Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Hong Kong Open June 04-09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Facepalm Facepalm wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

the crowd is very decent in numbers, bleachers are well filled all around. not too bad given the absence of ML and FZD , DN and LSW.

The sections at either end of the court are actually mostly empty. It only looks full because of the alternating colours on the seats, where the dark coloured seats next to the yellow ones look like they're filled when you can't see clearly in the shadows. 

I get the feeling that attendance actually lower than last year. I was in the stadium on the Saturday night when there were still four tables being played simultaneously, and the sections which are now at either end of the court were much fuller. This is despite the attending players being much higher calibre than last year. 

If I had to guess why, it would probably be because the tournament is on the weekend of Dragon Boat Festival (which made Friday a public holiday). Additionally, there is a much stronger anti-Chinese sentiment this year due to the timing with the 30th anniversary of July 4, as well as the proposed extradition laws. Anti-Chinese sentiment will definitely affect any tournament where the CNT send their big guns like LGY, LJK, ZY and can be expected to make up much of the later stages of the draw. 

I have videos from the Hong Kong Open 2018. Attendance is actually comparable this year. BTW, it's not anti-Chinese sentiment, but rather anti-mainland sentiment. Nonetheless, there's real anti-Chinese sentiment in Australia. Whatever the case, it doesn't really have anything to do with June 4th or extradition law. Those against it would have taken it to the street than sitting in a stadium watching China steal the show.

Edited by zeio - 06/09/2019 at 4:40am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:50am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Sure didn't know that Wang Yidi is that good.
Very impressive in the first game.
=====================
Update:  WYD won the 2nd game also.
             Ito Mima is in trouble.

Update2: WYD won the 3rd game easily.
              Ito beat so many CNT top female players.  I just didn't know WYD is that good.

Update 3:  WYD won the 4th game easily.

Never knew a day like this can happen to ITO Mima.
----------------------------------------------------------
I recall when ITO was beating Zhu Yuling, Zhu was beaten so bad - her face showed that she didn't know what to do.  Zhu probably didn't even know where she was.  

ITO has beaten so many CNT top players (DN, LSW, WMY, ZYL) never thought a day like this can happen.

that defeat cost ZYL a spot in the WCT....Ito does not have the same problem because there is less competition for her
accoustic carbon inner,fastarc G1 max, feint soft 1,5mm
VladCeller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:55am
Yes .... In any case, for a year or two Ito in the top three of the Japanese team is undoubtedly .....
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:57am
harimoto better not follow mj's route, those soft fh opening loops are not working...what's next? lobbing? COME ON KID, PLAY YOUR GAME!

edit: that's more like it. well done! YO!!! may the best win. 1-1.stream is very stable btw

edit: very nice 3rd game, th unloads now and is all pumped up. as usual, lgy's quick fh gets behind when pressure rises. he needs to fix that.

edit: stream interrupted in the 1st point of the 4th game.

edit: had to reload. 2-2, lgy is strong, we saw happening what used to be the cause of meltdowns, now he recovers in no time, a real pro, the dima match might have been a wake up call for his self control.

Edited by stiltt - 06/09/2019 at 5:23am
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:57am
LGY is on fire, won the first game by a wide margin, 11-3.
Oops, HT came back to win the 2nd game.
Now, game-wise:  1-1
HT took the 3rd game:  1-2  (HT is ahead)
Game-wise:  2-2
Game-wise:  3-2 (LGY is ahead)

LGY won the match:  4-2.

Edited by skip3119 - 06/09/2019 at 5:43am
patwhall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patwhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 5:49am
LGY had a great start then Harimoto changed his game plan and LGY almost choked it. IMO, LGY is still comparatively weak mentally although game like this one will boost his confidence.
DHS W997, H3 BS, FX-P
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 5:59am
LGY's ITTF ranking points will be increased by 435, ending at 14835 - higher than FZD.
(I think ML, FZD and XX are better players than LGY.)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 6:48am

I recall when ITO was beating Zhu Yuling, Zhu was beaten so bad - her face showed that she didn't know what to do.  Zhu probably didn't even know where she was.  

ITO has beaten so many CNT top players (DN, LSW, WMY, ZYL) never thought a day like this can happen.
==============================

I am still amazed by how soundly that Wang Yidi has beaten Ito Mima, in light of Ito's recent performance against several top Chinese female players.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 7:00am
Ugh, just woke up and saw the score for IM vs. WYD.  Looks like WYD got her revenge. Will watch on YT later. 

Other than whoever gets knocked out of a seeded position, everyone else will be glad when SYS and WYD become seeded players. If you are in the preliminary rounds you don't want to see either in your group because that almost guarantees you'll be knocked out. And if you're seeded, you cross your fingers you don't draw them in your 1st round....  especially SYS. I don't think even CM wants to see SYS in the 1st round.

Oh well, onto Japan it is.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 7:07am

harimoto better not follow mj's route, those soft fh opening loops are not working...what's next? lobbing? COME ON KID, PLAY YOUR GAME!

edit: that's more like it. well done! YO!!! may the best win. 1-1.stream is very stable btw

edit: very nice 3rd game, th unloads now and is all pumped up. as usual, lgy's quick fh gets behind when pressure rises. he needs to fix that.

edit: stream interrupted in the 1st point of the 4th game.

edit: had to reload. 2-2, lgy is strong, we saw happening what used to be the cause of meltdowns, now he recovers in no time, a real pro, the dima match might have been a wake up call for his self control.

Yeah I thought Harimoto's game changed for the worse when he started focusing on spin for his opening loops and focusing on his weaker FH receive. But I guess he definitely needs to train them up to eliminate that weakness from his game to become a better player ultimately. Short term pain for long term gain!
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
VladCeller View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Ugh, just woke up and saw the score for IM vs. WYD.  Looks like WYD got her revenge. Will watch on YT later. 

Other than whoever gets knocked out of a seeded position, everyone else will be glad when SYS and WYD become seeded players. If you are in the preliminary rounds you don't want to see either in your group because that almost guarantees you'll be knocked out. And if you're seeded, you cross your fingers you don't draw them in your 1st round....  especially SYS. I don't think even CM wants to see SYS in the 1st round.

It is quite logical ... The probability of Wang Yidi and Yingsha entering the top 16 ITTF is quite high by the fall of this year ....
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 7:41am
Wang Yidi must have practiced her serves, with some kind of variation, that made Ito's serve-attacks very difficult.  Noticed that Wang got many points from her serves - the landing rate of Ito's attacks were very poor.
Do you see any other factors (on WYD's part or on Ito's part) that caused Ito's very poor performance?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 7:44am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

=====================
That makes sense, as SYS was the winner of 2017 Japan Open.  She is a strong player.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 10:02am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

I have videos from the Hong Kong Open 2018. Attendance is actually comparable this year. BTW, it's not anti-Chinese sentiment, but rather anti-mainland sentiment. Nonetheless, there's real anti-Chinese sentiment in Australia. Whatever the case, it doesn't really have anything to do with June 4th or extradition law. Those against it would have taken it to the street than sitting in a stadium watching China steal the show.
Actually, there was an "eager" extradition law protest in HK today.  I was surprised to see that many people came to the game. They must paid the ticket themselves LOLLOLLOL

Anyway, I thought HT would won after he was up 2:1 EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 10:06am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Facepalm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Facepalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 10:20am

Originally posted by Facepalm Facepalm wrote:

the crowd is very decent in numbers, bleachers are well filled all around. not too bad given the absence of ML and FZD , DN and LSW.

The sections at either end of the court are actually mostly empty. It only looks full because of the alternating colours on the seats, where the dark coloured seats next to the yellow ones look like they're filled when you can't see clearly in the shadows. 

I get the feeling that attendance actually lower than last year. I was in the stadium on the Saturday night when there were still four tables being played simultaneously, and the sections which are now at either end of the court were much fuller. This is despite the attending players being much higher calibre than last year. 

If I had to guess why, it would probably be because the tournament is on the weekend of Dragon Boat Festival (which made Friday a public holiday). Additionally, there is a much stronger anti-Chinese sentiment this year due to the timing with the 30th anniversary of June 4, as well as the proposed extradition laws. Anti-Chinese sentiment will definitely affect any tournament where the CNT send their big guns like LGY, LJK, ZY and can be expected to make up much of the later stages of the draw. 

Looks like turnout for the tournament is low every year in that case LOL

And yes, I should have been clearer in saying that it was sentiment against the mainland - a lot who aren't familiar with the area might not realise the difference. There were demonstrations in Melbourne too!

Edited by Facepalm - 06/09/2019 at 10:20am
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 11:33am

Wang Yidi must have practiced her serves, with some kind of variation, that made Ito's serve-attacks very difficult.  Noticed that Wang got many points from her serves - the landing rate of Ito's attacks were very poor.
Do you see any other factors (on WYD's part or on Ito's part) that caused Ito's very poor performance?
rewatching the ITO vs DN, ITO did not miss her attack that much, and ITO could have a rally with DN. In this match, ITO could not defend WYD attack at all.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 11:52am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

I take the Chinese players over the Japanese players anytime. My bold prediction: LGY 4-2 HT; WYD 4-3 IM. 
I stand corrected, WYD 4-0 IMTongue. Otherwise right on the money.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is really annoying to think that we need to mute the TV to watch TT matches for several more years.

I am surprised that no one in the audience yells something bad against Harimoto even in the China Open. 

I like the fervor Harimoto brings to the sport

also, I think the mic on the table makes his cho-ing louder than what the audience hears
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is really annoying to think that we need to mute the TV to watch TT matches for several more years.

I am surprised that no one in the audience yells something bad against Harimoto even in the China Open. 
Reading post regarding this for the next few years does it for me. 

Edited by mhnh007 - 06/09/2019 at 12:41pm
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 12:48pm
Actually the best way to un-cho HT is beating the crap out of him.
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 3:34pm

I take the Chinese players over the Japanese players anytime. My bold prediction: LGY 4-2 HT; WYD 4-3 IM. 
I stand corrected, WYD 4-0 IMTongue. Otherwise right on the money.
good job
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 3:43pm

Oh Yeah, Gaoyuan says he wanna play Tomokazu again next week in Japan  , TT Gods please grant us this simple and humble request .
How many eyes have seen their dreams
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

also, I think the mic on the table makes his cho-ing louder than what the audience hears
I think this is right. Adam Bobrow actually said today that the audience seems to like the cho-ing despite what you would think from reading internet comments.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2019 at 6:12pm
that bh across kill loop at 21m0s is incredible, look at the wrist action in the slomo:

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2019 at 3:57am

Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic