Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suitable setup for 11 years old new starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sinek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitable setup for 11 years old new starter
    Posted: 05/19/2019 at 7:26pm
Hello all, 
I am wondering whether a carbon and/or a hinoki out ply blade is any good or any bad for a child, 10-12 years old? 

Currently she is using a backup blade of mine, Joola Rossi Emotion, 77-78gr., which has both a thin hinoki and a carbon ply. 
Do you think that any blade that is not rocket fast is good for starting out for this sport, or do I have to make some more clever! setup for those kind of players, let's say all wood, in order to help them develop more feeling with the ball? 

Any advice and discussion is well appriciated already. 
Thank you folks...
Main:
   Blade: BTY M Maze AN
   FH:    Tenergy 05
   BH:    Fastarc G-1

Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2019 at 7:41pm
A rubber like Butterfly Rozena on the Rossi Emotion will be fine

Although I would give her a Primorac or something, and then upgrade to an IF ALC/Freitas when the time comes (if you have the money)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2019 at 9:40pm
I think for the new 40+ ball, either Tibhar Samsonov Alpha (blue handle) or Samsonov Alpha SGS (sponge grip system) are suitable for beginners.  It is around All+/Off- but it can be Off if you use really fast rubbers.

It is very balanced for all kind of strokes:  slow strokes (push, block, etc) and hard strokes (loop and smash).

Good control, light weight (~80-85 grams), and cheap!!!

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 3:57am
the lighter blades(shakehand) are for players(possibly older) looking to avoid hurting their wrists. imo

Edited by bars - 06/06/2019 at 4:00am
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 4:10am
What I am noticing is this-whatever you give to little kids, with a proper coaching and motivation they advance very very fast. Still ,I wouldn't suggest heavy and hard set up

Edited by Kolev - 06/06/2019 at 4:11am
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 4:14am
get her a blade with a small handle and in the all+/off- range. for rubbers i would pick something like hexer duro in 1.9 or vega intro in 2.0.
Sinek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 9:15pm
Thanks for further replies. I also think that a proper coaching would do just fine rather than bothering for a setup. 

Blade, rossi emotion I gave, is relatively lightweight, like 75-80 gr. range. Also its being light would do the trick not to have an excessive off or off+ range of speed. 

I was just overthinking a little bit of it I guess, about hinoki outer ply for example. Because I don't have a detailed knowladge about hinoki plys. My first thought was like whether it is good or bad for the feeling; yet again I also think that a good teaching will probably overcome any obstacle, if any, for her/him progress.
As for the rubber choice, I am thinking of having a cheap 729 rubber on FH; and any of, maybe a bit softer feeling, rubber for BH would be just enough, max thickness or 1.9-2.0mm.
Main:
   Blade: BTY M Maze AN
   FH:    Tenergy 05
   BH:    Fastarc G-1

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

A rubber like Butterfly Rozena on the Rossi Emotion will be fine

Although I would give her a Primorac or something, and then upgrade to an IF ALC/Freitas when the time comes (if you have the money)

Rozena for beginner? you must kidding
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 4:22am
from experience being a part time coach for kids for over 10 years i can say i think to fast equipment limit the developement. 

The ones with slower equipment, But with good grip i think have a higher possible to become a good player. 

Slower equipment help them to learn to Do the proper strokes, to create power and spin and keep the ball on the table. 

I think you should be careful listening to much on advice from users with No experience coaching kids regarding this question. 
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 3:39pm
The problem I see with kids are usually not too slow equipment... it is (more often than not) bad technique... If you have a good blade and spinny rubbers... you’re good to go. 

If the player is extremly good and has all the basics down. Then maybe rozena. I would say just about any rubber with good spin and not blazingly fast. We usually let the developing players play with rubbers like 729 fx.

PS: don’t think too much about weight... the main issue I see with heavy blades is that they tend to be stiff and fast. (Harder to generate good spin)

Edited by henningf - 06/07/2019 at 3:41pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 11:51pm
If you already have the blade, I wouldn't buy another. Just stick with that one unless there is some particular point that comes out and you feel another blade would be more suitable for that player. I would probably start the player out with non-tensor rubbers or at least tensors without a huge catapult. Something like Xiom Vega Musa or even Vega Intro. Nothing too hard and nothing too soft. Just middle of the road utility rubbers. I wouldn't start the player with 729 rubber or tacky rubber unless you plan on taking that player down the Hurricane route. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic