FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why no old-age events at US Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 2:42am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

USATT funding relative to their current structure is the issue which has not been solved to date by having age driven tournament brackets at the Open. USATT cannot do it all and needs to adjust its organizational activities to reflect its current funding.

How do you propose to replace the loss of revenue gained from dropping the senior players from the Open?   I've probably paid around $5,000 to play in the Nationals and Open in the past, and taken out less than $50 in the cost of trophies and certificates.  Who's going to put in that money when I, and others like me no longer participate?

I would significantly reduce, change eliminate the current activities of USATT developing Elite players including staff, HPD, super camps, National team etc along with facilities related to those activities, as a beginning.
Unfortunately, you're missing the reality of USATT here.

As an organization, USATT is primarily funded by USOC.  Under direction from USOC, their main goal is to produce Olympic athletes, and that, in turn, means focusing on elite players, super camps, and all those things you suggest dropping.  They only tolerate us ordinary players as a necessary evil.  This is why USATT has no made particular effort on promoting clubs or popularizing the sport for the general public.  The money isn't their for us -- it's for those elites.

On the other hand, as has now been pointed out by various people (including me), USOC is not going to fund the Open division of the US Open or the Nationals.  So if you want those events, then you need to include all those other events that draw in the money-paying club-playing public, such as you and me.

The system works the way it does because of the way it's financed.  You want to change that? Get us a big corporate sponsor that doesn't answer to USOC.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 2:51am

USATT funding relative to their current structure is the issue which has not been solved to date by having age driven tournament brackets at the Open. USATT cannot do it all and needs to adjust its organizational activities to reflect its current funding.

True, largest issue is funding and operations. What to do with the little tiny funding... and a large chunk of that goes to the CEO pay/benefits and travel expenses... not a lot left to really do anything and since there wasn't much there to begin with, a mission impossible with those numbers. They are not gunna be able to cut costs a lot more, so income gotta go up.

If USATT is not gunna get any money from the govt or the USOC/OIC, then it would behoove them to hire a real marketer and pay them a percentage of gross revenues above a certain threshold... even if that is significantly more than what the CEO makes.

That would be a good start.

Anything USATT does in spending decisions isn't gunna be able to do much until the problem of income is resolved... and that is a very long running unresolved issue.

The continual influx of foreigners into concentrated population centers and establishment/growth of successful full time training centers is propping up the USA TT growth and USATT...

I bet the Bay Area alone if they wanted to band together, share resources and run the kind of training USATT wants to do and cycle it among the clubs there would be 10x more quality and productive than what USATT is doing. As it is, independently within each of their clubs they are doing bang up job...

Edited by BH-Man - 09/08/2019 at 2:52am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

How do you propose to replace the loss of revenue gained from dropping the senior players from the Open?   I've probably paid around $5,000 to play in the Nationals and Open in the past, and taken out less than $50 in the cost of trophies and certificates.  Who's going to put in that money when I, and others like me no longer participate?

I would significantly reduce, change eliminate the current activities of USATT developing Elite players including staff, HPD, super camps, National team etc along with facilities related to those activities, as a beginning.

Unfortunately, you're missing the reality of USATT here.

As an organization, USATT is primarily funded by USOC.  Under direction from USOC, their main goal is to produce Olympic athletes, and that, in turn, means focusing on elite players, super camps, and all those things you suggest dropping.  They only tolerate us ordinary players as a necessary evil.  This is why USATT has no made particular effort on promoting clubs or popularizing the sport for the general public.  The money isn't their for us -- it's for those elites.

On the other hand, as has now been pointed out by various people (including me), USOC is not going to fund the Open division of the US Open or the Nationals.  So if you want those events, then you need to include all those other events that draw in the money-paying club-playing public, such as you and me.

The system works the way it does because of the way it's financed.  You want to change that? Get us a big corporate sponsor that doesn't answer to USOC.

Current system could easily be modified to be competition driven with USATT sponsoring competitions every two to four years for slots on Olympic and international team competitions. Its clear that local clubs are capable of creating so called elite players without any help from USATT. The basic building block for increasing TT player population is via local club development. The system needs to reflect a ground up point of view vs a top down structure.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 2:19pm

Current system could easily be modified to be competition driven with USATT sponsoring competitions every two to four years for slots on Olympic and international team competitions. Its clear that local clubs are capable of creating so called elite players without any help from USATT. The basic building block for increasing TT player population is via local club development. The system needs to reflect a ground up point of view vs a top down structure.

Now you're getting closer to what would be better.  There are those, myself included, who have been advocating a ground up approach for years.  Sadly, that is unlikely to happen.  The link to USOC is too deep and they will never support anything other than top down.  You could argue that the time has come for a new organization to replace (or augment) USATT, but that route has problems too.  The reason USATT got in bed with USOC to begin with was because the politics in USATT was so poisonous.  Look how bitterly people fight on this forum and imagine this playing out with the leaders of American table tennis. Table tennis seems doomed to remain a niche sport in USA.
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 3:26pm
I usually like to play rated hardbat events when I go to either the Nationals or the Open. Rated Hardbat events such as U-1500, U-1700 get my money and usually end up in the hotel a couple of extra nights as a result (not to mention restaurants). This year if I decide to go to the Open I have no desire to be target practice for players rated 500+ points higher in the Hardbat Open. Thus I will just go for a couple of regular table tennis events and then fly home. They are not getting 7 events worth of fees from me.
CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic