Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Long 5X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mark20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane Long 5X
    Posted: 03/29/2019 at 12:06am
DHS made a newer version of HL5, HL5X. Thicker than the original version.

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2019 at 8:28am
Has anyone used this new version?

Would love to read a gameplay comparison between the HL5 and HL5x.
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2019 at 12:50am
I just bought the HL5x but only played with it three 1 hr training sessions.  I have only hit with the original HL5 a few times but with slowish chinese rubbers (not H3) so I cannot really give a comparison. 

Below are some thoughts with small comparison to the Viscaria.  FH vega pro  BH T05 on both blades.

The center ply is thicker (than original) and they made the outer two wood plies thinner.  Mine is slightly over 6mm.  It's still technically "inner carbon" but now that carbon layer is much closer to the surface.  

My Viscaria is 87g --> the HL5x is 90g and has the sound and hitting feeling of wood on normal warm up drives or just bounce test.  Definitely stiffer than the VIS and in most ways feels harder too.  VIS still has that muted feel but the vibrations/feedback are more pronounced than HL5x .  The HL5x is not very 'flexy'.

This is marketed as the update for the 40+ ball...which is probably mumbo jumbo marketing, but with gameplay changing to more close to the table, and counter looping off the bounce, it seems like going to slightly stiffer blades or harder sponged rubbers is the trend.

A passive bounce test (vs VIS) does not make it seem this is very bouncy, however once you put in any type of 'power' you start to see the catapult affect.  This blade wants to launch the ball.  So it is quite a fast blade.  Also with bounce test the 'sweet spot' of the HL5x appears a bit larger.  Even in play, there are times when i know i hit it towards to top but is it confusing because it still feels like i hit the ball clean.

Regular FH drives it is still controllable, but less control than the Viscaria.  That bounciness you can feel so you have to be very confident and direct with your drives. You can feel that the blade just wants to "spin".   Or maybe it can be described as a higher launch angle than the VIS.  So I think it's not something you would want to flat hit consistently.  

As you open up on loops, you are rewarded with lots of spin and pace on the ball.  That bounciness could be considered as dwell time...because with a normal full swing brush loop (engaging the sponge) you get enough dwell and then you get a bit of a catapult with a huge amount of pace and spin.  It never feels uncontrollable, unless you actually try to slow down your speed.  You really need to take full strokes every time.

The overall positive for this blade is it has "put-away" power.  I'm not sure if it has to do with the 90g weight (compared to 87g  VIS) but it is the first time I felt consistent winners and consistent 'forcing' errors with the same strokes.  (but i have never used super fast rubbers or boosted before so perhaps boosting would give you a similar effect)

Counter looping close to the table is great probably due to the stiffness and away from the table also extremely fast and you can put lots of spin.  Hitting thinly or brush looping with sponge are quite easy.

Short game is very nice, easy to push.  BH flicks needed an adjustment since it is stiffer but no problem to get lots of spin.  The adjustment is going from very spinny arcing flicks vs low trajectory fast flicks.  Part of this is also adjusting to the extra 3 grams of weight.

Active blocking on both sides is good but you really have to be more active with the blocks or the ball could launch.  But the stiffness/weight of the blade make it easy to 'kill' spin if you are blocking actively or even doing chops / chop blocks

All of the positives turn negative if you are too passive or like to play a simple 'control' game.  You really need to loop everything, but you are rewarded for doing so. 
polbotinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polbotinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2019 at 4:14am
Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

I
just bought the HL5x but only played with it three 1 hr training sessions.  I have only hit with the original HL5 a few times but with
slowish chinese rubbers (not H3) so I cannot really give a
comparison. <font size="2" face="Verdana"><div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">

<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Below
are some thoughts with small comparison to the Viscaria.  FH vega pro  BH T05 on both blades.

The center ply is thicker (than original) and they made the outer two wood plies thinner.  Mine is slightly over 6mm.  It's still technically "inner
carbon" but now that carbon layer is much closer to the surface.  

My Viscaria is 87g --> the HL5x is 90g and has the sound
and hitting feeling of wood on normal warm up drives or just bounce test. 
Definitely stiffer than the VIS and in most ways feels harder too.  VIS still
has that muted feel but the vibrations/feedback are more pronounced than HL5x .  The HL5x is not very 'flexy'.

<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">

<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">This
is marketed as the update for the 40+ ball...which is probably mumbo jumbo
marketing, but with gameplay changing to more close to the table, and counter looping off the bounce, it seems like going to
slightly stiffer blades or harder sponged rubbers is the trend.
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">

<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">A
passive bounce test (vs VIS) does not make it seem this is very bouncy, however
once you put in any type of 'power' you start to see the catapult affect.  This
blade wants to launch the ball.  So it is quite a fast blade.  Also with bounce test the 'sweet spot' of the HL5x appears a bit larger.  Even in play, there are times when i know i hit it towards to top but is it confusing because it still feels like i hit the ball clean.
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Regular FH drives it is still controllable, but less control than the Viscaria.  That bounciness you can feel so you have to be very confident and direct with your drives. You can feel that the blade just wants to "spin".   Or maybe it can be described as a higher launch angle than the VIS.  So I think it's not something you would want to flat hit consistently.  <div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">As
you open up on loops, you are rewarded with lots of spin and pace on the ball.  That bounciness could be considered as dwell time...because with a normal full swing brush loop (engaging the sponge) you get enough dwell and then you get a bit of a catapult with a huge amount of pace and spin.  It never feels uncontrollable, unless you actually try to slow down your speed.  You really need to take full strokes every time.<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">The overall positive for this blade is it has "put-away" power.  I'm not sure if it has to do with the 90g weight (compared to 87g  VIS) but it is the first time I felt consistent winners and consistent 'forcing' errors with the same strokes.  (but i have never used super fast rubbers or boosted before so perhaps boosting would give you a similar effect)<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Counter looping close to the table is great probably due to the stiffness and away from the table also extremely fast and you can put lots of spin.  Hitting thinly or brush looping with sponge are quite easy.<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Short game is very nice, easy to push.  BH flicks needed an adjustment since it is stiffer but no problem to get lots of spin.  The adjustment is going from very spinny arcing flicks vs low trajectory fast flicks.  Part of this is also adjusting to the extra 3 grams of weight.<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Active blocking on both sides is good but you really have to be more active with the blocks or the ball could launch.  But the stiffness/weight of the blade make it easy to 'kill' spin if you are blocking actively or even doing chops / chop blocks<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">All of the positives turn negative if you are too passive or like to play a simple 'control' game.  You really need to loop everything, but you are rewarded for doing so. 

Funny I had the very same experience with DHS PG-5X (Ma Long 5X clone) which is 5 times cheaper
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2019 at 10:30am
Thanks, wish I had known.   Local store here doesn't have a lot of DHS blades unfortunately.

For that price I might try to look online to see if a store has a 92-93g version to see if it has the same or better feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic