Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - learning from golf
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

learning from golf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: learning from golf
    Posted: 01/15/2015 at 2:14am
I like to study other sports and see how they approach growth in order to look for ideas to apply to table tennis. This article about the struggles that golf has been experiencing in recent years. It's interesting to compare their problems and solutions to ours. here's the link:

http://www.economist.com/news/christmas-specials/21636688-though-thriving-parts-asia-golf-struggling-america-and-much-europe?fsrc=email_to_a_friend
Sponsored Links

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 7:37am
one thing common to both for sure: tournament sandbaggers !

and EJ's in golf are probably pretty well-to-do

also golf is a game of honor and I can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody blurted "6" when they actually had 7

it is very regional. some places it is easy cheap and plentiful (South Carolina, Arizona)

some places are way overpriced (Las Vegas)

I urge those who never have tried and belittle it as non-active to try to walk 18. it is not nearly as effortless as many think

another similarity to tt is: many people have ego issues (sometimes resulting in cheating one's self) and people will quit rather than invest time to become proficient at it

:)
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 8:01am
Thanks! An interesting article. Though the observations would most likely put people off Golf...

I used to be crazy about golf and was part of the post-Faldo Tiger Woods inspired players...

I was lucky enough to meet a young assistant golf pro, who is still a good friend. We practiced and played and had lots of laughs. I only got better because I followed his young spirit...

He (or his friends) would say "just hit it and find it". And I did. We played bunker and chipping games and we had a scream...

Where did it go wrong...? Playing club matches with miserable gits, members complaining that we were practising on the course (even when it was empty), people driving the balls dangerously at you claiming that we were holding up play, whilst we were waiting for the green to clear. And more generally dirty tricks from the "Time-served" brigade...

Golf stop being enjoyable. My friend joined another club and we only play occasionally...

I rediscovered my love for Table Tennis...

Unfortunately, I have also met miserable gits in TT. Fortunately there's enough challenge and enjoyment to keep me coming back for more...

TT must learn (like golf) that it's not a gravy train and the sport is ultimately propped up by its supporters who are largely amateur players seeking achievement coupled with enjoyment. ...

Most golfers and TT'ers have played many shots (or a least one) that is equal to what they saw on TV; this supposed to keep us coming back more, or the hope of making those shots...

But if it stops being enjoyable then the costs (time, money, effort etc) start to outweigh the benefits (achievement, emotional satisfaction, fun... Etc)...

I'm off the soap box now...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Cochese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cochese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 8:41am
I definitely see similarities in golf, especially like CraneStyle said. When you hit shots similar to what you see on TV, pretty awesome feeling, even if you can't do it all the time.

Also, I think a lot of people just play golf as a hobby for fun, maybe not really trying seriously to improve or play in serious competition. This probably isn't a real issue at TT clubs, but sandbagging in competition is universal to any sport that has handicaps or ratings.

For golf, I am lucky enough to be a member of a club that has a strong playing, down to earth membership group. We are able to have club events that are competitive with 99% of participants not doing any major sandbagging. Pace of play is never an issue and the management has a small town, local business mentality. I wish I had access to a TT club that was the same way.

Unfortunately for TT, the closest real club is about 120 miles away, so a friend and I try to get there once a month, but it doesn't always work out. Best thing I have access to is a small rec league in my city and we have a table at our golf club that maybe a half dozen guys play once a week. So limited access is definitely an issue for me, just like golf is for some others.

Even though I don't have access to a bigger club, the people I do play with are good people, mostly just trying to have a good time, which makes the sport very enjoyable.

Yes I wish I had access to coaches and more competitive players to advance my game, but I can't discredit the good thing I have already.

Edited by Cochese - 01/15/2015 at 8:42am
Tibhar SPW
Adidas P7 Max/Vega Euro 1.8
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 5:34pm
There are many newer type sports and a bigger range of activities for kids including the sit down one's that people can get into now
 many sports are having to add a faster version to add more fun for younger people

in fact nearly 40 years ago we used to play with 3/4 clubs and run the whole time including when we hit the ball until we got to the green
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 7:00pm
Biggest waste of prime land. The sport priced it's self out of the market place. I don't know much of the big stars of golf, but hung out with the hackers for a long time, common thread among them, they tended to be cheap. They would spend hundreds of dollars on a club, reluctant to spend anything on their families. I think if you remember all that money Tiger Woods had, he only bought those gals a sandwich, kinda cheap. Compared to Table Tennis, not even close.
sharkcard
Iluminatis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iluminatis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 1:01am
The supply of golf courses has grown to be excessive, while the demand for participation in the game has gradually decreased, leaving course managers to compete for players. The golf industry is faced with aging and declining numbers of people interested in playing a traditional round of golf. It is so heartbreaking to see such results because I love golf and I play it for about nine years. Love just playing with my friends out of town and I also follow some forums with different articles like economically priced golf balls.

Edited by Iluminatis - 05/26/2020 at 6:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic