FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dan Seemiller for USA Olympians 2020 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dan Seemiller for USA Olympians 2020 ?
    Posted: 09/08/2019 at 8:32pm
Dan Seemiller for USA Olympians 2020.   Why not?

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 8:49pm
Go, coach. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 9:04pm
show it off to those pingsters, pongistas and ttssimos! thank you for the energy you want to throw at them, that's love of the game at its best through indirect encouragements to the youth, I hope they catch the sacred spirit, what you have done for the game and the country and that you want to pass on. I am verbose yet speechless, it's so beautiful.
Decin_Nebo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decin_Nebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 10:14pm
I read in Chester Barne's book that, in his prime Dan Seemiller had the fastest loop in the world along with Hasegawa, the  1967 World Champion , also with a modified grip.

I also heard Dan Seemiller was drafted by Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team as a pitcher.

It is like the athlete Dan Seemiller & artist Eric Boggan but I wonder if Dan has Eric's touch to pull it off in the modern game using anti. I have seen Dan chop off the table very well when caught out of position but I don't think it will work with anti these days.

So IMHO may be Dan will be better off with long pips on the off side ?  It may take him a month or two at worst to adjust but not 200 years like it would take for an amatuer 1400 schmuck like me. My feeling is that current young attacking players will slaughter anti like it is nothing, even the crazy Dr.Neubauer like anti rubbers. I doubt if even Eric would have any luck , though Eric & Dan play sort of different styles with Dan depending on his powerful loops & Eric with his backhand block etc

Unless of course if Dan feels using long pips is below him (I doubt he is) because there are many players in this sport who think their racket is holier than everyone elses.

Even if he does not make it, I can see him being a spoiler for some poor player who cannot handle Dan's style.

If he makes it, he will be the oldest athlete at Olympics I am pretty sure.

I saw this crazy match at US Open 2006 where Dr.Neubauer had India #2  Roy (or something,  easily 2700 )  down 2-0 like (11-2 & 11-3) before Roy adjusted and won the match , So anything is possible (for a much higher level champion like Dan)

Edited by Decin_Nebo - 09/08/2019 at 10:21pm
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 10:31pm
Very inspirational.  Best of luck, Coach Seemiller.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 2:22am
It took until nearly 1:00 of the vid for me to know his main point.

The main point should be communicated clearly very early on.

He started with all the supporting points, doing that for a full minute makes someone watching the vid not know if the vid is to sell something or announce something.

if the main point is communicated within the first 10 seconds, all the key supporting points would be more valuable.

That said, Dan has been around and done a lot, (a lot more than 10x of me) he deserves a shot to train up. Let's follow this.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 7:51am
His GoFundMe page...Good Luck Dannyboy :)

"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling" 

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/09/2019 at 7:54am
*sigh*
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 8:07am
With all respect but this is ridiculous
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 6:11pm
Go for it! May the best player win the trials.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 7:46pm
really the most talented we have
shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by bars bars wrote:

really the most talented we have
Yeah of course in the 70s though. Now, we have a kid named Kanak and another called Nikhil. You should look them up.[Just a word of caution, they look like they are from India but don't judge they were born here in the USofA, just like Danny.]
~shaks
Usatt 2150

FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:20pm
I think it cool, why do only kids get help...just because we get older does not mean that we have to lay down and let life go by just so we can enjoy sports when we are young, if you are able to beat people then I say go for it and don't let age be the deciding factor or the opinions of others...
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Go for it! May the best player win the trials.

Exactly - true meritocracy.
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Decin_Nebo Decin_Nebo wrote:

I read in Chester Barne's book that, in his prime Dan Seemiller had the fastest loop in the world along with Hasegawa, the  1967 World Champion , also with a modified grip.

I also heard Dan Seemiller was drafted by Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team as a pitcher.

It is like the athlete Dan Seemiller & artist Eric Boggan but I wonder if Dan has Eric's touch to pull it off in the modern game using anti. I have seen Dan chop off the table very well when caught out of position but I don't think it will work with anti these days.

So IMHO may be Dan will be better off with long pips on the off side ?  It may take him a month or two at worst to adjust but not 200 years like it would take for an amatuer 1400 schmuck like me. My feeling is that current young attacking players will slaughter anti like it is nothing, even the crazy Dr.Neubauer like anti rubbers. I doubt if even Eric would have any luck , though Eric & Dan play sort of different styles with Dan depending on his powerful loops & Eric with his backhand block etc

Unless of course if Dan feels using long pips is below him (I doubt he is) because there are many players in this sport who think their racket is holier than everyone elses.

Even if he does not make it, I can see him being a spoiler for some poor player who cannot handle Dan's style.

If he makes it, he will be the oldest athlete at Olympics I am pretty sure.

I saw this crazy match at US Open 2006 where Dr.Neubauer had India #2  Roy (or something,  easily 2700 )  down 2-0 like (11-2 & 11-3) before Roy adjusted and won the match , So anything is possible (for a much higher level champion like Dan)

I played Danny a few times in the 70s.  I have no idea if it was the hardest loop in the world at that time (hard to measure) but it sure felt like it!  If you misjudged the spin off his anti and played a little too safe you would pay the price when he stepped around and ripped it.  I always managed to get 10 points (21 point games) BUT the times I played him he was not yet at the top of the US and probably he was looking ahead to later rounds were his opponents were more of a threat.. He went through a period where his level took off like a rocket.  Another thing I remember was the dude had insanely strong legs.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 10:54pm
I enjoy the journey, the dude is blooming and explodes his intact youth through an aging body that he respects and trains wisely. There will be a lot of food for thoughts for him after the run, the way he'll see people seeing him will teach him even more about who we are in the game, he is reaching to the next level in his tt life, he wants more, way to go!

I do not want to stir the pot but...let's say he plays Nikhil and somehow Dan is on fire like once in 10 years while the siltty dude is momentarily doubting, we are deuce in the 7th, Nikhil could lose the 2nd spot to another player than Dan or get it for himself if he wins: what is Dan deciding there? does he take the win if he can? We know he can, a 2 point match in that drama would favor the old dog given the stakes; so what is Dan deciding here? I have no clue of course, both possible ways are respectable and I can only watch. That kind of thought may stir a lot of dark or enlightened energy in people's heart, it is important to see his message in what I think will be a big party, a love fest for the man!

btw nobody yet made the joke about "why not mjamja then?",  I thought I'd throw it out there, but man! heavyspin will start thinking then.

I'll put in $50 since I did the same for Billy when he went to Taiwan or Acudadave when he opened his club (I still got the t-shirt!!!).

GO DANNY!

Edited by stiltt - 09/09/2019 at 11:05pm
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

With all respect but this is ridiculous

...with all respect Wink

American Dream
The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States, the set of ideals in which freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, as well as an upward social mobility for the family and children, achieved through hard work in a society with few barriers.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/10/2019 at 12:09am
*sigh*
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 2:56am
'Dan Seemiller for USA Olympians 2020.   Why not?'

Bring it on, uncle Dan. Show 'em. Cool
Iloveplayingtabletennis
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

btw nobody yet made the joke about "why not mjamja then?",  I thought I'd throw it out there, but man! heavyspin will start thinking then.

Thanks for the mention. Qualifying for the Olympics is too lofty a goal for me. I have my sights set on the USA team at Houston 2021 Worlds. If I can average a 10lb weight loss each month for the next 15 months, that alone (without rigorous TT training) should get my game to a 2400/2500 level. I may set up a "go starve me" page. 
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 11:49am
They said we'd never put a man on the moon. Happy to support both Dan's GoFundMe Olympic campaign and Heavyspin's GoStarveMe USA team effort.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 11:55am
interested in 2020 or 20121 Olympics should be willing to play in the Mens or women's Open Singles event 2019

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Thanks for the mention. Qualifying for the Olympics is too lofty a goal for me. I have my sights set on the USA team at Houston 2021 Worlds. If I can average a 10lb weight loss each month for the next 15 months, that alone (without rigorous TT training) should get my game to a 2400/2500 level. I may set up a "go starve me" page. 

My funding drive will start in 2033 in preparation for my run at the World Veterans O80 Tittle.  At the rate Danny is declining and the rate  I am improving it is possible I will have a shot at him and others by then.  Of course my best chance will be later in the O90 event.

Mark - If you can't beat them, outlive them.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 7:19pm
already 1/3 in with $4k, out of the 12K hoped for.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 10:08pm
I may set up a "go starve me" page.

I'm sorry but it is not clear to me in what form or forms would be advocated in support of the GoStarveMe initiative.

Thanks,
Donn

"You must be brave." Guo Yuehua
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:23pm
Hi Donn, I imagine he means some kind of a pledging site where people engage themselves in taking food away from him so he would loose weight. It has a lot of value. The conversion between $$ and lbs to get rid of is of a delicate nature though; anyway I see there is always a possible shot when talent and determination go hand in hand and Mr. Seemiller's positive energy is already branching out. Go Heavyspin! We'll all find something cool to think about ourselves supporting him, that's what I like in his journey :)
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 7:21am
Hi,

As I contemplate the GoStarveMe initiative and its support, one contribution that may be contributory could be termed the "belt motivator" process.  It goes like this: To the designated address, send one trousers' belt per month for 15 consecutive months, with each belt one size smaller than the prior month.  At the end of this journey, you are where you want to be.

Thanks, 
Donn

"You must be brave." Guo Yuehua
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 8:35am
Maybe an actual long enough belt is enough and he can add new holes with a drill? A YouTube video showing the monthly happy drilling sounds like a cool ceremony. When the resting end of the belt after the hole in use becomes too long after the furthest usable belt loop, threatens to hang and wobble and the infamous loop back in is not an option, it’s cutting time and then we party for good! 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

As I contemplate the GoStarveMe initiative and its support, one contribution that may be contributory could be termed the "belt motivator" process.  It goes like this: To the designated address, send one trousers' belt per month for 15 consecutive months, with each belt one size smaller than the prior month.  At the end of this journey, you are where you want to be.

Thanks, 

It was actually a toss up between GoStarveMe and Don'tFeedMe and I went with the former. 

Just to be clear that I'm not intending take Danny's original message lightly, I supported his campaign earlier today. I'm probably 0-7 against Danny in my career and that included several matches when I was near my best. I only recall one of those matches where I made it interesting. Dan has the mental game and knows how to train. I'm curious how high he'll take his game again.
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:39pm
GoStarveMe could be a money collecting device that ships meals and ingredients for meals, sends daily emails about nutrition and how to cope with the pain to go through eating right. The chosen hero only eats and drinks what he buys with the debit card he gets from GoStarveMe and all donors and only them can see the list of stuff the person intakes, if possible in real time yum-yum and no cheating! LOL. The contender keeps reporting openly about the spiritual side of letting go something to get something yet unknown.
It will be interesting to see people borderline graduating, when they know they win and enjoy the right food for the right life and they talk about it with their own words. I can even see a possible franchise there, I mean <ahem> a community.
I'd be curious about Danny's diet to prepare for such a journey.

Edited by stiltt - 09/13/2019 at 10:41pm
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 8:14pm
"I'd be curious about Danny's diet to prepare for such a journey."

He'll probably end up eating a lot of crow.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

"I'd be curious about Danny's diet to prepare for such a journey."

He'll probably end up eating a lot of crow.

I know the odds are slim on him making the team, but I also know he'll do everything possible to make the team.  I would do the same thing is his spot.  There is no shame in losing, but he would regret not giving it all he has.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic