Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip tightness when topspinning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip tightness when topspinning
    Posted: 09/16/2019 at 7:36am
it is basically the same feeling as cracking a whip or snapping a towel as Tinykin recommended. Snap at contact or just before.  It does take practice to time and control for some people. And as Baal said, how you use the body to drive the arm is more important. 

Edited by NextLevel - 09/16/2019 at 7:37am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 7:38pm
Loose grip with mainly thumb and index finger gripping it and squeeze on contact. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 7:10pm
Definitely tight grip when you contact the ball, but you have to loosen it up after...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2019 at 7:42am
Use the towel snap practice technique.

Edited by Tinykin - 09/15/2019 at 8:34am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2019 at 2:56am
I advocate a tight grip RIGHT at impact from loose to maximize transfer of power to the ball as well... but I gotta agree with Baal that being loose and activating the right muscles in sequence with effective biomechanics and leverage is what generates all that energy to finalize the transfer to the ball.

I am highly in favor of a progressive approach and development of multiple speeds to hit. I advocate a very loose wrist and a compact lower pwer swing at first, then as timing gets better, add more power to swing and later experiment with firming up right at impact.

Loose is real important and I see USA male after USA male tighten up shoulder or arm and sap their power. it is almost like there is a primal urge to do an overhead downward stab kill the beast thing going on instead of allowing that energy to pass through ad amplify it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

Tighten grip at contact for max power. With loose grip, power is lost with blade vibration.

Some coaches advocate for this but the timing is crucial and in my experience it can lead to some erratic play.  If you can make it work that is good.  Just to note, nobody advocates for holding your blade real tight all the time. 

In any case, power shouldn't be coming from your hands, it is coming from your whole body.  People spend a lot of time thinking about their arm and hand and not enough about their feet.

Edited by Baal - 09/12/2019 at 5:01pm
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 4:16pm
You want to have a relaxed grip. You want to be relaxed in your arm and hand in general. If you apply pressure, them do it with your thumb and index finger. You shouldn’t have a tight grip with the other two fingers. But if you just focus on having a loose grip the whole time, it’ll be much better than trying to apply pressure and doing it wrong.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 2:36pm
Tight grip, not super tight of course, with pressure on my index finger when executing FH topspins.
For BH the pressure must be on my thumb.
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2019 at 2:23pm
Tighten grip at contact for max power. With loose grip, power is lost with blade vibration.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 11:44pm
Like you have a bird in your hand and you dont want it to escape but you dont want to hurt it either.
NaanAvana View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaanAvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 11:37pm
When you spin top on the ball, do you hold your grip very tight or is it relaxed and loose  or both depending on your strategy

I hear conflicted suggestions from many top coaches
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic