Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ITTF Nigeria Open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ITTF Nigeria Open
    Posted: 08/12/2019 at 6:21pm
I understand that the vast majority of top players were not at this event, but I wonder why there seems to be absolutely no interest in it on this (and other) forum(s). Watching some of the matches, the crowd was fantastic. If we could just have half of the enthusiasm of what the crowd there showed at other events, it would be a tremendous step up. Is it because basically no asian players attended that the interest is not present here? Just curious.

Congrats to Quadri Aruna on another title.

purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 7:17pm
I think the reason is obvious, why are you even asking? 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 8:53pm
I watched it live.  Bet NextLevel watched it too.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

I understand that the vast majority of top players were not at this event, but I wonder why there seems to be absolutely no interest in it on this (and other) forum(s). Watching some of the matches, the crowd was fantastic. If we could just have half of the enthusiasm of what the crowd there showed at other events, it would be a tremendous step up. Is it because basically no asian players attended that the interest is not present here? Just curious.

This is mostly a North American forum, and the Pan Am Games were a little more important than some Challenge event on another continent.

Congrats to Quadri - but why don't you mention the women's winner too? Just curious.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

Clearly the reason isn't obvious to me, otherwise I wouldn't ask. What is this obvious reason I'm missing?
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

This is mostly a North American forum, and the Pan Am Games were a little more important than some Challenge event on another continent.

Congrats to Quadri - but why don't you mention the women's winner too? Just curious.

Fair enough with the Pan Am Games - I forgot to consider that. As for the women's winner... yikes, I have to be honest, I tend to not really follow a lot of women's table tennis. I never really have. Not due to some sexist conviction, I just never really have. Perhaps because I'm male myself, so I've always only focused on the male section. I never really follow any doubles or mix doubles either. Kind of narrow-minded, I suppose. So, in short, I couldn't even tell you who won the Women's singles (or any doubles) at the Nigeria Open. Sorry.

Edited by Pondus - 08/12/2019 at 11:14pm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Didn't you think the crowd was awesome too? I think that was the thing that really stood out to me. Especially during QA's matches, naturally.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 11:42pm

Fair enough with the Pan Am Games - I forgot to consider that. As for the women's winner... yikes, I have to be honest, I tend to not really follow a lot of women's table tennis. I never really have. Not due to some sexist conviction, I just never really have. Perhaps because I'm male myself, so I've always only focused on the male section. I never really follow any doubles or mix doubles either. Kind of narrow-minded, I suppose. So, in short, I couldn't even tell you who won the Women's singles (or any doubles) at the Nigeria Open. Sorry.

That's OK, you're not alone... I had read (on another forum) that the women's final was actually quite exciting, 4-3 after 0-3. And when do you see a modern defender win an ITTF event these days? So check it out. Mikhailova vs Noskova.

Edited by amateur - 08/12/2019 at 11:48pm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 12:03am

That's OK, you're not alone... I had read (on another forum) that the women's final was actually quite exciting, 4-3 after 0-3. And when do you see a modern defender win an ITTF event these days? So check it out. Mikhailova vs Noskova.

Sounds good - I'll check it out. Thanks. :)
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 1:22am
This is always an absolutely brilliant event to watch, the crowd really makes it. I recommend everyone check out both the men's and women's finals.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:02am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

You bet.  To be fair, this is the first time I felt the streaming was 100% reliable.  A great job by the organizers this year and I suspect they will get more players next year if they keep this up.

The crowd really helped Quadri, all his opponents played two foes to their detriment
  I am 95% sure that Lauren Devos would have beaten Quadri had the crowd not been around.  Though to be fair, Quadri made a more stunning comeback against a Japanese junior a couple of years ago.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:34am

Clearly the reason isn't obvious to me, otherwise I wouldn't ask. What is this obvious reason I'm missing?

low level event. no top players
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I see, so you are saying that Quadri is not a top player. I see what you are trying to insinuate.

>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.

Currently testing; Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05. Update; T05 on BH is impressive when all is right,but D05 wins more points

Delusion is an asset
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

I see, so you are saying that Quadri is not a top player. I see what you are trying to insinuate.

what he won except Nigeria Open?
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 2:37am
It's not a low levent event, maybe an event with even  poorer reward prizes
Rosewood V FL

Thibar EL-P MAX FH

Rozena MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 3:45am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The crowd really helped Quadri, all his opponents played two foes to their detriment
  I am 95% sure that Lauren Devos would have beaten Quadri had the crowd not been around. 

So what do you suggest ? Hold the Nigerian Open in Bolivia ? 

And I am 200% sure Lauren would have beaten Quadri in Lauren's home country 
So what is your point ? At least Quadri won in his home country 

In most sports home team or player has a good chance of winning.

What would you say if Quadri had not won ? OMG he cannot even win on his own soil ? LOL 

dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 3:55am

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

what he won except Nigeria Open?

Piligrim does not like Quadri for obvious reasons

2016 Rio Olympics :- In the second round, Aruna played number 5 seed Chuang Chih-yuan. Chuang grew repeatedly frustrated as the match went on, uncharacteristically missing his signature forehand attacks and was at a loss against Aruna's unorthodox style. Aruna defeated Chaung in arguably the biggest upset of the tournament without losing a single set (4-0). In the third round, Aruna faced world renowned German player, Timo Boll. Remarkably, Aruna defeated Boll (4-2), earning him a spot in the Quarter Finals.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 3:24pm
Quadri's been reading this thread LOLLOLLOL
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2019 at 10:18am
Quadri is a great player and has already solidified his legendary status as Africa's greatest table tennis player to date. His style is rugged and unorthodox yet extremely effective.  

He won the Nigerian Open twice and I think he also won the Polish Open. Yes, they are challenger events, but, still a professional table tennis tournament nonetheless. 

I also give him props for maintaining a good world ranking by making his presence felt in a good number of ittf tournaments. A few semi and quarter finals,  a few round of 16's. 

who no know go know
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2019 at 10:45am
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Quadri is a great player and has already solidified his legendary status as Africa's greatest table tennis player to date. His style is rugged and unorthodox yet extremely effective.  

He won the Nigerian Open twice and I think he also won the Polish Open. Yes, they are challenger events, but, still a professional table tennis tournament nonetheless. 

I also give him props for maintaining a good world ranking by making his presence felt in a good number of ittf tournaments. A few semi and quarter finals,  a few round of 16's. 

Indeed.  He beat two top 20 players in this tournament alone and gave a strong effort against a CNT player.  He has such a powerful forehand though I'm surprised he doesn't have back and shoulder problems from such an unorthodox stroke.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Indeed.  He beat two top 20 players in this tournament alone and gave a strong effort against a CNT player.  He has such a powerful forehand though I'm surprised he doesn't have back and shoulder problems from such an unorthodox stroke.

Try the stroke sometime and explain why it should give you back and shoulder problems.  It is really just an exaggerated use of the non-racket arm to power the rotation, but people act like it is something alien.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 45
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Try the stroke sometime and explain why it should give you back and shoulder problems.  It is really just an exaggerated use of the non-racket arm to power the rotation, but people act like it is something alien.  
He's fine when his stroke ends forward. But there are times when his elbow goes above his head.  Of course, he's a thousand times the athlete I am.

Finishing forehand to win point (may need to pause near end of pt. and go frame by frame):

Parallel and then cross court forehands:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic