Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A day without TT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KiwiPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A day without TT
    Posted: 02/09/2019 at 2:34pm
I have had two injuries so far since I started serious training with a (new) coach 2 years ago. First I developed tennis elbow in April 2017. I was in "denial" thinking it'd go away, but of course it got worse. It forced me to stop completely after multiple acupuncture and home therapy. After about a frustrating 2 months, I decided to just stop completely and got steroid injection. I furthered rested another month. I began strength training combined with stretches and cold/warm compress. I limit myself to 3-4 times a week only. It got better, I forgot about it.
Came summer 2018. My coach advised to try out Nitakku hurricane rubber for the FH. I myself also (without too much research) to try out a very thick Balsa blade (I thought it's slowness would help me with control). A month into that, I injured my wrist. Again, I thought it's minor and I'd be fine after a few weeks. Nope, it did not. 2 months into the injury (after acupuncture, occupational therapy and medication), I got 2 injections on my wrist. Changed my entire set up (light blade, light 1.8mm rubbers etc). I am finally back playing again.

Sorry, the moral of my story is.....enjoy playing while you can. Being healthy and having fun is so much better than injured not able to play at all. 2000? It is just a number. Don't hang up on that too much :)
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

I sprained my ankle and have been out of TT for a month almost. At this rate, I'll be going insane soon and will be transferred to a mental institution.
just train serves, or blocking
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2019 at 11:54am
I sprained my ankle and have been out of TT for a month almost. At this rate, I'll be going insane soon and will be transferred to a mental institution.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I have been out in the Piney Woods of East Texas for the last week so no chance to play TT .  I got back to San Antonio Sun afternoon and was making plans to go and play Monday.  But then it dawned on me that if I am serious about my new goal of never reaching 2000, I have to spend less time practicing.  So I decided to go for a nice kayak trip instead of going to the club.  Had a great 2.5 hr trip on the north end of Canyon Lake.

Saw osprey, bufflehead ducks, griebs, and commorants out on the lake. Followed a mixed flock of cardinals, vireos, and warblers along the shoreline only 5ft away as they foraged.  Male cardinal was a vibrant red and some of the warblers were as small as I have ever seen.  Even that close I am not knowledgable enough to identify the exact type of warbler, but there were at least 3 different kinds.  I even got to paddle through the upwelling of a natural spring that was flowing so strong that it made 4ft diameter pillows on the lake surface from 10ft or more below.  Great weather with air temp around 70 degF, overcast sky, and very light wind. Had a great time.

At least it was great until I realized what effect this was going to have on my table tennis.  Correct kayaking technique uses the same combination of leg drive and upper body rotation used for the TT Fh.  There I was doing 60 strokes per min for 50 min per hr for 2.5 hr.  Thats like hitting 4000 Fh's with one of those elastic training bands strapped on you.  By the time I get up to my goal of 6 hrs paddling my rotation is going to be so strong that the ground will tremble and the table will shake when I hit a Fh.  With that kind of power I am going to have to work very hard not to reach 2000.  I just always seem to have problems reaching my goals.

Mark - Currently highly successful at not reaching 2000.

Kayaking is very good for your mental health before it deteriorates to far and you become an EJ.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 5:46pm
I have been out in the Piney Woods of East Texas for the last week so no chance to play TT .  I got back to San Antonio Sun afternoon and was making plans to go and play Monday.  But then it dawned on me that if I am serious about my new goal of never reaching 2000, I have to spend less time practicing.  So I decided to go for a nice kayak trip instead of going to the club.  Had a great 2.5 hr trip on the north end of Canyon Lake.

Saw osprey, bufflehead ducks, griebs, and commorants out on the lake. Followed a mixed flock of cardinals, vireos, and warblers along the shoreline only 5ft away as they foraged.  Male cardinal was a vibrant red and some of the warblers were as small as I have ever seen.  Even that close I am not knowledgable enough to identify the exact type of warbler, but there were at least 3 different kinds.  I even got to paddle through the upwelling of a natural spring that was flowing so strong that it made 4ft diameter pillows on the lake surface from 10ft or more below.  Great weather with air temp around 70 degF, overcast sky, and very light wind. Had a great time.

At least it was great until I realized what effect this was going to have on my table tennis.  Correct kayaking technique uses the same combination of leg drive and upper body rotation used for the TT Fh.  There I was doing 60 strokes per min for 50 min per hr for 2.5 hr.  Thats like hitting 4000 Fh's with one of those elastic training bands strapped on you.  By the time I get up to my goal of 6 hrs paddling my rotation is going to be so strong that the ground will tremble and the table will shake when I hit a Fh.  With that kind of power I am going to have to work very hard not to reach 2000.  I just always seem to have problems reaching my goals.

Mark - Currently highly successful at not reaching 2000.

Edited by mjamja - 02/04/2019 at 6:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic