Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The End of the Harimoto Dream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End of the Harimoto Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by manwithabigmission manwithabigmission wrote:

Harimoto's got time. I personally believe he will make atleast one olympic or wttc final in his career. 

that is a far cry from the "next big thing" that was pronounced when he came into the spotlight

Considering the ways in which most people across all sports are proclaimed to be the next big thing and then flame out, the fact he has become a top 3 player, won the world tour finals, 2nd place at world cup... He has absolutely lived up to expectations. He is playing below expectations right now, but to act like he is some sort of disappointment is insane.
disappointing or not depends on your expectations.  If he has met your expectations then that is fine.  I myself didn't have any expectations, but he was hyped a while back...I am commenting on the people who did the hyping and not so much on HT himself
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2021 at 11:02am
x

Edited by tom - 11/30/2021 at 11:04am
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 12:08pm
Liu said that harimoto coaches are really bad , he feels.sorry about him.

Liu said its too sad  that there are no good japanese coaches and if HT would be trained un china it would be a súper player.

Hi,

The above two statements have been posted in this thread.  I would like to read, in an English translation, more specifically what he said.

I'm skeptical for a number of reasons.

1)  Of great challenge is to reconcile Harimoto's record-breaking performances with the evaluation that all of his coaches are "really bad."  

2)  With the outstanding production of great players out of Japan consistently throughout the years, stating that "there are no good Japanese coaches" poses a similar challenge to point 1) above.

3)  Liu is an ITTF senior official.  Such proclamations as stated above are very highly unbecoming an international representative toward a giant of a table tennis country as Japan is.  

4)  These Liu statements are not characteristic, in any way, with the tone and tenor of previous statements he has made.

5)  Harimoto's dad has made the public observation that the training environment in China is vastly superior to Japan, with an emphasis on the quality of training partners and the more advanced training culture that exists in China.  Harimoto's dad did not reference the coaching aspect.

Thanks.
Muhammad Ali reacted to light in 150 milliseconds, near the theoretical limit of human visual reaction time.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Liu said its too sad  that there are no good japanese coaches and if HT would be trained un china it would be a súper player.

Hi,

The above two statements have been posted in this thread.  I would like to read, in an English translation, more specifically what he said.

I'm skeptical for a number of reasons.

1)  Of great challenge is to reconcile Harimoto's record-breaking performances with the evaluation that all of his coaches are "really bad."  

2)  With the outstanding production of great players out of Japan consistently throughout the years, stating that "there are no good Japanese coaches" poses a similar challenge to point 1) above.

3)  Liu is an ITTF senior official.  Such proclamations as stated above are very highly unbecoming an international representative toward a giant of a table tennis country as Japan is.  

4)  These Liu statements are not characteristic, in any way, with the tone and tenor of previous statements he has made.

5)  Harimoto's dad has made the public observation that the training environment in China is vastly superior to Japan, with an emphasis on the quality of training partners and the more advanced training culture that exists in China.  Harimoto's dad did not reference the coaching aspect.

Thanks.
Do you believe Liu statement was for the world to consume? It was for inside the wall, and I was sure he spoke in mandarin as well. In fact, I read more or less the same statements from various sources.  hey, "How you speak depends on where you live" applies to everything, not only to CNT peronnel. So, don't take them seriously Wink.

Edited by Egghead - 12/02/2021 at 1:46pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 2:48pm
Liu might have said it or not, but there might be some problem with Japanese coaches IMO. Most JNT players stopped improving after their early 20s or even sooner, is it just coincidence? 
Men: Mizutani, Koki Niwa, Yoshimura Maharu, Jin Ueda, Yuto Muramatsu, Yuya Oshima, the list goes on
Women: Ai Fukuhara, kasumi Ishikawa
They showed potential at young age but could never step to the next level. The training environment in China is best, but Japan can’t be worst than Europe? 

Edited by balldance - 12/02/2021 at 2:48pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 3:26pm
Being exposed internationally too early might be the issue? in China, they progress and toughen their skin and mental at home and only after that do they get to reach international stage.

Also exposing a kid to adults too early might be a mistake. Being a wonder kid is great but after that, when they become adults, they need to start from scratch to get to the top level again as adults. That's twice the hard work and it takes a toll on a human being. Maybe it's better to let the kids play with kids and avoiding exposing kids to adult play might be key. This is just a proposition of course, I don't know $%^&.

Harimoto just might be temporarily burnt out and that's why the studies idea is good, he needs to fresh up his mind with something else until he gets hungry again and enjoys playing.

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 4:53pm
College + TT is possible - it's just very difficult!  Here's some proof!

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 12/02/2021 at 4:56pm
DHS HL3
FH: MXP50
BH: FastArc G1
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

College + TT is possible - it's just very difficult!  Here's some proof!

haha, tell that to NFL / NBA  / NHL players LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Being exposed internationally too early might be the issue? in China, they progress and toughen their skin and mental at home and only after that do they get to reach international stage.

Also exposing a kid to adults too early might be a mistake. Being a wonder kid is great but after that, when they become adults, they need to start from scratch to get to the top level again as adults. That's twice the hard work and it takes a toll on a human being. Maybe it's better to let the kids play with kids and avoiding exposing kids to adult play might be key. This is just a proposition of course, I don't know $%^&.

Harimoto just might be temporarily burnt out and that's why the studies idea is good, he needs to fresh up his mind with something else until he gets hungry again and enjoys playing.

No, la, do you think it is all holding hand and singing campfire songs in the China system. The real issues with Harimoto are (1) he is good, but he is not Tom Brady or Mcjesus great. (2) He could not reinvented himself after other players figured him out. A superior coaching may be able to help him overcome the issues, but I will not hold my breath. 
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

It’s unbelievable that Harimoto doesn’t feel good with his grip and can’t find a good racket after trying dozens of them. Nope, the problem is his technique and footwork, or more precise, his personal coach(es). They don’t find the right path to develop him. He might be stuck at this level until he has a new coach with new ideas. Meanwhile, other players are improving all the time.

Have you noticed that the japanese coach kurosawa wasnt in houston coaching harimoto as usual?
Kurosawa resigned from the Japanese coach position after the Olympics. I think Harimoto’s dad is coaching him. However, he has stalled for a few years, not just recent months. 
What did Liu say? He mean the match coaching or training coaching?

I heard that about japanese coaches in the past , thats the reason ito has like 4  private coaches.
Nah, I don't believe this, I believe what he said was "It remains to be seen if Japanese coaches can bring out the best from him, or he's not sure if Japanese coaches can bring out the best from him, at least that's from what I remember, saying" Japanese coaches" are not good is a very categorical or generalizing statement, And I don't think he said this in a public interview especially for the sake of diplomacy 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 8:47pm
Nah, I don't believe this, I believe what he said was "It remains to be seen if Japanese coaches can bring out the best from him, or he's not sure if Japanese coaches can bring out the best from him, at least that's from what I remember, saying" Japanese coaches" are not good is a very categorical or generalizing statement, And I don't think he said this in a public interview especially for the sake of diplomacy 

This observation above has high plausibility.

Thanks!!
Muhammad Ali reacted to light in 150 milliseconds, near the theoretical limit of human visual reaction time.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by troubadour troubadour wrote:

It’s unbelievable that Harimoto doesn’t feel good with his grip and can’t find a good racket after trying dozens of them. Nope, the problem is his technique and footwork, or more precise, his personal coach(es). They don’t find the right path to develop him. He might be stuck at this level until he has a new coach with new ideas. Meanwhile, other players are improving all the time.

Have you noticed that the japanese coach kurosawa wasnt in houston coaching harimoto as usual?
Kurosawa resigned from the Japanese coach position after the Olympics. I think Harimoto’s dad is coaching him. However, he has stalled for a few years, not just recent months. 

I heard that about japanese coaches in the past , thats the reason ito has like 4  private coaches.

You dont believe it but thats true, There s another interview where somebody said japanese coaches ruined some players.

If they re not bad why ishikawa and ito has many coaches?

The interview  is over there, I have seen that japanese coaches making multiball drills like they would be coaching a high school player.

Well maybe  there must be a reason why japanese players perform so bad 

1 National champion UDA lost in 1st round
2 Ishikawa lost 11 0 to Singapur player in Tokyo Olympics.
3 Niwa lost 11 0 to dima in Tokyo.

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 9:30pm
If coach is the concern, they should hire Coach Qiu to train him. Qiu used to be Mizutani and Ishikawa's personal coach.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2021 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

If coach is the concern, they should hire Coach Qiu to train him. Qiu used to be Mizutani and Ishikawa's personal coach.
Did you miss the news when there was power struggle in the JNT? Don't think JNT will fire his dad LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 2:03am

You dont believe it but thats true, There s another interview where somebody said japanese coaches ruined some players.

The interview  is over there, I have seen that japanese coaches making multiball drills like they would be coaching a high school player.

I literally watched the video, unless there's another video of him where he talks about that, And please do provide a link to the video.
And you talk of "someone" said japanese coaches destroy Players, maybe that's just the angry nationalist in that whoever that is person speaking, Couple of the people in the Japanese support system are from China now so that's an own on the Chinese system itself.

Besides Xiang Peng, Kuai Man and co don't have obvious advantages over their japanese counterparts and are even less experienced, Should our conclusion be the Chinese system has turned bad??, Things are never so simple, And Let's avoid generizing or cynical statements like this.

Why are you pointing out Kasumi and Niwa, everyone has always been of the opinion that they are not much of a threat. Even Uda still has a long way to go. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 8:40am

I literally watched the video, unless there's another video of him where he talks about that, And please do provide a link to the video.
And you talk of "someone" said japanese coaches destroy Players, maybe that's just the angry nationalist in that whoever that is person speaking, Couple of the people in the Japanese support system are from China now so that's an own on the Chinese system itself.

Besides Xiang Peng, Kuai Man and co don't have obvious advantages over their japanese counterparts and are even less experienced, Should our conclusion be the Chinese system has turned bad??, Things are never so simple, And Let's avoid generizing or cynical statements like this.

Why are you pointing out Kasumi and Niwa, everyone has always been of the opinion that they are not much of a threat. Even Uda still has a long way to go. 

Video was about 2018 so its hard to find. Its up to you to believe or not. You just need to take a look at the results.

Please explain why ito and kasumi have  several personal  coaches if japanese team coaches are  good?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Did you miss the news when there was power struggle in the JNT? Don't think JNT will fire his dad LOL

Qiu made an excellent work with mizutani and maze.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

LGL predicted in an interview in early 2018 that Harimoto's peak would probably arrive in Paris 2024 instead of Tokyo 2020, but whether the coaches could bring him to that level would be another story...

Harimoto himself expressed that Paris 2024 wouldn't necessarily be his peak in an interview after Tokyo 2020. The bigger problem right now is he has doubts about his game. It's not certain his coaches could help him overcome that...

@1:37, https://video.zhibo.tv/detail/video/11144.html
Quote Germany has surpassed us in world ranking, but I'm not the least bit worried
On the other hand, Tomokazu Harimoto, given his accomplishments in his age group, and his passion for table tennis
Purely from the aspect of playing, our athletes of the same age would have no advantage against him
He is going to be the biggest variable
Because for Harimoto, his greatest moment will probably not be Tokyo
but Paris, the one after
The one after, I think will definitely be Harimoto's prime.
However, I'm merely thinking from the standpoint of China
Whether the Japanese coaches will be able to bring him to the highest level, that's another story
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 11:33am

sry, my bad, I don't know Miz's dad was coaching Miz and was in the JNT coaching staff system before.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 11:56am
The misinformation in this thread cracks me up.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 11:58am

LOLLOLWink
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 1:51pm

LOLLOLWink
Is that not the post-2000's internet for LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Egghead - 12/03/2021 at 6:09pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 2:51pm

sry, my bad, I don't know Miz's dad was coaching Miz and was in the JNT coaching staff system before.

Qiu jian xin son is the german penholder Qiu dang
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 7:10pm

Qiu Dang played very well in this tournament. He could be Gemany's #4 after Timo, Dima and Franz.
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 7:14pm

What about it?
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2021 at 7:50pm

Qiu Dang played very well in this tournament. He could be Gemany's #4 after Timo, Dima and Franz.

He pulled 7 games to liang jinkun
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2021 at 6:46pm
he was out of training for long time before WTTC, two weeks later with small training camp he is  in top form in Singapure and looks like beast . it is unfair that he gets his position when he didnt use to be part of TT family and he is learning some bs to go to college, and people  like  Matsushima Sora who can be new prodigy and beat everybody with FZD on top shelf sits in home because dear Haribo didnt have mental attitude to say- sorry guys I have more problems with family and their college bs  than tt .
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 3:23am
Harimoto's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

How many times must he prove you wrong, before you stop doubting him?

He's a fascinating talent, even with various handicaps he will shine very brightly. I should really hope he doesn't let college distract him, I don't understand how that's a sound financial decision. He will always make more money [and enjoy] by focusing on TT full time. Hence, the studies are a distraction, and you can only have so much time / focus / energy in a day. You can't train, fatigue, rest, and study and do all of those things without concessions.

Most athletes try go full time, but aren't talented/financially set enough to avoid working/studying part time. In Asia, sometimes the dream is to be so good that you can train part time and study, apparently.
timoboll89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 4:17am
does anyone have an idea of the income of japanese pro players playing the T-league?

Edited by timoboll89 - 12/07/2021 at 4:19am
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 6:58am
I don't get all the fuzz about this.. Mizutani entered at International stage very early also, attended university and got a medal at Rio at 27yo. 

Forget about beat chinese, Harimoto fight is for bronze medal aganist LYJ, Hugo and others and he still can do that. Eventually these guys can win a match aganist CNT but they are not in the same league at big events (WTTC and Olympics)
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic