Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USATT Happenings-Board member removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Without cause doesn't mean there wasn't a cause, it means the cause has not, and probably will not be disclosed.  There might be some privacy rule that says it can't be disclosed.  

Then they would just say closed session personnel matters if there was a cause.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 10:57pm
Yesterday's board meeting was postponed until next Monday and amended:

"The purpose of the meeting has also been amended. The new purpose is to hold a vote, pursuant to Bylaw 7.13, to determine whether to remove Rajul Sheth from the Board, “for cause,” in violation of one or more of the following:
1. USA Table Tennis Board of Directors Code of Ethics
2. USA Table Tennis Board Code of Conduct
3. USA Table Tennis Board Social Media Policy
4. USA Table Tennis Statement of Principles – Ethical Behavior and Conflict of Interest"

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Yesterday's board meeting was postponed until next Monday and amended:

"The purpose of the meeting has also been amended. The new purpose is to hold a vote, pursuant to Bylaw 7.13, to determine whether to remove Rajul Sheth from the Board, “for cause,” in violation of one or more of the following:
1. USA Table Tennis Board of Directors Code of Ethics
2. USA Table Tennis Board Code of Conduct
3. USA Table Tennis Board Social Media Policy
4. USA Table Tennis Statement of Principles – Ethical Behavior and Conflict of Interest"

Let me guess - he posted something critical of the board on FB, Twitter, or a forum? 
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 3:17pm
I think it could be telling to look at the current proposed bylaw changes:
  1. All topics, subjects, and materials discussed in Executive Session or communication following-up on an Executive Session, including documents, emails, notes, verbal communications, written communications, electronic communications, or other  communication methods and materials (collectively the “Confidential Material”) are personal and confidential among Board members and Special Participants only. Board members and Special Participants shall not discuss, forward, send or otherwise communicate such Confidential Material with any person, organization, company, agency, governing body, or entity other than USATT Board members and Special Participants.
  2. Any breach or violation of the above subsection shall result in the possible termination of a Board member “for cause” from the USATT Board, per the provisions of Section 7.13; the possible termination of a Special Participant’s USATT membership, per the provisions of Section 5.4; Special Participants’ termination of employment from USATT  and/or legal action against those who are not members of USATT, per the legal system of the United States of America and the lesser included jurisdictions.
I have not asked Rajul about this. But, here is a guess. The board chair did some things in executive session that Rajul opposed or exposed. So she is now coming after him.

I wonder if whilstleblower act could come into play? :

UnLooped View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnLooped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 3:24pm
Where does 1dennisTT stand on all this ?

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 3:49pm
OK, I am thinking about this some more. Here are some more things that we know.

1) The bylaws say it is the CEO who should be handling the HPD contract.
2) During the time when there was no CEO, a new HPD contract was signed.
3) A search of the USATT minutes does not contain any vote on a new HPD contract.
4) Since we cant see it. This must have been put together in a closed executive session.
5) If the board chair signed a new contract representing USATT, she violated USATT bylaws.
6) If Rajul challenged the above, he would be challenging activities that took place in a closed executive session.

So I think it is likely Anne plans to come after Rajul for exposing what she did in closed session.

Edited by alphapong - 09/25/2019 at 3:56pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 3:49pm
It's been this same old story at USATT going back to when I first rejoined 15 years ago and people were complaining about Sheri (sherry?)  It just never ends.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

OK, I am thinking about this some more. Here are some more things that we know.

1) The bylaws say it is the CEO who should be handling the HPD contract.
2) During the time when there was no CEO, a new HPD contract was signed.
3) A search of the USATT minutes does not contain any vote on a new HPD contract.
4) Since we cant see it. This must have been put together in a closed executive session.
5) If the board chair signed a new contract representing USATT, she violated USATT bylaws.
6) If Rajul challenged the above, he would be challenging activities that took place in a closed executive session.

So I think it is likely Anne plans to come after Rajul for exposing what she did in closed session.

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 7:50pm

That was his original hire. Before Joerg resigned he got a new contract.

Edited by alphapong - 09/25/2019 at 7:54pm
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 8:57pm
now we need to get rid of gribbs
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
UnLooped View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnLooped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 9:56pm
I am new here & to ping tennis,  but why was the old method of the USATT (or previous USTTA) members electing the President , Vice-Presidents, Members etc discontinued ? Is that because USOC wanted it the current way ? 
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 10:09pm
I don't have the exact date, but around 20 years ago USATT (USTT at that time) got in such bad shape that USOC had to intervene. I believe the current structure has it's origins in that intervention.

I would have to say that the current structure has an inherent weakness in that the membership is underrepresented. 

A number of the board members have very little knowledge of table tennis, and don't really care what the will of the membership is.

Edited by alphapong - 09/25/2019 at 11:14pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 11:02pm

That was his original hire. Before Joerg resigned he got a new contract.

Oh okay, didn't know about the new contract.

I read your exchange with Matt H., and with all due respect, it's not uncommon for organizations to not immediately announce a resignation of a top official.  If I recall that was near the time when there were plans in place for the CNT to do a ping pong diplomacy visit so perhaps USATT had to consider the optics.  Perhaps Sean was not ready to agree to be the interim HPD.  Perhaps they were not ready to initiate an HPD search.  So not immediately announcing a resignation doesn't necessarily mean there's anything nefarious going on.  It's reasonable that USATT would want to have its ducks in a row so to speak before publicly announcing anything.

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 09/25/2019 at 11:02pm
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 11:26pm

So not immediately announcing a resignation doesn't necessarily mean there's anything nefarious going on.

Agreed. What I do have a problem with is all the shenanigans going on behind the scenes, that I outlined in my letter to the board chair.

I also think it was highly inappropriate for someone to direct Matt to post misleading statements as a response to my post that Joerg had resigned.

BTW, you can't see it in the exchange posted here on MyTT, but I did tell Matt, "I really appreciate your work at USATT and realize you are only posting what they ask you to.".

It is possible, and perhaps even probable, that Matt had zero knowledge of the resignation.
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 5:48am
The USOC has taken over the governance structure of USATT.
 Being under the Olympic umbrella has only caused problems for USATT.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2019 at 1:51am
As an outsider my question would be how is this going to affect the player selection for the upcoming Olympics? I mean, is the rationale gonna change or are they going to implement new criteria? It's kinda late in the game for these changes I think.

FdT
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 1:45pm
I have since heard a few birds chirp that the attempted removal of the at large board member is entirely justified...

Yet... WHY would the board chair go about it the way of WITHOUT CAUSE when they felt there was cause?

Does this CAUSE the USATT membership the think something of the board and the leadership? Pun intended.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 1:53pm
What exactly is the goal of the usatt?  To increase membership?  To do better in ittf events?  Do they have a mission statement?

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

What exactly is the goal of the usatt?  To increase membership?  To do better in ittf events?  Do they have a mission statement?

Interesting question.  I couldn't google up one for usatt, but the usoc mission statement is:
Mission Statement: Empower Team USA athletes to achieve competitive excellence and inspire our nation.

So probably usatt's even if unwritten is to do that in table tennis.  Completely wrong idea for a participation sport, but that does seem to be where usatt puts its efforts.

In contrast USTA's is
MISSION: TO PROMOTE AND DEVELOP THE GROWTH OF TENNIS.

Much more appropriate for table tennis.  If that were usatt's MISSION: TO PROMOTE AND DEVELOP THE GROWTH OF TABLE TENNIS. how would it change its operation to accomplish the mission?

What makes table tennis grow in the US? 

To me it would be supporting new clubs, including for-profit clubs.  And working to get TT into more schools. 

That doesn't seem to be where usatt's head is at right now.

Edited by BRS - 09/30/2019 at 2:45pm
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 3:11pm
USATT Mission Statements.

Previous: The Mission of the USATT shall be to enable United States athletes to achieve sustained competitive excellence in Olympic/Paralympic, Pan American or Para Pan American Games, and other international competitions, and to promote and grow the sport of Table Tennis in the United States, while creating a lasting value for our members.

Current: The mission of USATT is to support, grow and inspire the table tennis community, and to provide resources that enable athletes to achieve sustained competitive excellence and pursue Olympic and Paralympic success.

You can draw your own conclusions as to what changed.

Edited by jfolsen - 09/30/2019 at 3:12pm
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 10:39pm

Bruce, Ed, Tara, Gary,  Carolyne, Deepak, Erica,

I am writing to you concerning the board meeting scheduled for today Monday 9/30/19.

Surely you are aware, that if Rajul is removed from the board, this is going to lead to a major blow up, and costly legal battle.

Many people will see this as a retaliatory action on Anne’s part. If Anne is going after Rajul for “blowing the whistle” on her behavior, then he may find protection under the 1989 whistle blower act.  In 2014 the supreme court extended it’s coverage beyond that of federal employees.

If Rajul is removed, most likely USATT will not continue to operate for long under it’s current structure. I would say chances are 90% that USOPC will intervene. Bruce and Rajul are the only two board members elected by the membership. Even if USOPC does not intervene, many clubs will begin pulling out in order to form another association, as we do not believe that the current association has been representing our interests. You should keep in mind that anger has been growing for some time now.

Remember that each of the final candidates in the last at-large director election ran on the same message. They all committed to opposing the agenda of the HPD. If you remove Rajul,  he will only be replaced with another like minded individual. Those elected by the membership are obligated to represent the interests of the membership. Unfortunately membership is getting the feeling that others on the board don’t care at all about what is important to membership. This was made clear when 90% of the membership polled demanded fair team trials, and this was ignored.

I have read the board minutes, and see all the items related to keeping executive sessions secret.  Membership does not like secrecy. The organization can’t survive if you go down this path that Anne has devised.

If you think I am writing this because Rajul is my buddy, you are mistaken. He is my competitor, and I am no big fan of ICC. I am writing this because I think he represents the interests of membership, and his removal will be a very costly to USATT as an organization.

Choose wisely today. If you vote to remove Rajul, you are essentially voting for your own removal as well, as the current board will likely soon cease to exist.

Sincerely,

Dave Hanson

Director Alameda Table Tennis Club

Edited by alphapong - 09/30/2019 at 10:46pm
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 10:47pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 12:03am
Since we (or I) don't know what the problem is with Rajul, we should wait and see what happens.  Threatening the board with action on the part of membership or clubs is very premature.  What if Rajul did something very bad, would you still support him?

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:17am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Since we (or I) don't know what the problem is with Rajul, we should wait and see what happens.  Threatening the board with action on the part of membership or clubs is very premature.  What if Rajul did something very bad, would you still support him?

I think possibly I did not explain very well.

1) Since I don't have any capability to deliver any of the possibilities I describe, my statement was not a threat. It was more like a heads up on likely outcomes based on the information I have. 

2) What I have described would not be a knee jerk reaction to anything that takes place with Rajul. Things have been brewing for some time. When 90% of the membership polled said, "We want fair team trials." and USATT responded with "Too bad.", that and other things set the ball rolling. Already the clubs  and membership have become energized to take steps to effect change. With the arrival of Virginia and the departure of Joerg it looked like USATT was getting back on track. But, if the chair starts going after the two elected board members, it could simply be the straw that broke the camels back. It's actually pretty simple: If the clubs and athletes don't feel like their national organization is representing them, it is only logical that they would form an organization that will.

XiaShu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XiaShu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:29am

, many clubs will begin pulling out in order to form another association,

Fantastic idea not for just USA only, but a worldwide association especially with modified rules for non-professional players with their own rating system such as you folks have out there across the pond from me in USA & Canada
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2019 at 12:00am
From back in the days of about.com forum even the tall ex-pro JB BH smack-um hailing from Texas was clamoring for a new organization representing the interests of membership...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

It's like hitler complaining about starlin. (And yes, he is the Hilter in this metaphor, the worst of the two)

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Hunkeelin now has 30 days to reflect.  After that future bad behaviorvwill lead to a permanent ban.  

[QUOTE=hunkeelin]
How sad. Please grow up! If you move on, I will not need to remind people of the ridiculous things you have done in the past, and what it is that motivates you to say the things you do.

Wow, I wish I could say I was surprised but I have the feeling that this kid is "special".  Comparing a forum member to someone that tried to annihilate millions of people? Really? Maybe the ADL would be interested in giving a WW2 history lesson.

Hunkeelin, I can see that you are heading down the wrong path.  I know you are currently suspended but you have issues.  If you need anyone to talk to, please call 605-475-six nine six eight.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 2:40pm
Sure the removal is/was a done deal, never saw anything on USATT though...
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 3:42pm
What did Rajul do? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 3:49pm
Reminds me that hunkeelin's 30 days are up so his account is active again.  

Next offense is a permanent ban.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic