FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy reviews: Dexter ST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy reviews: Dexter ST
    Posted: 12/20/2009 at 7:21pm
Specs:

Blade: Nexy Dexter
Type: OFF-/OFF
Ply: 5 ply hinoki
Peers: The Tibhar IV-L and Power 40 comes to mind.
Speed: A bit slower and softer than the Oscar, but it feels springier on loops. 7.5/10
Control: Great control while looping, a bit springier in the short game than I'm used to, but after a couple of hours playing it was no problem.
9/10
Feel: medium to soft feel
Weight: 85 gr. 
Handle: ST
Rubbers: FH and BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64 2.1mm attached with speed glue

Review:

Nexy keeps surprising!

I was absolutely positive that I was going to like the Oscar better than the Dexter, but so far I enjoy the Dexter the most. I've beaten a lot of guys that I haven't beaten in a long time due to the extra control, and consistency, it has given me.

The blade is pretty thick (I haven't measured it), which makes it stiff, but the soft layers provide a great feel for the ball. This made looping a lot easier, and with some practice my sidespin blocks (chop blocks) were back on both fh and bh!

The blade kinda reminds me of the Tibhar IV-L and Power 40, which I liked a lot. However the Dexter is stiffer, which was what I missed in both the Tibhar blades, and the quality of the blade is a lot(!) better! The Tibhar blades was rough around the edges, and broke easily. But the Nexy Dexter has a great finish, and the build quality is outstanding. Just like the Oscar!

I know a lot of you guys use the Stiga Clipper, which in my opinion is too heavy, and too flexy. The Dexter is stiffer, lighter, and IMO provides a lot better feeling. Still I find it better for blocking, as it is stiffer, even though it's not as solid as the Clipper. So if you play european/japanese rubbers on the Stiga Clipper, but would like it a bit lighter and stiffer, then I would seriously consider trying the Dexter. The Clipper might still be better for chinese rubbers, though.

The Handle is a bit rounder than the Oscar (and of course the Michael Maze Off) and actually feels a bit better. The edges on the top of the handle do however go a little to low for my taste, and are sharp as h... I plan on sanding mine down a bit before my next session, and it won't be a problem anymore. The handle is a bit longer than the MM, but not as long as the Tibhar ST handles.

To sum this up I think I have found my new blade for a while. I love the extra control and feel I get from an all wood blade. And the Dexter is stiff, but still pretty light. It's easier to produce spin than with the A/C blades, and it's also a bit more forgiving on blocks and in the short game. I don't get to play as much as I used to, and this has given me the extra control to make up for my lousy technique and timing atm.

It's a great step up blade for those who wants a little more speed after outgrowing the usual "Primorac Off- +Sriver x2", and IMO a good alternative to the Stiga Clipper, at least when using Japanese/European rubbers. It's also a great match for Tenergy (I know this concerns a lot of you) for a mid distance looping/allround game!

Improvements:

If only the edges on the top of the handle was a bit narrower, or at least sanded down, so they weren't as sharp, this would be a perfect allround-offensive blade right out of the box. Other than that I just love it atm!
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2009 at 10:35pm
How come you compare it to IV-L and Power 40? They seem to be rather different. IV-L is lighter and not as fast, and generally ALL+/OFF- blade while Power 40 is more like OFF/OFF+, isn't it?

Also - you wrote that Dexter is 5 ply Hinoki. As far as I recall, only outer plies are Hinoki, then Spruce and ... Ayous in the center?

Would be interesting to compare Dexter and Color... but it seems nobody has them both at their disposal. Perhaps jcdi or APW64 could send you their Color or vice versa you to them, and we could have a quick comparison "death match" Smile or smth...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 1:50am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Would be interesting to compare Dexter and Color... but it seems nobody has them both at their disposal. Perhaps jcdi or APW64 could send you their Color

No way !Angry

or vice versa you to them, and we could have a quick comparison "death match" Smile or smth...

Ok ! Smile

More seriously, I expect Dexter to be a bit faster than color due to its extra thickness. M.Moon states color is an "improved" dexter evolution. I don't know what to think and yes, I'm ready to compare both.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 1:58am
Nice review and does make me want one of Nexy's all wood blade to EJ around.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 2:07am
I've just received my Dexter, It's thick, it has a comfortable big ST handle. Head size is similar to Hking/Acoustic. Now waiting the sealed handle to dry, will try and write a review soon.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 5:22am

How come you compare it to IV-L and Power 40? They seem to be rather different. IV-L is lighter and not as fast, and generally ALL+/OFF- blade while Power 40 is more like OFF/OFF+, isn't it?

Also - you wrote that Dexter is 5 ply Hinoki. As far as I recall, only outer plies are Hinoki, then Spruce and ... Ayous in the center?

Would be interesting to compare Dexter and Color... but it seems nobody has them both at their disposal. Perhaps jcdi or APW64 could send you their Color or vice versa you to them, and we could have a quick comparison "death match" Smile or smth...

Actually I found the IV-L and the Power 40 to be appr. equally fast. The power 40 was a bit heavier, but had more flex than the IV-L.

Edit: The letter I recieved said it's an offensive 5-ply hinoki blade. I'm not sure if that means hinoki outerplies, or hinoki all the way, but it's more likely that it's just the outerplies, and you're probably right about the rest.

I have slept on it now, and it's more comparable to IV-L, Persson Powerplay and Korbel SK7!

I'm not really that interested in trying Color. It seems to be softer and have more spin than the Dexter, and I don't think that would suit me at all.

I'll be glad to send the Dexter to APW46 or jcdi, though! After all I got it for free to test it out, and I don't mind sending it to either of you (or both) to try for a week or two :)

It would have to be some time in January, though. I think I'll go back around the 10th of January, so I won't really be needing it then.
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 9:00am
Schlager

I would be interested in trying the Dexter, too.

Construction wise, the Dexter has Hinoki outer plies, Spruce inner plies and an Ayous core.

As you rightly surmise, it uses the same woods as the Color; but with a thicker Ayous core and thinner Hinoki plies; which in turn makes it a faster blade.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2010 at 10:07am
I've received Dexter ST handle from Mr Moon for testing and Review.

Rubber for testing:
Fore Hand: H3 Provincial #20 41 deg 2,20 mm
Back Hand: Cermet 2,10 mm

Dexter has got a big comfortable, a bit rounded ST handle. It has larger head size than normal blades that I've owned. Probably due to meet the desired blade heaviness since the material used in constructing the blade is light. In order to make it heavier, the head size it made bigger.

Before I glue the blade with rubber cement, I use 1 layer of Donic water base sealer to seal the top ply.

My rubber size is the same as acoustic head size, gluing it on dexter, it become smaller, leaving the upper part above the wing not covered with rubber. Even it's not entirely covered by rubber, I found Dexter Head Heavy. If it's fit with dexter head size rubber, it will become even more head heavy.

Looping:
H3P 41 deg feels soft on Dexter, Looping is the most exciting to do with it. It has long dwell time although this blade is fast. It has catapult effect.
Since my previous blade is not as fast as Dexter, I can't loop well on the first time I hit it, but after several minutes, I found this blade is very powerfull looping machine. The issue is the control, with my previous setup Violin H3P tuned, I can perform more stable loop ( percentage of going inside the table ). With Dexter my percentage is getting lower, but my loop becomes faster and more deadly.

Smashing:
If looping is the good part, then smashing isn't. It lack of solidity. I wonder if I put Solcion on Dexter, it would feel like pillow when smashing.

Serving:
No Problem doing serve with H3P, the serve is even produce more heavy underspin.

Pushing and Short Game:
Flicking short underspin ball with Dexter+H3P is very easy to perform, pushing produce heavy underspin ball.

Blocking:
I found it's more difficult to block stably using Dexter than Violin.

Counter looping:
This blade also good on counterlooping, it has long dwell time, therefore make counter loop easier to perform. The ball seems stay at the blade longer.

Improvements:
1. The head size is too big, if it's more compact it would not become head heavy.
2. The Wing Area is sharp, need to be sanded.
3. For all wood blade, Dexter is a bit lack of feel.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2010 at 4:19am
May be BW2 would work better on Dexter because the weak areas that you speak of is the strong part of BW.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2010 at 4:32am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

May be BW2 would work better on Dexter because the weak areas that you speak of is the strong part of BW.

Dexter is more suitable for hard rubbers, but usually Hard rubbers are heavy (including BW2). Reducing the head size or replacing the material of wood of  the handle ( to make it handle heavy ) are the options to improve the balance of the blade.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2010 at 12:18pm
What's the weight of your Dexter?
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2010 at 9:21pm
Mine is 88 gr.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic