Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot shoes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 12:02am
For me, walking equals heels first, running and jumping equals balls first. For table tennis, I think nearly all my movements are landing on the balls first. I do have a lot of excess bouncing motions when I play, though.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I'm talking about general table tennis, you generally don't jump upwards in TT unless you're smashing a high ball....

depends on the intensity of the moment.
if you are playing an important point heels start to go up, you become more tense and alert.
like a cat.
if you are blocking a guy who is doing some loops you would be more relaxed, maybe heels are down touching the ground.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/19/2019 at 12:15am
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 12:26am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

For me, walking equals heels first, running and jumping equals balls first. For table tennis, I think nearly all my movements are landing on the balls first. I do have a lot of excess bouncing motions when I play, though.

What about say when you're placing your weight on one leg before a FH powerloop? 

-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 12:33am
Growing up in Vietnam right after the war, we pool kids played all sports barefooted, soccer on asphalt barefooted, volleyball on cement court barefooted.  I think even now you can still find people playing TT barefooted.  Who want shoes and socks in the summer heat and no AC?
Regarding barefoot providing more feel, balance, etc.  I think it's just honeymoon effect.  Similar to when switching to a new rubber, since you pay more attention, it feels like the new rubber provide more touch, control, ...  But after a few weeks, it's just another rubber experiment.  We barefooted kids felt the same when we wore shoes.  Given a choice, I don't think any of us would choose to be barefooted.
Running barefooted or in Vibrams, ... was all the rage a few years back.  But  I don't see any of my running friends stick with it.  Basically, you have to train new muscles, suffer all kind of pains and injuries, and worst of all don't really run any faster (esp after the honeymoon period is over).  I predict you will find the same result for TT.
By the way, I like training or running barefooted not for any benefits, but probably because of a commie's joke I heard as a kid.  They said that if you captured an GI, you didn't need to lock him up.  Just took away his shoes, and he wouldn't go anywhere.  Kind of true.  I know my nephew won't step outside the house without his fancy $$$hoes.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 12:44am
what if you are in the tt session and you have to walk from table A to table B?
or go to drink some water?
this would hurt your heels, unless you walk ninja style LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/19/2019 at 12:44am
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 1:45am

What about say when you're placing your weight on one leg before a FH powerloop? 

At least during shadow strokes, usually with the weight on the left side of the balls on my left foot (left handed, so the outer side of the ball of the playing foot).

I reviewed some of my recent videos, and in general that looks to be the case. Sometimes I look flat footed when placing my weight on one leg, but I'm pretty sure the weight is still on the outer side of the balls then too. Other times it's obvious because my heel is slightly off the ground.

But as you know, even my power shots aren't really power hehehe.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 2:10am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

kids played all sports barefooted, soccer on asphalt barefooted, volleyball on cement court barefooted. 

ouch Confused

Regarding barefoot providing more feel, balance, etc.  I think it's just honeymoon effect.  Similar to when switching to a new rubber, since you pay more attention, it feels like the new rubber provide more touch, control, ...  But after a few weeks, it's just another rubber experiment.  We barefooted kids felt the same when we wore shoes.  Given a choice, I don't think any of us would choose to be barefooted.
Running barefooted or in Vibrams, ... was all the rage a few years back.  

totally agreed!
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 5:44am

Growing up in Vietnam right after the war, we pool kids played all sports barefooted, soccer on asphalt barefooted, volleyball on cement court barefooted.  I think even now you can still find people playing TT barefooted.  Who want shoes and socks in the summer heat and no AC?
Running barefooted or in Vibrams, ... was all the rage a few years back.  But  I don't see any of my running friends stick with it.  Basically, you have to train new muscles, suffer all kind of pains and injuries, and worst of all don't really run any faster (esp after the honeymoon period is over).  I predict you will find the same result for TT.
By the way, I like training or running barefooted not for any benefits, but probably because of a commie's joke I heard as a kid.  They said that if you captured an GI, you didn't need to lock him up.  Just took away his shoes, and he wouldn't go anywhere.  Kind of true.  I know my nephew won't step outside the house without his fancy $$$hoes.

Lol this is too funny!   I had similar conversation with my senior colleague, he too used to play barefoot when he was young, as a result I think even in shoes he never lands on the heels anymore... I think kids who spent a lot of time in barefoot have some advantages over pampered kids like me lol...  I had a shock the first few times I used the Vibrams, I felt that I didn't even know how to move barefoot anymore.... 
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 5:47am
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

what if you are in the tt session and you have to walk from table A to table B?
or go to drink some water?
this would hurt your heels, unless you walk ninja style LOL

Actually it's the same way you walk when you're at home (you walk barefoot at home right?)
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 5:50am
I admit my enthusiasm levels are probably a bit high now, but what I wrote is an honest review of what I felt and experienced switching to Vibrams for general walking and also TT, read it with a grain of salt!
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 5:56am
I think barefoot running should be used to fix foot striking. Just like going on a plant-based diet to cleanse the body for a few months. I don't know how long the effects of barefoot running will last, but even if it's only for a certain time, one can occasionally do it to keep proper running form.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I think barefoot running should be used to fix foot striking. Just like going on a plant-based diet to cleanse the body for a few months. I don't know how long the effects of barefoot running will last, but even if it's only for a certain time, one can occasionally do it to keep proper running form.

Idk I think our monkey brains are inherently lazy, once you remove the stimulus we will regress back to heel striking...
LOL

-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 6:22am
Actually now thinking about it, I move differently even in shoes now, it's a much more gentle and silent walk (I used to land harder)...
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 6:45am

At least during shadow strokes, usually with the weight on the left side of the balls on my left foot (left handed, so the outer side of the ball of the playing foot).

I reviewed some of my recent videos, and in general that looks to be the case. Sometimes I look flat footed when placing my weight on one leg, but I'm pretty sure the weight is still on the outer side of the balls then too. Other times it's obvious because my heel is slightly off the ground.

But as you know, even my power shots aren't really power hehehe.
Wow you have quite a different mechanism than mine then...when I'm in shoes I place weight on the entire foot when preparing for a FH powerloop, then rotate and lift my heel. Especially moving hard to the deep FH I will land heavily on the right foot. 

With the Vibrams I still do that except I don't place much pressure on the heel at all.

Edited by blahness - 04/19/2019 at 6:47am
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2019 at 11:42am
Hmm, yeah. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. I always feel like I lack power and the way I'm doing it now may not really be utilizing power from the ground.

My little toe on both feet are like deformed from table tennis hehe. Probably from leaning on the outer sides of my feet, which pushes it against the inside of my shoe, when weight transferring.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 1:59am
Tried on the Vibram V-train with gum rubber on the bottom (the Golds Gym version) and it is just simply amazing! The grip was so much more solid than the KSO Evo (which I think was more for outdoor activities)... Also there's slightly more padding but still retained a very barefoot feel. The increased grip was actually quite crucial because I feel I don't need to grip the floor so hard with the toes anymore, it was a lot easier to move with the increased security. 

-------

Stiga Clipper CR

silverneedle View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverneedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 5:27pm
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but for years ive been using feiyu top one brand trainers. Minimal shoes without the massive price of the likes of merrel and vibram. Yet they do protect your toes quite well. They wear out pretty quickly though but by the time they do they have been sweated in so much its time to bin them anyway. Watch out for fake feiyu only the top one branded ones are the real deal in my experience these have a green triangle on the sole and come wrapped in paper. I buy them in bulk and use them for work and everyday life too.
Blade - donic wc89 persson st
FH - palio AK47 blue
BH - 61 second lst 1.8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 5:43pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverneedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 5:57pm
I tried the feiyu ones with the red spot on the sole. Gave them straight to charity. The sole is built up with padding making the foot higher off the floor and a very unstable feeling as well as heavier a wierd over rounded sole and ill fitting. Go for top one green triangle only if properly trying them IMHO.

Edited by silverneedle - 04/26/2019 at 5:59pm
FH - palio AK47 blue
BH - 61 second lst 1.8
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverneedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 7:11pm
Also ask an engineer what they think supporting an arch from bellow will do. Barefoot shoes make sense. Another theory i heard was that padded shoes lead to much harder foot strikes, as the body is slamming the foot down in order to find a stable point to push off from (when running).
Ive been wearing barefoot type shoes for over 7 years walking all day in full time jobs and my arches have never looked higher. Arch support is a bad idea.
FH - palio AK47 blue
BH - 61 second lst 1.8
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 8:16pm
Another problem I have with vibram is after awhile they stink no matter what deodorant sprays I tried.  Socks would help, but at $12 a pair (this was 5, 6 years ago not sure about now), I would rather be barefooted.  Unfortunately, some folks have a habit of spit or blow nose on the floor and I don't want to step on these stuffs! 
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 8:27pm

Another problem I have with vibram is after awhile they stink no matter what deodorant sprays I tried.  Socks would help, but at $12 a pair (this was 5, 6 years ago not sure about now), I would rather be barefooted.  Unfortunately, some folks have a habit of spit or blow nose on the floor and I don't want to step on these stuffs! 

I now wash them immediately after I wear them... Also bought some cheap toe socks from Amazon!
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2019 at 3:36pm
I really like the New Balance Minimus line for table tennis. Super comfy and very low profile while still providing some measure of support.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2019 at 4:10am
It's been quite a lot of sessions with the Vibrams.

I think the toe socks help a lot in terms of preventing blisters, but on the V train they work horribly because it adds another layer between your feet and the ground. 

In terms of setup, basically I'm back to the original cheaper KSO Evo with socks, this combo is the best (really cheap too, I got it for $70)... V train has to be used without socks, so you'll have to wash it immediately after wearing it which is a pain....

I think my feet shape is actually changing significantly since I started using the Vibrams. The arches are quite a bit higher, and the veins have really started to come out along with muscles in various parts (my feet used to be smooth, now they're like dinosaur feet lol! It's looking more and more like a second pair of hands rather than immobile feet). 

I'm trying to limit my time to twice a week and just using normal shoes for normal activities as I think my feet are still not that strong yet, still have sore feet after using them...
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2019 at 4:12am
Btw I read in some forums that Harimoto is down with a heel injury, probably related to him stomping hard on his heels all the time....

Maybe he should try the Vibrams too to correct this issue lol....
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic