Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thick vs thin core blades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Thick vs thin core blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shakepender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thick vs thin core blades
    Posted: 06/13/2010 at 7:12am
I find thick core blades to have more bounce thin core blades to be more rigid. However, I still like both for different reasons.

Do you have a preference for either? If so, why?
Viscaria : Omg IV Pro / Omg IV Euro

Sponsored Links

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 8:57am
I had two all wood blades that I can compare, Hurricane Hao 656 and Stiga NCT Offensive.. both have the same construction (according to what I heard) but the core is different, the siga had a thicker core which I thought would make it fast. Some how the HH656 was fast, but the Stiga was "more bouncy" that I couldn't even block well with.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 10:46am
What sort of rubbers do you have on the hh656?

My m6 has a thin core and I'm wondering if it would be better for me if I used a softer rubber on my fh... venus on the bh is fine.

I have tried ymlc with srivers and feeling is nice... maybe just a little too soft though...

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 12:05pm
I use Spinart 2.1 for FH and roundel soft 2.1 on BH.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 12:25pm
outer plies are usually harder than center plies, f.e. ayous (often center layer) is softer than limba or spruce (outer layers) so more thicker and harder material on the top the bouncier the blade appears to me to delicate shots. And when center ply is thin, blade has more flex and dwell during heavy loop which I consider also good for relooping the ball close to table. When its thicker, blade becomes faster and more rigid thats maybe better for blocking Schlager-alike game.

I played with Dicon that is quite flexible but the harder spruce layer adds some pace and blade was quite bouncy for its overall speed. Yasaka Ma Lin EO and DHS HK have pretty thick spruce layer so the feel is much harder and these blades have higher demand for precision IMO.

Now I play with Avalox BT 777 that is stiffer (but still some flex) but with thin outer plies that keep soft feel of the blade so control for slow touch shots is good, but I have much more power when I swing hard thanks to 3-ply core that is typical for "Clipper like" blades....
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 5:17pm
Thicker cores usually make the blade more "springy," which is a combination of bouncy and fast. I'm not so sure that rigid is 100% related to the thickness of the core although it might be related somehow. I think that rigid is also partially determined by the outer plies and inner plies, not just the core.

I personally like playing with thinner cores because they give more control and feel more like "wood" without the spring. That makes it feel a little rigid, yet keeps the flex that is good for a looping game.

Viscaria
T05/T64
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 9:30pm
thinner blades are generally better for beginners, more control, more dwell time thanks to bending.

For me is important speed/control factor so I prefer soft feel blades that are not too thin, like 777. I must say I use a lot of blocking in my game and thin blades do not satisfy my needs.
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 1:03am
The biggest difference between a thick and thin blade is stiffness. Generally, the thicker a blade is, the stiffer it is. However, this is relative to the thickness of the medial plies. The traditional structure of a 5-ply blade goes like this - Outer ply (vertical), Medial ply (horizontal), Core ply (vertical). Generally, the core ply will be at least twice as thick as the medial plies, and in this case, the blade will have its strongest rigidity in the vertical direction, thus giving it what we would call a stiff feel. Although, if we're looking at a blade with a 2mm core ply, two 1.5mm medial plies, and two .5-.6mm outer plies, it would feel much more flexible than a blade with a 3.5mm core ply, two .75mm medial plies, and two .5-.6 outer plies. So it's really all relative to the thickness of the plies. Fortunately, most major manufacturers don't use medial plies over 1mm thick, so the rule of thumb is - thicker = stiffer.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 3:49am
I can't stand thin bendy blades, all the flexible blades everyone recommends as looping blades feel terrible to me. I much prefer soft wooded blades that are stiff
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 5:00am
Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

The traditional structure of a 5-ply blade goes like this - Outer ply (vertical), Medial ply (horizontal), Core ply (vertical). Generally, the core ply will be at least twice as thick as the medial plies, and in this case, the blade will have its strongest rigidity in the vertical direction, thus giving it what we would call a stiff feel. Although, if we're looking at a blade with a 2mm core ply, two 1.5mm medial plies, and two .5-.6mm outer plies, it would feel much more flexible than a blade with a 3.5mm core ply, two .75mm medial plies, and two .5-.6 outer plies. So it's really all relative to the thickness of the plies. Fortunately, most major manufacturers don't use medial plies over 1mm thick, so the rule of thumb is - thicker = stiffer.

Same reason a blade with carbon+3 woodplies because the second ply can be exremely thin the core can be thicker. More wood lengthwise to the handle and the strong bond of epoxy/carbon between the woodplies makes such a blade stiffer also (apart from the added tensile strength of carbon) even when it,s thin.
And for this reason seven ply isn,t necessarely stiffer then 5 ply. Three layers of abachi one mm is not stiffer then one ply of 3 mm (depends a little on the gluing also) but significantly more stable and resitant to torsion. Little harder also and the feel towards the handle also decreases a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 10:34am
I've played with a ymlc which has a thick core with thin carbon in between and I've found it to be stiffer than the galaxy m6... thinner core but thicker overall.

It seems the ymlc is easier to control... it does have softer outer plies though.

However, both are good blades.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic