Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shadow Practice Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadow Practice Problems
    Posted: 04/10/2019 at 1:46pm
I am stuck in Fort Davis, Tx (Davis Mountains) for 2 extra days due to the storm that is moving across the US.  Forecast is for 50mph wind with gusts to 75mph.

I was going to try some footwork shadow practice, but everytime I get both feet off the ground the wind blows me across the campsite.  If I just do stroke practice I still have issues.  Depending on which way I stand, either I can not  backswing or I can not swing forward.  If I wear my wide brimmed hat I am afraid I will take off like the "flying nun" (very old TV show about a nun whose wing shaped habit allowed her to fly in high winds).  I know you guys want more shadowing videos, but I can not find stakes strong enough to hold the tripod in place.  It might even be too windy for outdoor TTX.

Mark -  Looking forward to getting to Phoenix for some TT Sat  or Sun if the weather allows me to get on the road again.

Edited by mjamja - 04/10/2019 at 1:47pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 2:13pm
Better get that Casita to a wind protected place ASAP or you be Gone with the Wind!
Gambler Hinoki Vector blade; Double inverted. Or some LPs.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 5:58pm
the wind will provide good resistance to build up your strength. Just shadow against the wind and you'll get strong in no time.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 7:07pm

I would have the wind hit my non-playing left side (right handed player) to create a vortex with almost no wind on the side of my playing arm, then only the end of the back swing and the forearm snap in the swing require an effort to fight the wind, the rest of the stroke is protected from or helped by the wind. Note that when you jump clockwise in the back swing, your arm will need additional force to fight the wind all the way to its end as said above but you'll get paid back right away as the wind will now support the beginning of your swing and offer a bit of free momentum. By the same token, you will force the end of the swing but you'll get a bit of free momentum as the recovery starts.
Another note is that when transferring weight to the playing foot in the back swing, the winds helps to load more energy there and will make it harder to push from that leg and rotate counter clockwise in the swing, another detail enhancing training, both in the back swing to transfer more weight and the swing itself.

It's a good method to develop a fh where the body is in charge and the arm swings free in a protected environment. I have a friend who has access to various wind tunnels for airplane development so we could try when you come in Seattle but only if by then you have reached a confidence level high enough in wind training because there is no take 2 there! If that does not work, we could just buy tickets to the Vertical Wind Tunnel Parachute Training and we'll do our best to lie horizontal on our left side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic