Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finger blisters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finger blisters
    Posted: 05/12/2019 at 7:56pm
Anyone experienced blisters due to table tennis, and how to solve that?
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
ericd937 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 9:47pm
Change your grip or sand your blade I guess. I've never had a blister on my hand from playing table tennis, but my friend in Las Vegas has that problem. He plays "SeeMiller Grip."  He gets them frequently and often limits his play time because of this problem. He was actually trying to transition to shakehand grip and got frustrated with his backhand. He hasn't played in awhile. 
Current Setup:
Sittiho Hinoki ALC, T80(max), Baracuda(max)
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: Bad Day ~ 1900 Good Day ~ 2100 (In Asia since 2015, no USATT events here)
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Change your grip or sand your blade I guess. I've never had a blister on my hand from playing table tennis, but my friend in Las Vegas has that problem. He plays "SeeMiller Grip."  He gets them frequently and often limits his play time because of this problem. He was actually trying to transition to shakehand grip and got frustrated with his backhand. He hasn't played in awhile. 

Haha I play standard shakehand... I noticed this problem after I started hitting a lot harder (I had a complete technique change the last two months)...

Would definitely not wanna change my grip as it's the 9th circle of table tennis hell! 

Sanding sounds like a good option but wouldn't that also decrease the grip on the handle?

-------

Stiga Clipper CR

mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 11:26pm
Lots of people I know sand the handle to fit their hand better. Personally I haven't.

Also, nearly all my students and I had blisters on our hands, usually on the top of the palm of the hand, a little under the pointer and middle finger. I think gripping too hard or a bad grip can cause them. That said, all of them, including me, had the blisters turn into calluses. For me, the calluses were pretty big for the first few years of play. Nowadays I don't have any blisters or calluses.

For me, I think my grip improved. My grip quite visibly changed in my hand between forehand and backhand in my earlier years. I also gripped way too tightly. I think beginners do this too, which is why many of my more serious students had blisters/calluses. But yeah, I haven't had any in like 2 years or more now.

If you're suddenly hitting a lot harder, you might be gripping a lot harder than you're used to. So maybe you just need to develop some tougher skin in the area.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2019 at 11:39pm
Where exactly are you getting blisters?
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Where exactly are you getting blisters?

First joint on the middle finger, and some on the top of the palm beneath the middle and ring finger....ConfusedConfused
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 12:14am
I was going to post this earlier, but because it's a little hard to describe I didn't. But I'll try.

I think people get blisters there because the flap of meat on your palm right below that first finger joint gets sandwiched between your paddle and your finger a little. If you have your palm facing you, then move just your finger towards you, you'll see that bit of meat there bunch up a little. Not sure if this makes sense.

But yeah, I felt that was a big contributing factor for my blisters/calluses there. Eventually they disappeared because now the way I gold the racket doesn't get the meat/skin there bunched up and sandwiched up.

One possibility is also that I switched from applying most of my finger force from the bottom (3rd, 4th and 5th fingers) to the thumb and index finger only (a more spin approach over speed). If you're applying force onto the last 3 fingers, it's more likely to get the meat there sandwiched as well. This is used for like smash/speed shots. Maybe you have a tendency to apply pressure there to increase power.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 3:18am
Do you press you side 9f the thumb too tightky against the rubber? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 5:15am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I was going to post this earlier, but because it's a little hard to describe I didn't. But I'll try.

I think people get blisters there because the flap of meat on your palm right below that first finger joint gets sandwiched between your paddle and your finger a little. If you have your palm facing you, then move just your finger towards you, you'll see that bit of meat there bunch up a little. Not sure if this makes sense.

But yeah, I felt that was a big contributing factor for my blisters/calluses there. Eventually they disappeared because now the way I gold the racket doesn't get the meat/skin there bunched up and sandwiched up.

One possibility is also that I switched from applying most of my finger force from the bottom (3rd, 4th and 5th fingers) to the thumb and index finger only (a more spin approach over speed). If you're applying force onto the last 3 fingers, it's more likely to get the meat there sandwiched as well. This is used for like smash/speed shots. Maybe you have a tendency to apply pressure there to increase power.

Yeah I think when I hit a powerful shot I grip the bat much harder with my 3rd,4th and 5th fingers. Also during the FH I press with my middle finger joint on the curved side of the blade. Of course during FH the index finger assists pronation, during BH the thumb assists supination
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 5:28am
not sure if that's the permanent solution, but maybe you should try to plaster those places you are having blisters? 

Or there are some special anti blister sticks to lubricate the places (maybe Vaseline should do the job too..). It shouldn't effect the overall grip of the racket, as the  blisters you are having are near the middle fingers..

also as mentioned maybe the handle is too rough in some places and sanding would help. I've sanded the wings of my blade when I bought it as the edges were too sharp (but that's a more common problem...)...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic