Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Seemiller for USA Olympians 2020 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2019 at 1:48am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

"I'd be curious about Danny's diet to prepare for such a journey."

He'll probably end up eating a lot of crow.

I know the odds are slim on him making the team, but I also know he'll do everything possible to make the team.  I would do the same thing is his spot.  There is no shame in losing, but he would regret not giving it all he has.
I really think he is sending a message in a spiritual fashion. He wants the love fest that's for sure, who doesn't when it's possible and there is a valuable purpose to start it? it's impossible to resist. 
It's a bit more complicated here, he wants above all to teach kids to want it, work for it, fight for it, get it. That's the real meaning of his move and it's crying material, it's the swan song by excellence, the good bye to the game that thorns me inside even though I don't particularly care about the dude, I just like him like because he is a real man given what's he's gone through over the years, the best America has to offer really, any better sample anybody in the last 50 years in the game?
I am just a crybaby who wishes he had a ping pong life better that he had, I am very glad Danny had.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

"I'd be curious about Danny's diet to prepare for such a journey."

He'll probably end up eating a lot of crow.

Clever play linking diet with eating crow - well done. However, after re-watching Dan's message, I don't think he met the CCC (crow consumption criterion). The CCC requires one to promise a result or make a bold prediction. Dan's tone was that he'll try his best and hope for good results.
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2019 at 8:08pm
Expressions and idioms are such a nice drape of a people’s soul and it’s fun to understand them in another language. I had to look that one up. 
2nding heavyspin, Danny did not set a goal for himself so in the style of what the spiritual offspring of Donn and Skip would state, we have zero room to sustain the fallacious argument that Danny bites off more than he can chew.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2019 at 10:20am
Roger that! Best of luck to the excellent Dan Seemiller...I was just trying to be a smart arse. It would be fantastic if he made it onto the team.
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2019 at 11:28am
If anyone can turn back the clock and make the team, it's Danno. And very importantly, his head is still in the game. When we're young, we're all gung ho for table tennis. But as we age, have to get a J-O-B, raise a family, etc., our focus and goals are elsewhere. So his effort is extraordinary, and I am pulling for him!
Tony
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2019 at 1:46pm
As much as I have admired Danny (since the 70s) I may be the only one on this forum who hopes he doesn't make it because it would be an indication of just how horrific the level of US table tennis has dropped.  (I wonder if at a certain level he doesn't feel that way himself).  With that said, I actually find some of the young players we see now who started playing here to be somewhat encouraging.  Also, the fact that he is still at a level and in a condition to even attempt it is pretty inspiring.

Edited by Baal - 09/18/2019 at 1:46pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As much as I have admired Danny (since the 70s) I may be the only one on this forum who hopes he doesn't make it because it would be an indication of just how horrific the level of US table tennis has dropped.  (I wonder if at a certain level he doesn't feel that way himself).  With that said, I actually find some of the young players we see now who started playing here to be somewhat encouraging.  Also, the fact that he is still at a level and in a condition to even attempt it is pretty inspiring.
Nah you have this the wrong way round.  Making the team right now would require Danny to play at a 2700 level (2600 at least).  And if he does that, that is amazing and says nothing bad about US table tennis.  Kanak is 2700+, Nikhil is 2600+, Xin Zhou 2700+, Kai Zhang 2600+ and we haven't gotten to the Alguettis, Nick Tio and Jishan Liang.  Even when Jim Butler won his last US Championship', his opponents were mostly 2400-2550.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2019 at 2:00pm
Almost there:

By the way, look at the goodies with Danny's name, those will cost over 1k when Danny goes to the Olympics:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic