Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lily and the 2020 Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

How is the team that will play against Canada decided? Has it been decided already?
Don't know, but I think for the women, any combination of Juan Liu, Lily Zhang, Amy Wang, Wu Yue, and Crystal Wang would win over Canada.  The men will be a tougher to decide... obviously Kanak will be there.  Kai and Nikhil should be there.  But I want to reiterate that playing at the Team Trials in October does not guarantee a place on the team.  If we keep the current selection procedure, it's: highest world ranking, winner of the Singles Trial on Feb 28 2020, and discretionary selection.
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:02am

How is the team that will play against Canada decided? Has it been decided already?

• North American Team Qualification, Rockford, Illinois (USA): 5 Oct
*sigh*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Don't know, but I think for the women, any combination of Juan Liu, Lily Zhang, Amy Wang, Wu Yue, and Crystal Wang would win over Canada.  The men will be a tougher to decide... obviously Kanak will be there.  Kai and Nikhil should be there.  But I want to reiterate that playing at the Team Trials in October does not guarantee a place on the team.  If we keep the current selection procedure, it's: highest world ranking, winner of the Singles Trial on Feb 28 2020, and discretionary selection.

USA's women team will win over the Canadians, Canadian men's team have Eugene but i think Kai this time around has a good shot at him, Jeremy is somewhat of an unknown right now **i'd say 50/50, Marko has not proven himself in competition against the USA recently.

i would think USATT would send for the women's team Lily, Wu and Juan at TEAMS...then there will be openings for Crystal, Amy and the other Amy at "Singles Qualification" and "Mixed Dbls"...you can also add Rachel Sung into the mix.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/13/2019 at 10:12am
*sigh*
ttforlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

• North American Team Qualification, Rockford, Illinois (USA): 5 Oct

Is this not the event of USA vs Canada? I'm curious how the USA team is decided that will be able to play in this event.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:13am
...sorry i posted my opinions too slow it's above your post

**your current HPD Sean could also change up the process so, there's that too to be confused about.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/13/2019 at 10:20am
*sigh*
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 11:38am

USA's women team will win over the Canadians, Canadian men's team have Eugene but i think Kai this time around has a good shot at him, Jeremy is somewhat of an unknown right now **i'd say 50/50, Marko has not proven himself in competition against the USA recently.

i would think USATT would send for the women's team Lily, Wu and Juan at TEAMS...then there will be openings for Crystal, Amy and the other Amy at "Singles Qualification" and "Mixed Dbls"...you can also add Rachel Sung into the mix.

Since teams is a best of 5, Canada needs three matches.  Even if Eugene wins 2, Canada will still struggle to get another 1 as Hazin is not beating Kanak or Nikhil.  And the US is getting reinforcements too, as Xin Zhou and Jishan Liang will be in the mix given that this is an Olympics cycle.  I just don't see what Canada really has an option here.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:31pm
I agreed Nextlevel, we (Canada) don't even stand a chance at mix doubles teams. As much as i support my Canadians, the REALITY is we cannot compete against the Americans ...the "politics" here is even worse than the USA's and we're not even choosing from a talent pool as vast as America's.

that said, i will still support and cheer on my fellow Canadians.

One thing i want to add and it's going to most likely start again... Wink

Juan Liu, it was unfair/callous of me to name her to "The Team" earlier because she is fairly new to the USATT rankings not based on her abilities but "timing of reintroduction of her competing again"...just selecting by the USATT ranking list she should not be on any team unless by a committee (made up of whomever is deemed knowledable) selection or by a team trial event(s).

I say that because there are others who have worked extremely hard and their parents have put in LOADS of money to get them there, so regardless of abilities and if solely based on rankings...she should not be an "automatic pick" and go thru a trial event(s) to be selected.
*sigh*
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:47pm
Here it comes again. First he claims he has no meaning behind his sentence. Then he self-corrects his inside meaning. He now says Juan is good player, but not a qualified player. Do you know why she didn't play this year's National? She thought she was unqualified so no interest to join games. Last year, she said clearly that she wants to join olympics when she won both US national and US open.Then ITTF rules changed her qualification. Then she starts to play. There is a whole article about that. 

By USATT rating, she is highest women player in US, only below two national male players.Why not? Olympics is not selecting person who spent most money. The best player in the country should go. 

ITTF ranking is a joke. Basically if you have money, joined so many ITTF events. You can reach top 100 eventually. But a lot of regular person don't have money. Even they are good, but they don't have any ITTF ranking.

Juan Liu, it was unfair/callous of me to name her to "The Team" earlier because she is fairly new to the USATT rankings not based on her abilities but "timing of reintroduction of her competing again"...just selecting by the USATT ranking list she should not be on any team unless by a committee (made up of whomever is deemed knowledable) selection or by a team trial event(s).

I say that because there are others who have worked extremely hard and their parents have put in LOADS of money to get them there, so regardless of abilities and if solely based on rankings...she should not be an "automatic pick" and go thru a trial event(s) to be selected.

Edited by mentortt - 09/13/2019 at 3:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Here it comes again. First he claims he has no meaning behind his sentence. Then he self-corrects his inside meaning. He now says Juan is good player, but not a qualified player. Do you know why she didn't play this year's National? She thought she was unqualified so no interest to join games. Last year, she said clearly that she wants to join olympics when she won both US national and US open.Then ITTF rules changed her qualification. Then she starts to play. There is a whole article about that. 

By USATT rating, she is highest women player in US, only below two national male players.Why not? Olympics is not selecting person who spent most money. The best player in the country should go. 

ITTF ranking is a joke. Basically if you have money, joined so many ITTF events. You can reach top 100 eventually. But a lot of regular person don't have money. Even they are good, but they don't have any ITTF ranking.

i was referring the my post at 10:10am but i urge you to re-read what i posted (in here again) before getting mad at me for...??? I have not changed my mind on anything except for mentioning her "as part of the team to be at Teams  Also the rankings i am referring to are the USATT's Confused

I also did not say she should not be part of the TeamClap

this is the current TTTeam USA female National group, Juan Li is not in there

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/13/2019 at 4:17pm
*sigh*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 4:14pm
I am neither for or against any player, just like some of you trying to make sense of the selection process but apparently some of you have something to gain by getting angry at me for favouring/not favouring a player. This thread is about Lily or did i read the headings wrong?

This is all i have to say ...this thread is just polluted with people with personal feelings to certain players and clearly do not want to discuss Lily's route to the Olympics...you know you can start your own thread.
*sigh*
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 12:16am

I am neither for or against any player, just like some of you trying to make sense of the selection process but apparently some of you have something to gain by getting angry at me for favouring/not favouring a player. This thread is about Lily or did i read the headings wrong?

This is all i have to say ...this thread is just polluted with people with personal feelings to certain players and clearly do not want to discuss Lily's route to the Olympics...you know you can start your own thread.
I'd say Lily's chances are quite good.  She's the 2nd highest USATT rated female player in the USA.  I've already detailed her race with Wu Yue for highest world ranking in this thread.  And if it comes down to discretionary selection, she's the winner of the Pan Am Championships, was a quarter finalist at the Slovenia Open and did better than Wu Yue at the Adult Ranking tournament.  So I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Lily in Tokyo.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 3:04pm
I think everything depends on the selection criteria they use.  If they go with the current method of highest international rating, win the trials and coaches pick then it might be tough.  Wu Yue will have the highest international rating.  Li Juan, baring some miracle, should win the trials unless some dark horse comes out of the woodwork which probably won't happen.  Then there is the coach's pick.  I think Amy beat Lily they last time they played and Amy is younger so maybe they go with Amy. 

If they changes the selection and the top 3 in the trials go to the Olympics, I think he chances for making the team are better.  Li Juan will probably win the first spot on day one.  Lily would have really good odds on winning day two or day three.  It is hard to envision a scenario where she has two off days and doesn't win on one of those days.  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

I think everything depends on the selection criteria they use.  If they go with the current method of highest international rating, win the trials and coaches pick then it might be tough.  Wu Yue will have the highest international rating.  Li Juan, baring some miracle, should win the trials unless some dark horse comes out of the woodwork which probably won't happen.  Then there is the coach's pick.  I think Amy beat Lily they last time they played and Amy is younger so maybe they go with Amy. 

If they changes the selection and the top 3 in the trials go to the Olympics, I think he chances for making the team are better.  Li Juan will probably win the first spot on day one.  Lily would have really good odds on winning day two or day three.  It is hard to envision a scenario where she has two off days and doesn't win on one of those days.  
Lily is within 25 points of Jennifer if you look at only 2019.  Remember that the 2018 points will have expired by the time they make the selection. So if Lily makes a good push to the finish line, she definitely can win the world ranking race. Discretionary selection is not just one head to head match. International results matter(Lily has the advantage here over everyone)  and the trials results do as well.
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 10:37am
Lily has great chance to be selected. I think Amy Wang has little chance to be selected. Basically only 3 out of 4 potential candidates (Juan, Lily, Jeniffer and Amy) can be selected. Hope selection will be open and fair and only best players go to olympics.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Lily has great chance to be selected. I think Amy Wang has little chance to be selected. Basically only 3 out of 4 potential candidates (Juan, Lily, Jeniffer and Amy) can be selected. Hope selection will be open and fair and only best players go to olympics.
If Wu Yue wins the world ranking race, then yes, Amy has little chance.  If Lily wins the ranking race, then Amy has a decent case for being selected.  She did better than Wu Yue at the Adult ranking tournament (one of the discretionary selection criteria) ... 4-2 vs. 3-3 respectively.  Looking at Wu Yue's 2019 results, I don't see anything impressive other than her win vs. Bruna Takahashi at the Pan Am Cup.  Amy has a win over future Chinese star Kuai Man and had FTW on the ropes at the WTTC.
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 10:00am
Liu Juan beat Yijun Feng in the finals at Westchester this weekend, 3-1.

A very good American player.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

So liu juan is basically earning $2,000 a month and working one day.  Who says you can't make a living playing table tennis in america?  All she needs are more 4* events.  
Ttunderthesun21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:18am
She has been on fire! 3 in a row!

🔥🔥🔥

Edited by Ttunderthesun21 - 10/01/2019 at 11:18am
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

So liu juan is basically earning $2,000 a month and working one day.  Who says you can't make a living playing table tennis in america?  All she needs are more 4* events.  

Is prize money taxed? Also I am looking forward to the video.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:36am
Tom is also one of those very good American players too...but i doubt he trains as hard anymore (use to travel to China) since starting higher learning and all.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 10/01/2019 at 11:37am
*sigh*
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 12:30pm
Tom appears to be training seriously again. He was selected to play in the World Team Cup which is in a month. 

Liu Juan has won the last 6 tournaments (with singles events) she’s interested (3x Westchester, National Ranking Tournament, US Open, and US Nationals). It would be a huge mistake if she isn’t selected for a singles spot in the Olympics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 1:33pm
Does he still go to China for training?

Sorry OP...we/someone went off topic again Confused

*sigh*
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Is prize money taxed?  

Definitely.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 4:32pm
The man who had a hand in shaping her TT future...he is extremely proud - he must have said "kill'em" here and Liliy was like "oh Massie" Tongue

*sigh*
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

Is prize money taxed?  

Definitely.  

not at westchester
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

Is prize money taxed?  

Definitely.  

not at westchester

Hi,

The technically correct response is: Yes, the prize money is taxable income and it is a legal requirement to declare on one's tax return documents.  The correlated question is whether or not the tournament withholds a tax amount prior to giving the prize money to the winner.  

I do know that in Las Vegas, if you win a lump sum up to or surpassing a certain amount, the casino will withhold a percentage of the winnings.  I do not know if this is a state or federal law governing this.

Thanks,
Donn

"You must be brave." Guo Yuehua
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 11:32am
I'm sorry, I just wanted to see if BRS was going to make a living at TT. Smile
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
apacible View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apacible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Now that we have Lily winning the Pan Am Games Women's Singles title (as well as the three other golds), in addition to being the U.S. Champion, does this alter the perspective on the qualification prospects for the next Olympics?

Thanks,

A lot will come down to the World rankings if they keep the current Olympics game team/singles qualification criteria.  But if they change the criteria, it might be one tournament in California or Vegas.

For me actually, the most interesting problem is how well Amy Wang plays doubles if she makes the team.

Thanks.

With her recent results, Amy Wang is our shooting star in singles.  When Rachel Sung beat Amy at the last Olympic trials, I saw Rachel as the "Next Big Thing."  I was wrong in that prediction.

If we look at the top line up of the U.S. women, we have Liu Juan, Lily, Jennifer, Crystal, and Amy.  Now, I put Amy third on this list.  This is impressive indeed.

Your concern concerning Amy's doubles is a point well taken.

Thanks again,
Things are starting to get really interesting in the World Ranking race between Wu Yue and Lily Zhang.  Here is my calculation for 2019 rankings points for each:

WU Yue
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN)  World_Tour      360
    2019 - ITTF-Panam Cup, Guaynabo (PUR)   Continental Champs_Cup          1170
    I believe only one result can be used between Pan Am Cup/Championship according
    to the 2019 ITTF World Ranking Regulation (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):
3.6. Maximum one continental event counts out of the singles continental championships, team continental championships and continental cup for seniors.
    2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) Challenge Plus  220 (not top 8)
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Oman Open, Muscat (OMA) Challenge Plus      330
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO)  Challenge           255
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Croatia Open, Zagreb (CRO)   Challenge           340
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) Platinum        450
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships, Budapest (HUN) WTTC            900
2019 - Pan American Games, Lima (PER)   Continental Games               930
2019 - ITTF Pan American Championships, Asuncion (PAR)                  1170
                                                                        ====
ZHANG Lily
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN)  World_Tour      270
    2019 - ITTF-Panam Cup, Guaynabo (PUR)   Continental Champs_Cup          900
    (superseded by Pan Am Champs result)
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) Challenge Plus  330
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Spanish Open, Guadalajara (ESP)  Challenge       170
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships, Budapest (HUN) WTTC            600
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO)  Challenge           425
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Japan Open, Sapporo (JPN)  Platinum    450
2019 - Pan American Games, Lima (PER)   Continental Games               665
2019 - ITTF Pan American Championships, Asuncion (PAR)                  1800
                                                                        ====

China gave Lily a Wild Card for the 2019 Women's World Cup so that changed everything!  There's a very real possibility now that Lily will surpass Wu Yue in the ranking race. What's also going to be interesting is how many matches each player is going to get to play at the World Team Cup in November.  Each win is worth 250 points.  

Hey Pongfugrasshopper, thank you very much for outlining the WR race between Lily Zhang and Wu Yue. I and some other are probably interested on how the WR race turns out as the year progresses since it will affect who make the Olympic team and maybe who plays the single event during the Olympics. Based on the USATT Selection procedures, aside from the trials winner and the 3rd member discretionary selection, the one who gets an automatic Olympic spot is the one with the highest WR as of Feb. 2020.
It's also highly possible that USATT chooses the highest World-Ranked American to compete in singles, so it's not just a race for a guaranteed Olympic spot but possibly a race for the other singles spot (assuming Liu Juan is selected for the first singles spot due to her absolute dominance over other USA table tennis players)

I just wanted to highlight that you forgot to include the 2018 World Team Table Tennis Championships results in your calculation. These points won't expire yet by Feb. 2020, so Wu Yue and Lily should get 1220 and 970 points respectively, giving Wu Yue the slight lead in Feb. 2020 ranking.

The upcoming Women's World Cup could be a big turning point. If Lily can make the main draw and Wu Yue doesn't, they would be neck-in-neck again. This scenario is entirely possible given that Lily has a 3/4 chance of getting either Mo Zhang, Dina Meshref, or Adriana Diaz all of whom Lily is capable of beating. 

Let me know you're interested in posting updates regarding the race since you've already started. Smile If not, I could do it too, but the updates might come a bit erratically since I've been a bit busy lately.

Edited by apacible - 10/13/2019 at 12:49pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by apacible apacible wrote:

Hey Pongfugrasshopper, thank you very much for outlining the WR race between Lily Zhang and Wu Yue. I and some other are probably interested on how the WR race turns out as the year progresses since it will affect who make the Olympic team and maybe who plays the single event during the Olympics. Based on the USATT Selection procedures, aside from the trials winner and the 3rd member discretionary selection, the one who gets an automatic Olympic spot is the one with the highest WR as of Feb. 2020.
It's also highly possible that USATT chooses the highest World-Ranked American to compete in singles, so it's not just a race for a guaranteed Olympic spot but possibly a race for the other singles spot (assuming Liu Juan is selected for the first singles spot due to her absolute dominance over other USA table tennis players)

I just wanted to highlight that you forgot to include the 2018 World Team Table Tennis Championships results in your calculation. These points won't expire yet by Feb. 2020, so Wu Yue and Lily should get 1220 and 970 points respectively, giving Wu Yue the slight lead in Feb. 2020 ranking.

The upcoming Women's World Cup could be a big turning point. If Lily can make the main draw and Wu Yue doesn't, they would be neck-in-neck again. This scenario is entirely possible given that Lily has a 3/4 chance of getting either Mo Zhang, Dina Meshref, or Adriana Diaz all of whom Lily is capable of beating. 

Let me know you're interested in posting updates regarding the race since you've already started. Smile If not, I could do it too, but the updates might come a bit erratically since I've been a bit busy lately.
Thanks apacible.  I had focused on the 2019 results and forgot about the 2018 WTTTC so you're right.  

Yes, this upcoming WWC is going to be very interesting.  It's going to depend on what draw each will get.  First 8 positions are seeded. Positions 9-12 are the lead players of 4 groups of 3.  From 9-12, that would be: Szocs, Jeon Jihee, Solja, and Samara.  I don't see either player advancing if they're in the same group as JJ.  The rest are very winnable.  

It would be great if you could continue with updates.  If you get too busy, let me know and I can do it.  Looking forward to an exciting race!
apacible View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apacible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2019 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by apacible apacible wrote:

Thanks apacible.  I had focused on the 2019 results and forgot about the 2018 WTTTC so you're right.  

Yes, this upcoming WWC is going to be very interesting.  It's going to depend on what draw each will get.  First 8 positions are seeded. Positions 9-12 are the lead players of 4 groups of 3.  From 9-12, that would be: Szocs, Jeon Jihee, Solja, and Samara.  I don't see either player advancing if they're in the same group as JJ.  The rest are very winnable.  

It would be great if you could continue with updates.  If you get too busy, let me know and I can do it.  Looking forward to an exciting race!

Sure! Maybe an update after the World Cup then. Smile Neither Lily nor Wu Yue have to beat any of the 9-12 seeds to advance to the main draw. It's enough to finish 2nd in their respective groups. Seeds 13-16 are Chen Szu-Yu, Meshref, Diaz, and Mo Zhang. Lily has been able to beat the latter two recently, and should be the favorite against Meshref. Wu Yue has beaten Meshref before, but has lost her more recent encounters against Diaz and Mo Zhang. Guess we'll have to wait for the draw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic