FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY Reviews: the COLOR blade (FL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 3:10am
Have you played with Color, Rok?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 3:33am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I'm really sorry If offend you, but surely we are looking for a review, not an autopsy, showing close up pictures of the blade means nothing at all. you are showing nothing of importance Rokphish, please post a review, not pictures of your fingers. I cannot for the life of me see how there is a benefit of posting a serial of pictures of the blade, we know what it looks like by now, post a bloody review for gods sake.

Where is yours? I here you all say. Forth coming. Should I weigh it? seeing as its been weighed about 4 times, maybe not, should I picture it, no need, its been picture more times than needs be, I'll just write an honest review. My you guys dissapoint, I was hoping to write my review on a cusisson of yours, but you have not really wrote one yet. dread to think that you have all just took the opportunity to get a free blade....

Peter C though, good review on the other blade,

My friend,  you are being impatient and rash here, not to mention that you jump to rather offensive conclusions somewhat easily. If you read again rokphish's posting you will see that he specifically mentioned that he had tournament on Sunday, then he intended to play with the blade during this week, and post the review after that. So ... he'll post it soon, I am sure.

Ok, I look forward to reading it, along with a few more members who have indicated to me Via PM that they are waiting for a review in words and descriptions, not endless photograghs that they can see for themselves on the website. I'm not impatiant, I have not written mine yet!
The Older I get, The better I was.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 5:47am

Blade:  Nexy Color FL (5-ply wood)
Speed:  7.7 (On the Butterfly Scale)
Control:  8.4 (On the Butterfly Scale)
Feel:  Soft
Weight:  94 grams
Rubbers:
FH: Palio CJ8000 Biotech (36-38 deg) Red 2.2 mm
BH: Mark V Black 2.2 mm / Tried Haifu BW2 too
Total weight: Close to 190 gms (I do not have a scale)

General comments:

The Blade has a marvellous finish! I am totally bowled over by its beauty. You can easily mistake it for a butterfly make. The craftsmanship is amazing. It is a piece of art. I had fallen in love with its color scheme the moment I had seen it on Tak9.com. I went ahead and expressed my desire to receive it for testing.
The weight of the blade:- I do not have a scale at home and i was just too eager to play with it and too impatient to weigh it. Hence, i did not go to any shop nearby to get it weighed on a digital scale. However, the blade had a small slip on it which said 94. My best guess prompts me to believe that it is actually 94 gms in weight.
I generally like medium heavy blades, somewhere in the range of 85-90 gms. This could have turned out to be a disaster for me at around 5-10 gms heavier than my liking but then it did not.
Its balance is just perfect for its weight. One would not feel that it is heavy at all.
The handle is more of a rounded FL rather than a flat FL that i have mostly played with. Some might like it and some might not.

Review:

I had a good 3 hour playing session with it last night. Initially, i had Haifu BW2 put on this blade. Please note that my BW2 is around 3 months old now and all the factory tuning is lost.
I tried playing with it on the forehand for some time and then gave up hope on it because of the lack of speed and uneven throw it had started to produce.
I then pasted my almost new Mark V onto it and started to have a hit with it.

Contrary to what JimT noted about the sealing of this blade, i believe that it really does not require sealing if you are using the right glue. I had stuck my Haifu BW2 using the Haifu WSB. It came out pretty easily without damaging the blade even a bit. But then, i guess there is something magical about the Haifu WSB. It holds your rubber pretty well and comes off easily like a sitter. I would definitely add a comment later on in case i find something similar to what JimT had experienced.

The first thing that you would notice about this blade is its dwell time. It is simply superb. You can loop anything with it. The ball just stays and stays and stays till you want it to.
I have never played with any blade with such a beautiful dwell time. It is just perfect. One cannot ask for more.

I had CJ8000 on my forehand and looping almost any kind of underspin was as easy as a cake. Even my K-5 does not come close to this beauty in the dwell department.
The blade is almost nearing the Softish side of the hardness spectrum. I am usually not a big fan of soft blades but then the dwell that this blade gives me puts everything else aside. Mr. Moon had noted this in his letter that i would be able to generate massive amounts of spin with this blade and i guess each and every word that he had said was so damn TRUE.
For a blade having this level of dwell, the speed that Color provides is manageable. It is not even close to my K-5 for that matter. But then, there is always a trade off between the speed and dwell.
The speed of the blade is still very very good. It will not disappoint anyone unless they are used to playing with the likes of Schlager Carbon, Primorac or Gergely.

During one of the matches' that i played last night, I faced a very strong backspin return which almost cleared the table just by an inch or so. On any other day, i would have had doubts about looping it back. I was really skeptical to go for the loop but then i just went ahead and sort of closed my eyes. To my sweet surprise, the ball went zooming past my opponent. He could not understand what had happened as usually he does not expect returns to his strong back spin pushes. It took him off guard and by complete utter surprise.

The throw angle of my Palio had improved by a few notches in that one shot. The blade seems to have a high throw (this again might be due to the high dwell time).

On the backhand side: While I usually face problems with Mark V on my backhand because i am usually accustomed to something with a bit higher throw there, i was simply delighted with it last night. Even the usually low throwed Mark V had a suitable throw for me to fall for it.

Because of a bit stepped down speed i was able to execute my loops with almost my 100% strength. On a usual day, with my K-5, they would go way long off the table. This allowed me to add in my shoulder, body and wrist power to each and every loop shot that i executed.

The control on the Color was also pretty nice. It was fairly obvious that it would excel in this department too. I had no issues in blocking any of my partners' loop kills during the practice or during the match.

Mid-distance power play was something that was just a bit down. I was expecting it to help me a bit more from Mid distance. But then again, i think i am expecting a bit too much out of a blade. It lacked a bit in the Mid distance department. I had to swing really hard to make my loops zoom past my opponent. Here, K-5 takes a good lead.

Overall, it was an overwhelming experience. I was stunned by its performance.

Improvements:

The weight of the blade can be brought down a bit. Also, i feel that its speed can just be taken a bit more closer to that 8.0 mark, almost making it a better BTY M. Maze!
It is ,however, a bit on the costly side for being close to USD 70. I admit that it deserves each and every penny of that USD 70 but then again, i guess it can be made a bit more affordable.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 5:52am

Updates on my reviews will follow shortly. I have another beast to test tonight and hence my Color gets to rest for today's play. I will post more of my findings once i finish the testing of a Super Tuned Haifu Shark II FT (from Alex Li's Haifu testing program) today. I will use K-5 for its testing and hence Color gets to rest.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 9:12am
I don't want to get involoved in these talks, but one small thing needs to be cleared out. The price of Color in USD is 80 dollors.

I wrote about this to JimT already, but he wrote the possible upcoming price as 70,(maybe he thought little bit cheaper price can be more competitive) but that's not what I wrote to him.

By the way, I think I can find an official way to give 10% discount in my Nexy.com site to all customers,(The site will be upgraded into shopping mall soon) which in result might help you to buy Color around USD 72.

Just one more word.
Greetings to all reviewers and readers!
I'm pretty happy to show my beloved blades to you,
and I'm one of them who are entertained by all those beautiful writings you are producing.

Thank you!!

Brand Manager of NEXY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

I don't want to get involoved in these talks, but one small thing needs to be cleared out. The price of Color in USD is 80 dollors.

I wrote about this to JimT already, but he wrote the possible upcoming price as 70,(maybe he thought little bit cheaper price can be more competitive) but that's not what I wrote to him.

By the way, I think I can find an official way to give 10% discount in my Nexy.com site to all customers,(The site will be upgraded into shopping mall soon) which in result might help you to buy Color around USD 72.

Just one more word.
and I'm one of them who are entertained by all those beautiful writings you are producing.

Thank you!!

Greetings to you too Nexy!
I just quoted the price from what other members had already written. I had no intention of giving out false information what so ever.
Smile

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 10:18am
even at $70 it seems pricey for an unknown untested blade from an unknown manufacturer.but i guess it will be the new fad for a while.
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 10:51am
Better to sell at a much lower price so more players will buy then raise the prices.

At $70, players will be hard pressed in deciding to buy a branded blade then the new kid on the block.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 12:03pm

Just one more word.

Thank you!!

Mr. Moon is right here. Currency exchange rates are in flux all the times, so it seems that the price (75,000 Korean won) is now in fact closer to 80 dollars US. I will fix my posting above.

There is also a very nice deal on tak9 site which will provide you with Color blade, two Demian rubbers (inverted) and a case for 105,000 KW )

http://tak9.com/mall.php?cat=018001000&query=view&no=3351

I hope that perhaps soon tak9 or Nexy web site will allow us English-speaking customers to browse and order...

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Better to sell at a much lower price so more players will buy then raise the prices.

At $70, players will be hard pressed in deciding to buy a branded blade then the new kid on the block.

+ 1, it is a colorful blade, pretty looking, but i think an entry price of $40-$50 would be more  attractive to me.above that I will pass.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 12:48pm
Well, you certainly shouldn't buy a blade just because it is colorful Wink

I agree though that 75-80 dollars is rather pricey for an unknown brand and blade. But prices in Korea seem to be generally on the upper side of the spectrum, so there is nothing we can do there.

You can't really try all the blades in the world, so we have to rely on each other for reviews and advice. Or we stick with an old trusty blade...

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by jossix jossix wrote:

+ 1, it is a colorful blade, pretty looking, but i think an entry price of $40-$50 would be more  attractive to me.above that I will pass.

+1
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 1:00pm

I agree though that 75-80 dollars is rather pricey for an unknown brand and blade. But prices in Korea seem to be generally on the upper side of the spectrum, so there is nothing we can do there.

I'm not sure I follow.
Do you mean that because of their Korean origin they cannot be priced differently?
jossik & I already have  an easy alternative

Wasn't it you espousing Killerspin getting themselves out into the marketplace/consciousness much moreso by  getting themselves into all the major chain retailers @ an attractive price point?

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 1:03pm

Better to sell at a much lower price so more players will buy then raise the prices. At $70, players will be hard pressed in deciding to buy a branded blade then the new kid on the block.

+ 1, it is a colorful blade, pretty looking, but i think an entry price of $40-$50 would be�more��attractive to me.above that�I will pass.

I agree, but at the same time, expecting a blade with hand-selected premium Kiso Hinoki to be roughly $50 might be unrealistic.
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

I'm not sure I follow.
Do you mean that because of their Korean origin they cannot be priced differently?
jossik & I already have  an easy alternative

Wasn't it you espousing Killerspin getting themselves out into the marketplace/consciousness much moreso by  getting themselves into all the major chain retailers @ an attractive price point?

What I meant is that  when you look at the prices in tak9 then you will see they are on average higher than similar products' prices in the USA. I am just guessing that the reason is because Korean market prices are higher.

As for Killerspin, I only meant that they could do that if they went with Chinese manufacturing and US quality control (like Gambler did); then they could have lowered their prices and got very competitive. I do not see that happening for now.... perhaps they think they cannot do that without compromising quality but I would disagree there.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 2:37pm
Ok, here's mine.

I've had 2 full sessions with the "color", involving multiple players from rank 13 to 16 (french rating) which should be 1600 to 1900 (us ranking).

If I had to make it short, I'd say "WOW" but I realise it isn't good enough for you EJ bunch.

Blade specs : As above. Mine is 88gr

Handle : FL, very comfy, a bit slim but since I'm always adding an overgrip, it went just right.

Look : Impressive, a class of its own...Some on the french forum found it a bit too "flashy...", some others loved it. For sure, it doesn't let anybody speechless. For me who likes old fashion blade, it was a pleasant change.

Balance : Medium, not head, not handle heavy, just balanced...

Sealant : Due to JimT warning, I've added 2 coats of Joola varnish.

I dressed the blade with 2 new sheets of Xtend hs 2.0mm, which are my usual weapons.
At first, I noticed relative slowness compared to my usal OFF blades but immediatly after, I got hooked by the incredible feeling the blade provides.
This is no surprise that such off-/all+ blade enabled me to make my shots land safely behind the net. Compared to my common set up it is slower. But what, at once, amazed me the most is this very particular feedback you get from it. The ball sinks into the blade, not only the rubber, but it seems into the blade too ! This isn't disturbing at all. On the contrary, it gives you the impression you controll every shot comming in. Still I was puzzled because the blade is rigid, not flex at all. But it looks like the top ply is smooth enough to damper the incomming speed and secure your counter shots. Last time I've had such a shock with a new blade was 5 years ago, when I first tested the acoustic. Yes, the "color" is a unique blade and I like it a lot.
Back to the test. Xtend is very low throw, my shots were medium, so I assume naked color provides high throw.
 Drives are safe, again no mistake. I immediatly got the feeling I could continue hours without making mistake...
 Loops are more difficult to handle at once due to the extra rigidity compared to my blades. Mid distance top spins are definitly weaker than with Korbel sk7, redshank or maze. I'd say, it's in the primorac off- or tibhar IVL range. However when you adjust your strokes and you force yourself to loop off the bounce, it's just great. that's one of these thing this blade is made for. Counter looping at the table !
 Blocks : WOW ! Maybe I told you before, I'm a poor blocker. I loop everything I can. Here, I took huge pleasure to play passively, block back every loop I was sent and see my partners getting exhausted and frustrated. This is very enjoyable after all...Again, the ball sinks into the blade, loses it's speed and spin (yes ! spin) and goes safely back.
 Hits, that's not especially what it is made for, but OK. Miss speed and head heaviness.
 Serves, short game. This it what takes the longer to get used to with a new blade, so after 2 sessions I canno't give an honest opinion, still needs to be sorted out. Looks ok however.

In conclusion. it's really a great blade. How could a blade be possibly so tender and rigid at the same time is a mystery. I like it a lot. Still I miss some speed and power because of my personal game but I already can  highly recommend this blade to blockers and counter loopers at the table. I'll give a try soon with max thickness, should be better for me. The blade has nothing to envy to the best Butterfly or Nittaku productions in terms of construction, quality control, craftmanship.
According to what I read above, the "Dexter" is about the same, but a bit wider and faster. I'm tempted, much tempted.
Ah ! I was about to forgot. My friends did prefer the "oscar" because faster and more powerfull. My opinion differs a bit, but that's another topic...
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 2:44pm
Great job, jcdi! Thank you.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Better to sell at a much lower price so more players will buy then raise the prices. At $70, players will be hard pressed in deciding to buy a branded blade then the new kid on the block.

I agree, but at the same time, expecting a blade with hand-selected premium Kiso Hinoki to be roughly $50 might be unrealistic.

Pricing those blades at the level of comparable bats from established brands shows strong self confidence in a high quality product. I believe it's the way to go.

jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Pricing those blades at the level of comparable bats from established brands shows strong self confidence in a high quality product. I believe it's the way to go.

For the manufacturer yes it is the way to go. but for me the consumer.not so at all. in these recessionary times where money is tight. i have no desire to pay exhorbitant price for a new  product just because it looks good. or because a couple beta testers says it plays good. 
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 9:01pm
It would be wrong for us to promote these Nexy blades if they are not of high quality. You can read it between the line if that's the case. Nexy is not a Chinese brand, their products are not made in China, and these blades are not clones. These blades don't come into second even against a name like Butterfly. TT product in Korea are especially expensive, more than US. Nexy prices are reasonable if they are to remain competitive. That doesn't mean that everyone can afford it but for those who wants performance, quality, and a competitive price I say take a good look at these blades. Be greatful, EJs. We should thank Mr Moon for the introduction of Nexy to our forum so that we have more choices.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 1:28am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

We should thank Mr Moon for the introduction of Nexy to our forum so that we have more choices.

Tell me again how more equipment choices makes me a better TT player? Shocked
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

We should thank Mr Moon for the introduction of Nexy to our forum so that we have more choices.

Tell me again how more equipment choices makes me a better TT player? Shocked

I don't think he was saying it makes anyone a better player... just a better EJ. Big%20smile

I can't judge anyone, though. When I'm making progress, whatever setup I have is the best in the world and EJs are silly. When I plateau for a while, or am just plain bored with too much cash, it's back on the EJ wagon...

P.S. Nice reviews and very attractive blades. Next time I plateau, am bored, and have some spare cash, the Nexy Color is on my list. Big%20smile
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 4:41am
Hello, all guys...

First, I'm not much familiar with this forum, and I've never been participated in this kind of communication, so in some part, maybe I will feel little big not much sophisticated enough to hang out with you.

And also my English is not good, which makes me also hesitate to start to write. I learned it only from School, and in Korean culture, to gain good English speaking and writing ability is not easy, so I'm little bit intimidated by this idea..; if I write with my poor English, then I would be lowering the value of my good products.

However, while reading all the articles, I felt I need to clarify some more about price policy.

I use very good hinoki and quality sprus.
Specially, Japanese Hinoki's price is extremely high.
Here is the reason.

Hinoki woods are divided into several different kinds.
In  several European brands, they don't use Japanese Hinoki,rather they use American Hinoki.
But the price gap between two woods are huge.

The bigger problem for Hinoki is, those selected quality hinoki is not permitted to be acquired by Korean company.
As far as I know Hinoki is divided into 20 different grades, and all the quality grades are preoccupied by Japanese table tennis company union.

So, when I try to produce Hinoki blades outside of Japan, the expense for this production is much much higher than for the companies in Japan.
Actually, I'm not welcomed by Japanese companies to be provided with this quality wood yet, so it's not possible to start direct purchase from Japan, and I need to buy the material from the third country, so I don't have competitiveness about my Hinoki surface blades at all.

Therefore, there is a ceailing for me to lower the price.

But I'm pretty sure that there will be no company outside Japan who can compete with Hinoki blades against Japanese brand, not so much as me.

In conclusion, I can not lower the price of Color...

But in the other hand, as far as I know, I poured out real creativity into my COLOR.
It's unique, and no blade can compete with the character or function.
So, I don't feel OK for the idea that I need to compete with other blade's price, when I think of the uniqueness of COlOR.

It's one of my dream blades.
I spent one year and half on this blade.
I studied more than 200 blades, and I tested more than 10 new samples.
But I stick to my initial idea, that is to joint high quality sprus with specially selected Hinoki.
And now I'm very proud of my blade Color.

Dear all guys here,....

I've been just an amateur player for 20 years, just like every one else here.
I know what price means to you.
I can read what my customers are going through surfing my web site late at night. I do understand how many times they are changing their minds what to buy, or whether to buy or not.
Because I've been one of them for 16 years.

So, I don't want to seak for big money with my blades.
But my COLOR and the whole other blades are very very unique and valuable in their own ways.
You will see.
I'm pretty sure.

Ok, I will stop writing any more here.
And I hope this is my last writing in this thread.
I don't want to play a role while you are enjoying talking to each other.
But I just wanted to become little more closer to you.

Thank you all guys!!

Brand Manager of NEXY
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 7:05am
That was very interesting Nexy, thank you.
The Older I get, The better I was.
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 7:15am
Nice post and your English is good. You rate yourself too poorly.

Is it possible to make the Color without all the fancy colors on the face? Maybe just the word Nexy on the right hand side will be ok and some simple description of the rating of the blade.

No offense on the creativity. I admire and it makes the blade very nice too look at but at the end of the day, once i slap on a rubber it will be hidden.

Perhaps make 2 versions, 1 for collectors (charge them more) and other for players (charge them less) who just want to play with a great blade.

Also don't suppose you make them with AN handles?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 7:15am
mr Moon/Nexy as a businessman you have the right to market your blades for whatever price you believe is justified as only you would know the expense you incurred in producing the product and what you would like your return on investment to be.No one can deny you that right.
The consumer has to decide whether it is in their interest to buy at  whatever price point you fix. The two forces in play do not always move in sync with each other
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 9:27am

Ok, I will stop writing any more here.
And I hope this is my last writing in this thread.
I don't want to play a role while you are enjoying talking to each other.
But I just wanted to become little more closer to you.

Thank you all guys!!

Hello Nexy,
Why should you stop participating to this discussion. Your inputs are most valuable and very informative. I didn't know, for instance, the Hinoki grade story. That's very interresting. It's very rare that blade conceptors are showing up here and I believe a lot of forum members (me first) will be glad to share your knowledge.
Besides, your english is very good (at least as good as mine...) so don't be shy.
Your blades are great and you must be very proud about what you achieved.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 9:41am

Blade:  Nexy Color, a 5 ply all wood blade, with a straight handle
Speed
:  8.0
Control:  9.0
Feel:  Medium to soft
Weight:  91 grams
Rubbers

Day 1  : Red 2.2mm Outlaw forehand and black 2.2mm Wraith backhand, (taken off Samsonov Alpha for initial test (bat weight 181 grams)

Day 2 onwards : Black 2.15mm TG3 Neo forehand and Red 2.15mm TG3 Neo backhand, which had arrived in the morning. (bat weight 183 grams)

Construction :

The blade is constructed with high grade wood and to a high standard . The Kiso Hinoki outer plies, are varnished and the same thickness as the Oscar and Ishlion outer plies. The Spruce inner plies are slightly thinner and laid across the blade, adding some rigidity, to give the blade good speed and are laid on a 3 mm Ayous centre ply.

Blade thickness is around 6.3 and well balanced, which I consider an asset, if you are going to use heavy rubbers on it.

The Color I�ve received for testing and reviewing, has a comfortable straight handle, with similar dimensions and feel to the TBS straight handle.

Review:

My initial impression of the Color was it has a unique feel, which is hard to quantify, for various reasons.

Hinoki outer plies tend to make a blade feel more alive, if that makes sense. The combination of woods used in it�s construction are also a different combination to any other blade I�ve played with too and the result is blade that is unlike any other wooden blade I�ve played with before.

JCDI tried to sum up the blade in one word �Wow�.

My one word to sum up the blade would be �synergy�, i.e. the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". In other words I consider it a great blade.

So how does it play and why do I like it?

It has better dwell time, than most 6.3mm blades; making it easy to generate a lot of spin, which I appreciated for a variety of shots. There are plenty of blades on the market with good dwell time, but most tend to be thinner than the 6.3mm thick Color.

The exception to the rule is the Donic Dima Sawtec, which is also 6.3mm thick blade, with good dwell time and great for generating spin on a lot of shots. However, it�s a lightweight blade around 80 grams, designed for a close to the table game and doesn�t have the power of the 91 gram Color and therefore doesn�t perform as well, when three or more feet off the table.

Where the Color excels is looping off the bounce and the top of it. I can also loop very consistently with it 3-6 feet off the table; but in this respect, I prefer the Oscar, which has more power and speed on tap.

There are some great looping blades on the market, like the Petr Korbel, Yasaka Extra and the Offensive Classic, to name a few, that have served a lot of players well, me included. Most of them tend to be around 6mm or thinner, which gives them the dwell time, to loop well, but in general they aren�t as good at blocking or smashing, as the Color.

When using looping blades like the Yasaka Extra, Offensive Classic and Petr Korbel, the tendency is to take advantage of their strength by loop killing, rather than smashing. The Color has the stiffness to be ideal for smashing over the table.

Speedwise, the Color is slower than the Oscar, offensive minus I would say, compared to offensive for the Oscar.

The control is more akin to an allround plus blade, than an offensive minus blade and although it might not impress as much as the Oscar on first play, control is one of it�s strengths.

Being 91 grams, it has more inherent power than lighter weight blades, like my 83 gram Samsonov Alpha and 79 gram Dima Sawtec.

I know from experience that 3 grams difference with even the same blade, can mean subtle, but noticeable differences in the way each one performs and I�ve no doubt that JCDI�s 88 gram Color, will have less power and speed than my 91 gram Color, but slightly better control over the table.

Does it create more spin than more conventional blades? Yes and no.

Yes, I can generate more spin, particularly sidespin on loops with the Color, compared to the Samsonov Alpha, using Outlaw and Wraith.

However, the choice of blades and rubbers on the market is large enough, that you will come across another set up, that will deliver as much spin, from time to time.

Background History :

Through my correspondence with Mr Moon, I�m aware that the blade took about 18 months to develop from the drawing board to the final production model. Various prototypes were tested, by Koreans players and their feedback was used to get the blade�s construction right, before it was released onto the Korean market.

The research and development that has gone into this blade has paid dividends, as the Nexy Color has received good reviews, since it was released onto the Korean market and has sold well in Korea, as a result.

I can understand why Mr Moon has asked for international reviewers to test this blade, as I think it has the potential to sell well around the world, as well as in the home market.

Conclusion :

The question is would I buy one? or recommend the blade?

If I hadn�t received a Color for testing and saw this thread, I would certainly have been interested in finding out more about this blade, as I have been seriously thinking of buying an all wood Hinoki blade, in the last two months.

I liked the Hinoki feel of my Ishlion, which I enjoyed playing with for three months in the summer; with Energy Xtra on the forehand and Mambo on the backhand. However, I found its short dwell time meant I was generating less spin on loops, than with the same rubbers on the Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 and therefore I�d been thinking of getting a Hinoki blade, with better dwell time than the Ishlion, more suitable for looping.

The Hinoki blades that caught my attention were the Cornilleau Hinotec offensive- and offensive blades, being sold by Bribar TT in the UK, which are about the same price; as the Nexy Color.

I have yet to try a Cornilleau Hinotec blade, so can�t comment on them; but what I do know is after playing with the Color for about eight hours, I rate it as one of the best all wood blades I�ve tested in a long time and it�s not often that I test blades, that impress me as much as the Color and the Oscar have.

The design with the colours on the handle and the picture on the blade face, are eye catching to start with. However, it�s the performance of a blade that is the ultimate decider and I think Nexy have produced two great blades with the Oscar and Color, in that respect.

Which do I feel is the better blade of the two? At this present in time, the answer for me is the Oscar.

Foot note :

One point to note is the photograph showing the cross section of the Color on Tak9.com gives a false impression that there is a thin Kiso Hinoki outer ply, with another another ply underneath it, covering the Spruce ply.

This is merely an optical illusion, which becomes apparent to anyone who holds the Color in their hand and anyone who looks at Rokphish�s photographs, as you can see quite clearly that the outer Kiso Hinoki outer ply, is in fact around 1mm thick and the only ply on top of the Spruce inner ply.

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 10:25am
Hello Nexy

Thank you for an interesting post.

It is refreshing to read your views, thoughts and the challenges you faced in producing the Color.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 11:58am
Great review, Peter.

A favor to ask: could you try and post a kind of table of comparisons between Color and Oscar after you have get fully acquainted with both?

I don't mean the objective numbers like weight and such, but things like speed, control in different modes of the game, looping, smashing, power etc.

Thank you , my friend!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic