Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommended Insoles (or shoes) for hard floor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended Insoles (or shoes) for hard floor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended Insoles (or shoes) for hard floor
    Posted: 07/23/2019 at 12:16pm
I presently play with Mizuno Wave Drive shoes.  The places I play have hard tile floors (over concrete), and my feet, knees, and shins are sore after playing.  I'm thinking better/thicker insoles (or shoes) would help.  Any recommendations?  I found this insole web site with a quick Google search.  https://www.theinsolestore.com/sof-sole-athlete-performance-insoles.html
BFLY IF Layer ALC, Hurricane 3 Provincial, Tenergy T05
Sponsored Links

ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 12:28pm
Try Mizuno or Asics volleyball shoes. They tend to have good grip/stability and more cushion compared with TT shoes. I've used the Asics Gel Rocket and they worked well.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 12:29pm
I also have knee problem with Mizuno Wave Drive :(
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 12:36pm
https://www.drscholls.com/products/athletic-series/sports-insoles/

Available at Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2019 at 7:45pm
Thanks everyone.  I ordered these insoles "Sof Sole Airr Performance Insole" from the web site in first post.  They were light weight at 1.1 oz. -- many were 2 oz or so (I couldn't easily get the weight of the Dr. Scholls).     

The Asics Gel Rocket 9s are a good value at $55, Amazon and user recommended.  Asics are a bit pointier than I prefer.  While my foots a D Width, my toes are fairly wide.  The Mizuno's looked good, although the heel looked thick.  I like a low heal in both my table tennis and tennis shoes.  
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 11:52pm
CurrexSole is the best.  I tried Sof Sole and Superfeet.  Both are good, but CurrexSole is much better.
SPEEDY
Visaria ST
Tenergy 64 (FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2019 at 1:01am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

https://www.drscholls.com/products/athletic-series/sports-insoles/

Available at Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
I use that too; just remember to buy the shoes with 1/2 size bigger if you find the tt shoes are tight.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 7:58am
I love my knees ! I wear Asics Gel Rocket . 

The ninth version just came out .
Infinity VPS V
Tenergy 80
Tenergy 05
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2019 at 4:00pm
I used to play with mizuno tt shoes (tried all the popular ones), switching insoles didnt help me. Was still very sore after playing on even regular tt floors.

Ive been wearing Salming Viper 4 indoor court shoes and they are good for support and cushioning but the grip is not great on hardwood floors, on regular matted tt floors they are fine.

Just bought a pair of Asics Sky Elite FF and trying them out at home and they feel great in terms of cushioning, support and grip (more than my Viper 4).

I prefer low top indoor court shoes (squash, badminton, volleyball) over TT shoes. They offer way better support and cushioning without too much bulk like low top basketball or tennis shoes.

Timo Boll ALC ST 84g | 2x Spin Art 2.1
Samsonov Force Pro BE AN 82g | 2x Evolution MX-D 2.1
Clipper Legend FL 89g | H3 Neo Prov BS 2.15 + Aurus Select 2.1
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 11:23pm
I bought some Stiga Liner 2 shoes, and love them.  They have much more cushioning than my Mizuno Wave Drives, weight slightly more, have equal grip, and cost a lot less.  They're also Men's D-width (many TT shoes are too narrow for men)
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2020 at 11:51pm
Has anyone tried any of the Xiom shoes? They don't sell them here in Japan but I've been wanting to get a pair.
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2020 at 12:46am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Has anyone tried any of the Xiom shoes? They don't sell them here in Japan but I've been wanting to get a pair.

Get some quality yonex or victor badminton shoes. 

They are like TT shoes, but more durable, @nd better for harder impact etc. (badminton involves jumping).

Very high quality too. Victor a920 or 960 is very good, as is the more middle/higher end yonex shoes, but get the lines that support you.

Xiom footwork shoes are for young, thin players, with minimal support and get the benefit of being light. Not ideal for you in your situation.

Last benefit is badminton shoes are less prone to getting dusty :)

I had wave medal 5s (then i bought another pair after they ran their course), and then upgraded to wm6 when the 2nd pair of 5s ran its course after another 12 of 15 months.

Ive barely used the 6s as the victors A series is just so good. About as fast, more comfy and more support and cushioning than any tt shoe
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 8:50am
Thanks Basquests. I always get aftermarket insoles for my shoes, so there will be extra support there. I think I'm quite thin. Not so young anymore, though :(

I like the bright colour shoes they have. That's the main reason why I want one. The design :)

Hmm, I'll think about it.
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2020 at 10:20am
Hmm, i always play with Mizuno. I made the mistake to buy once Asics gel rocket. I was immediately disappointed because they are bulkier and heavier. My feets were always wet after 2 hours play and these problems are still nothing compairing with the smell they produce. Man, i thought i got fungal disease. LOLIn the washing machine a few times and still this smell come back after a couple of plays. Scary. Then i decide to return back to Mizuno and bought whatever was on promo and it was Wave Fang. Ohh what a reliefe. And no smell anymore Tongue. It was like swimming with boots against swimming with carbon fins. But yes, maybe heavy people need more support. 
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2020 at 6:01am
My first and only specialized tt shoes were the Mizuno Wave Medal 5. After playing with them for two months I developed so severe plantar fasciitis that now , 4 years later I still suffer. Damn  you Mizuno, was your reputation going to go down if you had mentioned that these shoes are NOT made for hard floors.

Edited by Kolev - 04/17/2020 at 6:04am
Rutis Power
FH: Baracuda
BH: VJ>07 Limber
NovaCell Off/S
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Omega 7 Pro
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

CurrexSole is the best.  I tried Sof Sole and Superfeet.  Both are good, but CurrexSole is much better.
   I just ordered a pair from Holobird for $50; pricier than others, so hopefully these work out
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

They are like TT shoes, but more durable, @nd better for harder impact etc. (badminton involves jumping).

Very high quality too. Victor a920 or 960 is very good, as is the more middle/higher end yonex shoes, but get the lines that support you.

Xiom footwork shoes are for young, thin players, with minimal support and get the benefit of being light. Not ideal for you in your situation.

I had wave medal 5s (then i bought another pair after they ran their course), and then upgraded to wm6 when the 2nd pair of 5s ran its course after another 12 of 15 months.

Ive barely used the 6s as the victors A series is just so good. About as fast, more comfy and more support and cushioning than any tt shoe

Thanks.  I saw some Victor A922s for sale, so I'm considering those.   I also want to check out Yonex 75th Power Cushion Aerus Z shoes at 250 gr., which they claim are the lightest badminton shoes out there; not sure about the toe box though (D-width shoe, with wider toes); local stores have very limited supplies of badminton shoes, and just Yonex
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 9:44pm
I used to get sore shins/knees, and was told more cushioning and padding was the way to go. 

After trying a bunch of these without seeing any improvement, I did the exact opposite... 

Went to zero drop shoes! No arch support, no cushioning! 

The result? No more knee or shins pain! I use the brand xeroshoes and don't plan on changing anytime soon! 
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2021 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

I used to get sore shins/knees, and was told more cushioning and padding was the way to go. 

After trying a bunch of these without seeing any improvement, I did the exact opposite... 

Went to zero drop shoes! No arch support, no cushioning! 

The result? No more knee or shins pain! I use the brand xeroshoes and don't plan on changing anytime soon! 
I like the zero-drop from heel to forefoot, light weight, and the wide toe box.  I'm a little concerned with the limited cushion.  Which model did you get -- Prio (7.6 oz.), 360 (9.2 oz), other?  Would you get the same model next time?
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 2:02am
The 360 is what they just released. It's a 'court' shoe, and has more lateral support. I've been using the HFS's since last year. The 360s feel better to me, and I've swapped to using those for playing ever since they arrived this week. 3 pairs! 

With the HFS style, you can fold the sole in half like a hot dog. With the 360, it's much stiffer (despite being very light) and won't bend over without tons of pressure. 

Edited by obesechopper - 08/20/2021 at 2:06am
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ClimbK2 ClimbK2 wrote:

Thanks.  I saw some Victor A922s for sale, so I'm considering those.   I also want to check out Yonex 75th Power Cushion Aerus Z shoes at 250 gr., which they claim are the lightest badminton shoes out there; not sure about the toe box though (D-width shoe, with wider toes); local stores have very limited supplies of badminton shoes, and just Yonex

The 75th anniversary models are the same as their non anniversary edition, just marked up a good 25 or so %.
If you like the aesthetic or limited edition go for it, otherwise yeah get the normal aerus Z if you want a super light shoe.

I went with the eclipsion Z as that's the heaviest and supportive end of yonexs high end shoes.

The 65z2 i can heavily recommend as well. They were the best court shoes i have ever worn, and about 13 of the top 20 men's singles players used them in badminton. They are in between the aerus and eclipsion in terms of support and weight, which was plenty enough for TT. Amazing lateral movement and fit which helped them stand out compared to any TT or badminton shoe I've used. Thus they felt weightless, i could move quicker in them than lighter shoes by weight, but also let the shoes take any impact from TT, whilst having an exact idea of where my feet are due to their fit and design excellence. The a920 or redesign a922 are good, but not in the same class by a long way.

I would keep using them, but an injury has forced me to seek out the most protective shoe available when i finally am able to play again.

Edited by Basquests - 08/20/2021 at 2:04pm
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 2:26pm
I use a Lezoline Mach shoe, and I have 2 Rifones new in a box, and for me they work rather well. I do use a Dr Scholl sport insole since all the foam insoles just crush and give no cushioning after. This Scholl insole doesn't crush and is really nice for about 10EUR in DM.

I guess badminton shoes are not the worst, but I don't like that they have higher soles, it can just enable more twist on the ankle which is exactly the thing you wanna avoid in table tennis.
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC 85g AN old version
FH: Mizuno Q5 2.1 black, 51g
BH: Rozena 2.1 red 46g
DHS No15 glue
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

I use a Lezoline Mach shoe, and I have 2 Rifones new in a box, and for me they work rather well. I do use a Dr Scholl sport insole since all the foam insoles just crush and give no cushioning after. This Scholl insole doesn't crush and is really nice for about 10EUR in DM.

I guess badminton shoes are not the worst, but I don't like that they have higher soles, it can just enable more twist on the ankle which is exactly the thing you wanna avoid in table tennis.

Badminton shoes in general have a lot more protection against rolled ankles than TT shoes.

There is a lot more competition for your business, and hence far more technology, investment and quality put into them.

Butterfly rifones are about the worst shoe I've seen for protection I've seen, especially at a high end price.

If you are only looking at the most minimal badminton shoes, that would perhaps explain your position, but TT shoes from my podiatrists opinion and general shoe tests anyone can do, are poor in every metric.

Edited by Basquests - 08/20/2021 at 9:31pm
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2021 at 6:29pm

Badminton shoes in general have a lot more protection against rolled ankles than TT shoes.

There is a lot more competition for your business, and hence far more technology, investment and quality put into them.

Butterfly rifones are about the worst shoe I've seen for protection I've seen, especially at a high end price.

If you are only looking at the most minimal badminton shoes, that would perhaps explain your position, but TT shoes from my podiatrists opinion and general shoe tests anyone can do, are poor in every metric.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I see a business opportunity for Yonex to make table tennis shoes.  As Basquests  said, their technology (arch support and overall construction) appears to dominate any Table Tennis shoe.  All they need to do is to lower the heel on their 65 Z2 model (I was told in both tennis and in table tennis, in line with Zwill's comment, a higher heel makes it harder to keep your weight balance forward).    
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by ClimbK2 ClimbK2 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I see a business opportunity for Yonex to make table tennis shoes.  As Basquests  said, their technology (arch support and overall construction) appears to dominate any Table Tennis shoe.  All they need to do is to lower the heel on their 65 Z2 model (I was told in both tennis and in table tennis, in line with Zwill's comment, a higher heel makes it harder to keep your weight balance forward).    

I really have no idea, about the heel thing, what i will say is that a higher heel than rifones or mizuno =/= a high heel.

There is a lot of cutting 45 degrees and lateral movement in badminton, and I'm positive there are ways they've minimized risks of ankle rolling in top end Yonex shoes, even if the heel is higher, by being better in other ways.

For example, the eclipsion 2 has a grey model which has a mid cut for ankle protection.

The grip is also a lot better, I've never even dipped my shoe in water, because the grip is a lot better. Dusty floors give me an advantage because it doesn't affect anything on my end.

Superior technology reduces or even eliminates trade-offs.

If you want a TT shoe from yonex, I'm sure aerus's lineup will suit. But i personally will never use it.

I very much agree on using insoles, or if you can justify it, orthotics.

Edited by Basquests - 08/21/2021 at 11:07pm
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 12:02pm
I ordered the attractive Black/Blue Yonex 65 Z2 Badminton shoes recommended by Basquests, from JoyBadminton, using the new customer discount code NewJoy15, and just received the CurrexSole insoles recommended by Speedy.  Xeroshoes 360, per obesechopper, was on backorder in the gorgeous blue color, so I'll probably get them in November with the next shipment.  

Paul from JoyBadminton told me the new superlight Yonex Aeris Z may be best for many table tennis players, because of their super-light weight (250 grams), thinner heel, and mesh construction.  He noted they're pointier and narrower than the 65Z 2s, which isn't as good for my foot shape.  

My hypothesis:
I'll like the Yonex shoes for practice, and my Stiga Liner 2s with the CurrexSoles best for tournaments.  I'll be happy with the Zeroshoes for matches and other non-table tennis activities.  

ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2021 at 1:46pm
obesechopper  I read several articles on the benefits of zero drop (from heel to forefoot) shoes which supports your experience with the Xeroshoes (I saw one podiatrist push back on the minimalist aspect of Xeroshoes).  They seem to be better for those with high arches rather than those with flat feet.  One article: https://www.correcttoes.com/foot-help/basketball-series-all-about-shoes-by-andrew-wojciechowski-nd/. ;  
Altra Solstice XT is the article's top-rated shoe, but the second generation shoe's not available until mid-October.    

Kuru QUANTUM look like excellent cross-trainers for those with foot issues or for heavier players
as they're podiatrist recommended, and only have an 8 mm heel-to-forefoot drop.  

The Asics Gel-Tactic-2, a top choice of squash players in the UK.  9.5 oz., and 10 mm heel drop.  Reasonable price.  The toe box doesn't look as tight as most Asics (important to me).  

I like Salming Hawk or Hawk II, despite durability concerns, because of otherwise good reviews, 7 mm heel drop, lots of mesh, and they look very cool.  Their Kobra (beefier) and Viper (ligher) are their other, less cool options.    

Basquests - Thanks for your recommendation and insights.  I bought the Yonex 65 Z2s, wore them on my carpet, and unfortunately will return them.  While they look great and are comfortable with excellent arch support, they're a little short on mesh, and the heel is much too thick for me.  This thickness noticeably hurts my ability to keep my weight on my forefeet, and off my heels.  

WayneEmby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayneEmby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 5:51am
I was facing shin splints pain from almost 5 years but then I realized that I should replace my pair of shoes to the ones that are more comfortable. I purchased shoes from specialized website that providing detailed review of all shin splints shoes. Those are top rated and top reviewed shoes which ease for me to pick one best suitable for me. For your reference I am placing link of that website in case if any one need help to understand shoe details.
Flexbex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flexbex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2021 at 6:56am
Has anyone tried any of the Xiom shoes?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic