Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy 25 or Bryce speed with Plastic Ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 25 or Bryce speed with Plastic Ball
    Posted: 02/25/2019 at 7:19pm
Hi All,

I am struggling to decide which rubber to use on the forehand. I currently use a very low throw, fast and bouncy all wood blade (Cornilleau Absolom). I like to drive, counter, block and smash during rallies on FH and against backspin open up with a loop. I currently use Bryce speed on forehand and although this rubber was made for the strokes I mentioned during rallies it becomes inconsistent when opponents start to flat hit or punch to my FH because of the low throw of bryce speed and my blade. Should I get use to bryce speed? Or switch Tenergy 25?

I would like to hear all your opinons! :)
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2019 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Hi All,

I am struggling to decide which rubber to use on the forehand. I currently use a very low throw, fast and bouncy all wood blade (Cornilleau Absolom). I like to drive, counter, block and smash during rallies on FH and against backspin open up with a loop. I currently use Bryce speed on forehand and although this rubber was made for the strokes I mentioned during rallies it becomes inconsistent when opponents start to flat hit or punch to my FH because of the low throw of bryce speed and my blade. Should I get use to bryce speed? Or switch Tenergy 25?

I would like to hear all your opinons! :)

I know the exact issue that you are talking about as I used to hit into this very often. There are two things that need to be done -
1. For a flat hit, you need to open the racket angle a bit more and then use a sort of upward motion on contact to have the ball land on the other side.
2. For a flat out block that is just punched back, I would try to use a more open angled racket face to counter drive the ball back.

The key is the angle of the racket face when you contact the ball and the touch at the time of contact. Also, try and analyse the balls that players are able to flat hit back. Are those lacking spin that you can perhaps focus on and add? 
I tend to flat hit a lot of slow topspin balls myself and the thing that drives my consistency off is the spin mix in these shots. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 3:24am
switch to Tenergy 05, I used that for 3.5 years on a Gergely and Primorac Carbon for the exact style you mentioned, loop the first ball and than smash all the rest. The High throw Angle combined with a low throw and hard blade is a perfect combo. Great for blocking and smashing.

Edited by Skyline - 02/26/2019 at 3:24am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 4:19am
T80 is better than T05 for smashing and blocking. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 7:49am
Thank you all for ur opinons! I thought T80 and T05 was too sensitive to spin to good for smashing and blocking?
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 8:28am
Going from what you say is a low throw rubber to T05 which is a very high throw rubber seems extreme and could mess up the rest of your game to fix one technique fixable situation. (I always think you pick your rubber based on your main game play, not on the exceptions).
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 9:52am
I agree. I love to drive, counter, block and smash thats why I use bryce speed. However, on a low throw hard blade it is very inconsistent if someone flat hits to my fh. I suppose its just a matter getting use to and adjusting? But how much can I adjust my technique to suit this rubber. Perhaps T25 is a better rubber for what I am looking for?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 10:03am
if you want to stick to Btfy then T25.  I used your mentioned blade last night with a 729 Battle II Prov commercial on FH and absolutely killed the flat smashes.  it has good dwell/topspin also when required.

Edited by tom - 02/26/2019 at 10:04am
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 11:45am
If you stay close to the table, T25 is going to work better than Bryce Speed most likely.

You have to be able to brush the ball on the opener, but if you can do that, it makes a ton of spin for a consistent and dangerous opening loop.  Then you can drive the next ball.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Going from what you say is a low throw rubber to T05 which is a very high throw rubber seems extreme and could mess up the rest of your game to fix one technique fixable situation. (I always think you pick your rubber based on your main game play, not on the exceptions).

I don't about the OP skill level and previous rubbers he used on forehand. Me however a flat hitter of 2300 USATT definitely knows what he is talking about. I have used bryce highspeed for a few months coming from Tenergy 05/64 on the backhand. And yes there is a difference but for a skilled player definitely not difficult to overcome. I however switched back to Tenergy since backhand openers and chiquita were a lot less effective.

Tenergy or any other high throw rubber (gambler outlaw is a great example) too works great for a flat hitting game on a fast low throw blade.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 2:22pm

I agree. I love to drive, counter, block and smash thats why I use bryce speed. However, on a low throw hard blade it is very inconsistent if someone flat hits to my fh. I suppose its just a matter getting use to and adjusting? But how much can I adjust my technique to suit this rubber. Perhaps T25 is a better rubber for what I am looking for?

Believe me go with T05
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 3:29pm
T05
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 3:39pm
He already said no to T05 guys. 
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Believe me go with T05

Wouldn't T05 be too sensitive to spin to smash and block consistently tho?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2019 at 6:31pm
bokai check your pm
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 2:44am
This is subjective, as always, based on the way you hit the ball and your standard, as well as that of the person commenting. With the context set, bearing in mind I am probably USATT 2000-2200 depending on the day, I have found MX-P and Rhyzm 48 to be superior flat hitting rubbers by some distance compared to T05. Rhyzm is more towards Bryce in feel i.e. More speed than spin but this means it is easier to hit through opponents spin without as much concentration on bat angle to compensate for their spin. Downside for Rhyzm compared to MX-P is less spin on the open up, serves etc. MX-P is a beast smashing rubber, and it spins nearly as well as T05 too on brush loops using just the topsheet. The extra grip does mean you have to close the face a little more though when smashing through your opponents spinny loops. I myself I am considering going back to Rhyzm from MX-P as the clicky speed glue feeling was awesome and it was so easy to just hit through everything. I am getting frustrated with the lack of advantage gained by using a spinny rubber as the players in my league (mostly USATT 2200-2500 at a guess) aren't fussed by spin at all, the only way through them is placement and/or power, both of which Rhyzm is great at.

A forum member sells Rhyzm for a very respectable 32USD a sheet here: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/promotion-for-blades-and-rubbers-update_topic80315.html 

In the future, I would also recommend a blade with Tamca 5000 Carbon in it, then you can hit through any spin coming your way. 

Edited by MydasDiablo - 03/01/2019 at 2:49am
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by MydasDiablo MydasDiablo wrote:

This is subjective, as always, based on the way you hit the ball and your standard, as well as that of the person commenting. With the context set, bearing in mind I am probably USATT 2000-2200 depending on the day, I have found MX-P and Rhyzm 48 to be superior flat hitting rubbers by some distance compared to T05. Rhyzm is more towards Bryce in feel i.e. More speed than spin but this means it is easier to hit through opponents spin without as much concentration on bat angle to compensate for their spin. Downside for Rhyzm compared to MX-P is less spin on the open up, serves etc. MX-P is a beast smashing rubber, and it spins nearly as well as T05 too on brush loops using just the topsheet. The extra grip does mean you have to close the face a little more though when smashing through your opponents spinny loops. I myself I am considering going back to Rhyzm from MX-P as the clicky speed glue feeling was awesome and it was so easy to just hit through everything. I am getting frustrated with the lack of advantage gained by using a spinny rubber as the players in my league (mostly USATT 2200-2500 at a guess) aren't fussed by spin at all, the only way through them is placement and/or power, both of which Rhyzm is great at.

A forum member sells Rhyzm for a very respectable 32USD a sheet here: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/promotion-for-blades-and-rubbers-update_topic80315.html 

In the future, I would also recommend a blade with Tamca 5000 Carbon in it, then you can hit through any spin coming your way. 

Which carbon blade do u recommend?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:02am
Coming from all-wood, probably the Innerforce T-5000 if you can find one. 

It's Limba-Limba-T5000-Ayous-T5000-Limba-Limba I think.

Softer open ups using just the limba outer plies, then dish out the smack down on 3/5/7th ball hitting through to activate the carbon. A guy in my league plays with this blade and none of us can return his drives because they are so fast and the trajectory so shallow on the table after the bounce.   
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:34am
I have a t5000/hinoki blade I could sell you if you're interested.  
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:57am
I would recommend Primorac carbon T5000 this one is very fast but the control is very good. It's slightly slower than a the Gergely carbon which is also amazing.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 8:00pm
Interesting blade choices! However, I am happy with my blade but unsettled with my FH rubber D:.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 10:26pm
Probably T80 then?

Bryce speed, I think, is a much better rubber than T25 in almost every way.
I suppose I never got the point of the 25.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 3:41pm
TSP Super Ventus is worth a look if you are considering T80, much cheaper and just as effective, cool clicking sound on impact too.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 6:44pm
I am sort of biased against other rubbers and only use butterfly rubbers on FH. Im currently contemplating between T25 and T05. I think Bryce speed with the D40+ ball is not good due to its lack of grip for all the shots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic