FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The New ProTour Commentator Sucks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PanPong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New ProTour Commentator Sucks!
    Posted: 01/21/2011 at 11:46am
I understand the issues surrounding the previous commentator. He talked too much during points. That aside he added an ethusiasm to the game which made it incredibly enjoyable to watch. I truly think it was an error to have replaced him. It would've been better, in my opinion, to have simply told him not to talk as much during points. Furthermore, when he was paired with the second commentator during the 2010 WTTC's we saw both excellent colour commentating and great insight into the tactics of the players.

On the other hand, the new commentator does... nothing. All he does is repeat what we're seeing, tell us when the score is on the screen or say it was a "good point". It's useless and he's monotone to boot. I can't see the appeal in having him there as he quite literally brings nothing to the table.

Bring back the previous commentator(s)! Just tell them to keep it quite during the points!

Your thoughts?
tablet92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tablet92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:10pm
Disagree completely... This commentator is really good and have a lot knowledge in table tennis, the problem is what you don't have a lot to say when almost all rallys end in 2-3 hits like it was in oh sang eun vs wang hao match today...
gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 4:33pm
I think Don Parker's got a solid reputation as a commentator of table tennis.  Don't know how long he has been around the sport but he seems to have been commentating at least since the mid-walder period, and I think was a coach before that.

He did sound a little deflated with the wang hao match,  but there were a lot of 17 min matches in this tournament..

Personally, he's my favourite.  But also any commentator is better than none for me, since I feel like watching longer when they're there.  They sorta keep me company in the basement at two in the morning watching ping pong all by myself ...
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 5:17pm
I enjoyed the last commentator. Don Parker is also good but often repeats the same stuff and monotone. I liked the commentary of schlager vs joo/kong linghui on eurosport for 2003 world championship. It was a women and a man. Anyone know who it is?
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 7:13pm
Don Parker was a player for many years, then a coach (including England coach) and was commentating even while he was a coach. He married Jill Hammersley (former European champion); he's a man of great knowledge about all aspects of the game.
And he is a bit dry, but he makes a good straight man. I like it when he has someone to offset him, someone a bit more enthusiastic like Syed.
Kenney, Eurosport uses different commentators depending on what country you're in-so my memory of the 2003 Worlds is Syed commentating (because I saw it in England).
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 7:24pm
I know some people aren't crazy about him (and that's fair enough) but I like Syed's commentary. He's very articulate and obviously very knowledgeable and I think manages to be able steer the tricky course of appealing to people who know about TT and educating/entertaining those who don't. 
PanPong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 10:41pm
I just feel that he isn't insightful (enough? at all?).

Who was the previous commentator? I loved that guy! His talking got annoying but all it would've taken was for someone to have said for him to keep it down a little.

You watch the videos on YouTube and you just feel his energy coming through. It makes it fun to watch over and over again! With this new chap you just feel.. dull.

Actually, who was the second commentator during the 2010 WTTC's? He was very insightful!
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by PanPong PanPong wrote:

Who was the previous commentator? I loved that guy! His talking got annoying but all it would've taken was for someone to have said for him to keep it down a little.

You watch the videos on YouTube and you just feel his energy coming through. It makes it fun to watch over and over again! With this new chap you just feel.. dull.

Actually, who was the second commentator during the 2010 WTTC's? He was very insightful!
The guy with all that enthusiasm is John Burgess.  The second commentator during 2010 was Mikael Andersson, former Danish national coach and head of ITTF Global Junior program.

It was a great commentator combination, each bringing their strengths (enthusiasm for the sport conveyed by John along with good knowledge that was clearly communicated by Mikael) to the broadcast.

PanPong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Originally posted by PanPong PanPong wrote:

The guy with all that enthusiasm is John Burgess.  The second commentator during 2010 was Mikael Andersson, former Danish national coach and head of ITTF Global Junior program.

It was a great commentator combination, each bringing their strengths (enthusiasm for the sport conveyed by John along with good knowledge that was clearly communicated by Mikael) to the broadcast.

Thanks for clearing that up. I totally agree with you. It's a shame they don't use them anymore. Was any official reason given?
arg0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2011 at 4:32am
Now is your chance to prove that you are better: ITTF's "Seeking a new voice for table tennis" contest!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RHiByMn8g
http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story2.asp?ID=24893&Category=
...please do, I'm also tired about commentators just saying how amazing and unbelievable the shots were. I want to hear some insight about technique!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2011 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by wrote:

...I'm also tired about commentators just saying how amazing and unbelievable the shots were. I want to hear some insigh( about technique!
Originally posted by argo0 argo0 wrote:

...I'm also tired about commentators just saying how amazing and unbelievable the shots were. I want to hear some insight about technique!

The best effectual way to educate yourself on the game's technique is to view closely the slow-motion replays of a match, over and over again.
Thanks largely to the slow-motion tv-cameras, I have now learned the wonderful Ma Long's service return, that is done over half-court with vigorous wrist motion to get the ball top&side spinning.
This dodge wins a lot of points for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic