Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Factive Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
clag View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Factive Review
    Posted: 03/12/2023 at 5:22am
thanks for the review, I prefer to answer here than opening a new topic :

For an intermediate player (offensive close/1m from table) do you think Vega intro has more potential (FH&BH) or Nitakku Factive is better (FH&BH) ?

edit :just tested factive and didnt like it that much (I guess soft topsheet on medium sponge is not my taste), will stay with intro on BH and maybe move to vega pro / g1 on FH.

Edited by clag - 03/13/2023 at 1:48pm
Sponsored Links

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2018 at 12:16pm
thanks for the review
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 1:06pm
sorry, I was just joking about the rating difference Embarrassed

~1300 is the best estimate I could come up with since I am returning to TT after a long hiatus. once I play a few more tournaments and polish up on my skills I will report back with better estimate. 

Edited by Dream1700 - 02/27/2018 at 1:13pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

I am around 1300 strength (West Coast, which is about 2000 on the East Coast scale

How did you arrive at this?

Via time-honored WAG ('wild a** guess') technique, I presume.

For what it's worth - I played quite a few ~1500 West coasties at US Open and did not lose once as a lowly 1750 East coast player. 

50-100 point  difference I might be convinced (but you still need to show me some data, anecdotes are not enough) - 700 is a silly joke. 

P.S. Most of the time when someone says they are 'around XXXX strength', this usually means they don't actually have a rating, but 'estimate' themselves to be at that level. IMHO, of course.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 12:46pm

I am around 1300 strength (West Coast, which is about 2000 on the East Coast scale

How did you arrive at this?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Factive is interesting, as a medium-hard tensioned rubber lighter than 44g glued.
I cannot think of another.

Edit:
I meant of medium hardness. I only found medium-soft tension rubbers,
i.e. Vega Europe, being lighter than 44g.

I played a little against a robot with Vega Europe and Factive in the same thickness (1.8mm) on the same blade (twiddling). To be honest, often I can't even tell them apart. Factive feels a bit more crisp on power drives (probably due to harder sponge). Factive also lacks Vega's catapult. Spin generation seems similar.  At this point (and it is still early days in my testing the setup) I actually prefer Factive to Vega because I find Vega's catapult more annoying than helpful.

I am around 1300 strength (West Coast, which is about 2000 on the East Coast scale)

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2018 at 6:40pm

Does "<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Made in Germany" essentially mean "Made by ESN" when it comes to rubber?</span>

Yes!
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2018 at 6:33pm
Does "Made in Germany" essentially mean "Made by ESN" when it comes to rubber?

Edited by Dream1700 - 02/19/2018 at 6:34pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I've looked all over (even French forums) for information and positioning about Factive and came up with nothing. If Nittaku is only concerned with the Japanese market, I wish them all the luck competing against Rozena, of which there is tons of information. Sorry, I don't read Japanese.

I know, that's not your fault of course.  Nittaku has its focus and I presume they make decisions for their own reasons.  You can read an english-language catalog here...

...but their focus is certainly on their home market.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 10:57am
I've looked all over (even French forums) for information and positioning about Factive and came up with nothing. If Nittaku is only concerned with the Japanese market, I wish them all the luck competing against Rozena, of which there is tons of information. Sorry, I don't read Japanese.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 10:52am

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I don't think it fits into the Fastarc line at all in terms of materials - the topsheet doesn't look like anything I've seen before, that I can remember anyway.  So not like M2/M1 because they were similar apart from sponge hardness.  But certainly a step down in hardness and speed on Fastarc P1, although not as big step as I had anticipated and - crucially - the spin is pretty much just as good.

This is the problem. No one knows what is the purpose of this rubber or most rubbers thrown into the marketplace. Vendor strategy seems to be to come up with new names for opaque technologies, throw it out into the marketplace, and see what happens.

No, you've misrepresented what I said there.  I was answering a specific question about if Factive fits directly into the Fastarc series.  I'm not sure because I'm not privy to how the rubbers are put together, the ingredients used, that kind of thing.  I've said I don't think so because it looks and plays differently but there's no way to be sure definitively, and that's not a failing of the marketing - it's just the way things are.  I don't expect Nittaku to give me this information beyond numerical evaluation of speed/spin and some descriptive text.  It would be great if they said - hey guys, this is Baracuda's old sponge with Vega Japan's topsheet - but there are obvious reasons why this won't fly.

As for the rest of it, I think you're just wrong about this particular rubber.  You seem to have an axe to grind, which is fine of course (and you're not wrong about TT marketing in general IMO), but Nittaku have done quite a lot to position Factive and inform potential customers (rubber matrix, press and forum reviews, video reviews and so on).  Unfortunately, most of that has happened in Nittaku's major market - Japan.  They're a Japanese company after all.

You just seem focused on the name more than anything else.  You want to know if it would work for you - well, read the back of the packet.  What do you think?

About Nittaku - they really do put a boatload of effort into this stuff, but it is unfortunately in Japanese.  Have a look at the product page - 

We have numbers, descriptions, a mini review, and some really cool PDF files towards the bottom that basically give you the info you want I think.  Sure, it's a shame there aren't english language versions of those, but it's Nittaku's decision to focus on their home territory.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I don't think it fits into the Fastarc line at all in terms of materials - the topsheet doesn't look like anything I've seen before, that I can remember anyway.  So not like M2/M1 because they were similar apart from sponge hardness.  But certainly a step down in hardness and speed on Fastarc P1, although not as big step as I had anticipated and - crucially - the spin is pretty much just as good.

This is the problem. No one knows what is the purpose of this rubber or most rubbers thrown into the marketplace. Vendor strategy seems to be to come up with new names for opaque technologies, throw it out into the marketplace, and see what happens.

A market strategy must first:

1) Identify a problem

2) Identity the target market

3) Identify how the new product solves the problem for the target market

4) Have the product reviewed/tested/endorsed by members of the target market?

TT marketing, is worse than pitiful.

I did run across a review of Factive on a Russian forum, and in a broken English translation, it appears that the rubber is targeted to entry level players looking to step into the ESN rubbers or those who are using ESN but want to practice with a rubber with more control.

As usual, the reviews were mixed about the rubber, the biggest issue being that there is nothing great to talk about, which is not unexpected, since a reviewer who is fine with the catapult of modern ESN is going to find all entry level rubbers lacking (e.g.Rozena). What the vendors need to do is get entry level players and/or their coaches to review entry level rubbers, but they don't. They just throw it out there into the be-wilderness of hundreds of other rubbers.

This rubber mat be just what I'm looking for - but I have no idea if it is.

Edited by richrf - 11/10/2017 at 1:24pm
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 12:18pm
Factive is interesting, as a medium-hard tensioned rubber lighter than 44g glued.
I cannot think of another.

Edit:
I meant of medium hardness. I only found medium-soft tension rubbers,
i.e. Vega Europe, being lighter than 44g.

Edited by pitigoi - 11/10/2017 at 2:54pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

If Butterfly hasn't come up with something better than T05 then they are clearly happy to keep it as their flagship rubber, or milk it if you prefer. That's marketing by concentration. The other brands aren't better or worse at marketing, just using a strategy of differentiation across many more products.

I agree with this.  I think most of the discussion above was that the "strategy of differentiation" approach leads to more consumer confusion, which I partly agree with but don't agree that it's ESN's fault, and it varies from reseller to reseller.

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

From what I have seen the most common generic setup recommendation for a coached kid is tb alc with t05 or t64. Until that changes Butterfly occupies the high ground and the other companies are mostly fighting among themselves.

Tenergy has become a vanilla default type of rubber range - a safe option for anyone starting out their development along a generic topspin attacking path.  Butterfly got to that high ground in the early days of Tenergy when it brought a clear advantage after the glue ban.  Now that advantage doesn't exist in performance terms (IMO only, I know not everyone will agree), but the general perception is that it's the best in some objective way - most used by pros, most expensive, most popular, etc.  But since Tenergy broke the mold to some degree on release, Butterfly have vastly pumped the price and rigged territorial control.

I can't see how other companies can break the mindset of "BTY=Best because BTY=Best", but some are improving in recent years (Nittaku, Andro, Stiga have done well IMO).  Butterfly are without doubt the market leader and overhauling them just won't happen overnight, if ever.

Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

Quote From what I have seen the most common generic setup recommendation for a coached kid is tb alc with t05 or t64. Until that changes Butterfly occupies the high ground and the other companies are mostly fighting among themselves.
- I don`t think MX-P and EL-P/EL-S are a worse option for a coached kid. It`s time for BTY to regain superiority.

Totally, but how do you change the mindset of the people making these decisions?  It's a long road, but Tibhar have done well with their player sponsorship recently.

Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

About Factive - can we consider it as a "Fastarc P-2", a step down from P-1 in hardness and speed, but in the same series, like Bluefire M2 from M1?

GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 11:38am
Quote From what I have seen the most common generic setup recommendation for a coached kid is tb alc with t05 or t64. Until that changes Butterfly occupies the high ground and the other companies are mostly fighting among themselves.
- I don`t think MX-P and EL-P/EL-S are a worse option for a coached kid. It`s time for BTY to regain superiority.

About Factive - can we consider it as a "Fastarc P-2", a step down from P-1 in hardness and speed, but in the same series, like Bluefire M2 from M1?

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 11/10/2017 at 11:39am
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 9:50am
If Butterfly hasn't come up with something better than T05 then they are clearly happy to keep it as their flagship rubber, or milk it if you prefer. That's marketing by concentration. The other brands aren't better or worse at marketing, just using a strategy of differentiation across many more products.

From what I have seen the most common generic setup recommendation for a coached kid is tb alc with t05 or t64. Until that changes Butterfly occupies the high ground and the other companies are mostly fighting among themselves.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 9:01am
One of the world's greatest and sophisticated EJs having a forum chat with one of the most conservative and traditional equipment purchasers.  Fun to read.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 8:37am
New Nittaku rubber with purple sponge.
New Thibhar rubber with purple sponge.
Mizuno also came up with purple sponge.

There must be some plot behind this !!!!!
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 7:09am
I think people have such a glowing opinion of Butterfly that they can do no wrong, but I suppose that impression has been built up over many years for a reason.  

Rozena to Butterfly is almost a direct analog to Factive for Nittaku in how it's being marketed and targeted.  The only difference is that Butterfly has built up a brand around spring sponge, whereas Nittaku has "spin-speed tension".  Now fair enough, Butterfly has done a lot more to describe their sponge tech over the years and that does help with putting Rozena into a pigeon hole, but I don't feel that the difference in context here is so big.  Both companies have provided a lot of info about these rubbers.

Anyway, first report is up.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:06pm
Thanks Andy for the advice!

With your BMW analogy, one can observe how it is possible to build a great brand, with continuity and consistency together with steady innovation, and thus build customer loyalty. It is a good model to follow. I think Butterfly was smart in introducing Rozena as a all-around rubber with continuity with Tenergy via the sponge rubber. Lower end with continuity.

Edited by richrf - 11/09/2017 at 12:13pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 11:49am

Hi Andy,

What I would do is build one great line of rubber and matching blades, and market the heck out of it, making sure there is plenty of consistency, continuity, and predictability. I thought Tibhar was on the right track with Evol but they sprung a leak. It's always the one big winning line that makes a company.

About two months ago, Baal suggested I just buy Tenergy. In retrospect, pretty good advice and that is where I'll probably end up, Tenergy on the Korbel (Japan).

There's nothing wrong with Tenergy.  Apart from the things that are wrong with it, and so on.  Equally, you could just buy MX-P.  Butterfly are interesting in that they stuck with one product for absolutely ages and didn't mess with the formula too much.  This isn't the norm, and you could argue that you're not innovating if you do this - you're milking a cash cow.  Imagine BMW releasing a 3 series 10 years ago and never changing it, if you wanted a terrible, ham-fisted analogy.  Again, I don't actually believe this and I also believe that the ESN crowd release too many rubbers too often, but I'm just trying to offer a view from the other end of the scale.  I think the ideal is somewhere in the middle of this, but as a simple end-user I try to get on with things and cope by writing verbose TL,DR posts on forums.

Personally, I like the current ESN crop a bit more than Tenergy, or older-gen ESN rubbers, so I'm glad they keep pushing things forward.  I'm happy with where I ended up, so I wouldn't want a company like Andro to still be selling 6 Hexer rubbers and nothing else but sinking possible R&D money into player sponsorship instead.  But the trick is in your proposal - "build one great line" of things and market it.  That one great line of things is built on top of years and years of development and investment in previous products.  If they never happened because you wanted to freeze your product lines, you don't have your great product.  Butterfly are slow and methodical, ESN are like a frenzied mayfly in comparison.  One introduces change in big bangs, one makes slow incremental evolutionary steps.

As long as you buy something in the right general region to match the style you're looking to use, you're on the right track.  Don't over-think it - it's not so important.  Stay away from extremes to reduce risk of making a bad purchase.  Try things out on clunmate's bats.  If you're a two-winged highly aggressive looper with regular coaching then you have a huge range to choose from and MX-P, Rasant, Tenergy won't hold you back.  It's hard to make a bad decision if you pick from any of the major ranges.  Picking Tackiness C, or long pips, probably won't help that style.  If you're an allround, less mobile player who can't train often then huge spin sensitivity and catapult might work against you, so a less extreme rubber like Factive might be better, but it all depends.  If you chop or defend mostly then you need to look for different things again.  But messing around in the margins is just wasting time and money in all honesty.  
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 11:17am
Hi Andy,

What I would do is build one great line of rubber and matching blades, and market the heck out of it, making sure there is plenty of consistency, continuity, and predictability. I thought Tibhar was on the right track with Evol but they sprung a leak. It's always the one big winning line that makes a company.

About two months ago, Baal suggested I just buy Tenergy. In retrospect, pretty good advice and that is where I'll probably end up, Tenergy on the Korbel (Japan).

Edited by richrf - 11/09/2017 at 11:18am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 9:48am

Andy, I believe that table tennis manufacturers, will continue destroy their own branding because that is what they always do. Butterfly, with Tenergy, demonstrates consistency, clarity, and continuity.

I look at Factive and ask myself what the heck is it? The manufacturer, via its distributor, provides some sheets of rubber, which are no doubt of the highest quality, for review, and then comes the dozens more reviews all in conflict with each other. At the end it means nothing.

As a counter example, I thought Tibhar was doing an excellent job of developing branding around the Evol line of products, naming convention and all, until they released Aurus Prime and Select! Confusion again. ☺

Branding, consistency, continuity, builds customer confidence and loyalty, and Nittaku as with other vendors, just don't understand this. However, within Japanese table tennis clubs, where their equipment can be tried out and examined, I am sure they will continue to do well. G-1 is an excellent example of this type of word of mouth marketing. But one can only go so far by word of mouth.

I think you're going out of your way to be confused.  Let me apply your argument to Butterfly.

Butterfly has Tenergy, does all the Tenergy variations, and over the years has built up a really great description of what each version is, does, who it's aimed at and so on.  And then it brings out Bryce Highspeed!  And Rozena!  Confusion all over the place.  Madness, mass hysteria, panic in the streets, will they ever learn?

Of course, Butterfly have done a good job of distinguishing between Tenergy and these two new rubbers (particularly with Rozena) by providing good marketing material to position them in their own range.  So I don't have a problem with this really, just playing devil's advocate.  And many other resellers bring out rubbers more often than Butterfly, and that can get tiring.  But everyone else does the same kind of thing to one degree or another, with varying success.

So, Tibhar did well with Evolution.  Aurus is a different range of rubber they sell, aimed at different players, with different properties.  They give different metrics for Aurus, and the marketing tries to make suggestions as to how to differentiate between them.  I don't find this confusing at all.  I'd like MORE information, sure, but that's just me - more stuff might be more confusing for the average consumer, I don't know.  And going back through their range we have Quantum, Q, Genius, Nimbus and so on.  There's a lot of history, and a lot of data, but confusion?  The info is there is you want it, and if you trust it.

If you look at Factive and ask what is it, I mean - can you be bothered to read about it?  Google it?  It's a rubber with supporting information.  At some point you have to put some effort in yourself, as a consumer.  Nittaku have built up a reputation as a brand, and supply good info on their products IMO.  The fastarc range is an excellent example of the very thing you're trying to criticize them for.  But they bring out something different, they explain that it's different, they put it in their rubber matrix and provide the numbers, and it's confusing?  By your reasoning, no one can bring out anything new without causing confusion.

I don't have any particular skin in this game by the way - I bought Factive with my own money because it was on offer, and I'm interested in the middle ground that ESN are working in at the moment between classics and "full fat" tensors.  But I don't have a particular love of Nittaku or anything.

I suppose the question is - what would you have done?  You're Nittaku, and you have an established range of rubbers (from different manufacturers).  You have fastarc, fyatt, alhelg and so on.  And you want to bring out a more control-orientated ESN rubber because that seems like a growth area and something to offer consumers.  So you go to ESN, you say "make this thing for me, here is the brief", they make it.  You bring it to market, supply the marketing, say specifically who it's aimed at, position it in your range relative to other rubbers.  This is where Nittaku are now, what they actually did.  What additional stuff would you have done to make it less confusing?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 9:13am
Andy, I believe that table tennis manufacturers, will continue destroy their own branding because that is what they always do. Butterfly, with Tenergy, demonstrates consistency, clarity, and continuity.

I look at Factive and ask myself what the heck is it? The manufacturer, via its distributor, provides some sheets of rubber, which are no doubt of the highest quality, for review, and then comes the dozens more reviews all in conflict with each other. At the end it means nothing.

As a counter example, I thought Tibhar was doing an excellent job of developing branding around the Evol line of products, naming convention and all, until they released Aurus Prime and Select! Confusion again. ☺

Branding, consistency, continuity, builds customer confidence and loyalty, and Nittaku as with other vendors, just don't understand this. However, within Japanese table tennis clubs, where their equipment can be tried out and examined, I am sure they will continue to do well. G-1 is an excellent example of this type of word of mouth marketing. But one can only go so far by word of mouth.

Edited by richrf - 11/09/2017 at 9:15am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 9:00am

Andy, table tennis companies are marketing lightweights. They have no idea what branding is all about and the value it brings to customers and their own company. Branding is suppose to denote a promise of quality, consistency, and extraordinary customer service. In the ESN worldit denotes confusion, which is detrimental to the sport but somewhat fun for ejing. Confusion is never supportive of growth which is why Butterfly dominates. Butterfly understands how to build a message and a customer base. When players buy Tenergy they know what they are buying. Who the heck knows what is Factive and no amount of reviews is going to clarify.

In terms of marketing, Comparing ESN to Butterfly is a false equivalence in many ways.  ESN aren't responsible for the majority of the end-user marketing of their products, and they take more of a back seat in recent years by allowing (or mandating, or whatever) the resellers to use their own iconography.  It would be more reasonable to compare, say, Andro, Nittaku, Stiga or Xiom to Butterfly in this regard.  There is no "ESN world" beyond what we discuss here as casual forum chat.  "ESN" doesn't seem to be a brand that particularly wants to be marketed to the general public, so why evaluate them on it?

I think some ESN resellers are better than others in trying to make their products more understandable.  Butterfly are excellent in this regard, and have themselves improved a lot recently IMO (their blade matrix is a big step forward IMO and far less misleading than previously).

I think it's fair to say that Butterfly's marketing is more cohesive and understandable than, say, Xiom.  But I think it's grossly unfair to blame the inability to compare across ESN resellers on ESN - that isn't their responsibility and I'm sure each individual reseller wouldn't want us to be able to directly compare in this way, regardless of how useful it would be to consumers.

Let's take Factive for example.  Nittaku have put a fairly good level of information out there about it, what it does, who it's aimed at.  They have a rubber matrix so you can position it within their own range, close-up pictures, reviews and reports by several levels of players.  Unfortunately they're a japanese company and are focused on their own internal market so most of this info isn't in English, so that sucks as international consumers.  But that's why reviews are a nice thing to have IMO.

Comparing Factive, a new rubber, to an established giant like Tenergy is pretty tenuous.  Tenergy has been around for a long time now.  A lot of info and data on it has built up over the years and we all have a good grasp on what it is, positives and negatives.  It would be better to compare Factive, or any new rubber, to how Tenergy was initially released, and in that sense I don't think Factive's marketing compares particularly badly.  In making the comparison you make, any new rubber would fare badly so why bother to release new rubbers?  You just sound apathetic towards it, which is fine, but that isn't Nittaku's fault.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 8:24am
Andy, table tennis companies are marketing lightweights. They have no idea what branding is all about and the value it brings to customers and their own company. Branding is suppose to denote a promise of quality, consistency, and extraordinary customer service. In the ESN world it denotes confusion, which is detrimental to the sport but somewhat fun for ejing. Confusion is never supportive of growth which is why Butterfly dominates. Butterfly understands how to build a message and a customer base. When players buy Tenergy they know what they are buying. Who the heck knows what is Factive and no amount of reviews is going to clarify.

Edited by richrf - 11/09/2017 at 9:02am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 6:42am
Gah, I'm still going.  I just can't stop.

Xiom Musa I is specifically labelled differently to Xiom's generally-accepted Tensors.  Musa I is labelled "physi elasto", and stuff like Vega Pro is "hyper elasto".  Here is TT11 on Musa I:

Quote PHYSI ELASTO technology – innovated from the historied construction of classic rubber – made MUSA the new killing machine. Controls over service, service return and pre-attack rally are professionally accurate. Backhand attacks are far more comfortable to make and become magically flexible to manage. Winning probability of MUSA to a classic offensive player reaches higher than any other classic rubbers. Unforced error in your game reduces dramatically to stabilize your pace and to dominate the game eventually. MUSA has the innovative physical construction to generate more energy on the ball. Your power-charged ball makes the quality attack with sharp speed and heavy spins to open more winning opportunities. Be sensible to the real result and Win with us. This is the first XIOM rubber without in-build TENSION effect so this rubber is perfect for the traditionally and control Allround and Attack Strategy. The MUSA is the first rubber with the new PHYSI ELASTO technology: REVOLUTIONIZED CONTROL ON NEW TECHNICAL PLATFORM EASIER FOR BETTER–PROVED WINNING PROBABILITY ENERGIZED SPIN AND SPEED BY RE-ENGINEERED PRODUCTION

Musa I has the bios logo, and physi elasto.  Musa III, on the other hand, has hyper elasto and bios.  My reaction to all of this collectively is that hyper elasto strongly suggests "Tensor" and physi elasto suggests "something else".  But Xiom are essentially insane and I try not to read too much into what they say at their own end of things.  Their new website seems to throw the various logos around like salt bae throws salt.  Musa I on the website does have tensor and bios images under the picture, but looking at how the website is structured they only seem to have one image for Bios, and it includes both Tensor and Bios logos.  That could mean a variety of things, supporting either argument.

Musa II is described and labelled as physi elasto and bios, Musa III as hyper elasto and bios.  What I'm going to say is that I think Musa I and II aren't Tensors, but III is ("MUSA III, newly tuned from HYPER ELASTO,") but then the website has no tensor bios image under Xiom II or III.  Impossible to say anything for sure one way or another when Xiom are used as a witness.

And of course we now have "elasto futura" with Omega VII, along with all the other bits.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

The issue I have with separating BIOS from Tensor is that, BIOS, as described on the tensor.de, was(not sure if that's still the case given what we have now) the next generation in the development of Tensor technology. They wrote Tensor was born in 1998, improved upon in 2005, presumably the Tensor 3G, then came the Tensor BIOS in 2006 with the impending glue ban, which was ultimately delayed to 2008. Under the BIOS page, they used the phrase "In developing Tensor BIOS".

Look, as much as this is interesting for me personally, it's a big derailment of this thread (and of course I'm contributing to that).  So I'll try to make this the last one from me.  

The way I read the above, and most of what you've found so far, is that Tensor happened, then Tensor Bios.  So Tensor was Biosed - a Bios process was added to Tensor.  The marketing and renaming by Joola suggest that Bios is some kind of more eco-friendly process applied to the original Tensor design.  The way I've always imagined it is that these are two steps in a development process.  But regardless, there was Tensor, and then Tensor Bios.  There is a difference between the two things.  There are two logos, rather than one "Tensor Bios" logo.  My opinion is that this difference, whatever it is, can be applied independently of the original state.  So you can Bios a Tensor, or Bios a non-Tensor, whatever that might mean.  That guess is just based on how these things are labelled, marketed, discussed, and how they actually play when I try them out.  Bios, without the Tensor, is a new-ish thing (the last few years only) because ESN have only recently been producing a lot of "entry level" rubbers for all the various resellers.  ESN are unlikely to reveal anything interesting about the process, so we are only going to have educated guesses to go on.  But with it being a recent change in the way ESN rubbers are labelled up and described, I don't think looking back 11 years ago is as helpful as you might think.  "Tensor Bios" were always together because could have been the only type of rubber they made back then - both things together, both logos together.  It's easy to come up with possible explanations for this stuff if you try.

Of course, the logo, packaging and marketing situation is muddled, and it has been inconsistent obver the years in my eyes.  I can't see how either one of us will prove the other one "wrong".  But for a second, narrow your focus to GA5 and GA8.  Why would one have Tensor and Bios, and one Bios?  Why would the Tensor one behave like most of ESN's top-shelf products, and the other like their slower, allround offerings?  Why would DHS use the word "Respectively" when describing Tensor and Bios to GA8 and GA5?  Why would the back of the GA5 packet say this specifically...

Quote Double Happiness Gold Arc 5 - an inverted rubber that integrates the intensive pimple-structure and BIOS technology to provide stable control and excellent hand feel.

...mentioning Bios and not Tensor.  An effort has been made here to include Tensor in GA8 and to exclude it for GA5 in both use of logos and the written word.  I suppose it could be all a mistake, a very elaborate ruse, or a weird coincidence.  I don't think it is in this case, but that's just my opinion.

How it relates to Factive I can't say.  With Nittaku using their own naming approach and not subscribing to the use of the Tensor and Bios logos then I won't be able to say anything for sure, regardless of the way this discussion has progressed.  I'm more interested in where it sits when compared to the two ends of the recent ESN spectrum - the slower, allround stuff they've made recently versus the traditional high-catapult offerings.  Because that's important information worth discussing that might help people make decisions, especially considering how hard it is to to compare across resellers.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 3:16am
The connection between Green Power and BIOS is strong, given BIOS is about incorporating speedglue effect without the use of speedglue. Such a nice ring to it. I suppose Geo-grip Power is similar to Donic's Spin-elastic. As for the other ones, I'm clueless.

The issue I have with separating BIOS from Tensor is that, BIOS, as described on the tensor.de, was(not sure if that's still the case given what we have now) the next generation in the development of Tensor technology. They wrote Tensor was born in 1998, improved upon in 2005, presumably the Tensor 3G, then came the Tensor BIOS in 2006 with the impending glue ban, which was ultimately delayed to 2008. Under the BIOS page, they used the phrase "In developing Tensor BIOS".

Quote Produced since 1998

Tensor technology has existed since 1998. For the first year, only pimple-in rubbers were produced, but since then the range has been extended to include all other types of rubbers, since the Tensor effect can enhance the performance of both short and long pimples.

The goals of Tensor product development

● Robustness to resist bubbles and tears. The technology to achieve this was further improved in autumn 2005
● Product safety. Although it is usual for other manufacturers to use toluene in the process of gluing top sheet onto sponge, none has ever been used in Tensor products because it is suspected of harming the human genome. In 2006, the Tensor BIOS generation of products was launched, addressing the issues of health and safety even more clearly.
● Enhancing performance. Naturally, we will always be seeking to improve the performance delivered by Tensor technology. For most players, the Tensor BIOS generation of products represents a completely satisfactory alternative to speedgluing. But research will of course continue…

Andro has been very consistent with their use of the Tensor and BIOS trademarks over the years. I'm not aware of any "proprietary" trademarks. The only exceptions are the Plasma and Roxon series.

The Plasma series has both logos and the Roxon has neither logos on the package, and both topsheets carry the Tensor logo only. Yet, when the Plasma and the Roxon were released circa June 2006 and March 2007, respectively, the synopsis clearly stated they came with Tensor BIOS, with both logos. The current product pages for both also show both logos.

http://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/details/goods_id/767

http://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/details/goods_id/770

Edited by zeio - 11/09/2017 at 3:41am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 6:27am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

All right, I just came back from the Joola website. Mamma Mia. I feel like a cuckoo now. In the 2017 catalog, it dawned on me that only a handful of models come with the Tensor logo. None carry the BIOS logo.

Golden Tango
X-plode
X-plode Sensitive
Energy
Energy X-tra
CWX
Badman Reloaded
Express ultra
Tango Ultra

That's it for the Tensors.

Does that mean the more popular ones like the Max series and the Rhyzm series are not Tensors?

I have always been under the impression that they are.

My head hurts.

If they have the Tensor logo, definitely Tensors.

Now, I'd always assumed that Joola had renamed "Bios" to "Green Power".  Big assumption of course, just based on....intuition I suppose.

And here is the next assumption - Joola rebadged "Tensor" as "Geo-blahblahblah", just as Tibhar did with SPI-gubbins, and Xiom did with Elasto-thingy.  But then they haven't used that in all cases of new rubbers, so they would be doing this selectively.

Sometimes it's pretty clear what's going on - I think GA5 and 8 is one of the better cases actually.  Then we can make some common sense assumptions by inference.  Joola MAXX is pretty similar (in material design) to MX-P, which is pretty similar to Bluefire M1, and so on backwards through history.  None have the Tensor logo - they all use their own jargon - but from our experience of how ESN operate and how the rubbers play we can reasonably (IMO) assume they are all Tensors.  It's not 100% and if someone produced some evidence that MAXX was made differently to MX-P and SPI was a renamed Tensor but Geo-blah wasn't then I could get behind that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic