Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The best forum on the planet???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best forum on the planet???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best forum on the planet???
    Posted: 11/03/2011 at 7:51pm
I joined wanting to know what I was missing. Actually nothing. The most hard to navigate and understand would be a better description.  If you decided to make a forum and make it as user unfriendly as possible, you would have come up with About.com. As for being 'best forum on the planet'  IMO that changes regularly.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 8:21pm
Don't know about being the "best on the planet"... "Sleepiest", yeah.  Sometimes there's only one new post in three hours or more... Sleepy
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 9:21pm
This forum.
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 12:13am
They use to be very good group until the regulars started pissed each other off competing the "who is the expert" title. Most beginner post question will not get any respond for days or have ear full of insults before they getting some answer, if any.

Why? Because no one want to risk their "expertise" to have other resident "expert" jump on them. So you have this "dumb bird fly first" thing going. Eventually, most people got tired and move on and forum members go down with little traffic.

In the case of Marco, I don't think he got kicked off. Most likely he "volunteer" to go away or makes his account got suspended.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by SeeReed SeeReed wrote:

In the case of Marco, I don't think he got kicked off. Most likely he "volunteer" to go away or makes his account got suspended.

Actually, I read all the posts leading to Marco's suspension... He was arguing with a member for a while, and it got so heated Greg banned him permanently.
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 12:31am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Actually, I read all the posts leading to Marco's suspension... He was arguing with a member for a while, and it got so heated Greg banned him permanently.

Knowing his posting style. That is why I said "he makes his account got suspended". Sometime it's easier to have someone else find the steps for you.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 12:33am

Knowing his posting style. That is why I said "he makes his account got suspended". Sometime it's easier to have someone else find the steps for you.

Believe me, I KNOW he was stunned when it happened.  He did not expect it at all, much less permanently.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/04/2011 at 12:34am
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 9:14pm

No.  He said something that pretty much begged for legal action of some kind from somebody. It wasn't about the argument being heated.  It was about stepping over a line that ought not be stepped over.

Edited by wturber - 11/06/2011 at 9:19pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 9:19pm

Believe me, I KNOW he was stunned when it happened.  He did not expect it at all, much less permanently.

If he was stunned, then that is just an example of how sometimes Marco just doesn't get how outlandish some of the things he says really are.  I wasn't stunned at all.  I kinda thought he left Gregg little choice.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2011 at 9:28pm
I only go there rarely.... like when I hear about yet another flame war. I have a friend who loves that forum but I don't know if I'll ever actually join due to hearing about how thing's seem to be there...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 10:34am
Every forum has it particular peculiarities, personalities and so forth.  About.com is no different.  It has good and bad points.  The claim made by Donn that it was the best forum was a facetious jest.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 4:47pm
Poor APW46 is getting a well-deserved flogging at About.com that I warned him about:

"Piggy, you have a lot of opinions.  Have you ever done anything in the sport?  Did you win a gold medal because you like kangaroos.  Do you take photos of koala bears? Is there a difference between watching a tournament and playing in it.  Do you have more knowledge than an Olympian because you watched the olympics on TV?"

-Garbage Man

LOL

Andy, you deserve it for stirring the hornet's nest, lol...

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=150&nav=messages&webtag=ab-tabletennis&tid=33029

Edited by roundrobin - 11/07/2011 at 5:06pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 6:05pm
Yes, but the bad behavior by two members is being pointed out for what it is.

This is why when someone else said that that forum was the most adult, I had to point out that while generally good, the forum certainly has its bad moments.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 6:14pm
Its letting itself down at the moment. I am surprised at S. O'Neil having a go at my forum name, there was just no need for that, and they all seem To suck up to him, apart from the obvious exceptions. 
Its not as If I actually challenged anyone, I just put my view forward as to what is causing the Chinese domination to have gotten worse.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Except these "two" are not ordinary members of that forum, Jay.  You are taking about the undisputed No. 1, and arguably the No. 2 figure (the undisputed #1 apprentice of the undisputed No. 1 figure).  They will NEVER get any warning from the mods for their childish behavior.  Never had, never will.  "Pointed out" is such a joke.  They are bullies and undisputed "pack leaders" of that forum. 

Greg is totally powerless against them, but he's free to prove me wrong anytime.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/07/2011 at 6:41pm
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 7:56pm
Why are we talking about other forum? 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:01pm

Why are we talking about other forum? 

Please, take a look at the title of this thread, SeeReed... Feel free of stay out of the discussion. 

Freedom of speech?  Wink

Edited by roundrobin - 11/07/2011 at 8:01pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:01pm

Poor APW46 is getting a well-deserved flogging at About.com that I warned him about:

"Piggy, you have a lot of opinions.  Have you ever done anything in the sport?  Did you win a gold medal because you like kangaroos.  Do you take photos of koala bears? Is there a difference between watching a tournament and playing in it.  Do you have more knowledge than an Olympian because you watched the olympics on TV?"

-Garbage Man

LOL

Andy, you deserve it for stirring the hornet's nest, lol...

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=150&nav=messages&webtag=ab-tabletennis&tid=33029

That place sounds like a fever swamp.

Edited by Baal - 11/07/2011 at 8:02pm
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:12pm
Now I understand why.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:14pm

Except these "two" are not ordinary members of that forum, Jay.  You are taking about the undisputed No. 1, and arguably the No. 2 figure (the undisputed #1 apprentice of the undisputed No. 1 figure). 

Actually, as a long time member of the About forum, I'd be willing to dispute, what you consider undisputed  :o)
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:15pm
What is undisputed is not open to be disputed. 
End of discussion.  Tongue
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 8:44pm

... unless the undisputed isn't really undisputed.

Beginning of discussion ...

Edited by VictorK - 11/07/2011 at 8:45pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

... unless the undisputed isn't really undisputed.

Beginning of discussion ...

I am not sure which part of "undisputed" facts you wish to discuss, Vic... That SPO is not their undisputed No. 1 poster in terms of... everything?  That Tahl is not Sean's undisputed No. 1 disciple? 
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 9:24pm

I am not sure which part of "undisputed" facts you wish to discuss, Vic... That SPO is not their undisputed No. 1 poster in terms of... everything?  That Tahl is not Sean's undisputed No. 1 disciple? 

The former ... plus the statement that Tahl is "arguably the No. 2 figure" ... plus the statement that they are "undisputed pack leaders" on the forum
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 9:31pm
Sorry Vic, not interested... At all.  As I said, they are undisputed facts.  Anyone who spent as much time as you did on that forum knows.  I will not continue this discussion with you about SPO or the Garbage Man.

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 9:47pm
No problem at all, I respect your will not to discuss it.

Also, we're both entitled to having our own opinions, regarless of how we see the "facts" and how much time we spend on that forum :o)

Edited by VictorK - 11/07/2011 at 10:06pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 10:15pm

I would like to have disciples.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I would like to have disciples.

You can have pupils, but can't call them disciples until they have won numerous Paralympics medals, and ranked No. 1 or 2 in the world in their category.  Are you worthy?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2011 at 10:27pm
I don't know.  Check me thread on thought for the day.  I believe I am sufficiently mysterious.  That plus my forum name is that of a Canaanite fertility god.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2011 at 1:47am

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Except these "two" are not ordinary members of that forum, Jay.  You are taking about the undisputed No. 1, and arguably the No. 2 figure (the undisputed #1 apprentice of the undisputed No. 1 figure).  They will NEVER get any warning from the mods for their childish behavior.  Never had, never will.  "Pointed out" is such a joke.  They are bullies and undisputed "pack leaders" of that forum. 

Greg is totally powerless against them, but he's free to prove me wrong anytime.

Sean is challenged and disagreed with regularly and generally takes it in stride.  If he is No.1, it isn't a particularly powerful No. 1.  His playing with Wiggy's name along the sarcasm is a bit unusual - especially considering that he doesn't know Wiggy.  My observation is that he usually reserves that kind of stuff for when he becomes exasperated with someone or he has a long history with that person.  I observe that many otherwise reasonable people will do that as well.  But I'm afraid he jumped the gun with Wiggy and he's dug his heels in on this one (IMO) to his own detriment.

I'd say that a large portion of the forum doesn't take the person you position as No. 2 seriously at all.  As far as influence, he's not No. 2 at all. In fact, quite a few forum members raked him over the coals pretty good recently for his poor behavior in a match.  He also disagrees with Sean frequently.

Edited by wturber - 11/08/2011 at 1:52am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic