Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mizuno Q3/Q4/Q5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2019 at 1:50am

Yet, according to the official stats, the spin and speed are rated at 16 and 17 for Q3/Q4/Q5. Hmm...

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2019 at 2:11am
Yet, this official description confirms what I said:

Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2019 at 3:41am
Originally posted by AmiciSumus AmiciSumus wrote:

Hi,
Have anybody tried Q5 yet ?!

I have just purchased two sheets of Q5 in 2.1mm and have used them for about 5 hours now.
To be honest I am still struggling to get used to them, as they are quite different to anything I have tried recently.

Q5 is a fast rubber. Compared to a brand new sheet of MXP on my friend's Butterfly Amultart, the Q5 on my Nittaku S-CZ was at least as fast, despite the blade being slower and it was faster than the older sheet of Tenergy 05 on my other friend's Garaydia ALC.

This rubber really grabs the ball and can produce an incredible amount of spin when you get it right, but it does seem quite unforgiving if the angle of the blade or your timing is even slightly off.

I am finding it a bit lively in the short game, but no more than other fast rubbers.

I am also having difficulty adjusting to the rubber for blocking, however I am sure with a bit more time I will get used to it.

Lifting backspin I was surprised that a lot of my shots went long - normally, if anything I have the opposite problem. 

At the moment I am more comfortable with this rubber on my backhand, although it is faster and harder than the sort of thing I would normally use, it does seem more of a natural fit for a backhand rubber.

The packet lists the hardness as "47", I assume this is the same scale as ESN rubbers, as I got readings of 47 or 48 degrees with my Shore O durometer, which normally gives results that are very close to the ESN rating. It feels slightly softer in use, much like a lot of rubbers that either have a thinner or softer top sheet, I think in this case the it is more due to the pimple structure and a particularly supple top sheet.

Obviously I need more time with the rubber before coming to any conclusions, but at the moment I am thinking it is probably worth persevering with on my backhand, but possibly not for me on the forehand

AmiciSumus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiciSumus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2019 at 10:22am
Hi!
Thank you for a nice review ... I saw that TT11 had Q5 on sale last week, but I am some sceptical to buy and use that rubber ... I like to play with more Spin and I think Q4 is better for me then!
Cheers!
Butterfly Liu Shiwen ZLF FL 86 Gr
- Rasanter Grip 2.1 Black       
- Rasanter R47 2.0 Red

Butterfly Fukuhara Ai Pro ZLF FL 87 Gr
- Rasanter Grip 2.1 Red
- Rasanter R50 2.0 Black 
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2019 at 11:13am
Yes I was tempted by the TT11 offer and possibly should have got something different.

I do think this could be an amazing rubber in the right hands, I'm just not sure if it is right for me.

It certainly doesn't lack spin, so it could work for you, but it might be worth waiting for the 1.9mm to be available (since you use 2.0mm in your Rasanter) 

I'm should be able to get in at least 6 more hours with it this week, so might have a better opinion or more information then
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2019 at 3:35am
Let us know how it is after a week or two of training and playing with it. I was tempted by the tt11 offer, but I don't want something faster, just spinier, maybe I'll try Q4. Thanks for the review.

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2019 at 6:15pm
Any smell of a booster?
Foco OFF+(2)
FH: Omega 7 Asia / MX-P
BH: Omega 7 Pro
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Any smell of a booster?

Not that I noticed. Certainly not a strong smell.

Edited by Sedis - 06/06/2019 at 3:13am
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 3:08am
Thanks. Recently I find myself asking this question quite a bit more than usual. Not that I hate boosters, but more the fact that I definitely feel decrease of performance in heavily factory boosted rubbers like MX-P, Rhyzer 48, Z1, Vega Japan and few more. All those having a very strong odour. I can't say the same about Mantra , Omega  4, 7 Pro and Asia or a Tenergy

Edited by Kolev - 06/06/2019 at 3:09am
Foco OFF+(2)
FH: Omega 7 Asia / MX-P
BH: Omega 7 Pro
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 10:30am
While I can't say it smells like any specific booster I'm aware of, Q5 has a very pungent odor for the first 48 hours outside of the package. I would describe it as a cross between beef jerky and burning tires. Overall, not a pleasant scent.

The good news is that by now, I really need to put the rubber right up to my face to detect any smell.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 9:45am
After a longer than normal adjustment period, I am now gettng on really well with the Q5. It works really well with fast compact strokes, producing a lot of spin, making it especially suited for my backhand.
I normally use something a bit softer, but this is not an issue, although I would be interested if they bring out slightly softer sponged versions.

I am also getting on much better with it on my forehand, but I am keen to try the Q4 on this side as I think the pimple structure might be better suited to this. 

Since the Q5 apparently has an improved sponge, I wonder if they will bring out updated versions of Q3 and Q4 so the only difference is the pimple structure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic