Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Always new and shiny!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Always new and shiny!

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you support a subscription based model
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [46.15%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Always new and shiny!
    Posted: 08/10/2018 at 5:18pm
Can a business model where a company would ship a ready to go blade on a regular basis work? I am thinking of a membership where I pay an initiation fee and then I pay a subscription where I receive a new paddle every month, every other month, every quarter or 3 times a year. The idea is to make the players not glue ever again if they do not want to, without buying a brand new blade 6 times a year.

a membership would have the following parameters:

-pay an initiation fee equivalent to the cost of a custom box, a blade and 2 rubbers upfront with a 20% discount from the store full price; all will remain the property of the company, the customer does not own anything.
- after x months, ship the blade back and receive another brand new blade with the same brand new rubbers for the cost of the new rubbers only minus 20%.

I feel like the built in loyalty would allow people to change blades and rubbers more often (they would pay the difference if they go for something more expensive...) and the company would accommodate variations and discounts because the certainty of a fixed predictable  revenue coming in from those members.

Buying one set would make the player not having a blade for a week or so each time it's time to change rubbers; I guess a few players would not care while most would go for a matching pair so the player would have one blade only for a week and the replacement of rubbers would happen twice less often so the difference in cost will be only the upfront cost of a blade and 2 rubbers and the rubbers would be changed once every 4 months instead of 2 (note that there is no need to purchase 2 boxes even though I would argue one box per blade per subscription should be automatic for standardization and cleanness of the process). 

I guess a rubber losing its factory tuning is an important factor so in the case above we would order blade(1) and 2x rubbers(1) on day 1 and blade 2xrubbers(2) 30 days later. If the company ships the paddles in a sealed vacuum bag the model might work. 

If the box is also designed to exchange gas the least possible with the outside then in conjunction with the sealed vacuum bag, the factory tuning should evaporate much slower. Of course timing of replacement is everything to insure maximum tuning at play time whenever.

Should the box be free? I think not: the formula targets people who are lazy, too busy, want a professional setup without hassle or a combination of all of the above so those people have money and therefore it would be smarter to include a fancy box that adds value and can be considered as capital at the same level than the blade itself.

Some people would want to keep the same blade and just change the rubbers? too bad, that's too close to the normal thing to be worth it given the shipping costs. It would be the responsibility of the company to develop a stronger quality control for those customers to make sure they get the same blade (frequency, skull test, weight, balance etc...) and make that aspect plain irrelevant.

What are the ways people would unfairly take advantage of the system to make it fail? that's a hard one, like the bike share program out there...it's hard to predict people's behaviors and we always underestimate how they don't care about destroying things when it's not theirs and they can get away. I am sure there is a lot of room for scammers to enjoy but I know a few people who know those well and no doubt the company has a few as well. There is always the ban stick that would say in better words: "sorry we can't accept you as a member anymore, you cost us too much and we know you do it on purpose, bye!".

Blades that come back in relatively good shape can be repaired; wood putty, epoxy, sanding, drying sealing, whatever...the customer would know well that they may play with a used blade. Of course there would be the "premium" membership where the customer can get a brand new blade each time. For all others, the edge table, brand new rubbers and exact same feel would make most customers not caring about professional repairs --> again, the company does not sell new blades and new rubbers, they just rent a high performing setup under certain conditions.

Edited by fatt - 08/10/2018 at 5:39pm
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 11:08am
Why not think of setting up an EJing service instead, where the player pays an initiation fee and receives a different setup to try, perhaps every month or every quarter?
DHS Hurricane King III
FH - H3 Neo Prov 2.1 Black
BH - Rozena 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 11:27am
Oh noooooo I thought that bad idea would just drift away and here you are ressucitating my infamous swelling thoughts Big smile
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Why not think of setting up an EJing service instead, where the player pays an initiation fee and receives a different setup to try, perhaps every month or every quarter?

Seriously though, for the EJs in us, especially in this community, this idea would be just awesome! I can't wait for someone like TT11 or other big TT supplier to enable this option. I would subscribe to it for sure. 
Do you mind changing the poll to reflect the shift in idea LOLLOLBig smileBig smile
DHS Hurricane King III
FH - H3 Neo Prov 2.1 Black
BH - Rozena 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 3:37pm
Somebody who does not care could do it for you, they’d vote top answer to support your enthusiasm. Good luck.

Édit: guess what, I had not voted, so I did it for you

Edited by fatt - 08/14/2018 at 3:39pm
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2018 at 2:40pm
That's an unusual idea I'd say. 
Sorry, for not being supportive, but Imho regluing is not that big of a thing to have a special service for that.... all you need is glue and scissors (it's not like changing car tires -doable, but it takes a lot of effort). If you are not boosting, it takes 5 min, if you are, you are used to this process as you are doing it on a regular basis. Plus you have your own blade, compared to a having ~"rental" blade. For me that would be also an important factor. Maybe not so much for others...

The idea for a subscription service for Ejunkies seems more interesting for me too... you pay a monthly fee and you can choose from a selection of blades for a month or so and then choose another one... then after a year you find your ideal setup or get totally confused and imbalanced because of constantly having to adjust your technique... :D

(there are similar car-sharing/ rental subscription services and they work...)

Edited by Simas - 08/15/2018 at 2:41pm
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic