FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stance width

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stance width
    Posted: 10/07/2019 at 4:50am
How wide is your stance as a multiple of shoulder width?
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 10:09am
Around 2x
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 10:23am
Around 1.0x to 1.2x.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/07/2019 at 10:24am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 12:03pm
Hmm...  While doing what exactly?
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 12:34pm
too wide makes your weight not go forward
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 1:31pm
based on general experience across sports I would say shoulder width.  Obviously pro's in serve return like a wider stance, which you can do if you have the hammys.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

Around 2x

I assume you are referring to serve return stance, or do you play crab style?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 2:06pm
You need to be comfortable.  If you try to adopt a stance that is unnatural you're just going to hurt yourself.  A relaxed player is a fluid player.

If you do a lot of drills where you are forced to move a lot to get to the ball, your body will naturally move in its most efficient way.  That will depend on your fitness, strength, agility, flexibility, age, recent injury history, etc.  Of course those things will also affect how challenging your drills can be.

This is the last thing you want to be THINKING about while you're playing. 

Edited by Baal - 10/07/2019 at 2:08pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 2:40pm
Imagine you are covering someone in basketball who is trying to dribble past you. Go ahead and do this before I go on. Don't think about it; just do it. Ready?  Almost for certain your feet went a little wider, your weight went on the balls of the feet, your knees bent some and pointed outwards slightly, and you leaned forward slightly at the waist. Your knees were suddenly bouncy as you prepared to move in either direction. Now lower your arms. That's your table tennis ready stance, including the width you should have your feet. (If you are in good physical shape and train regularly, you might widen your stance even more.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 10/07/2019 at 2:56pm
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Around 2x

Yes, I understood stance as a non moving position. In a rally it depends if I play off the bounce (1.3-1.5 x shoulder width) or looping the ball late (1.7-1.8 x SW)
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Around 2x

Yes, I understood stance as a non moving position. In a rally it depends if I play off the bounce (1.3-1.5 x shoulder width) or looping the ball late (1.7-1.8 x SW)

Makes sense.  I also spread my legs more if the ball is lower, or to lift backspin...i think

mickd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 7:24pm
Up to twice my shoulder width. I think for most things, I feel comfortable at about 1.8x. I just try to get low and be comfortable. I like Larry's post on it.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2019 at 6:01pm
Hmm mine is about 2x most of the time.... 

I saw Ma Long and he is at 3x on many occasions! But I guess it's a very individual thing and everyone has different body proportions which causes this distance to be different...
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3-50
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2019 at 12:27am
Stance width is a compromise between mobility and stability.

You need to be stable in order to apply force to the ball while staying balanced. However, If you use a wider stance then your leg strength will support, you can be so stable that you can hardly move. The stronger and better conditioned your legs are the wider the stance you can use and still be able to move. 

The Chinese nationals team can use a very wide low stance which keeps them stable while applying a high amount of force to the ball because their fantastic conditioning allows them to still be able to move from a very wide low stance. If most recreational players tried to copy this, they would not be able to move quickly, and their legs would begin to burn and cramp in short order.

IMO, it's best to play from the widest stance that your conditioning will support. In other words, you need to be stable, while still retaining the ability to move quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic