FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Triangle TT to charge $50 spectator/coach fee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

It appears the $50.00 spectator/coach fee has been removed from the entry form as I no longer see it anywhere on there now.
Hmmm.. I still see it there.
Where? The only fees I’m seeing are the event fees on page 1 and membership fees on page 6.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Ttunderthesun21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:45pm
Yeah, still there.  Also yeah, Westchester is like 10$ on Sundays to watch for spectators, but it's always free for friends/family/coaches.  I also doubt that anyone will bring this up to Micheal, or they might get banned lol.  
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:51pm

It appears the $50.00 spectator/coach fee has been removed from the entry form as I no longer see it anywhere on there now.
Where? The only fees I’m seeing are the event fees on page 1 and membership fees on page 6.
On page 2:

Event: Non-player spectator pass/coach pass including main event finals (TTT Members free)
Entry Fee: $50

Right above the "EVENT FEES DUE"
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

Yeah, still there.  Also yeah, Westchester is like 10$ on Sundays to watch for spectators, but it's always free for friends/family/coaches.  I also doubt that anyone will bring this up to Micheal, or they might get banned lol.  
Is this the tournament on 8/2-8-3? I’ve looked at the entry form 4 times now and I don’t see the 50 fee any more. Could it be you getting a entry form that was stored in your  Cache?
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:57pm

https://www.omnipong.com/EntryForms/1075-37.pdf  Its not there now.

The 50$ fee is in reference to the Southeastern Open in October.  

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 2:58pm

That's a different tournament than the one being talked about in this thread:

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 3:04pm

That's a different tournament than the one being talked about in this thread:

Ahay. I had been looking at the other tournament. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 3:11pm

On page 2:

Event: Non-player spectator pass/coach pass including main event finals (TTT Members free)
Entry Fee: $50

Right above the "EVENT FEES DUE"
My understanding is that the fee for all 3 days pass. The thing is there is no 1 day pass mention.

All Days All Times Non-player spectator pass/coach pass including main event finals (TTT Members free) $50

Edited by mhnh007 - 07/19/2019 at 3:12pm
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 3:28pm
Here’s a question. If a person enters just one event would they have to pay spectator fee the other 2 days of the tournament if they showed up?

Edited by Vince64 - 07/19/2019 at 3:42pm
dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 4:44pm
An open question to all inspired by this thread and all the discussion (I can start another dedicated thread, if anyone considers this threadjacking).

What factors do you believe would  justify a spectator entrance fee for a table tennis tournament and what do you think should be considered when determining the cost of the spectator fee?

Edited by dsc13 - 07/19/2019 at 4:46pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 5:00pm

Here’s a question. If a person enters just one event would they have to pay spectator fee the other 2 days of the tournament if they showed up?
I don't know the answer (though for simplicity, I'd think they'd just give you a player badge or number as ID), but I think I know where you're going with this because I was perhaps thinking the same thing when I saw the entry form.  If you're under 1800 and already a USATT member, it's cheaper to register as a player in the U1800.  You get to play for a shot at some cash prize plus be a spectator at less than the cost of a spectator pass.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 9:32pm

I don't know the answer (though for simplicity, I'd think they'd just give you a player badge or number as ID), but I think I know where you're going with this because I was perhaps thinking the same thing when I saw the entry form.  If you're under 1800 and already a USATT member, it's cheaper to register as a player in the U1800.  You get to play for a shot at some cash prize plus be a spectator at less than the cost of a spectator pass.
You don't have a pass to a private club, so you do not get to enter on the day you are not registered to play. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by dsc13 dsc13 wrote:

An open question to all inspired by this thread and all the discussion (I can start another dedicated thread, if anyone considers this threadjacking).

What factors do you believe would  justify a spectator entrance fee for a table tennis tournament and what do you think should be considered when determining the cost of the spectator fee?

It's a private club.  No justification needed.  As for the fee, I don't like the fact that you have to buy all 3 days pass, unless they have, say $20/day, and $50 for all 3 days, which is a little high, but not unreasonable.  I don't know the cost of living there, so it's hard to say.  In Toronto, parking the whole day anywhere will cost you a minimum of $20 anyway.
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 10:45pm
What is it with Americans and getting taken for a ride, proffering their rear.

You don't charge spectators anything but a nominal fee at worst, especially if there isn't crowding, when you are not watching professionals. 

They can do what they wwnt, sure, but i can consider their behaviour scummy and actually hope they go under, as these practices shouldn't be rewarded. 

In nz, at the private tournament, spectating is not only free, but there are significant prizes  for viewers of the mens final (1000 dollars cash to any spectator off the street as well as 1 yr membership renewal for keyholders) etc. 
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

What is it with Americans and getting taken for a ride, proffering their rear.

You don't charge spectators anything but a nominal fee at worst, especially if there isn't crowding, when you are not watching professionals. 

They can do what they wwnt, sure, but i can consider their behaviour scummy and actually hope they go under, as these practices shouldn't be rewarded. 

In nz, at the private tournament, spectating is not only free, but there are significant prizes  for viewers of the mens final (1000 dollars cash to any spectator off the street as well as 1 yr membership renewal for keyholders) etc. 

I completely agree, charging that kind of money for spectators at an amateur event is ridiculous. As well as charging coaches. Does the ITTF charge coaches to go coach their players? 
Current Setup:
Sittiho Hinoki ALC, Baracuda(max), Dignics 05(max)
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: Bad Day ~ 1900 Good Day ~ 2100 (In Asia since 2015, no USATT events here)
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

You don't have a pass to a private club, so you do not get to enter on the day you are not registered to play. 

Usually anyone can enter TTT.  You just need to sign a waiver.  If you want to play, you have to pay.  But there are 2 years olds there with their mom while the dad plays etc.

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

I completely agree, charging that kind of money for spectators at an amateur event is ridiculous. As well as charging coaches. Does the ITTF charge coaches to go coach their players? 

Actually, yes - coaches have to pay an accreditation fee (190$ at the last World Tour event). But this case seems rather different.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2019 at 1:59am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Actually, yes - coaches have to pay an accreditation fee (190$ at the last World Tour event). But this case seems rather different.

Interesting. Do they have to pay that at every event or is a one time fee per year or something? 
Current Setup:
Sittiho Hinoki ALC, Baracuda(max), Dignics 05(max)
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: Bad Day ~ 1900 Good Day ~ 2100 (In Asia since 2015, no USATT events here)
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2019 at 8:32am

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Interesting. Do they have to pay that at every event or is a one time fee per year or something? 

The fee is per event, it's stated in each tournament prospectus.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2019 at 7:39am
As a human being, all other things being equal, I don't like to spend more money.  That said, in the US or any other country, we should be more willing to let clubs experiment with ways of making revenue.  Part of the reason why tennis does so well is that people are willing to invest in the associations and pay for the events.  If table tennis players showed themselves to be a sponsor worthy demographic, some of the issues with getting external sponsors and more money in the sport would ameliorate.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2019 at 3:06pm
I"m not thrilled at the prospect of having to pay an entry fee as a spectator to any event that can't draw spectators to even a FREE event, but I also understand the venue's and/or organizer's need to generate revenue.  Unfortunately, in  the US there are quite a few precedents for charging parents to watch their kids sporting activities.

For those who haven't had the misfortune of the experience, the practice of forcing parents/friends to pay to watch kids sports is all too common in youth basketball. I have a high-school aged son who plays well enough to play envision playing Division 3 college basketball and maybe even at a lower Division2 level if he continues to progress and grow. 

In his quest to improve, we attend many AAU youth basketball tournaments, and at EVERY one of of those tournaments, there is a minimum $10/person daily entrance fee to the venue.  In addition, there are multi-day "showcase" tournaments we travel to where the entrance fee is higher AND there is an additional PARKING fee if you drive to the venue.  Let me assure you the level at many of these tournaments is not higher than a casual recreational level for kids, so it's quite amateurish.  Teams play at most 2 games a day, and usually just one a day for bigger multi-day tournaments. Games last for about 45 minutes.

In addition, every high-school game we attend charges an entry fee, which even includes unofficial, casual summer league games.

My point is that as a parent, you may not like it, but you WILL fork out the money to watch your kids participate in sports, and once organizers realize it, they WILL take advantage of it because you have no choice.   I am somewhat surprised that they have not yet attempted to do so until now.

BTW, coaches are NOT charged entry fees at basketball tournaments, but they MUST register as a coach, and there is a formal process to do so with the AAU.

USVBA youth volleyball tournaments also charge entrance fees to spectators.

Edited by dsc13 - 07/22/2019 at 3:10pm
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As a human being, all other things being equal, I don't like to spend more money.  That said, in the US or any other country, we should be more willing to let clubs experiment with ways of making revenue.  Part of the reason why tennis does so well is that people are willing to invest in the associations and pay for the events.  If table tennis players showed themselves to be a sponsor worthy demographic, some of the issues with getting external sponsors and more money in the sport would ameliorate.

I'm all for TTT making money where they can, but I think this will backfire especially if they try to collect $50 from parents who want to watch their 600 level kids play.

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2019 at 11:00pm
I think "All days" on the registration form is ambiguous. Is it $50 for all days or is it all days are $50? 

The insane fee has been discussed. Here are some other thoughts.

A mom and dad could enter the Open Doubles Unsanctioned for $65, giving them the status of players, and hence save $35. 

There's a box on the registration form to enter the $50 fee. If one is not a player, would he fill out this form? 
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I think "All days" on the registration form is ambiguous. Is it $50 for all days or is it all days are $50? 

The insane fee has been discussed. Here are some other thoughts.

A mom and dad could enter the Open Doubles Unsanctioned for $65, giving them the status of players, and hence save $35. 

There's a box on the registration form to enter the $50 fee. If one is not a player, would he fill out this form? 
where do I apply to vote for you sir?

Edited by stiltt - 07/22/2019 at 11:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 2:33pm
I guess we will know more once the tournament actually takes place, I'm curious how this will all go down.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

To spectate on the final day of the the Australian Open cost AUD34.

I went to see opening rounds of WTTC IN Dusseldorf in 2017 and I think it was $100.

Clubs need money to operate and it annoys me when members fail to grasp this concept. But this is insane.

Edited by Baal - 07/23/2019 at 6:09pm
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I went to see opening rounds of WTTC IN Dusseldorf in 2017 and I think it was $100.

Clubs need money to operate and it annoys me when members fail to grasp this concept. But this is insane.

TTT especially so after they alienated half of their member base with their recent episode of mismanagement.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I know it feels insane.  But the point is that whatever the fee is, most people would complain anyways.  And given how expensive TTT must be to operate, people need to take a hard look at what is necessary to keep that kind of club going.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2019 at 12:21am
Was just looking at the entry form. Looks like they lowered the price from $50.00 to $10.00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic