Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Korea Open July 02--07

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by troubadour troubadour wrote:

Lol everyone check out the interview of Xu Xin on court; He said he wasn't so happy to win the Open, but he's happy to beat Ma Long, because everyone in the world wants to beat Ma Long, It must be tough to be Ma Long yeah!.
Now I wonder what could have been if Xu Xin had taken the pain to have this level of a backhand in the celluloid days, Things could have been different with the way ZJK and ML bossed him around then

Yeah, but the old ball favored opening so much more than countering.  Xu Xin was competitive in the cell days.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

People believed Kenta was a promising young player from his 2009 wttc performance, and predicted he would have much bigger achievement. However he has been struggling in pre-qualification nowadays. 

Current situation in world TT is similar to road cycling race: China is the main peleton, poised to win if no surprise. Sometimes  non Chinese attack the main group, breaking away from the Peleton. The breakaway is exciting, but very often end up caught by the main group before the finish line.

When you compare Kenta to Harimoto, it almost makes me wonder whether you take into account how old they were when they did what they did and whether there are comparable players in the history of table tennis.

Really, the only person you can compare Harimoto to in Japanese TT history is Jun Mizutani and it is not even close.  

Jun Mizutani was the national champion of Japan at the age of 17.  Harimoto was champion at the age of 14.  
Harimoto was a WTTC quarterfinalist at the age of 13.  Kenta did this at the age of 23, Mizutani and Niwa at 22.

Harimoto isn't yet 16 and he has just about every age relative record for champion in the ITTF record books (WJTTC, Tour event winner, Platinum event winner).

So no, whatever you think about his ultimate prospects, this isn't Kenta.  Not even close.

You cant say that harimoto is gonna improve at the same rate pretty much like guo yue she was too 10 seniorat 13 and became world champion at 19 and started to burn kenta and mizutani have fuller strokes and more rounded style. The coaches said that the younger you start at top level  its more likely to burn earlier

I think the coaches have told HT that he cant play BH all the time if he wants to have a chance if he doesnt develop a better FH. Harimoto needs to stop playing some months skipping some protours to train his FH
I see that HT used to beat opponents easier last year and more top40 players and now they have learnt how to play him the pressure in tokyo will be harder because HT will play at home

All of this is interesting but has no real bearing on the conversation.  You don't beat Ma Long or Fan Zhendong if you don't have a forehand so let's stop this silliness - it is all relative.  People who know Harimoto in Japan said that his growth wasn't a result of excessive training, that many kids trained more than he did but just didn't get as good.

Have Fan Zhendong and Ma Long burned out?  Mizutani, who was a serious prodigy already playing in European leagues at 15?  If Harimoto burns out, then great.  Guo Yue had many issues other than burning out.  

Ma long and fan didnt started in senior tournaments at 13 like guo and HT.  Ma and fang  has only lost once to HT ..kishikawa has beaten ma long koki niwa has beaten ma long they dont have huge forehands.. mizutani beat wang hao at 16 and many said it would be world champion..niwa beat ma long at 14...

fan lose to HT in asian games very suspicious I dont think HT can beat them again in a long time in the same way like pitchford lee sang su defeated ma long .honestly I see lin yunju more dangerous with more room to improvement because has more strokes and master the game close and away from the table

If guo yue won at 2007 wttc and after started going downhill  never making a semi and she made CNT lose the gold medal at singapore how would you call that?

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 1:56pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 3:40pm

If guo yue won at 2007 wttc and after started going downhill  never making a semi and she made CNT lose the gold medal at singapore how would you call that?

Wait a minute. I just checked this and Guo Yue did not play the 2010 Chinese Women's World Team cup loss to Singapore.

It was Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen and Guo Yan vs. Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Beibei.

50th World Team Table Tennis Championships in Moscow, capital of Russia, on May 30, 2010. Singapore defeated China 3-1 in the women's final.

vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 4:21pm
This is Xu Xin 2.0 we are witnessing. Truly amazing for him to make such a meaningful progress at his age. He has always been my favorite player and even more so now. 

On another note, they need to change the table design going forward. I've never seen players tripping and kicking the table this many times in a tournament. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by fortunateluck fortunateluck wrote:

Wait a minute. I just checked this and Guo Yue did not play the 2010 Chinese Women's World Team cup loss to Singapore.

It was Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen and Guo Yan vs. Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Beibei.

50th World Team Table Tennis Championships in Moscow, capital of Russia, on May 30, 2010. Singapore defeated China 3-1 in the women's final.

Do.you have a better source? I think she was on the team 90% ..well the point is that she started too early and failed to improve
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 4:43pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 6:10pm

People believed Kenta was a promising young player from his 2009 wttc performance, and predicted he would have much bigger achievement. However he has been struggling in pre-qualification nowadays. 

Current situation in world TT is similar to road cycling race: China is the main peleton, poised to win if no surprise. Sometimes  non Chinese attack the main group, breaking away from the Peleton. The breakaway is exciting, but very often end up caught by the main group before the finish line.

When you compare Kenta to Harimoto, it almost makes me wonder whether you take into account how old they were when they did what they did and whether there are comparable players in the history of table tennis.

Really, the only person you can compare Harimoto to in Japanese TT history is Jun Mizutani and it is not even close.  

Jun Mizutani was the national champion of Japan at the age of 17.  Harimoto was champion at the age of 14.  
Harimoto was a WTTC quarterfinalist at the age of 13.  Kenta did this at the age of 23, Mizutani and Niwa at 22.

Harimoto isn't yet 16 and he has just about every age relative record for champion in the ITTF record books (WJTTC, Tour event winner, Platinum event winner).

So no, whatever you think about his ultimate prospects, this isn't Kenta.  Not even close.

You cant say that harimoto is gonna improve at the same rate pretty much like guo yue she was too 10 seniorat 13 and became world champion at 19 and started to burn kenta and mizutani have fuller strokes and more rounded style. The coaches said that the younger you start at top level  its more likely to burn earlier

I think the coaches have told HT that he cant play BH all the time if he wants to have a chance if he doesnt develop a better FH. Harimoto needs to stop playing some months skipping some protours to train his FH
I see that HT used to beat opponents easier last year and more top40 players and now they have learnt how to play him the pressure in tokyo will be harder because HT will play at home

All of this is interesting but has no real bearing on the conversation.  You don't beat Ma Long or Fan Zhendong if you don't have a forehand so let's stop this silliness - it is all relative.  People who know Harimoto in Japan said that his growth wasn't a result of excessive training, that many kids trained more than he did but just didn't get as good.

Have Fan Zhendong and Ma Long burned out?  Mizutani, who was a serious prodigy already playing in European leagues at 15?  If Harimoto burns out, then great.  Guo Yue had many issues other than burning out.  

Ma long and fan didnt started in senior tournaments at 13 like guo and HT.  Ma and fang  has only lost once to HT ..kishikawa has beaten ma long koki niwa has beaten ma long they dont have huge forehands.. mizutani beat wang hao at 16 and many said it would be world champion..niwa beat ma long at 14...

fan lose to HT in asian games very suspicious I dont think HT can beat them again in a long time in the same way like pitchford lee sang su defeated ma long .honestly I see lin yunju more dangerous with more room to improvement because has more strokes and master the game close and away from the table

Koki Niwa wasn't 14 when he beat Ma Long.  At this point,  you are going to have to try harder not to get facts wrong. 
Korbel ST
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 6:34pm
Koki Niwa was born on October 10, 1994. He beat ML in 2012 at the Asian Olympic Qualification in April, that means he was almost 18 years old. 

Edited by stiltt - 07/07/2019 at 6:37pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 6:45pm

Koki Niwa wasn't 14 when he beat Ma Long.  At this point,  you are going to have to try harder not to get facts wrong. 

Ok my bad what I wanted to say is that niwa started  playing wttc at 14.But did niwa beat ma long and niwa doesnt have power you said you need a huge forehand to beat ma long pitchford neither have a good forehand

Edited by mykonos96 - 07/07/2019 at 6:49pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 9:01pm

Ok my bad what I wanted to say is that niwa started  playing wttc at 14.But did niwa beat ma long and niwa doesnt have power you said you need a huge forehand to beat ma long pitchford neither have a good forehand
Koki Niwa did not make the main draw at the Wttc in 2009.  HT at 13 made the QF of the 2017 WTTC.

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 07/07/2019 at 9:16pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 9:57pm
Its not matter of results.niwa defeated liu song at wttc at 14yo..my point is the younger you start to play with seniors the sooner you burn

A player from argentina  told me that niwa beat liu song in 2009

Check this video  https://youtu.be/PFIHsod52VI

Edited by mykonos96 - 07/07/2019 at 10:07pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 10:23pm

I never said you can't beat Ma Long without a huge forehand.  You just read what you wanted to read.  I said you can't beat Ma Long without a good forehand.  Statements about how good or bad a player's forehand is are all relative and should be placed in context. You keep saying Kreanga has a bad forehand and again, it is all relative.   You don't win a WTTC bronze medal or an European title without a forehand.  Same with Dima or Samsonov.

Korbel ST
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 10:27pm
FZD started playing ITTF world tours at 16 so we'll have to see how long his career lasts. 

Koki Niwa is no doubt a fine, talented player, but there's a huge difference between beating Liu Song, who was 37 and nearing retirement in 2009, versus a 14 year old HT beating a 29 year old ML who many consider the GOAT of  table tennis.  He's also has beaten nearly all of the top players as a 15 year old.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 10:29pm

Its not matter of results.niwa defeated liu song at wttc at 14yo..my point is the younger you start to play with seniors the sooner you burn

A player from argentina  told me that niwa beat liu song in 2009

Check this video  https://youtu.be/PFIHsod52VI

Mizutani was playing with seniors at a young age.  Mizutani at 30 is still one of the best players in the world.  

Waldner was playing with seniors at a young age and actually made the european final at the age of 16 or so.

Everyone is different,  no need to make it sound like there is some magic formula in TT.
Korbel ST
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

FZD started playing ITTF world tours at 16 so we'll have to see how long his career lasts. 

Koki Niwa is no doubt a fine, talented player, but there's a huge difference between beating Liu Song, who was 37 and nearing retirement in 2009, versus a 14 year old HT beating a 29 year old ML who many consider the GOAT of  table tennis.  He's also has beaten nearly all of the top players as a 15 year old.

Yes.  Has beaten all the top CNT players except Xu Xin.  At some point these discussions get weird.  No one knows how good Harimoto will be as an adult but it is clear he had easily the best age 16 career ever.  And as the magnitude of the achievements make clear (Platinum World tour beating Zhang Jike in final, WTTC quarter finalist, world tour beating Timo Boll in final, Grand Finals), it is silly to make this all about him just being allowed to play at a young age.
Korbel ST
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 1:35am
it seems you dont understand if niwa beat a 40 year old or he beat a 15 year old player doesnt matter. Its the age 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 2:29am

Edited by zeio - 07/09/2019 at 8:52am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

those 2 players wcq and lgy really are the new dominant bh breed that resolves the game as we know it, that's why I don't get where HT is going with a fh dominant mindset. he had it all already and they changed him down to normal and usual so lgy and wcq can share the titles.[/QUOTE]

I think LGY has peaked. WCQ clearly has lot more potential.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

those 2 players wcq and lgy really are the new dominant bh breed that resolves the game as we know it, that's why I don't get where HT is going with a fh dominant mindset. he had it all already and they changed him down to normal and usual so lgy and wcq can share the titles.

When LGY's bh topspin rip over the table is on, he is impossible to beat, same when his close to the body fh off the bounce lands. That's mindset related and when he loses, it's because those do not work well.
The question is can he stabilize those shots with a stronger and more stable mental from tourney to tourney? can he get his mojo out on demand? if yes, he will dominate insolently a year or 2, it's almost impossible to specialize that much and stay on top for too long; if not, he will be another Chen Qi, another Yan An, an all out game that works sometimes only, on a good day here and there.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2019 at 9:42pm

Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

those 2 players wcq and lgy really are the new dominant bh breed that resolves the game as we know it, that's why I don't get where HT is going with a fh dominant mindset. he had it all already and they changed him down to normal and usual so lgy and wcq can share the titles.

When LGY's bh topspin rip over the table is on, he is impossible to beat, same when his close to the body fh off the bounce lands. That's mindset related and when he loses, it's because those do not work well.
The question is can he stabilize those shots with a stronger and more stable mental from tourney to tourney? can he get his mojo out on demand? if yes, he will dominate insolently a year or 2, it's almost impossible to specialize that much and stay on top for too long; if not, he will be another Chen Qi, another Yan An, an all out game that works sometimes only, on a good day here and there.
Yeah which is why I think WCQ has better potential than LGY. He's younger and also has a more stable game with better control with an added bonus of very precise and nasty lefty enhanced placements. He's like Hao Shuai on steroids! 
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic