FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Not unless they pay me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 5:20pm
USATT did this inane thing a few years back where they let anybody get their own name printed on the back of the national team jersey. Thought it kind of devalued the shirt for the people who earned their way into having their name on the national team jersey. Put your own name on a club shirt or generic TT shirt IMO. Besides for that, who really cares? Go spend time out of your life buying non-labeled clothing if it really means that much to you?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

The old phrase "it's a free country" applies here.  It doesn't matter to me what other people choose to wear.  Seems like it's pretty common for amateur players to wear TT clothing and have accessories with all sorts of branding.

There are definitely some differences in what is "acceptable" in other sporting circles though.  For instance one of my other sporting hobbies is cycling, and here in the U.S. I think it is generally considered to be somewhat unacceptable to show up at group rides wearing a professional team kit or something like the World Champion jersey (so-called "rainbow" jersey) or the Tour De France Maillot Jaune (yellow leader's jersey).  Other riders will think it's a bit pretentious - like you're saying that you're as good as a pro cyclist, etc.  However, I've heard that in Europe it is quite different, and it is common to see amateur riders wearing professional team gear.

It is also true in sanctioned cycling races that it is against rules to wear jerseys/shorts that display sponsor logos if you are not actually registered with a team that has such a sponsor.  I'm guessing that there are somewhat similar rules in competitive TT tournaments.  But, I'm also guessing that the rule is not strictly enforced unless a player is appearing in a "high profile" event, i.e. one that has a big audience or will be broadcast to a larger public audience.  Thus the reason why you sometimes see someone covering logos from being displayed.

I was about to make this same point about road cycling.  In the US it is a faux pas to wear pro team kit.  In fact, this is documented in a partially tongue and cheek book called The Rules (by a couple of old guys who call themselves the Velominati).  This book lays out all the Rules to be a socially acceptable road cyclist, including things like how high your socks should be (rule 27), and cycling caps should only be worn while cycling (rule 22), and the bikes on top of your car should be worth more than your car (rule 25) and a bike race shall never be preceded by a swim or followed by a run (rule 42).  Rule #17 states that team jerseys are for members of the team ONLY.  

Of course many of these rules are idiotic (rule 90, never get out of the big ring). And some are just common sense.  And one is not really a rule, just a statement of reality (rule 19, It never gets easier, you just go faster, a famous quote from Greg Lemond).

I have often wondered if we should write a comparable set of "rules" for TT.  These should include but not be limited to:

Wipe your damned sweat off the table.

No choing unless your are getting paid to win.

Rubbers should be trimmed cleanly around the edge of your rackets.

You must apologize for nets and edges.

You must show up on time.

Harden the f66k up (that one is straight from the cycling rules).

Don't put your name on the back of your shirt unless you are a professional player.

But I would not include the one about wearing company jerseys.  Some of them look cool.  Perhaps an amendment, no company jerseys for players over 50.  

Edited by Baal - 10/02/2019 at 7:14pm
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have often wondered if we should write a comparable set of "rules" for TT.  These should include but not be limited to:

Don't put your name on the back of your shirt unless you are a professional player.

But I would not included the one about wearing company jerseys.  

Haha. Love this. 
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But I would not included the one about wearing company jerseys.  

Haha. Love this. 

Clap
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic