sheet of illumina.

The pre-made buster started at 25 and is now 34.

Tom has offset by doing his own production with gambler. I don't presume to know what happened with 729 or DHS, but he doesn't carry either of them anymore in new stock. 

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 9:11pm
Do you have a tariff for any value parcel, or only if it's over a certain amount?

Is it US Customs that's charging the tariff, or is it charged by the sender?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Do you have a tariff for any value parcel, or only if it's over a certain amount?

The invoice is from the dept of Homeland Security. Us customs.

I hope any amount so people buying direct from China also have to pay it. Otherwise the only effect of the tarrif is to give all the profit to China instead of just some.

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 10:28pm

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The invoice is from the dept of Homeland Security. Us customs.

I hope any amount so people buying direct from China also have to pay it. Otherwise the only effect of the tarrif is to give all the profit to China instead of just some.

Remember that for your US customers, we save a LOT on shipping when we buy from you guys rather than from eacheng for example. 

We point all new players at our club to the pre-made buster which is still a fantastic deal at 40 USD shipped. I have not heard of a single buyer from our club of that set up who has not been happy with it. 
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2019 at 5:24pm
raise your prices a bit Cole...it is fine!
301, Viscaria, VR, Clipper Wood
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic