FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The "Rules"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Rule 81. You are not allowed to wear a hat of any type while playing table tennis 

Yarmulke? Sikh turban?

I think we should make a tentative exception for religious headwear. I would even go as far as to allow full body burqah. That would be a sight...

Exception granted.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 8:14pm
"Each sentence had fifteen words.  There were also some words with three syllables.  I understand now that this was too much for you and I apologize.  I will try to keep it simple for you in the future."

I find this confusing since rule 82 was proposed by someone else...

this is the one I was talking about...

"Rule 82 (Proposed)

For all players who have conceded the utter ineptitude of their backhands, despite years of deep and rigorous backhand rehab efforts of relentless diligence and effort, to forthright embrace with Mount Olympus devotion the religious belief in reincarnation, held with a Churchillian iron resolve, for plotting a vector upon the final backhand of this life, to the next being in shining karmic reward of returning as Andrzej Grubba."

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 10/16/2019 at 8:16pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Rule 90: Rules should not contradict other rules or themselves. Rule 89 is self contradicting since it is criticizing an earlier rule (rule 88).

FdT
good job picking that up Clap

I tested you; you pass. Big smile

Edit: I mention 88 to help you, 89 per se does not mention 88. 89 IS 88 but it’s too late.

Edited by stiltt - 10/18/2019 at 9:20pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"Each sentence had fifteen words.  There were also some words with three syllables.  I understand now that this was too much for you and I apologize.  I will try to keep it simple for you in the future."

I find this confusing since rule 82 was proposed by someone else...

this is the one I was talking about...

"Rule 82 (Proposed)

For all players who have conceded the utter ineptitude of their backhands, despite years of deep and rigorous backhand rehab efforts of relentless diligence and effort, to forthright embrace with Mount Olympus devotion the religious belief in reincarnation, held with a Churchillian iron resolve, for plotting a vector upon the final backhand of this life, to the next being in shining karmic reward of returning as Andrzej Grubba."

FdT

I see. Yes, I agree.  Fortunately that rule is not from the Table Tennis gods and the commenter was referred to Rule 6.  To be honest, Rule 74 is even more explicit.  I tried to let him down gently by suggesting that he can be reincarnated as whomever  he wants.   As long as he hardens the [email protected] up.

The actual Rule 82 is :

Rule 82. You are absolutely not allowed to try to win the points in the warm up. Save it for three minutes later or whenever it is that your actual match starts. If you fail to grasp this simple concept you are required to take remedial action.  The simplest is to watch videos to see how elite players approach this with common courtesy.   Alternatively, you could quit the sport.

Ba'al has spoken.  On behalf of the Gods of Table Tennis

Edited by Baal - 10/16/2019 at 9:25pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Rule 87. You may not pass gas in the vicinity of other players or close to the end of a game just prior to changing sides.
I don't do that any more, but that's how I defeated my first opponent over 2200. Back in the 21 point era, I was down 10-8 in the 3rd game and changed sides. My opponent waved his hand across his nose "Whoa!" then shrugged his shoulders and said "good strategy!"  I won 6 of the next 7 points.

Heavyspin, wars have been started over the mere threat of this kind of thing.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 1:22pm
Don't think this has been mentioned.
If a disturbance occurs during a rally, such as a ball entering your court, you may either call a let immediately or not call let at all. You may not wait until the point has completed to decide retroactively whether or not the disturbance bothered you. 
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2019 at 5:01pm
It is true that his fh H3 National may appear boosted and not boosted at the same time depending what he wants to do. Additionally, color blind people confirm that the sponge of the said rubber may be blue and orange at the same time, they have no clue and confess that they don't give a flying ball.

Edited by stiltt - 10/20/2019 at 7:55pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 1:18pm
It is also simultaneously a Stiga and a Viscaria.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 1:44pm

It is also simultaneously a Stiga and a Viscaria.
LOL head shot!!!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2019 at 3:29pm
Following the laws of quantum mechanics, at least some interpretations, if someone other than FZD were to examine the blade it would collapse the wave function thus becoming either a Viscaria with a Stiga handle, or an actual Stiga, but at all other times, it is in a state of indeterminacy, thus being simulataneously both and yet neither (or perhaps multiple universes are created immediately, one in which it is a Stiga and one in which it is a Viscaria).   

However I am coming dangerously close to violating Rule 51 and physics is weird anyway.  So I will have nothing more to say about this.

Edited by Baal - 10/18/2019 at 3:31pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2019 at 7:44pm
for genesis purposes, should we put in the OP that this amazing thread is a spinoff from that post?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 1:34pm
And the definitive list has been compiled at the start of this thread.
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 10:38pm
Proposed 91: If an unknown player asks you to hit, start stretching, check your phone, go drink water, or simply pack and go home.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 11:08am
Only Asians allowed to Cho. Others get carded.
Tony
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

Idk, does that mean only French and Belgians are allowed to Allez!?

Exhortations in native/first language only is a boring rule.  No kom igen! unless the player is Danish?  Boo.
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

Idk, does that mean only French and Belgians are allowed to Allez!?

Exhortations in native/first language only is a boring rule.  No kom igen! unless the player is Danish?  Boo.
                                  Hey pal, I don't care if you utter Gregorian chants after you make a lucky shot. Just don't do that cho stuff.
Tony
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 2:36pm
Can I sing Offenbach's Bacarolle, staring at my opponent? (starting at 1m02s)

Edited by stiltt - 10/22/2019 at 2:41pm
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 3:14pm
LOL
Tony
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 7:16pm
Since few if any of the posters here are professional players (see Rule 2) this last discussion is essentially moot.  No choing!  And for God's sake no chanting either.  

On another topic I have been asked how to comply with Rule 20 if you think you have found the perfect blade (for a ample, I have used a Viscaria since 2007).  

Recall that Rule 20 states: "The correct number of blades to own is n + 1 where n is the number you own now. An exemption can be made for players in committed relationships, in which case the correct number is s-1, where s is the number of blades that causes your spouse or partner to leave you. "

The answer is easy.  Simply buy more of them.  After all you need a spare and a spare for the spare.  And a black tag one marks you as a Man of Distinction and a Big Spender.  Etc.  Etc.  I hope this helps people needing guidance.

Edited by Baal - 10/22/2019 at 7:18pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2019 at 12:53pm
Proposed 92   When playing at the club or a tournament, do not wear the the clothes you slept in the night before.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Proposed 92   When playing at the club or a tournament, do not wear the the clothes you slept in the night before.

Yes, this would be akin to wearing black socks.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 1:09pm
On club nights, if an undesirable opponent asks you to play and you make the excuse "I'm done playing for the night" you are not allowed to play later that night.
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 1:26pm
Heavyspin reminds me that Rule 70 was incomplete, which augers very well for his future enlightenment.  Upon conferring with the Table Tennis Gods I have been ordered to update it.  Ba'al has spoken.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 1:34pm

On club nights, if an undesirable opponent asks you to play and you make the excuse "I'm done playing for the night" you are not allowed to play later that night.
Can we add a sub rule to that one?

after a player asks us to play and we answer something like: "sorry I am tired I need a rest", respect a minimum delay before playing somebody else.

a 2 minutes delay is rude; how long before it's not?
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 1:41pm
do we cover the player who is constantly talking to somebody outside the court in between points? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Can we add a sub rule to that one?

after a player asks us to play and we answer something like: "sorry I am tired I need a rest", respect a minimum delay before playing somebody else.

a 2 minutes delay is rude; how long before it's not?

It is inversely related to how much you care about being rude to that person.  If you don't care, that duration could asymptotically approach zero.  Note that Rule 70 now specifically states that there are no requirments for how long the stronger player should play with the weaker one, only that if you say you are done for the night then you really are done. 

Of course, in the case where the weaker person is very attractive then this duration (time the stronger player spends playing with the weaker one) could be quite long. 

Edited by Baal - 10/25/2019 at 1:59pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2019 at 2:01pm

do we cover the player who is constantly talking to somebody outside the court in between points? 

47. If you converse with your playing partner (or someone outside the court), you should be barely audible at the next table.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2019 at 11:13am

7. You are not allowed to put your name on the back of your shirt unless you are a professional player.

Bulloney.  I have the name on the back of my shirt so I don't have to pin player numbers to my shirt at tournaments.

8. You are allowed to wear a shirt with a manufacturer logo (e.g. Donic or Butterfly) up to the age of 50, at which time this is no longer allowed.

Makes no sense.

10. You must wear footwear designed for racket sports. Under no circumstances are basketball shoes allowed.

Makes no sense either.  Some indoor soccer shoes make excellent table tennis shoes.  Look at Nike's Mercurial line.

Stopping here with ...

Rule 81.  Rule lists should not have more than ten entries.

Edited by wturber - 10/26/2019 at 11:30am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2019 at 12:26pm
Rule proposal: Passing gas in the playing hall is utterly rude but if it's impossible to avoid it should not happen above the passer's ass.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2019 at 12:46pm

47. If you converse with your playing partner (or someone outside the court), you should be barely audible at the next table.
I was referring to the person with whom we play when they address to somebody outside the court constantly, not focusing on the game, not caring about the person they play with. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic