Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the equipment frustration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Equipments do matter,  Ask Ma long to use 1980s dhs rubbers and blade without boosting and he will probably lose all his matches. 

ask him to use his 2019 rubbers and blade without booster and he will loose all his matches as well LOL
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 10:06am
equipment does not matter as long it matches your game quite well - not talking about some unsuitable combination.  Do not talk about the pros - I don't think this applies to (almost) any of forumers 
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

Equipments do matter,  Ask Ma long to use 1980s dhs rubbers and blade without boosting and he will probably lose all his matches. 

ask him to use his 2019 rubbers and blade without booster and he will loose all his matches as well LOL

yes, quite true, fully agree with you. 
dontpip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontpip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2019 at 10:03pm

[sarcasm] Equipment really does not matter. A pro can beat a beginner with a clipboard  [/sarcasm]

Edited by dontpip - 06/23/2019 at 12:17am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by dontpip dontpip wrote:

[sarcasm] Equipment really does not matter. A pro can beat a beginner with a clipboard  [/sarcasm]
Equipment choices can matter.  But often it seems not to. 
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 10:34pm
I can't be the only one who finds it ironic that a forum member, known to advocate for the banning of pips, to declare that equipment doesn't matter. LoL!!!

FdT
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 11:42pm
Equipment matters, but doesn't improve your game, in my humble opinion. Personally, I think the best strategy is to find equipment that best compliments your style of play, and then stick with that equipment to built consistency. The changes in equipment from there should be fairly minimal - like changing from T05 to T05H, for example. I think a lot of people go about it somewhat backwards - as in they get some equipment and then try to make their game work with it. Not really the best way to progress. The one downside to building consistency with familiarity (in equipment) is that it's not really fun. Meaning, it's probably more fun for most to try out new stuff and such. But if you look at most top players, they've generally played with the same stuff since they were teenagers at least - with, what I would call, minimal changes since then.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

When it comes to equipment making a difference, I often think of the matches I've watched where (European) pros look at their racquet after a missed hit as if the rubber didn't react as expected (often slippage or a dead ball). I cannot think of a single time I've seen a Chinese player do that. 
Not to say my match views are all encompassing, but more often than not it seems to hold true, and those mis-hits might be the difference in the match at pro levels.

It's funny you mention that, because it is such a classic move for many to do after a missed shot. I remember people doing this all the way back in the early 80s. I think it's a bad habit that many adopts, more than anything. Like saying "cho", for example. (not that saying"cho" is bad, but that it easily becomes habitual). I don't think people actually look at the rubber with a sense of it mis-performing, but more so to see if there's a piece of debris or a drop of sweat or something like that on it. The same way people will wipe the table surface after a miss. I mean "it must be something that's 'wrong' with the table... or the rubber... because I couldn't POSSIBLY miss that shot" is what is trying to be communicated. Sort of silly, of course - and with no ill intend. It's interesting that you say Chinese players don't do that. I must admit I've never noticed. Perhaps that type of reaction/habit would be frowned upon in China - I don't know. Regardless, I certainly don't think any kind of "questioning the equipment" should be read into these reactions.

Edited by Pondus - 06/27/2019 at 1:39pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2019 at 12:28pm
it matters to an EXTENT
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2019 at 12:59pm
About looking at their racket after a missed shot: I remember Kong Linghui doing it during his 2003 1/2 final v. Schlager. "what's going on???"

The full match is available, better than those 7 min highlights...

Schlager's face at 12-12 in the 7th!!! He was not going to lose that day!

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

About looking at their racket after a missed shot: I remember Kong Linghui doing it during his 2003 1/2 final v. Schlager. "what's going on???"

Schlager's face at 12-12 in the 7th!!! He was not going to lose that day!

my detonators.....

Edited by pingpungpeng - 06/27/2019 at 1:15pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2019 at 6:41pm
Today's setup was

Donic crest off
Joola rhyzer 48 in fh
Joola rhyzer 48 in bh

Felt pretty good to go back to fast equipment.
Much easier to play in general.
Results were also good.

I don't think I'll be going back to the slow paddle for now....
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2019 at 7:17pm

Today's setup was

Donic crest off
Joola rhyzer 48 in fh
Joola rhyzer 48 in bh

Felt pretty good to go back to fast equipment.
Much easier to play in general.
Results were also good.

I don't think I'll be going back to the slow paddle for now....

Lol you're really an EJ eh....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2019 at 7:25pm
When it's about speed rating, the fun factor is huge when we are not pro and a little bit of leeway is allowed; what's the point of having the best to favor technique if we're bored to death?

What does a bit of leeway mean though? 

My best level was probably with MJ with Palio blitz on both sides, it was not too fast even though on the paper, many high level coaches would say it's too fast for my U2k level. 

Today I have things like BBC Hinoki Ghost and it's OFF. What I think my main setup is? 2 Vega Pro FL 73 and 74g with Rasanter R47 and/or Fastarc G-1 and I find them a bit tamed from the MJ, it really is a MJ that went vegan or something...My MJ SZLC falls into the nonsense fast at my level but it's cool to feel, really cool, in a drawer, just to have it so I don't think about it anymore lol.

For an amateur under 2k wanting speed but not stupid fast, that's where I would stop, right before hitting the regular MJ level. The Vega Pro is my best example (they can be found under 85 gr easily) and they are very solid, never hollow and present no vibrations even when very light; or a Barwell Fleet? HL5? the list is long. The point is anything OFF is controllable for a player hitting often enough and having ok foundations.

edit: the Vega Pro blade is discontinued but some are still FS in ST and FL at paddle palace and various Amazon stores like the PingPongHouse for example.

Edited by stiltt - 06/29/2019 at 7:41pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2019 at 8:16pm
I don't remember feeling "wow, that shot would have gone in with the slow setup".

But I did feel the contrary a few times.
"wow, there's no way I could have done that shot with the slow setup".

mainly in shots where I didn't have much time and had to use the power of the racket.

is this possible?
is it easier to play with faster bouncier setup?
this seems to be the conclusion.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 06/29/2019 at 8:46pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2019 at 1:37am

Yes! Now I remember this match and Kong looking at his racket like "WTF?". See, I was totally wrong. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2019 at 4:17am
at 1m10s it's clear the rubber is not good per his glance?

edit: from DLC1325 says, I think it is at 13m26sec, at 1-1 in games, klh to serve and leading 2-0. klh almost says exactly that if we read his lips "WTF?"

by the way look at 1 0 in games and 1-1, Schlager to serve twice at 7m44s. Incredible 2 serves, the 2nd one being kind of humiliating LOL. It's hard to believe they can fool themselves at that level yet apparently it's possible. klh does the same later at 28m52s.

Edited by stiltt - 07/01/2019 at 12:51am
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2019 at 1:51am

I don't remember feeling "wow, that shot would have gone in with the slow setup".

But I did feel the contrary a few times.
"wow, there's no way I could have done that shot with the slow setup".

mainly in shots where I didn't have much time and had to use the power of the racket.

is this possible?
is it easier to play with faster bouncier setup?
this seems to be the conclusion.
That is YOUR conclusion buddy
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2019 at 2:12am
Equipment does not matter ?
Please by all means swap your Viscaria with 
my Dhs PG7. LOL
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2019 at 4:59am

at 1m10s it's clear the rubber is not good per his glance?

edit: from DLC1325 says, I think it is at 13m26sec, at 1-1 in games, klh to serve and leading 2-0. klh almost says exactly that if we read his lips "WTF?"

by the way look at 1 0 in games and 1-1, Schlager to serve twice at 7m44s. Incredible 2 serves, the 2nd one being kind of humiliating LOL. It's hard to believe they can fool themselves at that level yet apparently it's possible. klh does the same later at 28m52s.

Yeah, that ball died pretty hard @13:26. And those were some brutal Schlager serves!
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2019 at 5:31am

I've had this though a lot lately--I should use a slower blade/rubbers when in reality all my problems could be solved by relaxing more. Personally I find the equipment doesn't make that huge of a difference but my confidence that I can make the ball do what I want with it does. If I tell myself a setup is really fast I tend to tighten up instead of really bringing out the touch.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2019 at 11:32am
I did notice that in some shots I acquired more confidence by using the slower setup.
maybe I will switch between them.
sometimes use the slow, sometimes the fast.
so I don't lose the custom to hit the ball hard I acquired with the slow.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2019 at 8:01pm
Today I used a rather strange combination.
Tibhar lebesson
Fh - butterfly rozena
Bh - sanwei target

Kind of the opposite of what the chinese pros use.
Rozena felt really good in the fh.
It gave me a lot of power but I still had control.

I think unboosted chinese rubber in the fh is not for me.
and I don't want to boost.
so I guess I'll have to use euro fh.

In the bh the sanwei I like it because I can hit super hard.
I think this is actually improving my bh technique.

For now I will keep using this setup.....

Edited by pingpungpeng - 07/06/2019 at 8:41pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2019 at 10:29pm
I'm going to play with an ALL+/OFF- looping blade instead of my usual OFF/OFF+ stiff, fast blade and see what happens. From past experiences I'm certain I would play better and enjoy the game more with the looping blade. I'm so conditioned to fast, stiff blades this is probably going to suck for a while!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2019 at 10:45pm
last time I used a donic crest off.
hard, fast, but it's around 95g and with a rather big head.

lebesson is like 83g and with a small head.
the lower weight and smaller head felt pretty good.

power there's more than enough with the butterfly rozena.
it's a pretty fast rubber....
actually after using unboosted h3 for some time it really feels like a rocket.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 07/06/2019 at 10:49pm
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 2:32am
pingpungpeng, based on what I saw in this thread you've done pretty much everything possible to ruine your TT game: often change rubbers and blades and also very important - weight of setups. All of these fun exercises destroy your muscle memory, well there is not much to remember for your body and brain. 

Any setup you choose requires time to get used to. 20 hours of play - at least. If you need an advise ...

Since your EJ is not going to go anywhere soon one of the ways to put you back on track is this. Have two setups. Do not change anything in one of the setups for 2 months. No matter what, you loose or you win, just do not change. For EJ fun have another setup but play it no more than 30 minutes in the beginning of every training. It will give you time to satisfy EJ but also will not have too much effect on the rest of the training. Body takes 30 min to warmup anyway. After you feel like warmed up, go for prime racket and keep it for the rest of the evening. For 2 months.

Regardless of what you are going to choose as main racket, either slow or fast, head heavy or well balanced ... in the end of the second month you will like it (the first signs of it will come in 3 weeks). 183 - 188g is the best.

Obviously you can skip the second setup all together, if you can. Can you?
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

pingpungpeng, based on what I saw in this thread you've done pretty much everything possible to ruine your TT game: often change rubbers and blades and also very important - weight of setups. All of these fun exercises destroy your muscle memory, well there is not much to remember for your body and brain. 

Any setup you choose requires time to get used to. 20 hours of play - at least. If you need an advise ...

Since your EJ is not going to go anywhere soon one of the ways to put you back on track is this. Have two setups. Do not change anything in one of the setups for 2 months. No matter what, you loose or you win, just do not change. For EJ fun have another setup but play it no more than 30 minutes in the beginning of every training. It will give you time to satisfy EJ but also will not have too much effect on the rest of the training. Body takes 30 min to warmup anyway. After you feel like warmed up, go for prime racket and keep it for the rest of the evening. For 2 months.

Regardless of what you are going to choose as main racket, either slow or fast, head heavy or well balanced ... in the end of the second month you will like it (the first signs of it will come in 3 weeks). 183 - 188g is the best.

Obviously you can skip the second setup all together, if you can. Can you?

I have already reached my training and physical skill peak.
Right now I'm on the way down.
So I'm not trying to reach anything.
I just play for fun.

I don't even train now, I just go, warmup and play some matches.
just once a week.

also I don't have any more options to try.
so for now it stays lebesson, rozena in fh, sanwei in bh.

donic crest off with joola rhyzer both sides is also in the same bag, so it may jump to the playing field every now and then.

ohh.... there's another problem.
I have coming
-729-08
-dhs h3 37 degrees
-haifu whale III soft

so I'm gonna have to give them a try sometime.

Star
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 10:05am
I agree with both of the last two posts even though they seem contradictory.  For sure fmarek is correct BUT there are people who have reached an honest assessment of their level and what makes the game fin, and a subset of those get a lot of pleasure out of trying out new stuff.  Just know why you are being an EJ for best results, whatever camp you are in.

Edited by Baal - 07/08/2019 at 10:06am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 11:13am
I'm not really trying to reach my best possible performance obsessively.
I don't care much about rankings and ratings and who I beat and who beats me.

I'm more like the mad scientist of table tennis at this point LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 07/08/2019 at 11:16am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 8:16pm
today missilized the crest off with joola rhyzer 48 both sides.
it's a good combo but....

1- the crest felt pretty hard compared to the lebesson.
I'm not sure this is good.

2- I lost a match

so.... not sure, next time might go back to lebesson.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic