Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

twiddle smooth for receive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: twiddle smooth for receive
    Posted: 07/07/2019 at 12:46am
It's pretty common for people with pips on one side to twiddle when they want to use a different rubber (e.g., they normally have pips on the backhand smooth on their forehand, but they twiddle to use the smooth on the BH).  You'll also see people (pros mostly) twiddle for smashing lobs.  For example, many pros have dense rubbers on the FH (such as Hurricane III) that don't smash well and Tenergy or something similar on the BH. So they twiddle to use that BH rubbers for smashing lobs.  However, I just saw something that I've never seen before at the pro level.

This is the match Boll-Goth from the finals of the 2019 European Games a couple of weeks ago:

If you go to about 3:30 in the video, Goth (foreground) is serving to Boll (far side).  Timo uses red on his BH, currently Dignics 05.  However, just as Goth serves, Timo twiddles to receive a long serve in his backhand with his black (normally forehand) rubber.

This is significant for a few reasons.  First, twiddling with smooth-smooth rubbers is uncommon because they just aren't that different.  And the last I knew, Timo was using T05Hard or T09C for his forehand, which isn't all that different from his backhand rubber of D05.  Second, I've never seen Timo do that before. In fact, I don't think I've seen any pro (with a similar setup) do that before.  And if it turns out to be useful for Timo, we could be seeing this as a future trend.

This match was significant in it's own right because Timo was making a lot of non-standard shots -- stuff that isn't common at the elite level and certainly is the way he operated in the past.  I think Timo knows that he's getting old and he's looking for ways to adjust playing style to remain competitive as he slows down.  Not only is this interesting to any fan of the older pros (such as Timo or Samsonov), but it could be something to consider for all adults past 40.

One of the consequences of the 40+ plastic ball is that has decrease the importance of tricky play/tactical play and put greater emphasis on pure speed and hitting power.  That, in turn, rewards younger players.  Historically, older players played "smart" to compete with the young.  Plastic play has made "smart" play less effective compared to simple fast play.  If someone like Timo can find ways to adjust his game to remain competitive as he approaches age 40, that might give the rest of us ideas for how to continue competing.  

Anyway, I thought the video was surprising and interesting and I wanted to share my thoughts.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 1:33am
He played the entire next point with red on his Fh.

I think it may just be senility as he is getting quite old.  At my age I am often not only unaware of what rubber is on which side, but sometimes not aware whether or not the paddle is actually in my hand.

Mark -  What was I writing about?
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 1:47am
Thanks for posting the link and your observations.

One poster from the youtube link wrote the following:
"He answered that in an interview in german. He did it to confuse Groth, he said and to vary his game a lot. In his view it worked, he said, to take the focus out of Groth's play."
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 1:49am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

He played the entire next point with red on his Fh.

I think it may just be senility as he is getting quite old.  At my age I am often not only unaware of what rubber is on which side, but sometimes not aware whether or not the paddle is actually in my hand.

Mark -  What was I writing about?
Good catch.  While your humor is appreciated, I'm pretty sure he did  this intentionally, even on the next point. I think he was experimenting, testing different strategies and ideas to see how Goth responded.  I'd call it pretty bold to do that in a tournament final, but I think that's what he was doing.

I would like to know what he was using for his black rubber.  In the Fall it was T05h, but then in February he was using the mysterious T09c, which no one really knows about, but it speculated to have a tacky topsheet.  
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Thanks for posting the link and your observations.

One poster from the youtube link wrote the following:
"He answered that in an interview in german. He did it to confuse Groth, he said and to vary his game a lot. In his view it worked, he said, to take the focus out of Groth's play."
Cool!Star
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 2:41am
I think he did it to preserve from wear and tear on his Dignics rubber because it's so expensive.Smile

Edited by heavyspin - 07/07/2019 at 2:43am
Ma Lin introduced himself to a poker table and they all folded their hands.
They heard him say "I'm Ma Lin"
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 11:44am
HIs name is Groth, not Goth. It's pronounced (kind of) like "Groot". I've just seen this "Goth" typo several times now in various posts and thought I'd make a comment.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

HIs name is Groth, not Goth. It's pronounced (kind of) like "Groot". I've just seen this "Goth" typo several times now in various posts and thought I'd make a comment.
Thanks for alerting me to this; it was my mistake and I'll try to better in the future.

Does this mean he goes around only saying "I am Groth" (see Guardians of the Galaxy).
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Thanks for alerting me to this; it was my mistake and I'll try to better in the future.

Does this mean he goes around only saying "I am Groth" (see Guardians of the Galaxy).

He should! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic