Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrist Brace Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrist Brace Table Tennis
    Posted: 07/09/2019 at 2:47am
I've been having some trouble with my wrist lately and I've been resting it. I can play if I don't go too crazy with the wrist flick on the backhand. Forehand I don't use much wrist unless I'm flicking or serving and those don't bother it. Can anyone recommend a good wrist brace for table tennis? 
Current Setup:
Sittiho Hinoki ALC, Baracuda(max), Dignics 05(max)
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: Bad Day ~ 1900 Good Day ~ 2100 (In Asia since 2015, no USATT events here)
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 3:38am
Fellow chiquita player/abuser here...used to have had some issues in the past, I believe it was to do with dropping the wrist too much. Its disappeared after I started focusing on the supination and forearm action. 
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 5:01am
Yes, partially due to that and also I was playing with Dignics 05 on that wing which is pretty hard. I put T80 back on that side to soften it up a little bit which is helping. I also started focusing on using more of my elbow and forearm to make my back hand strokes rather than such as dramatic wrist snap. I feel like something tight around my wrist area would help support it as it heals, but most of the stuff I've seen around my area locally takes up too much of my palm area and I'm afraid it will take away too much feeling from my grip. I was hoping someone had some suggestions. 

Current Setup:
Current estimated level: Bad Day ~ 1900 Good Day ~ 2100 (In Asia since 2015, no USATT events here)
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Yes, partially due to that and also I was playing with Dignics 05 on that wing which is pretty hard. I put T80 back on that side to soften it up a little bit which is helping. I also started focusing on using more of my elbow and forearm to make my back hand strokes rather than such as dramatic wrist snap. I feel like something tight around my wrist area would help support it as it heals, but most of the stuff I've seen around my area locally takes up too much of my palm area and I'm afraid it will take away too much feeling from my grip. I was hoping someone had some suggestions. 

Best way to heal is not to play LOL but I'll show myself out, someone else will have the answer!
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

ghostzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 11:14am
100% rest it, agree with Blah which is weird but does happen Wink 

KiwiPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 1:49pm
I injured my wrist last year partially due to 1. I have weak wrist/arm 2. I was using a VERY thick blade and Hurricane/Nittakku rubber, neither is suitable for my hand.

After resting/ice/massage/acupuncture I decided to get steroid injection and just let it heal. Its been 9 months and earlier spring around March I felt it again.
I think the flicking action is very risky for injury like that.
I switched my equipment to the lightest combo...both sides of the rubbers are now 1.8mm. I have been fine but I know I can't over do it. 3 times a week of play is all I am getting for now.
Hope this helps.
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 5:01pm
You know you can still shadow play and ladder drill and workout in general without abusing the wrist right ? Probably stop playing until you healed up and strengthened it a bit more for the repetitiveness that is TT ! 
vittiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vittiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2019 at 5:59pm
Try to reduce the weight of the bat(blade or rubber)
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2019 at 11:11pm
I used
https://www.amazon.com/Youngdo-Adjustable-Basketball-Badminton-Volleyball/dp/B073XLSBXV/
for a while; one is 27g and it does affect your grip a little; when using it, I switched from flared to straight handle.

Eventually I gave up and use LPs now. For my left hand wrist, I found that light and head-heavy blades (WRB) work best in reducing pain (and I assume the risk of serious injury).
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 4:44am
So I haven't played for a few days and the pain has subsided from the carpal region of my wrist. It was such a sharp pain for a few days that I couldn't figure out exactly where main source of the pain was coming from. It felt as if it was inured from the wrist up to my pointer and index fingers. But now I can tell the pain is actually more in the metacarpal region as highlighted in the image below, in other words, I think its more of hand injury and less of a wrist injury.

I honestly don't think it was a table tennis injury. I don't recall doing anything to it that injured it. I do remember one day last week I was swimming laps and I banged my hand on the wall at the end of the pool, that could have been it, but I'm not really sure. It currently feels more like I banged it on something rather than an injury from a repetitive exercise, but again I could be wrong. It was a fairly strong pain for a week or so, but yet I don't recall any specific incident. 

Anyhow, I ordered a couple of braces from Lazada. They wont come until early next week. I may or may not try to have a hit before then. I was thinking about trying to tape it up and going for a light hit at my apartment building, but it might be best to just wait a few more days. 

\\\

Edited by ericd937 - 07/11/2019 at 4:47am
Current Setup:
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 8:22am
I went downstairs and tried hitting. I hit exactly two balls. Nope, not going to happen. Try again next week. 
Current Setup:
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 9:30am

I went downstairs and tried hitting. I hit exactly two balls. Nope, not going to happen. Try again next week. 

You gotta hold the temptations man! LOLLOLLOL
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 1:56am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

One can not resist the temptation to play. I'm thinking i could play with one of those super slow anti rubbers. lol I could just stick the paddle out and block everything softly on the backhand side. 

Or... Is it legal to play with two paddles? I could just have a paddle in each hand and use two forehands rather than a backhand. LOLSmileTongue

Edited by ericd937 - 07/12/2019 at 1:57am
Current Setup:
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 2:01am

One can not resist the temptation to play. I'm thinking i could play with one of those super slow anti rubbers. lol I could just stick the paddle out and block everything softly on the backhand side. 

Or... Is it legal to play with two paddles? I could just have a paddle in each hand and use two forehands rather than a backhand. LOLSmileTongue
Something like this? 

-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 2:08am
Tbh I'm having a bad cold now and haven't been playing for 1 week already and I can totally understand the itch!
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 2:16am

Something like this? 

Yes, i was thinking like this. I could probably manage. 

Current Setup:
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 10:41pm
So, I put a sheet of Yasaka Anti Power on my backhand yesterday. I didn't have any problem playing doubles with the 1300-1600 level crowd of guys who play in my apartment complex. I can block short ball when I receive chops and chop block topspins okay without any pain. It was kind of fun experimenting with the anti spin, but I mostly just tried to play all forehands. I doubt I could play at a very well at a level any higher than that, but at least I can keep my forehand and timing tuned up, get some exercise, and have a bit of fun. 
Current Setup:
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2019 at 12:18pm
Had the same problem... I use pips on the backhand now LOL 

Mine got so bad I wasn't able to hold a 1 gallon milk jug upright in the air, without tremendous wrist pain. I thought table tennis was fun... but so was being able to use my hands in life! 

Frictionless anti is definitely the most wrist friendly, since you can do all the strokes without needing much movement out of it. When punching back spin back, you hit almost straight into the ball and don't need to flick much over the top of the ball, if any. 

Edited by obesechopper - 07/17/2019 at 12:20pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Mine got so bad I wasn't able to hold a 1 gallon milk jug upright in the air, without tremendous wrist pain. I thought table tennis was fun... but so was being able to use my hands in life! 

Frictionless anti is definitely the most wrist friendly, since you can do all the strokes without needing much movement out of it. When punching back spin back, you hit almost straight into the ball and don't need to flick much over the top of the ball, if any. 

In the past I've played quite a bit with short pimples. I have a bunch of short pimple rubbers laying in a box, but most of them are rubbers I liked to hit with. I don't think those types of rubbers would be too easy on my wrist. I did have a couple things laying around worth giving a try.  

I'm currently playing with Yasaka Anti-Power. I had it laying in that box for about 6 years. I've been playing with it about a week and have won some matches against 1800ish level opponents. It's not a frictionless anti though. Which frictionless anti do you recommend? I might be willing to give it a try. 

I have also have a couple of sheets of Nittaku Pimple Mini laying around. I was thinking about trying that as well. I think its technically classified as a short pimple, but I would say its more of a defensive medium pimple rubber. I just played it a short time and remember it being quite difficult to play with. What kind of pips are using on your backhand? Do you think I should continue on with Yasaka Anti Power or would something else be more effective for someone with limited wrist motion? I simply just can't flick my wrist on the backhand stroke without feeling pain. 
Current Setup:
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2019 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

In the past I've played quite a bit with short pimples. I have a bunch of short pimple rubbers laying in a box, but most of them are rubbers I liked to hit with. I don't think those types of rubbers would be too easy on my wrist. I did have a couple things laying around worth giving a try.  

I'm currently playing with Yasaka Anti-Power. I had it laying in that box for about 6 years. I've been playing with it about a week and have won some matches against 1800ish level opponents. It's not a frictionless anti though. Which frictionless anti do you recommend? I might be willing to give it a try. 

I have also have a couple of sheets of Nittaku Pimple Mini laying around. I was thinking about trying that as well. I think its technically classified as a short pimple, but I would say its more of a defensive medium pimple rubber. I just played it a short time and remember it being quite difficult to play with. What kind of pips are using on your backhand? Do you think I should continue on with Yasaka Anti Power or would something else be more effective for someone with limited wrist motion? I simply just can't flick my wrist on the backhand stroke without feeling pain. 

The der material-spezialist brand is the best I know of. Dr Neubauer has a bunch, but they are all quite a bit faster and might require more wrist work depending on how you want to play. For purely passive blocking and punching of back spin balls, the DMS is superior from what I've seen.

DMS reflection or scandal are the top notch anti rubbers imo. If you like tt11, they have all of them available there. For USA ordering, tabletennisstore.us has a good number of them 

I'd go totally frictionless anti. I use low friction long pips (like d.tecs) , to either block or chop off the table with. Similar to Jian Li if you're familiar with him. I also use short pimples when chopping some times as well. If you can still do an inverted style push, although it may still hurt your wrist. So the anti blocking is definitely the easiest I've used, and caused zero wrist pain. Yet, it's also the most limiting style wise. Since you can only block top spins, and punch back spins

Edited by obesechopper - 07/17/2019 at 2:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic