Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offensive name calling by North Americans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
XiaShu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XiaShu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offensive name calling by North Americans
    Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:53am
Why do people in Canada & USA call table-tennis as ping-pong.

That is so offensive & disrespectful
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 5:13am
It’s not offensive. Some people don’t know better. Don’t get offended by a non existing problem. We have much bigger problems in this world.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 6:00am
Ping Pong is the common word I am talking with my table tennis community, and not even a slight offense intended. For us, ping pong is just another words for table tennis. Actually among us ping pong is more common, whilst on official announcement (e.g. newspapers) the words table tennis is used.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Virtuoso- , Acuda Blue P1.
Virtuoso CRWI, Acuda Blue P1

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 7:08am
Amazing that we have yet another new member from Milton Keynes in the UK.  
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 9:20am
don't be offended, ITTF is changing it to TTX :)
*sigh*
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

How much longer will this perpetual sock puppetry continue?  Or did I answer my own question while posing it?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 9:59am
As much as I'd like others to use TT, ppl just don't know better. As long as they don't go around saying ping pong ching chong, it's fine.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:09am
ping-pong is a trademark that belongs to Parker Brothers and when those asked money to use the name, the international federation said “oh yeah? Then we don’t play ping-pong anymore but table tennis”. Short story short, they mean the exact same and only snobs make a difference to underline that it’s a real sport that the name of tt represents better than pp, showing a bit of an inferiority complex, wanting so badly to see their sport recognized as more than a hobby or leisure activity, which is positive we must acknowledge.

Edited by stiltt - 10/01/2019 at 11:12am
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:10am
 Double posting sorry.

Edited by stiltt - 10/01/2019 at 11:11am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 11:37am

Someone is really bored in Milton Keynes, UK and has nothing better to do on a school day.... Big smile
SFP BE FL 82g | H3 Neo 2.15 + FTL | Aurus Select 2.1
SFP BE AN 82g | 2x Aurus Prime 2.1
TB ALC ST 84g | 2x Rozena 2.1

For Sale: Hadraw VK FL 82g, Rapid Carbon Light AN 72g... PM ME!
IrishRose View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

How much longer will this perpetual sock puppetry continue?  Or did I answer my own question while posing it?

1. When people like you stop ignoring legitimate questions raised by alleged sockpuppets (which BTW seem to be very popular and answered by many openminded posters with no agenda or axe to grind) 
Actually this alleged sockpuppet has to be the best thought provoking poster (with a sense of humor) ever in TT on any forums unlike the infamous undisputedly the biggest spammer bully on the web EVER that I know you worship.

2. When you stop obsessing about your hatred for alleged sockpuppets 

3  When you evaluate a post based on its sole merits & decide to answer (and of course not answer) &not obsess about the poster.   
Duh !

4.  When your smooth live rubber extremist behavior ends when the s--- hits the ceiling after AGM2020 & just before Tokyo2020 & tabletennis gets at least suspended if not permanently removed from the Olympics 

It is perfectly understandable for moderators to delete or hide posts that they deem not to be fit or to protect the ITTF (they claim they don't care about the ITTF but is a big lie)  but if you keep banning posters, they may resort to creating sock puppets . Why not just live & let live  (I understand the smooth rubber extremists just cannot live & let live the defensive styles but this is just a forum for God;s sake) .  It is not that deleting posts here will hide the sad truth about tabletennis  as if they cannot use many other means such as emails, own websites, own blogs( like some infamous web bully who left RSTT and is hiding here.,has done) of sending this information ato uninformed folks such as defensive style players.  

Hope that helps 

If you don't like a poster , based on your agenda, why don't you just leave the post & poster alone in peace  ? Why do you have to reply and try to prove who is the boss ? It is already  well known fact that smooth rubber extremists are the bosses who control all aspects of ITTF & defensive players are worthless pieces of crap with no self-esteem despite the fact that they defenders are the best all around athletes in the sport but for few exceptions like Alser, Secretin, Appelgren, Maze etc.  Do you have to keep rubbing it in (by rude signatures such as "I like to put heavy topspin on the ball or Life is too short for defensive play etc etc"  OMG    

Unless NOT deleted here, this reply will be cross-posted to RSTT in a few weeks 

Edited by IrishRose - 10/01/2019 at 1:11pm
IrishRose View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 12:34pm

I am not educated and I don't know much about algebra but have you ever considered the possibility that lot of internet traffic for this group of companies in UK may be routed thru servers located in Milton Keynes ?  
IrishRose View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Maybe you can also explain how this alleged sockpuppets in an obscure forum about a little known sport in North America has seriously effected your quality of life or caused you serious loss of revenue.

I do admit severe loss of revenue  is yet to come to tabletennis after AGM 2020 but it is solely due to ITTF's own behavior molesting defensive styles (which is the best if not the only way to attract & keep  more non-player spectators / fans  to the sport to make it more popular)  time & again from 1983 on but promoting & harboring smooth rubber extremists by not just pretending but totally banning the regluing / boosting "process"

Unless NOT deleted here, this reply will be cross-posted to RSTT in a few weeks 

Edited by IrishRose - 10/01/2019 at 12:48pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

It’s not offensive. Some people don’t know better. Don’t get offended by a non existing problem. We have much bigger problems in this world.
sry, that is the PC world we have in NA ; anyway, as a chinese-canadian, I find it a little offensive Embarrassed

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 2:05pm
Off topic post, not directed at anyone in particular of course: 

My my the black flies are testy today, and thin skinned.  Beware they tend to swarm.  Sick  They are a common nuisance for humans, and many U.S. states have programs to suppress the black fly population.  Which is difficult as populations swell they are drawn to human activities. Their swarming behavior can make activities unpleasant or intolerable.  Dead

(sometimes called a buffalo gnat, turkey gnat, or wait for it - white socks)  Clown
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.5 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by IrishRose IrishRose wrote:

I am not educated and I don't know much about algebra but have you ever considered the possibility that lot of internet traffic for this group of companies in UK may be routed thru servers located in Milton Keynes ?  

yes.  And there are other possible explanations too.  Except in this case you outed yourself.

My best guess is that you are Srinivas Janardhanan who at one point infested internet TT forums under the name of Sjan, and since then under countless others, dating back as much as 20 years. If so, you have lived in quite a few American cities, you are a long pips player with an overriding obsession with Eberhard Scholer, Larry Hodges, the two color rule, the aspect ratio rule, and anything else that might impact your style, especially the use of now illegal pips -- rule changes made a long time ago by ITTF that you have never forgotten or forgiven.  For the record, I agreed with the two color rule but disagreed wit the rules on aspect ratio and friction, and I am no fan of the ITTF.  So I actually sympathize with your complaint --- but dude, that was a LONG time ago.  I was especially critical of the decision in 2014-5 to sneak in another increase in ball size and to force this on people before new ball materials had been properly tested.  Since then I have adapted to it.  I dislike Sharara intensely and always believed he was corrupt and I think that TTex is a laughable waste of resources.  The guy I was favoring in the last big ITTF presidential election was not chosen.  As for USATT, we have a thread ongoing about how they are pretty much dysfunctional.  Just so you know where I am coming from.  Larry can speak for himself, but I am pretty sure he is puzzled as to why you think he was part of the decisions to make those rules.  And as for two-color rule, that happened before a substantial number of the MyTT members were born.

At this point your obsession is not healthy.  I'll leave it at that.

I also believe in moderating forums.  Go ahead and write what you want on your un-moderated forum.  But the continuous creation of new identities here is a problem.  Stop doing it.  

Edited by Baal - 10/01/2019 at 3:41pm
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:05pm
Oh easy question.
Ping pong was the original name of the game when it was a copyright parlour game. And it helps that the official name of the sport in china is 乒乓求 which is pronounced similar to ping pong Chu. So it still exists as this in other cultures
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:40pm

Originally posted by IrishRose IrishRose wrote:

yes.  And there are other possible explanations too.  Except in this case you outed yourself.

My best guess is that you are Srinivas Janardhanan who at one point infested internet TT forums under the name of Sjan, and since then under countless others, dating back as much as 20 years. If so, you have lived in quite a few American cities, you are a long pips player with an overriding obsession with Eberhard Scholer, Larry Hodges, the two color rule, the aspect ratio rule, and anything else that might impact your style, especially the use of now illegal pips -- rule changes made a long time ago by ITTF that you have never forgotten or forgiven.  For the record, I agreed with the two color rule but disagreed wit the rules on aspect ratio and friction, and I am no fan of the ITTF.  So I actually sympathize with your complaint --- but dude, that was a LONG time ago.  I was especially critical of the decision in 2014-5 to sneak in another increase in ball size and to force this on people before new ball materials had been properly tested.  Since then I have adapted to it.  I dislike Sharara intensely and always believed he was corrupt and I think that TTex is a laughable waste of resources.  The guy I was favoring in the last big ITTF presidential election was not chosen.  As for USATT, we have a thread ongoing about how they are pretty much dysfunctional.  Just so you know where I am coming from.  Larry can speak for himself, but I am pretty sure he is puzzled as to why you think he was part of the decisions to make those rules.

At this point your obsession is not healthy.  I'll leave it at that.

I also believe in moderating forums.  Go ahead and write what you want on your un-moderated forum.  But the continuous creation of new identities here is a problem.  Stop doing it.  

You forgot his biggest complaint, speed glue.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 3:46pm
For people wanting more about Sjan there is this (and note the comment made to the journalist, RULE #3, that you don't DARE call it ping ping  Clap ):

http://www.live5news.com/story/26336972/5-around-town-stumbles-upon-the-hanahan-table-tennis-training-center/

Edited by Baal - 10/01/2019 at 10:16pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2019 at 9:22pm

This is the Parker Brothers Ping Pong game box that started selling back in the 1890's in The US. The game had started in the UK in the 1880's, other sources say 1860's. The term "Ping Pong" was patented by John Jacques. Thus the term "Table Tennis" was coined to avoid paying for using the term "Ping Pong" since it was trademarked. J Jacques sold the rights to Parker Brothers later on. At least that's what Wikipedia says.

Now....

What were you saying about the words "Ping Pong" being offensive?!???

FdT
kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Someone is really bored in Milton Keynes, UK and has nothing better to do on a school day.... Big smile

Well, in the UK Milton Keynes has a reputation for being an extremely boring town, so no wonder one has to do something to keep themselves entertained. Never felt bored enough to go to MK, so can't verify this. Big smile 

Edited by kuifje - 10/02/2019 at 5:30am
RobinGomezs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinGomezs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 8:03am

For people wanting more about Sjan there is this (and note the comment made to the journalist, RULE #3, that you don't DARE call it ping ping  Clap ):

http://www.live5news.com/story/26336972/5-around-town-stumbles-upon-the-hanahan-table-tennis-training-center/

I have no idea who or what this is but I researched the person you mention and it looks like he has an updated coaching website easy to remember 

I heard that the first f in fITTF does not exactly imply he is fond of ITTF 

Edited by RobinGomezs - 10/02/2019 at 8:05am
RobinGomezs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinGomezs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

What were you saying about the words "Ping Pong" being offensive?!???

FdT

What does a very old trademarking a phrase has anything to do with it current context of the phrase in North America ?

The current context of the phrase "Ping Pong" in North America is very negative an implies a "silly" basement "game"  not an "athletic" Olympic "sport"  (though it will be soon suspended or removed from Olympics) 

A former ITTF president in recent times from Sweden (one or two before Sharara I think ....his name was Hammer something ) also hated the usage of the term "Ping Pong".

I know it is also used in countries like China , Japan, Korea etc. 
The only difference is that North Americans may be forgiven because they just do not know Table Tennis as a sport but those from China cannot be forgiven for this serious violation because they should know better.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 8:22am
Originally posted by RobinGomezs RobinGomezs wrote:

...I know it is also used in countries like China , Japan, Korea etc. 
The only difference is that North Americans may be forgiven because they just do not know Table Tennis as a sport but those from China cannot be forgiven for this serious violation because they should know better.

Valid point there. Their use of the term poses a severe threat to national security. I say we ban them and "urge" our allies to do so as well.

Edited by zeio - 10/02/2019 at 8:23am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 8:26am
Yes . Without question zeio is right.  The use of ping pong in Mandarin is an existential threat.

In addition I state here for the record that after Denmark buys the United States I for one will be proud to wear a Michael Maze jersey.

Edited by Baal - 10/02/2019 at 8:28am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by RobinGomezs RobinGomezs wrote:

I have no idea who or what this is but I researched the person you mention and it looks like he has an updated coaching website easy to remember 

I heard that the first f in fITTF does not exactly imply he is fond of ITTF 

Obviously, I answered my own question.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 12:26pm

Yes . Without question zeio is right.  The use of ping pong in Mandarin is an existential threat.

In addition I state here for the record that after Denmark buys the United States I for one will be proud to wear a Michael Maze jersey.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 1:34pm
Im offended by people who are offended by the words "Ping Pong".

FdT
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 4:57pm
As far as original topics go this is entry level small talk, roughly what I expect my co-workers to come up with at a work event when they've realised that I have 0 social skills. 

The more knowledgeable ones will say something funny about whiff-whaff. Level 3 might be about Asian people being good at table tennis. 

But I guess it works as an entry level troll topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic