Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

boosting sponge, NO topsheet stretch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boosting sponge, NO topsheet stretch
    Posted: 06/06/2019 at 11:46am
Some rubbers have a tender topsheet that have a better slingshot effect after the ball grabs it and locally stretches it at point of impact. If booster stretches both sponge and topsheet in length and width, that slingshot effect of the topsheet is diminished and a major feature of the rubber is lost.

I do not remember the right answers to that question:

What happens if we lightly boost with long acting booster and glue the rubber on the blade right away, before the booster inflates the sponge? the idea is to not stretch the rubber's width and length, only the thickness of the sponge.

I want the softness of the topsheet to remain the same, I do not want to topsheet to be stretched; I only want the sponge to be thicker and easier to compress while retaining the more lively bounce back specific to boosted rubbers and that is offering the so desired additional spin and control.

-----------

Assuming the idea is valid and worth digging, there are 2 things to pay attention to:

1) if the booster is not applied everywhere the same, can bubbles happen?

2) better apply to 1.9mm 2.0mm rubbers only: the method may thicken the sponge past the rubber total 4mm rule.

Edited by stiltt - 06/06/2019 at 12:19pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Some rubbers have a tender topsheet that have a better slingshot effect after the ball grabs it and locally stretches it at point of impact. If booster stretches both sponge and topsheet in length and width, that slingshot effect of the topsheet is diminished and a major feature of the rubber is lost. see

I do not remember the right answers to that question:

What happens if we lightly boost with long acting booster and glue the rubber on the blade right away, before the booster inflates the sponge? the idea is to not stretch the rubber's width and length, only the thickness of the sponge.

I want the softness of the topsheet to remain the same, I do not want to topsheet to be stretched; I only want the sponge to be thicker and easier to compress while retaining the more lively bounce back specific to boosted rubbers and that is offering the so desired additional spin and control.

-----------

Assuming the idea is valid and worth digging, there are 2 things to pay attention to:

1) if the booster is not applied everywhere the same, bubbles might happen.

2) better apply to 1.9mm 2.0mm rubbers only: the method may thicken the sponge past the rubber total 4mm rule.

Until the oil sinks in, how could you glue it on?
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 11:56am
If it was possible, would it offer interesting results in play? If yes, I am sure we can find answers to your question, better validate first before tinkering though.

chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2019 at 10:58pm

If it was possible, would it offer interesting results in play? If yes, I am sure we can find answers to your question, better validate first before tinkering though.

Yes.
There is one way: use a special water based glue. Apply thick layer or 3 normal layers on sponge.
Then use a special booster liquid.
Sorry but 2 "special" things are not on the market. I make wbg and booster for myself, they works great together: quick absorption, strong enough to glue immediately after boosting.
Booster liquid is stored on glue layer only, then slowly releases to sponge for 1-2 month. Speed effect lasts 2-3 months without softening or bubbled topsheet.
Sorry but Falco Long doesn't work that way. You might try FineZip for that technic with Nittaku Speed Axel (available within USA continent)
VKMO - H3 - Curl P1
my feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55764&KW=chop4ever&title=feedback-chop4ever
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 6:12am
I have noticed that for the first layer, assuming it's a thin to at most normal amounts, a lot of sponges are thirsty enough to soak it up in 20-30 minutes but it doesn't start to dome until maybe 40-60 minutes. I think you could apply that layer and then glue it on in 20 minutes and get away with it.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 10:00am
I've applied FTL booster, blow dry it in 10 min and slapped it on with just one layer of WBG. No issued whatsoever but you start to notice the booster taking full effect after several hours. 
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 10:46am
Dandoy Bio Booster  dries within a minute, perhaps you can apply five dried layer and check if it curled the rubber yet. If not that your requirements are met.  Never tried to use it that way
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Yes.
There is one way: use a special water based glue. Apply thick layer or 3 normal layers on sponge.
Then use a special booster liquid.
Sorry but 2 "special" things are not on the market. I make wbg and booster for myself, they works great together: quick absorption, strong enough to glue immediately after boosting.
Booster liquid is stored on glue layer only, then slowly releases to sponge for 1-2 month. Speed effect lasts 2-3 months without softening or bubbled topsheet.
Sorry but Falco Long doesn't work that way. You might try FineZip for that technic with Nittaku Speed Axel (available within USA continent)
Time for a new round of testing? white bottle for glue, transparent bottle for booster. Big smile

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I have noticed that for the first layer, assuming it's a thin to at most normal amounts, a lot of sponges are thirsty enough to soak it up in 20-30 minutes but it doesn't start to dome until maybe 40-60 minutes. I think you could apply that layer and then glue it on in 20 minutes and get away with it.
so far this is what makes more sense to me on par with vik2000's answer.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

I've applied FTL booster, blow dry it in 10 min and slapped it on with just one layer of WBG. No issued whatsoever but you start to notice the booster taking full effect after several hours. 
so if we use a hair dryer until the sponge is dry, enough FTL booster still had time to sink in to produce a glue effect? 
did I get it right?
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Dandoy Bio Booster  dries within a minute, perhaps you can apply five dried layer and check if it curled the rubber yet. If not that your requirements are met.  Never tried to use it that way
yes, the choice of booster seems to be key, thinner = better, that's why chop4ever's reviver, Bio Booster or Nittaku Axel is best (I guess).
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2019 at 12:26pm
I don't think using a hair dryer is ever necessary when boosting
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2019 at 1:25am

Time for a new round of testing? white bottle for glue, transparent bottle for booster. Big smile

I also found a formula of booster which could dilute to normal speed glue.
I haven't seen any booster on the market which could be mixed to speed glue. They simply won't work together, however I can make it possible.

It dries quickly, faster than even plain booster w/o stretching topsheet in 5ms.
Surprisingly, the boosting / speed glue effect that combination last extremely long!

VKMO - H3 - Curl P1
my feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55764&KW=chop4ever&title=feedback-chop4ever
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic