Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEXY Reviews: the OSCAR blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Reviews: the OSCAR blade
    Posted: 12/01/2009 at 7:42pm
All,

As you all know, some of us were selected by fatt and Mr. Moon to review Nexy equipment.  We received the equipment, and we are in the process of testing these blades and rubbers.  This thread is created to provide our reviews.  We will add our reviews daily as we finish with our tests.  Thank you for your patience.

Most of the reviews will be short and compact.  If you need more information, please feel free to PM the reviewers.

edit from fatt (with speedy's permission): This is the thread dedicated to the Oscar blade.

SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Sponsored Links

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 7:51pm
Blade:  Nexy Oscar (Carbon)
Speed:  8.5
Control:  9.0
Feel:  Soft
Weight:  86 grams
Rubbers:  BH: Nexy Kairos (short-pips), FH: Butterfly Cermet & Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha

Review:  Oscar is a medium-fast carbon blade with extremely good control.   It is a flexible blade with very good feel for the ball.  The blade provides the speed plus the control for powerful loop from mid-distance, unbelievable smashes from close to the table and the accuracy for counter blocking.  This is a great blade for all-around aggressive players who are looking for power and control from a blade.  It�s good for both inverted and short pips players.

Improvement:  This blade is great the way it is.  However, if I can improve it, I would use a harder outer ply to reinforce and give more power on my attack shots.

SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 8:21pm
Nice review, nice looking blade. Do you think you guys could post the materials of the blades? For instance, that looks like Hinoki on the outer ply. Am I right? What are the other plies (besides the carbon plies)?

Sorry to appear as an ingrate in response to a nice review, but I find the material information to be quite useful.

If possible, thanks! If not, no biggie.
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 8:25pm
Don't suppose they have Nexy blades with nice AN handles?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Nice review, nice looking blade. Do you think you guys could post the materials of the blades? For instance, that looks like Hinoki on the outer ply. Am I right? What are the other plies (besides the carbon plies)?

Sorry to appear as an ingrate in response to a nice review, but I find the material information to be quite useful.

If possible, thanks! If not, no biggie.

The reason that I couldn't post the material because I am not so sure what it is.  But yes, it looks like Hinoki to me.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 9:08pm
Can you compare it with another blade, for benchmark? that will hep a lot.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Can you compare it with another blade, for benchmark? that will hep a lot.

It's very similar to Joola Rossi Force.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 4:28pm
Blade: Nexy Oscar (Arylate Carbon)
Ply: 5W+2A/C
Peers: Butterfly Kong LingHui Special, Timo Boll Special, and Michael Maze.
Speed: 7.0/10, faster than Butterfly KLHS (7.0/10) and not as fast as Butterfly PC (8.0/10)
Control: 8/10, excellent amongst its peers.
Feel: medium feel
Weight: 92 gr. perfect weight for the balance!
Handle: ST (FL available)
Rubbers: BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm, FH: Commercial DHS Hurricane 3 tuned 2.2mm

Review:

Day 1. Oscar is a Nexy (next sexy to all you EJs) blade that has the distinct feel

and features of a Butterfly blade at a more reasonable price.

See pics here:

A ball bouncing on the blade gives a pitch that is between that of Butterfly PC and Stiga Clipper.

Oscar is the fastest arylate carbon (A/C) blade this reviewer have used. If memory serves it's slightly faster than both Butterfly TBS and Butterfly KLHS.

It has a damping effect that KLHS/TBS/MM users are very familiar. This effect gives a good arc on loops, lots of dwell time, flex and control despite the fast wood and carbon. Yet the use of carbon still give the user a stiffer, more direct feel than any 7-ply when blocking and hitting.

This blade is ideal for a topspin player who wants more speed in his loops and for fast topspins both close to the table and mid-distance, not unlike that of the game of Timo Boll.

This is a blade for the very bold who have done his preparation. If you don't have a compact swing, good footwork, and little experience under your belt, you may not be able to control this beast!

Improvement:

Great blade for advanced offensive players who look for a balance between speed and spin; no weakness that I can spot so far, but I wish Stiga's WRB technology can be apply here because of my use of Stiga Titanium WRB.

Acoustic Acoustic Acoustic
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 10:36pm
thethinker,

Great review...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 3:57am
Thanks speedy! Just following the leader. LOL. BTW I like to find out what the layers of woods are also but that infomation is not available on Mr Moon's site.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 9:27am
Blade:  Nexy Oscar ( 5 ply + 2 Arylate/Carbon)
Speed:  8.5
Control:  9.0 (better than the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit)
Feel:  Medium
Weight:  91 grams
Handle : Straight and similar to the Michael Maze in size and feel.
Rubbers:  Forehand : 2.1mm Tenergy 64 and 2mm 868 Tokyo, which were taken off my Michael Maze.

Review

A well balanced blade 91 gram blade, with outer plies that look just like the outer plies of my Ishlion, which are Hinoki, with a high standard varnished finish.

Mr Moon Eui Bae has confirmed by email that the outer plies of the Oscar, are high grade Japanese Hinoki, which helps give it a different feel to any other arylate carbon I've used to date, i.e. the Timo Boll Spirit, Michael Maze, Dawei GTO and Galaxy K4.

Personally I like the feel of Hinoki, after playing with the Ishlion in the summer and was looking forward to playing with this blade.

The rest of the blade also has quality materials used in its construction, although I don't exactly know what the three inner wooden plies are.

However I do feel that Nexy have paid attention to detail, when developing the Oscar and it shows as they have produced what I feel is a great blade, with a good feel for the ball; which in turn makes it easier to play a good short game with, than the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit.

Don't get me wrong, the Timo Boll Spirit and Michael Maze are very good blades, which I know well, but I've always felt that their muted feeling made the short game harder, compared to say 5 ply wooden blades.

Anyone familiar with the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit will feel comfortable with this blade fairly quickly and speedwise, it is closer to the Michael Maze, which is good news for me, as I prefer the Michael Maze to the Timo Boll Spirit.

I agree with Speedy, the blade does provide the speed and control for power looping from mid-distance.

It also generates a lot of spin due to good dwell time, for a blade in it's speed class. This makes it easier to generate spin with compact loops closer in and one reason why I felt that 2.1mm Tenergy 64 performed better for me, when looping off the bounce and at the top of it, with the Oscar, than with the Michael Maze.

Likewise I picked up on how good it was for smashes close to the table and the accuracy for counter blocking, too. 

As thethinker mentions, this blade is ideal for topspin players, who want more speed on their loops, both close to the table and mid-distance.

I also agree this blade is good for players who can loop consistently, with a compact swing, good footwork and a little experience under your belt.

For players wanting to develop their looping skills, I would suggest a slower blade, than the Oscar.

True these are only my first impressions, but I am impressed with the Oscar's performance.

Improvement

The straight handle feels comfortable when playing with the blade, but the Color straight handle, with it's more rounded edges feels even more comfortable.

It's not so much an improvement, as an observation for those who would like a more rounded edge on their straight handle, which you can easily remedy with sandpaper and a few minutes.

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 2:11pm
Impressive review PeterC... Thumbs%20Up
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 2:23pm
I am a bit shy now about writing my review after those 3 brilliant ones above...Embarrassed
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am a bit shy now about writing my review after those 3 brilliant ones above...Embarrassed

Oh com'on... it will be better and better... can't get worse, trust me... you will do fine... LOL
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 5:21pm
I can't wait for Schlager's review of Oscar because he is using MM which would put him at a great position to make a comparison between the two.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 7:25pm
Fatt

Don't worry about what we've written.

Your thoughts and experience of playing with the Oscar, are just as valid as ours and we are interested in what you think.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

The hardest part for me was collecting my thoughts, before I started typing, in order to try and write a review, that hopefully was an interesting read.

p.s. One thing I forgot to add, was I tested the Oscar with a Chinese friend, who uses a Yasaka Extra cpen,with Blue Whale II on the forehand and J O Coppa Gold on the backhand, which is a good set up.

What I like about him is he's knowledgeable about the game, a good player and gives good feedback, whenever we test anything out.  He tried the Oscar and commented on how well it played and that he liked the Tenergy 64.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2009 at 5:18am
Peter C, is MM faster or slower than the Oscar? And which blade produces a higher arc on topspin?
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2009 at 8:20pm
thethinker

The speed of the Oscar, felt about the same as the Michael Maze, whereas I  forgot to take note of any differences in throw.

What I noticed more was the better control I had over Tenergy 64 on the Oscar, particularly in the short game and forehand looping.

One interesting fact that's come to light in my correspondence with Mr Moon Eui Bae, is that he plays with the Oscar himself, with Genius on the forehand and Nianmor on the backhand.

I must admit, I'm thinking of adopting this blade, as my main blade too.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 4:08pm
Played the Nexy Oscar  tonight. See french review here .

See you tomorrow for more complete review in english.
They are going to like it (the blade, not the review...) !
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

Played the Nexy Oscar  tonight. See french review here .

See you tomorrow for more complete review in english.
They are going to like it (the blade, not the review...) !
Can't wait to know more about your own and your friends' impressions about the Oscar. I was surprised you liked better at first the Color than the Oscar given that you play the Redshank. I wonder how your impressions will evolve when (or if) you give the 2 blades more time.
It's so nice that you brought your buddies in.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 6:03pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 6:06pm

PeterC, I am French. I was born and raised in France LOL. I am in Seattle as a legal alien only (for the last 12 years). I meant I can't wait to read what follows (jcdi has more reviewing details coming ahead about the Oscar).

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 6:08pm
and btw i am sorry about our qualification to the mundial...(just in case you are pissed about it).
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2009 at 6:41pm
That's quite funny, I didn't realise you were French.

Regarding the hand of Thierry Henry, I'm not directly affected, as I'm English; but I do have some sympathy for Irish friends.

Unlike them, I'm looking forward to watching my country playing in South Africa, next summer.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2009 at 11:28pm

Amongst the two I received (Color, Oscar), Oscar was definitly the one I expected to be the more promising. Being peered to TBS and MMaze by Peter C, 2 of my favorite blades...!

Same process as for the Color. 2 sessions, multiple players, xtend hs 2.0mm. 2 layers of joola varnish.
Mine is 86gr. A bit head heavy which is good for looping, not too much though.
Package : Received it in a nice and classy box. It's really impressive how every details are handled.
Look : Beautifull blade, nicely crafted. Every bit breathes quality.
Handle : Average. Comfy, a bit slim but with overgrip, perfect.
Behaviour : First hits in regularity, I was very satisfied. Clear sound, nice touch, decent speed. Particularity is the throw angle, it's LOW, very low. My rubbers are low throw, but on this blade (and I have quite a few blade...), balls are flying close to the net, if not touching it, everytime. It's good, I like it. however the speed  isn't even close to MMaze. I would compare it to Waldner senso carbon or Korbel. Touch is nice, excellent feedback. The thing is that the blade is very stiff (too ...?). Therefore, when I started to loop, I had to adjust my strokes. Coupled to the low throw, it needed a perfect footwork, placement to master the loops. It's not forgiving at all. Such blade requires high arm speed, very good technic. in other words, for advanced players only.
Blocking game is excellent. Low throw and stiffness help.
Hitting. Very good. that is actually in this part I feel the blade excells the most.

My friends, who have tried Oscar, liked it a lot. To be honest, since I was enjoying the Color more, I let them play with the Oscar most of the first session. However, the day after, I kept it 2 hours and played matches just like I had it for years. Eventhow the blade is very specific, adaptation time can be very short. I took a lot of pleasure but I was lacking  a bit of flexibility (the blade is far too rigid to my taste) for playing my looping game 100% accurately. Puzzling enough, I haven't lost any match with it...
In other words, I realise this is a great blade, but not for my game. My teammates were begging me to leave it to them for further play, but I had to go. That is to say, some will be hooked by this blade.
The blade shall fly to memepamal place next week for further test. He's a serial EJ and his knowledge is wide . his review should be more interresting . I suspect it should fit his game better than mine.
Stay tuned...
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2009 at 10:45am
I tried the Nexy Oscar with Tenergy 64 and the Nexy Dexter with Boost TC yesterday, and I will post the first parts of my reviews after playing the opposite setups tomorrow!
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 8:50am
Jim T

In answer to your question on the Color thread:

I've not tried the Galaxy W1, so I can't compare it to the the Oscar.

What I do know is the Oscar, Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit, are all blades worthy of consideration, for a player looking to buy an arylate carbon.

As to which one you prefer, is going to be down to personal preference; as all three blades are stand out products.

Out of the two Butterfly blades, I personally prefer the Michael Maze; which is one of my favourite blades, over the Timo Boll Spirit, whereas others feel the opposite.

The Oscar is a blade, I can imagine some players preferring over the Butterfly blades and hence the reason why I suggested to BH-man, a big fan of Timo Boll Spirit; to give it a test.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 11:22am
It's just that jcdi's review is a bit baffling. He is comparing it to two very different (imho) blades - Korbel (which is at least as fast as TBS) and Waldner Carbon Senso (which is certainly slower). Then he also says it is not very forgiving... it depends on his particular technique I guess...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 5:10pm
Bearing in mind JCDI likes playing with the Color; I can understand why he might feel the Oscar is unforgiving, particularly if he's compared the two blades, side by side.

Regarding the speed, I'll be interested in the views of Schlager, on this one.
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2009 at 6:11pm
I've been way too busy working the last days.. Sorry, guys!

Here are my first impressions of the Nexy Oscar blade:

I have been playing with the Butterfly Michael Maze as my main blade for a couple of years now, so I will base this review on comparing the two.

Blade:  Nexy Oscar ( 5 ply + 2 Arylate/Carbon)
Speed:  A little slower than my MM. This could have something to do with the fact that it is 3-4 g. lighter.
Control:  A little better control than the MM, but not as solid for blocking etc.
Feel:  Medium
Weight:  84 grams
Handle : Straight and similar to the Michael Maze in size and feel. Maybe a little more rounded at the edges, but not much.
Rubbers:  Tenergy 64 2.1, brand new, both sides for the first session, and Boost TC max, used for a while, the second.

Review:

All rubbers was attached with speed glue, and that might have affected my experiences a bit. The rubbers were a little louder than usual.

The blade is a little lighter than I'm used to, but it felt well balanced, and even with Tenergy it wasn't really head heavy. The finish and quality of the blade looks really good, but I decided to give it a thin layer of varnish, just in case, as the top plies looked like hinoki.

The blade felt good for counter hitting, as it had good control, and really good feel for a composite blade. It was a little more flexy than MM, which gave it a little more dwell time, and produced more spin while looping. I also felt that it gave a little better control for both looping and the short game due to the slight softer feeling.

However this also affected blocking a bit, as it didn't feel as solid and stable as the Maze. I have never been a fan of vibration and flex in a tt blade, so right now I feel that the control and feel I gain isn't worth the lost stiffness that I love so much for blocking and smashing.

Improvement:

Right now I feel that there are three improvements that could be made to the blade:

1. A bit thicker innerply, to make it a bit stiffer. (This could maybe be solved by getting one that is a few grams heavier, though.)

2. The edges on the top of the handle (which touches my hand between my thumb and my index finger, and the top of my middle finger) feels a little too sharp, and is kind of annoying, especially while serving. It could easily be solved by sanding them a bit, however!

3. Not really an issue, but I really don't like the design. The colours are very "loud" and the whole concept with the oscar and everything feels a bit tacky. IMO it would have been better to just have a clean surface under the rubbers. This doesn't affect how the blade plays, though. So as I said, it's not really an issue. More of a personal opinion about the design.

When looking at these 3 improvements I could think of right now, I realise that if you did this to the Oscar, it would become my beloved Michael Maze.

I can't wait to try it out more, and I really hope it proves me wrong! It is really promising, and if I can change my blocking technique a bit, I think this could be my new main blade!

-----

These are all just first impressions, and I plan to play a lot the coming weeks, so I will update this post with new impressions as I get to play with it more.

I'm sorry that it took so long, and that this first post wasn't as good as it should be. I really feel that you, the blade, and Mr. Moon Eui Bae deserves a lot better!

I'll be back!
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic