Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The End of My Long Pips Dream ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End of My Long Pips Dream ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The End of My Long Pips Dream ???
    Posted: 12/04/2021 at 6:34pm
My flirtation with the dark side may be coming to a screeching halt.  Today, I finally got to play against someone knowledgable of and skilled against long pips.  All I seemed to get were dead serves and dead pushes to my pips.  I either misread the spin and sailed an attack long to the barriers,  popped up high dead balls which screamed "kill me, kill me" as they gently floated over the net, or dumped attempted short returns about 3 in on my side of the net. 

IT WAS NOT PRETTY

And there was more.  He mixed in just enough heavy pushes to the Fh side to surprise me and make me look like I had never Fh looped underspin in my life. And of course when he did use his tricky hard to read serves he made sure they were wide to the Fh and completely out of the reach of the LP that I hoped would help me handle such serves.  When I did manage to get some deep heavy underspin to his Bh,  he simply used his short pips to hit fast drives with almost no spin or slow loops that looked like they had high spin but really did not.  The first either went right by me or were blocked long.  The second were blocked into the net or popped up with little spin perfect for a follow up kill.

My only hope may be the new Cybershape racket.  Or getting Stellan to coach me in matches.  Look what it did for Truls.

Mark - Who can't quite find the light switch so he can truly make the dark side work.

Edited by mjamja - 12/04/2021 at 6:37pm
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2021 at 6:49pm
Use the Armstrong Attack8, 1.8 and you can attack with sink and without chopping.
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2021 at 9:32pm
Long pips are very hard to use.  Hadn't you ever borrowed somebody else's to try before you switched yourself?  

Most of the pushblockers tend to use grass dtecs 0X.  I tried that stuff and couldn't hit the ball in the direction of the table, much less onto my opponent's half.  Ball just goes wherever it wants.  

Come back to short pips, those are nice. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 1:13am
Without my glasses I read "The end of Ma long Pipe Dream" and I thought "What happened to him???"
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 1:53am
Hi,

Learn to twiddle, and play with the inverted on the BH, and LP on the FH .. 
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 6:30am
Looks like that guy is a way higher point than you.
Don't be upset, there are many players couldn't deal with pips.

To win the experienced player, you should know how to attack by pips or to twiddle side.
30 years old Mazunov (since I had started)
Bh; Spectol 1.5mm
Fh: H3
Equipment Alchemist
and yes I am a chopper!
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 7:49am
You are discovering the term "Dark side" applies to both ends of the table.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 11:43am
Grasshopper thinks he can master LP in just a few months...
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 5:04pm
What long pips are you using? Curl PH is excellent at hitting, blocking, and even looping because the pips are hard and pretty large, so someone hitting dead balls to you wont work. The disadvantage is the reversal is a lot less and chop blocking is hard because the pips dont bend as much. It is difficult to use, but it's devastating when you get used to it.
Nittaku Goriki
Victas VO > 102
TSP Curl P-H OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 7:29pm
I am using RITC 755 with 0.8 sponge.  From what I heard it is not the best LP in any category, but it is good in lots of them.  Thought I would go with something cheap and versatile until I know if I want to continue with LP and I know more about what style I want to play with them.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 6:48am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I am using RITC 755 with 0.8 sponge.  From what I heard it is not the best LP in any category, but it is good in lots of them.  Thought I would go with something cheap and versatile until I know if I want to continue with LP and I know more about what style I want to play with them.

Look, accept the wisdom of the crowds: EVERYBODY is playing with that green thing; PLAY WITH THE GREEN ONE!  [I'm trying not to be too technical.]

Thanks.
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 9:22am
755 in .8 would be a hitting sponge. The blocks are fairly dead, and not very funky either. In fact some people probably don't even realize you have pips for a while! 

If you want to go the more passive blocking route, you must use a low friction sort like d.tecs, troublemaker or hellfire etc. 

Otherwise you're basically just slowing down the ball, removing some spin and waiting to be pummeled! There are long pip hitters, though quite rare and the skill level required is a lot higher. 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

This is one of those things that sounds like it makes sense but doesn't really.  Could be written as 'I chose a pip that is kind of bad at everything, but not really really bad at anything.'

You don't know how to do anything with LP.  Can only learn one skill or sub-style at a time.  Choose whether you mainly want to block, chop or hit, and use a pip that is great at that one thing.  If you want to try all three, no problem.  Buy three completely different optimized setups.  Then you will truly be on your way as a long pipsqueak.  Tongue

Edited by BRS - 12/06/2021 at 9:59am
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 10:10am
Yeah I think this is an important point. You have to determine what it is you want. If you want to hit, consider Curl P-3, Curl P-H, etc. If you want to purely block, consider Dtecs, Desperado 2, etc. A jack of all trades pip is not going to be like a jack of all trades inverted rubber.
Nittaku Goriki
Victas VO > 102
TSP Curl P-H OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 12:14pm
The problem is NOT the equipment. 755 is not bad at everything. It is actually pretty dang good at almost everything. mjamja just needs to learn how to play with it. LP learning is not quick. Practice, you tube videos and careful thought is what he needs. Take if from a guy who has EJed with LP more than almost anyone here, 755 will do the trick. Better players are going to still beat him and make him look silly no matter what is on his racket. That is what LP play is all about.

I think sponge is good him, as he wants to hit. He is not ever going to be primarily a pushblocker. 755 has plenty of funk. 
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

The problem is NOT the equipment. 755 is not bad at everything. It is actually pretty dang good at almost everything. mjamja just needs to learn how to play with it. LP learning is not quick. Practice, you tube videos and careful thought is what he needs. Take if from a guy who has EJed with LP more than almost anyone here, 755 will do the trick. Better players are going to still beat him and make him look silly no matter what is on his racket. That is what LP play is all about.

I think sponge is good him, as he wants to hit. He is not ever going to be primarily a pushblocker. 755 has plenty of funk. 
 I completely agree with this. Some guys just love playing vs LPs the way I love playing defenders...despite losing to them as often as not...

And no one has mentioned that short pips players, in particular, are the bane of the LP user's life. They usually win if they're better than you and sometimes, even if they're not. They give you v little to work with, LP-wise. Don't give up! You will not get any cheap points anymore, with the plastic ball, against good players, as in the celluloid days. But you will earn points with any LP rubber you choose if you learn to use it...which will take some time. Years actually. I'm still learning new stuff and correcting faults of my own making, but the learning is its own reward in a way. And there is nothing like a laser straight block loaded with backspin flying back at some monster looper. A great feeling, lemme tell ya! 

2 things I would add: 1) I would actually change to OX. Take the sponge off the 755 (a fine rubber; nothing at all wrong with it and capable of real funk and backspin if used on the right blade with soft hands...). It's easier to learn to use it effectively w'out sponge; you can block, chop, druckshuft (sic) with it; it's very possible to hit with it in OX and it more dangerous when you do. (More dangerous for yourself as well b/c you'll miss alot at 1st but...) 

2) Folks above recommend twiddling as the solution. It may well be but it takes years to learn to do it play. It only takes a few weeks, however, to learn to do it while returning serve and causes alot of problems for opponents of all stripes, even v good ones, at least in the first set or so... Doing this might just get you those few easy points I said you'd never get again with the plastic ball...Big smile
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 6:48pm
I think you guys are really underestimating me.  In only one month I have gone from 800 to a respectable 1200.  At this rate I should be 2000 by Valentine's day.

And speaking of Valentine's Day just remember

Life is like an LP return,  you never know what you will get.

Mark - Who hears voices in his head saying "Play, Mark. Play"

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 10:35pm
Change to 755 OX. Don't be shy about chicken-winging tricky serves to your FH. Learn to topspin drive with your BH LP.. 755 OX is good for that. And learn to impart sidespin with your BH LP.. today's players are often unprepared to deal with anything off the normal axis.

Edited by nathanso - 12/06/2021 at 10:36pm
BBC, SP, LP
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 12:48am
Dr Evil is a pretty good rubber for all around change of pace. It's an approved hardbat rubber, very versatile, hit, block, chop.

This video shows using it to block similar to LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNiabKhOfuY
allencorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allencorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 1:34am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Dr Evil is a pretty good rubber for all around change of pace. It's an approved hardbat rubber, very versatile, hit, block, chop.

This video shows using it to block similar to LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNiabKhOfuY

I echo this. I played with Dr. Evil on my backhand for a long time. It can chop decently, hit through underspin well, even generate a bit of spin on a serve. Fun to play with.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 4:20pm
LP alone is not that effective imo, coz even as an inverted player once you get the hang of it and give them lots of long junk balls they don't like, they'll give you a lot of juicy attack opportunities which you can just finish off to their non LP side. 

The really irritating styles are the those who combine it with a powerful inverted FH loopkill, because they actually attack these long junk balls hard so you have to be very careful (can't play all short coz you'll get murdered by the LP returns, can't play all long or you'll get destroyed by the inverted loopkill). 
-------
Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tibhar K1 Plus
BH: Dignics 05
bleki View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2022 at 3:17pm
I agree with @jt99sf. In my opinion Armstrong 8 Type M/L is one of best middle long pimples out to attack near the table. For quite a while I used to play pimples (on Forehand) with high speed sponges and a so-called build-in speed-gluing effect. The main problems resulted in an incorrect distance to the table, when opponents began to play no-spin balls , sometimes very high, sometimes fast to the corners of the table. I couldn't attack as I wanted, because the bat-angel wasn't appropriate with regard to the near table-distance. With Armstrong 8 you can attack both underspin, no-spin and topspin balls from all distances without special attention to bat-angel (normal adjustments are always necessary !).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic