Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adam bobrow's commenting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adam bobrow's commenting
    Posted: 07/07/2019 at 5:10am
I kind of attacked him in the past for his big mouth and overkill enjoyment in big events and I regret it now. (I also supported him at the beginning when some were attacking him for just being new and I was interested in his shot).

The alternative is worst; when he is not commenting, something is missing. He is successful making himself interesting for viewers and indispensable in English speaking countries where there is interest in tt.

He is more measured today anyway, still full of passion, thinks less of himself, is more balanced between the job and himself, he evolved right and strong, he's got a great game.

I want to say thank you for diving into the game 100%, you are doing an awesome job and when I bad mouth you, I am just being a jealous guy.

Note that the volume of his voice relative to what happens in the court has been taken down and that might have been the little thing that resolved it all.

btw did you hear the "CHECK CHECK CHECK,CHECK CHECK..." at the end of one of ittf videos? I found it funny. He was asking more volume in his ear, CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!

I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be back, right after this Big smile

Edited by stiltt - 07/07/2019 at 5:22am
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 7:36am
He is great and so are you
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
avova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 7:57am
ITTF never had good commentators. Maybe before 2004?

I saw some matches commentated by the a national team level coaches, 
and it was awesome. They would dissect every point and every shot, discuss techniques, 
tactics, tactical changes being made during the matches, etc... 

All Adam does is shout "AAAAAA great shot". The previous commentator would just repeat nonsense like "they are toweling down, like they are allowed to do every 6 points", or "oh he did not cover the top of the ball with his racket sufficiently" or some drivel like that. 

I am not sure why they cannot get a real pro. It is sad.

Edited by avova - 07/07/2019 at 7:57am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by avova avova wrote:

probably because of money
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Originally posted by avova avova wrote:

probably because of money

I would guess that.

I have always enjoyed listening to Sean O'Neill and Dan Seemiller when they made themselves available for commentary. But I'm sure they have better things to do given that the pay is probably close to nothing. (Not to mention the travelling involved.)

Edited by Ieyasu - 07/07/2019 at 10:34am
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 11:16am
Gavin Rumgay was also excellent during his short stints (which I think would follow his elimination from tournaments). 

Not too sure money is the issue, a decent commentator completely changes the 'product' the ITTF is promoting and makes TT accessible to a wider audience. Bobrow is brilliant but it would be nice to hear some other voices, players like Rumgay, retired players/ coaches like Seemiller and Richard Prause for example. 
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 11:51am
Adam does fine, but maybe throw in UFC's Joe Rogan or that soccer guy...
Tony
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2019 at 8:25pm
Perhaps I was one of those guys that did not take too well to Adam's commentary at first. But he grew on me.

I do agree that the commentary would improve if some ex pro players joined to comment on tactics and such.

FdT
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 3:29am
For one match at a US Open the broadcasting "dream team" was formed.

Ma Lin introduced himself to a poker table and they all folded their hands.
They heard him say "I'm Ma Lin"
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 3:55am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

For one match at a US Open the broadcasting "dream team" was formed.

This is fridge magnet picture level Clap

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

btw did you hear the "CHECK CHECK CHECK,CHECK CHECK..." at the end of one of ittf videos? I found it funny. He was asking more volume in his ear, CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!
btw it's at the end of the match Harimoto-Wang Chuqin at 55m38s LOL
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 1:58pm
He does great - perhaps get different coaches/experts in on a rotating/ad hoc basis
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 2:00pm
he should compose some rap songs and sing them during long intervals.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2019 at 11:00pm
I still find him a bit over the top.  But he's better than before.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 12:14am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Perhaps I was one of those guys that did not take too well to Adam's commentary at first. But he grew on me.

I do agree that the commentary would improve if some ex pro players joined to comment on tactics and such.

FdT
What you guys are talking about are the differences between announcers, color commentators, and analysts.  Most professional sports with good TV coverage use a team.  The main guy does the play-by-play, the running commentary describing the action.  The second guy provides technical insights. Another person might look up statistics or do in-depth interviews.

ITTF sometimes provides two commentators, but most often just one.  And it's relatively hard for them to find good analysts.  So you end up with someone like Adam, who is trying hard to do all those jobs together, which is a big challenge.  I think he does a great job for it.

I've heard a few cases where a knowledge player or coach, who also is comfortable speaking to the public, has made an excellent analyst. But I think they're hard to find.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 1:24am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

FdT
What you guys are talking about are the differences between announcers, color commentators, and analysts.  Most professional sports with good TV coverage use a team.  The main guy does the play-by-play, the running commentary describing the action.  The second guy provides technical insights. Another person might look up statistics or do in-depth interviews.

ITTF sometimes provides two commentators, but most often just one.  And it's relatively hard for them to find good analysts.  So you end up with someone like Adam, who is trying hard to do all those jobs together, which is a big challenge.  I think he does a great job for it.

I've heard a few cases where a knowledge player or coach, who also is comfortable speaking to the public, has made an excellent analyst. But I think they're hard to find.
that's where i stand too, Adam and ittf are the best combo possible atm, as they both grow their game without much budget for more than one person, Adam is filling well and I see nothing wrong in him feeling the same when finding his balance between many roles. 
The comments underline the danger to be pulled from different functions, his strength to handle the mission is admirable, I am not interested in wondering who could do better at this time because he can do that better than anybody else, he is questioning himself all the time and adjusts, like a real pong player, way to go.
Adding a person would be a torture to him, I am not sure the value in forcing him to babysit somebody because we know it would end in a match between commentators, he is not ready for that. Another person would diminish his value more than whatever they would add so it's a bit early and conveniently ittf does not have the money to push anybody on his side and it's all good. 
When he makes it exciting to the point his co-commentator enjoys their job because he wants it, without anybody noticing, he will succeed; that will happen.

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2019 at 4:05pm
Adam is doing well, and big supporter of TT; is he perfect not in the least but i only know One who is perfect...keep going Adam!
301, Viscaria, VR, Clipper Wood
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Adam is doing well, and big supporter of TT; is he perfect not in the least but i only know One who is perfect...keep going Adam!
Yes great bloke doing a great job
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 36 minutes ago at 6:05am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Adam lives and breathes table tennis. Respect.

I live and breathe table tennis.  It doesn't make me a great commentator.  It doesn't make me an expert.  It doesn't make me anything other than someone who "lives and breathes table tennis".

While I agree with many of the positive comments made about Bobrow's growth as a commentator, and I appreciate the complexities of the task, I still can't bring myself to like his work.  This is nothing more than my own personal prejudice; if others are encouraged by his work and he positively influences the public's appreciation of the sport then bravo.  (Mind you, I'd like to see some hard evidence that this is what he's doing.)
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 31 minutes ago at 10:10am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Adam lives and breathes table tennis. Respect.

I live and breathe table tennis.  It doesn't make me a great commentator.  It doesn't make me an expert.  It doesn't make me anything other than someone who "lives and breathes table tennis".

While I agree with many of the positive comments made about Bobrow's growth as a commentator, and I appreciate the complexities of the task, I still can't bring myself to like his work.  This is nothing more than my own personal prejudice; if others are encouraged by his work and he positively influences the public's appreciation of the sport then bravo.  (Mind you, I'd like to see some hard evidence that this is what he's doing.)
Hard evidence on the positive influence of a commentator of a niche sport? Surely you jest.

It's fine that his style is not your cup of tea, but be sure to consider the alternatives. There's the sleepy voice European woman whose name I don't know. There's also sleepy voice Jill Parker. Don Parker, however, works well as a co-commentator with Adam.
Twiddler View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 5 minutes ago at 3:36pm
I would rather have an expert commentator. One who can predict and explain what the opponent could do to offset one another.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 52 minutes ago at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Twiddler Twiddler wrote:

I would rather have an expert commentator. One who can predict and explain what the opponent could do to offset one another.

Adam is ~2,200. I doubt that a 2,700 player has a magical extra level of game understanding compared to 2,200.  For many of them English is not their primary language. Some of them can't combine three words together even in their native tongue. The pool dwindles quickly.

We are lucky to have Adam Clap

p.s. I'm a fan Big smile
boffin5a View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boffin5a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 6 minutes ago at 6:35pm
Adam is doing a great job, as he is enthusiastic and entertaining.  His style is to call out the action of the shots with detail as to the stroke, spin and placement; it's impressive how he can follow the details of point after point, all through a match.  There was another commentator who I miss, that is Sebastian Hallen, who was also great, but in a different way.  He would comment as to the changes that occur through a match, how a player would get tired or frustrated, or would adjust according to how his opponent changed.  It is a case of tactics versus strategy.  I think it would be fantastic if they could call matches together, but it's great just to have Adam all the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic