Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Most expensive places to play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SanKaram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanKaram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most expensive places to play
    Posted: 09/20/2019 at 4:24am
Is Spin (in NY) & other places  the most expensive place to play in North America ?

How about places like ICC etc ?  

What are other expensive places to play worldwide ?

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 3:32pm
North Shore Table Tennis club in Vancouver. The drop in fee is a whopping $10. Ouch! 
And you have to sit quite often to wait for your next turn.

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 3:41pm
The problem with cheap is that really cheap places to play rarely survive and if they do it is maybe one day per week under crappy conditions.

I understand that people have their own economic stresses but something like $50 per month hardly seems like too much to ask for a full-time club with decent tables, floors and lighting and such.  Clubs have things like rent and utility and liability insurance bills to pay.  And they're not allowed to print their own money.  Coaches also need to make a living.

Edited by Baal - 09/20/2019 at 3:42pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 4:36pm
$50/mo is a great deal.  I wouldn't mind paying $100 a month for a great facility near me.  Golfers pay $50 for 5 hours of golf.  TT is very inexpensive.  Our club charges $5 for 4 hours of play, where you can play all 4 hours if you want to.  
SanKaram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanKaram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The problem with cheap is that really cheap places to play rarely survive and if they do it is maybe one day per week under crappy conditions.

I understand that people have their own economic stresses but something like $50 per month hardly seems like too much to ask for a full-time club with decent tables, floors and lighting and such.  Clubs have things like rent and utility and liability insurance bills to pay.  And they're not allowed to print their own money.  Coaches also need to make a living.

You obviously missed my point. I said I am a cheapo.
$50 a month for table tennis ?  Are you freaking serious ? 
Get insurance from USATT losers. 
I don't care about private club losers and coaches & badly behaved juniors etc
As  a few posters pointed out, community centers are the best.

Otherwise if you are emotionally involved with table-tennis and start a full time table tennis club in North America, you deserve what you get .  If you are not thinking with a glue affected brain you would make it a multi-sport facility & have other successful sports like gymnastics, marital art etc carry table-tennis.
Non-community supported single sport model for table-tennis is a recipe for disaster   

Edited by SanKaram - 09/20/2019 at 7:58pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:56pm
Uh huh.
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:09pm
$810 per month for 5 group coaching sessions per week.

https://loopstabletennis.com/membership/

SIMON GERADA TABLE TENNIS ACADEMY

(SGTTA)

Shadow Squad Membership

(PRODUCT 220100040120)

• 5 classes every week
  • upfront monthly membership of $405
  • $18.75 per class for industry supervised coaching & training at LOOPS Centre
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:33pm
Those are Aussie dollars. Still a tad pricey though.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:54pm
Expert Swing Table Tennis in Kuala Lumpur is pretty pricey. If you want to play with any of the average to good players, they make you pay around 10,000myr to become a vip (2400usd). They have another room with a bunch of 4 years olds and 80 year old beginners running around. All the players in that room looked below 1200 by USATT standard. I was just visiting for 2 days and they said I had to pay for the full VIP membership if I wanted to play with the average players. Funny thing is that there were only 5 guys in there with like 15 tables. 1 guy was even sitting and waiting for someone to play. I wouldn't go back. It's not like the guys in the VIP room were even all that great. There weren't any Ma Longs or Tim Bolls in there. Pay 2400usd for two days? lol 

Edit *** I did just check their website. The price is a lot lower now with a yearly vip membership starting from about 1500myr(and up) per year. But, I still wouldn't pay 350 bucks to play for two days. It's a shame that they don't have anything for out of towners who are only visiting for a few days, because I do come come there a couple times a year usually. However, I'm only there for 8 or 9 days total per year. 

Edited by ericd937 - 09/20/2019 at 11:30pm
Current Setup: Trying to learn H3
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level:
Starting to get the hang of H3
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Expert Swing Table Tennis in Kuala Lumpur is pretty pricey. If you want to play with any of the average to good players, they make you pay around 10,000myr to become a vip (2400usd). They have another room with a bunch of 4 years olds and 80 year old beginners running around. All the players in that room looked below 1200 by USATT standard. I was just visiting for 2 days and they said I had to pay for the full VIP membership if I wanted to play with the average players. Funny thing is that there were only 5 guys in there with like 15 tables. 1 guy was even sitting and waiting for someone to play. I wouldn't go back. It's not like the guys in the VIP room were even all that great. There weren't any Ma Longs or Tim Bolls in there. Pay 2400usd for two days? lol 

Edit *** I did just check their website. The price is a lot lower now with a yearly vip membership starting from about 1500myr(and up) per year. But, I still wouldn't pay 350 bucks to play for two days. It's a shame that they don't have anything for out of towners who are only visiting for a few days, because to do come come there a couple times a year usually. 

Now, they accept walk-in. RM 10 per walk in.

Next time you come to KL Malaysia, pls PM me. I can bring you to my club and we can play.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by yylik yylik wrote:

Edit *** I did just check their website. The price is a lot lower now with a yearly vip membership starting from about 1500myr(and up) per year. But, I still wouldn't pay 350 bucks to play for two days. It's a shame that they don't have anything for out of towners who are only visiting for a few days, because to do come come there a couple times a year usually. 

Next time you come to KL Malaysia, pls PM me. I can bring you to my club and we can play.

Do they accept walk-ins for the "VIP room" or do you have to play in the room with only children? 
Current estimated level:
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 12:06am

Do they accept walk-ins for the "VIP room" or do you have to play in the room with only children? 

I do not represent them, it is best to check with them directly.

My understanding is RM10 walk-in for non VIP room usage.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 12:17am
Originally posted by SanKaram SanKaram wrote:

As  a few posters pointed out, community centers are the best.
Well, they are the cheapest which makes them the best if price is your only consideration.  By every other measure, they are far from the best.  To each his own...
OSP Ultimate II, FH/Xiom Omega VII Asia Max BH/Omega VII Asia Max
OSP Virtuoso+, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 12:47am

I do not represent them, it is best to check with them directly.

My understanding is RM10 walk-in for non VIP room usage.

Yeah, that's how it was when I was there. The non-VIP room is terrible. Its just a bunch of children running around and no one worth playing really. I doubt that even a 1400 or 1500 player would find it worthwhile playing in that non-VIP room, unless you came with a training partner. Since, I'm not from there, I don't know anyone in that area and I was looking for some pickup games. 

Edited by ericd937 - 09/21/2019 at 12:49am
Current estimated level:
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 5:42am
monash university in Melbourne 
$20.50 per hour for a table.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 5:45am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Wow! ShockedShockedShocked
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
NadiaY View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NadiaY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 5:57am

Expert Swing Table Tennis in Kuala Lumpur is pretty pricey. If you want to play with any of the average to good players, they make you pay around 10,000myr to become a vip (2400usd).

"Swing"  I did not know that kind of TT club existed for those kinds of people.  Then again if there is a VIP room may be you will get a private loop dance there  also

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 7:30am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

He's BSing you.  Rates and hours of operation are posted on their website. Non-student rates are $60 per semester, $105 per year.  Drop in rate is $10.  Quite the bargain.

Edited by GMan4911 - 09/21/2019 at 7:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 8:18am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

He's BSing you.  Rates and hours of operation are posted on their website. Non-student rates are $60 per semester, $105 per year.  Drop in rate is $10.  Quite the bargain.

He's not BSing anyone.

Court Hire - Caulfield

StudentNon Student
Badminton - per hour$17.50$20.50
Badminton - five hour pass$78.75N/A
Badminton - ten hour pass$157.50$184.50
Full Stadium- per hour$99.00$117.00
Half Stadium - per hour$49.50$58.50
Table Tennis - per hour$17.50$20.50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 8:20am
I heard that Coburg is even worse- I haven't been there but apparently it's filthy. $20 to reserve a table and $12 per hour. So the first hour will cost $32.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

He's not BSing anyone.

Court Hire - Caulfield

StudentNon Student
Badminton - per hour$17.50$20.50
Badminton - five hour pass$78.75N/A
Badminton - ten hour pass$157.50$184.50
Full Stadium- per hour$99.00$117.00
Half Stadium - per hour$49.50$58.50
Table Tennis - per hour$17.50$20.50

$17.50 is only for students, others have to pay 
$20.50.  what a RIP off

Edited by jackwong23 - 09/21/2019 at 8:59am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 9:26am
does anyone know what is the rate at MSAC now ?

Haven't been there for years.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 9:37am
Wow.  Do people actually pay that?  I doubt they get very many takers.

If you join the club, the rates are much more reasonable.  The rates I posted previously are old.  Below are current rates:

Membership costs:
Monash Students and Staff: $40 per semester/ $70 for the year
Non-Students: $80 per semester/ $140 for the year
Casual Visits $5 per session
Casual Visits can accumulate to semester/yearly memberships

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 3:16pm
While I lived in Japan I always played for free.
I used to go to youth clubs (Seinen-no-ie) or college courts in weekends. I surprised myself on how quick I made new friendships when entering a place wanting to play table tennis...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:00am

Free. If you go there after hours, no one is manning the front desk. Not bad, good price.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:15am
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

Free. If you go there after hours, no one is manning the front desk. Not bad, good price.

ok, great.Smile
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 5:30pm
A squash club in Sydney which also provide TT play in their courts charge $40 Aussie dollars per peak hour and $20 for weekday mornings. May be they just don't want us TT blokes to bother them. I think they mainly focus on coaching youngsters in weekends. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic