Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

players from puerto rico

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: players from puerto rico
    Posted: 09/14/2019 at 1:02pm
I was thinking.... since people from puerto rico are american citizens..... could they play in the USA national team?
maybe brian afanador could be a good new addition....
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 1:10pm
If they could, why would they want to?

It would be harder to make the team.

They would get way less support and financial benefits from the association.

They would get way less sponsorship money from their clothing and equipment suppliers. 

If I were on the PR team, I would stay right where I was. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 2:12pm
I was thinking since USA is such a rich country then probably it would be one of the best countries to play for.
Why?
Because I assume this means that they give the best treatment and conditions to their players.

Why would the first economy of the world have a table tennis association that is worse than the association of a tiny poor island like puerto rico?

Unless USA is really stingy LOL

Edited by pingpungpeng - 09/14/2019 at 2:22pm
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 2:45pm
I think part of it is there is no money with respect to the USATT and part of it is extreme stinginess with regard to table tennis companies.  The USATT doesn't have the budget to even field one player on the world tour, much less a team.  You must be rich or have rich parents to play.  It is no surprise that most of our top players come from families with lots of money.  We can't even pay for players to attend the world championships.  That is ridiculous. 

But wait, it gets even more crazy.  Our club had a visiting player from China who did well at the US Open.  He beat several US team members and had a fairly high rating.  We wrote to companies to see if he could get some sort of sponsorship in the form of free equipment or a discount on purchases.  We weren't even asking for money like you would expect in other sports.  One company gave us an insane response to the effect that if the player didn't have a certain world ranking, they weren't interested in helping out in any way.  At the time the ONLY player in North America that met that criteria was Kanak Jha.  No free shirts.  No free towels.  Not even a 2% discount on purchases.  Needless to say that player only plays occasionally for fun now.  There is just no point.  I have competed seriously in two other sports, not even remotely close to the level of the Chinese player, and even I got free equipment and dealer discounts. 

Table tennis operates in some sort of twilight zone. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2019 at 6:22pm
It's not only the association's fault.
It's the US government really.
The richest nation on earth and they don't have a dime to give to sports.
But really, every person's on it.
If you don't pay taxes then the government has no money for doing nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic