Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New Table Tennis Tournament Formats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Table Tennis Tournament Formats
    Posted: 07/20/2019 at 10:02am
T2 has some different rules compared to regular tournaments.  Not sure I like them but for one tournament a year it's fine and refreshing.

I'd like to see one tournament a year where they play 3 sets to 21 again.  Can call it a Classic Event.  Maybe allow hidden serves too, why not?

But would be really cool would be a team World Cup event: 4 players per team, 2 men and 2 women.  Everyone plays everyone, including men vs women.  Each match is one set to 25 points and the total number of points after all matches are played determines the winner.  So if China wins 6 matches for a total of 200 points, and Japan wins 6 matches for a total of 201 points, Japan wins.  Assuming the men always beat the women it still gives them something to play for without an insulting handicap system. 

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2019 at 11:07am
The T2 format is great fun to watch but I feel that because it's a slightly different sport they shouldn't count points towards ITTF ranking. 

As for other formats, I like the idea of a classic event; small balls, 21 points, hidden serves,  speed glue mandatory. 
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2019 at 6:17am
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

I'd like to see one tournament a year where they play 3 sets to 21 again.  Can call it a Classic Event.  
Maybe allow hidden serves too, why not?

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see such "classic" event to 21 points too. I remember some long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, it worked pretty well. It would be nice to remember. And the game dynamics would be totally different. 

Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

.... Everyone plays everyone, including men vs women...

not sure about that... Wacko
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2019 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

The T2 format is great fun to watch but I feel that because it's a slightly different sport they shouldn't count points towards ITTF ranking. 

totally agreed Thumbs Up

speed glue mandatory. 

LOL

As for other formats, I like the idea of a classic event; small balls, 21 points, hidden serves 

I'd be more conservative -no small balls and speed glue. Because 38mm balls would mess players "muscle memory" (for lack of a better word), speed glue are not healthy. 

But hidden serves could make games more unpredictable =fun Smile

Edited by Simas - 07/21/2019 at 6:24am
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic