Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Triangle Table Tennis bans multiball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Is there another quality club nearby? If so, people will slowly "move" there. 
================
Raleigh has a few places to play - but with limited playing schedule and limited # of tables.  Nowhere as good as TTTC.

can you list the places?
I hear impact is really cramped unfortunately.
=============================
I moved away from Raleigh umpteen years ago. Lion's Park was one place when I was there.

You not only need to know the places, you also need to know the schedule - sometimes the place is available to play TT only 3 times a week, usually 3 hours each time. It uses city's Park & Recreation Center.

When it comes to TT in Raleigh,  Jim McQueen should know everything.  I don't know how to contact him now - some of the forum members here may know.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2019 at 5:21pm
So did they kick out michael levene?
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

So did they kick out michael levene?

no
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 10:44am
With this turmoil, may be a handful of TTTC members will leave and play in other places (Impact TTC and Raleigh area).
TTTC didn't make any money before, even with just a few members leaving, it will hurt.

The full impact will be felt over time - when membership expires and not renewed.

Edited by skip3119 - 04/21/2019 at 10:58am
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2019 at 11:10am
It will go away. People know what happened and will remember but there are not enough clubs to make the episode kill the best facility in a very wide radius. 
It would take a pattern at the same club for things to pile up and build a case against the director, what he did before this club is a another story. 
He is on his guards now and he has learned. Let's keep in mind that it's the TT endeavor of his life, no doubt he is in the process of correcting himself going through change, it's painful for everybody and we should keep that in mind, good luck to him.
ttforlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 12:50am
Sorry to necro but I can't resist, this is insane.

Brian Pace, Liang Jishan, and a father of one of the young girls that is approaching 2000 (he helps run impact table tennis) have received notice from Michael Levene that they are banned from TTT.

Sorry cape fear and Charlotte club, you aren't welcome!

If you compete with Triangle Table Tennis by running a club within a 50 mile radius of the club, or coach students within North Carolina, you may not enter our premises to hang out, practice, play or coach students. 

https://www.triangletabletennis.com/policies/
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 3:34am
Yes, it's a business, it's understandable. 

Can I go and sell my used cars on the lot of that dealership? Can I get into their office and tell their customers that I have a better deal? then go tell around town that they really are not nice when I am kicked out?

Maybe I do not understand the whole thing. Those banned people have clubs of their own or work for some and stop by sometimes to hang out at TTT? do I get it right?

Is TTT a monopoly? yes and no. With a facility that size, it's hard to compete and count as a club that can challenge them, it's Jupiter and its moons, whatever Jupiter says goes.

It is weird if they can't even come and watch tournaments though; what about competing in TTT tourneys?

For as long as the new customers keep coming in, he wins, he controls his business and limits the possibilities for foreign competing elements to steal customers: what's wrong with that from a business standpoint? I don't know/like/dislike the guy but knowing a few egos in the game, I would probably do the same.

If people start thinking of TT as a real business, maybe the game will take off for good. There is too much of a table tennis family aura polluting when commenting those episodes. For those who want the tt family aura there are the community centers. 

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 3:52am
stilltt, I respect your open-minded approach to every contentious subject, must be something essentially French LOL.  But on this I disagree.  I am a big believer that table tennis will only grow in the US when it changes from a rec center system to a for-profit club system.  And I don't know the new mgmt or care to speculate on  their thinking behind this. IDC about motivations, only effects.  This policy by TTT is a form of monopoly power and is explicitly designed to hurt the growth of table tennis in the entire state of NC.  That is abusive.  IMO USATT should withdraw TTT's club certification and not allow them to hold any  usatt sanctioned events while this misguided policy is in place.  No Cary Cup next year, or it is a club event only.  With this rule TTT is using its size and market doninance to bullly smaller clubs.  And what a bully needs is a punch in the face, in this case from usatt.

Edited by BRS - 11/28/2019 at 3:52am
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 7:51am
If I am reading the policy correctly they are banning coaches from coming to tournaments to coach their students.  Seems like that should be against USATT policy (at least against USATT interests).  They are also banning NC coaches from playing tournaments held at Triangle.  If those tournaments are USATT sanctioned and the coaches are members in good standing then that seems to be a problem also.  If the tournaments are not USATT sanctioned,  then they have right to set them up as they want (as long as not violating any existing denial of service laws)

I certainly understand not allowing any paid coaching by non-staff coaches.  I can even understand how a particular situation might require "no coaching" in order to prevent under table payments. No entry into the building for general play by outside coaches seems extreme, but understandable if "poaching" of students and players is a serious issue.  Not allowing coach or owner of another club to participate in a sanctioned tournament just seems wrong.

Anyone know if they are enforcing the no entry policy for sanctioned tournaments.

I was planning on going to TTT next spring for an extended stay and lessons.  Because of my natural tendency to "coach" when hitting with weaker players I wonder if I should avoid TTT in order to avoid trouble.

Mark
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

stilltt, I respect your open-minded approach to every contentious subject, must be something essentially French LOL.  But on this I disagree.  I am a big believer that table tennis will only grow in the US when it changes from a rec center system to a for-profit club system.  And I don't know the new mgmt or care to speculate on  their thinking behind this. IDC about motivations, only effects.  This policy by TTT is a form of monopoly power and is explicitly designed to hurt the growth of table tennis in the entire state of NC.  That is abusive.  IMO USATT should withdraw TTT's club certification and not allow them to hold any  usatt sanctioned events while this misguided policy is in place.  No Cary Cup next year, or it is a club event only.  With this rule TTT is using its size and market doninance to bullly smaller clubs.  And what a bully needs is a punch in the face, in this case from usatt.
yes, he and TTT are on the right path when it's approaching the sport: from a business perspective. Making sure competitors can't hurt business is normal.

If mjamja is right, that's what I meant when I wrote above "It is weird if they can't even come and watch tournaments though; what about competing in TTT tourneys?"

If coaches cannot come over and coach THEIR students on tournament days then it's unacceptable of course. USATT should put in place a policy protecting the players so they can indicate who is their coach when they join the tournament, like when we write our doubles partner on the form, it's just one more field to fill. That coach will have full entrance to the premises those days.

Same for joining tournaments of course. I don't think it should be legal to forbid jishan or brian to enter one of their tournaments. Without legal knowledge I am afraid they can and get away with it; private endeavor, private business, private this and that... Only USATT can do something about this to balance brutal antics, a classic in business decisions, with the interests of the tt community as a whole. 

In other words, I am with you 2.

Edited by stiltt - 11/28/2019 at 9:57am
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

Brian Pace, Liang Jishan, and a father of one of the young girls that is approaching 2000 (he helps run impact table tennis) have received notice from Michael Levene that they are banned from TTT.

If you compete with Triangle Table Tennis by running a club within a 50 mile radius of the club, or coach students within North Carolina, you may not enter our premises to hang out, practice, play or coach students. 

==============================
I believe these actions banning "Brian Pace, Liang Jishan, and a father of one of the young girls"
will hurt TTT.
Those banned players have friends/students who will also quit TTT and play elsewhere.  Plenty of places to play, though not as large, in that area and Raleigh.

Reportedly TTT has been losing money, shrinking the paying memberships will hurt it further.

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

e
I was planning on going to TTT next spring for an extended stay and lessons.  Because of my natural tendency to "coach" when hitting with weaker players I wonder if I should avoid TTT in order to avoid trouble.

Mark

Why not come to Broward instead?  It's the same size as TTT and they welcome everybody, even mountain men.

Edited by BRS - 11/28/2019 at 12:19pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Yes, it's a business, it's understandable. 

Can I go and sell my used cars on the lot of that dealership? Can I get into their office and tell their customers that I have a better deal? then go tell around town that they really are not nice when I am kicked out?

Maybe I do not understand the whole thing. Those banned people have clubs of their own or work for some and stop by sometimes to hang out at TTT? do I get it right?

Is TTT a monopoly? yes and no. With a facility that size, it's hard to compete and count as a club that can challenge them, it's Jupiter and its moons, whatever Jupiter says goes.

It is weird if they can't even come and watch tournaments though; what about competing in TTT tourneys?

For as long as the new customers keep coming in, he wins, he controls his business and limits the possibilities for foreign competing elements to steal customers: what's wrong with that from a business standpoint? I don't know/like/dislike the guy but knowing a few egos in the game, I would probably do the same.

If people start thinking of TT as a real business, maybe the game will take off for good. There is too much of a table tennis family aura polluting when commenting those episodes. For those who want the tt family aura there are the community centers. 

That's a really 'interesting' attitude, do you run a business, by any chance, or is it just some idle speculation?

Let's take it to the next logical step: McDonalds owner refusing to serve Burger King staff across the street. He'd be laughed off and likely to lose business if it became public. 

Owner can definitely do that (private enterprise and what not) - but my desire to ever visit or support TTT in any way was already close to zero and now is exactly that.
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
Ttunderthesun21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 4:44pm

What is wrong with him, he wasn't this bad when he was up here in NOVA.  Anything happen to trigger this latest episode?  I feel like something must have set this off.  

Edited by Ttunderthesun21 - 11/28/2019 at 4:46pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 9:43pm

[/QUOTE]

That's a really 'interesting' attitude, do you run a business, by any chance, or is it just some idle speculation?

Let's take it to the next logical step: McDonalds owner refusing to serve Burger King staff across the street. He'd be laughed off and likely to lose business if it became public. 

Owner can definitely do that (private enterprise and what not) - but my desire to ever visit or support TTT in any way was already close to zero and now is exactly that.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about what's going on at TTT so I won't comment on that.

If I owned a McDonalds and Burger King employees came into my store trying to talk my customers into going to Burger King I would ban them.  I would welcome them to dine at my store if they came only to eat.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2019 at 7:39am
I just clicked on their policies and scanned them pretty quickly.  It says Nov 2019 so maybe they updated them recently.  

They don't seem to be banning multiball and you can coach your students during tournaments.

Maybe they saw this thread and changed some stuff?  I didn't see anything jnsane but maybe I missed s something. I have no dog in this fight.
ttforlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I just clicked on their policies and scanned them pretty quickly.  It says Nov 2019 so maybe they updated them recently.  

They don't seem to be banning multiball and you can coach your students during tournaments.

Maybe they saw this thread and changed some stuff?  I didn't see anything jnsane but maybe I missed s something. I have no dog in this fight.

Below is what the policy said yesterday before they changed it today.

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2019 at 7:02pm

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Below is what the policy said yesterday before they changed it today.

He consulted the oracle who warned him it would be unwise to incur the wrath of Mytabletennis.net.  May we always use our powers to do good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic