FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

LA Open 2019 Results and Live videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2019 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Our Sacramento Area 11 yr old AKUL was rated just under 1900 this tourney and faced a 1300s player in U12 and that kid tore right through AKUL... no chance - handled every shot AKUL gave him. That rating was easily not a true representation of that kid's level, but since this was an age event, rating true or not, you face who is in front of you under 12 yrs old and you gotta handle business, better player or not, under-rated or not.

That was one example of a not so accurately classified player - it happens and more frequently with rapidly growing kids.

That was Bosman. He was 1451, but lost points at nationals. He is from the South Bay, but I am not sure what club. He lost to my student Jayden 7,5,8 in the final, but Jayden is 2063.

Play styles and individual skills vs certain players can play a huge factor in any player vs player matchup... That sometimes makes for some interesting matches and results.

AKUL lost to Bosman and I saw most of the match, AKUL could not play the typical bang-bang kind of junior game vs Bosman... then when he tried to play a softer, light spin and sidespin touch game, Bosman handled that too. He disarmed AKUL and totally deserved the result - it was obvious to anyone... Bosman was not "Lucky" in that match or on the good side of some breaks, Bosman simply gave AKUL the business in that one. I am glad that happened, AKUL needs to experience losses like that to leverage his competitive nature to grow his game to address this kind of play in the future.

From a competitor's standpoint, you face who is in front of you and do you best to defeat the player, ratings be damned - the ratings are not playing the shots - a player is.

I would say that a player who could rule vs a legit fairly rated near Cal 1900 level player is easily severely under-rated at whatever his 1300 or whatever rating he had. That is the only point - not properly classified - this happens a lot with developing junior players.

I also get it that juniors can sometimes have some wildly fluctuating results.

That said, AKUL lost in 5 games in the very last at deuce or 11-9 vs Jayden in another cross-over matchup at the LA Open. Those two players were pretty much evenly matched and a close match could be a very normal result. So could a lopsided win if the matchups was right.

Bosman ended up in the 1500"s.  His match with Akul had to be a great style match up for him.  He ended up with a 1500+ rating.  Akul was his only great win.  He didn't beat any other player over 1600 and lost to the only two 1600 players he played.  He also lost to a 1200+ player in what had to be a bad style match up for him.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2019 at 11:26pm
AKUL isn't gunna keel over 'cause he lost that match bad... he is a Soldier and will improve again. I might not ever catch up to him once 2021 kicks in.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 1:40am

AKUL isn't gunna keel over 'cause he lost that match bad... he is a Soldier and will improve again. I might not ever catch up to him once 2021 kicks in.

He's a great kid and player.  He may pass you before 2021.  Don't look over your shoulder, his mother may also pass you.  She's gone from 1400-1800 in a year.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 2:13am
I already know it with AKUL, one year is gunna do it for him.

His mother can still improve with the way she plays. She has the potential to eventually get to 2000 level playing the way she does. Players over 2000 have the consistency and decision making and tactical intelligence to not fall into her trap patterns.

Having said that, if AKUL mom were to learn a FH loop and a BH loop vs a dead ball and an underspin, she could be a 2200 level holy terror nightmare Friday 13th with enough training and experience.

As it is, she thoroughly frustrates the table 3 crowd in local league. That crowd is filled with 1600 to 1800 level offensive wannabees... but that crowd is at that level mostly because of their inconsistency on offense. AKUL mom just feeds off that inconsistency. She blocks awkwardly, but the ball lands, wannabe player eyes get big and go macho man attack, but doesn't have what they thought or they are not macho enough to make a heavy enough topspin to land the ball after smacking into it with 130% of their power.

There is a growing crowd of extremely frustrated players who are pulling out their hair and worse after losing to her. I ought to start giving anti-AKUL mom lessons to this crowd... then continue to give AKUL mom pointers on how to handle that crowd.

All I have consistently told her is that at her table 3 level, all she needs to do is get to the ball, block it off bounce with a soft hand and keep it on the table... maybe finish an easy high ball. I tell her that players at 1800 level are not god enough to attack the ball 3 times in a row more than a few times a night vs her... and that is pretty much true. Once she starts to get to the upper table 2 and lower table 1 level, what she does will not work at all... at least not enough to win until she does a few things more.

She cannot handle extreme heavy spin and she does not get to well struck balls going away from her. Still, it takes an ability to setup that shot and make it... that table 3 crowd and lower table 2 crowd do not have the heavy spin of ability to setup and finish away from her without pissing away too many points.

The situation at Sitta TTC with her in league is so hilarious. Her is AKUL mom, doing absolutely nothing menacing or athletic, just standing at the table gripping the bat not like everyone, then sticking out the arm and bat awkwardly... her FH attack is so bio-mechanically wrong it would reduce a physio into tears...

Yet time and time again, she wins vs the attacking players who think they can just wildly swing at every ball without knowing what is on the ball or being in an optimal position and expect their shots to land and win vs her.

This crowd complains so loud that her un-athletic looking game and he medium pips or whatever are table 5 stuff... and these big shot attackers lose and gnash their teeth so bad and wanna win vs her SO BAD it hurts their egos and they wanna improve and win vs her... but they do not take lessons and have a coach help them overcome what is keeping them on table 3.

For the record, mts plays a lot like I would want to see AKUL mom play... mts can punish you on attack if you try to play safe and decline a blind attack... mts has much better serves than AKUL mom... mts wants you to hang urself... but mts doesn't have her position at table, her off the bounce touch, and mts is very streaky with his FH. I have a loss vs him in official tourney before.

Edited by BH-Man - 09/08/2019 at 2:24am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic