Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola teams
    Posted: 10/07/2019 at 6:14am
so many teams on waiting list
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Ttunderthesun21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 8:12am
Yeah, it's crazy does anyone know how many they will actually allow in this year?  I've heard from a few people (a few people on the waiting list who called them) they intend to take less teams than last year.  
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 8:57am
Since US open this year time and location is not right for amateur players, I guess that most of TT players tend to select Joola team to test their one-year progress. Last year, it already uses all the tables available. Technically, if they have no additional venue, they cannot accept more teams. I believe this year it will have more people than last year (>1000 players) since one team can accept more players. I think some players who cannot register the team may think to squeeze in available team.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Since US open this year time and location is not right for amateur players, I guess that most of TT players tend to select Joola team to test their one-year progress. Last year, it already uses all the tables available. Technically, if they have no additional venue, they cannot accept more teams. I believe this year it will have more people than last year (>1000 players) since one team can accept more players. I think some players who cannot register the team may think to squeeze in available team.

That's a good take, Joola Teams is a very good 1 year test.  Probably my favorite tournament, in terms of matches, and diversity of players you get to play.  Yeah any less than 1000 players is leaving $ on the table, probably will be a new record this year.  
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 9:18am
260 is hard threshold for the team. They already accept 245 teams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 9:33am
That I did not know, thanks for the info.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of red flooring for other divisions, I mean they could at least do like divisions 1-5 or something.  It's so tough playing on that concrete.  
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 9:35am
Concur that. Most of divisions play in concrete. I also suggest they should get better trophy or award for lower division. It is so hard to get that.
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

That I did not know, thanks for the info.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of red flooring for other divisions, I mean they could at least do like divisions 1-5 or something.  It's so tough playing on that concrete.  

Edited by mentortt - 10/07/2019 at 9:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Concur that. Most of divisions play in concrete. I also suggest they should get better trophy or award for lower division. It is so hard to get that.
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

Omg yes!  The trophy is pitiful, winning a division is probably one of the hardest things to do.  I mean I understand the no prize money for winning a division, but not even a decent trophy is just sad.  
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 10:43am
I hope that all those team players whose teams don't make the cut still consider playing for other teams that are in (I am looking for 3 players rated about 1800 to complete 5 player team - send me PM if interested).
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 11:33am
Take out the "North" from the name and you'll have lots of openings Wink

besides they can't get the sponsor name correctly anyhow...i hear it all the time JU LA...instead of Yoh LA...Confused

TTX should develop this market TTX Canadian Teams :) the perfect level for them eH!

**hint:

Edited by Charlie Brown - 10/07/2019 at 11:37am
*sigh*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

Take out the "North" from the name and you'll have lots of openings Wink

besides they can't get the sponsor name correctly anyhow...i hear it all the time JU LA...instead of Yoh LA...Confused

TTX should develop this market TTX Canadian Teams :) the perfect level for them eH!

**hint:

@Charlie I'm sure you can answer this question, since I've always been curious as to why there are so many Canadian teams that participate in this particular tournament.  Is it due to some sort of joint sponsorship or some collaboration?  
Charlie Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 3:38pm
quite simply NO ONE organizes an event like this up there for "whatever" **cough**couldn't be bothered*cough*

also there is the diversitiy of talent...clubs only play amongst themselves...the closest we get to "diversity" is Panda Cup organized by Lei Zhang but that has it's limits so again they cross the border.

Veterans is a god send...for the players who would rather play and socialize amongst their peers...

and that's basically it.

this year most of the Canadians are from Ontario... and one team from Quebec from one club LYTTA...the other provinces are not participating (don't know why as it was a annual thing for many of them)...money? i doubt it...it's actually a good vaca time for them.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 10/07/2019 at 10:11pm
*sigh*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2019 at 7:21am
Oh wow, well it's always fun playing against the Canadians, very talented and nice group.  Hope to see a bunch this year as well.  
DoogeeX View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoogeeX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 12:42pm
Going to Joola Teams this year, will be my first time.

What to expect?
Spinlord Ultra Carbon Def
DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
DerMateril.. SpinParasite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by DoogeeX DoogeeX wrote:

What to expect?

You will play a loot of matches, but it's also a lot of fun.  There are some decent food places at national Harbor, and if your staying at the Gaylord it's quite an experience.  My first time there, I was shocked at how many tables were laid out, and just the sheer number of ping pong people/family members.  Its also interesting running into people you see at various tournaments, all in one place.  Feels like a ping pong festival more than a tournament to me personally.  

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by DoogeeX DoogeeX wrote:

What to expect?
Sore back/knees/feet because of the concrete floors, really expensive food options, potentially extremely long waits between matches, expensive parking if you're not staying at the hotel, disappointment if some of your scheduled opponents decide to default.  If you're not in the best physical shape, I'd recommend a team size of at least 5 so you can rotate taking breaks.  And bring a big water bottle, the bigger the better.  There will be water coolers but sometimes they're a little slow refilling them and sometimes they don't.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/Xiom Omega VII Asia Max BH/Omega VII Asia Max
OSP Virtuoso+, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
DoogeeX View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoogeeX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 2:47pm
Thanks for all the info. 

Sounds like a fun time.
DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 2:51pm
If you play an active style, I would not recommend a 3 person team unless you can guarantee you are in Division 1 (the top division).  You will have to play too many matches and day 3 will be extremely painful.  If you play a more sedentary style it might be possible to play with 3 players but I still wouldn't recommend it.  In Division 1 you will play less matches so 3 people should be fine. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ttunderthesun21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2019 at 3:11pm
Yeah the optimal amount of people is probably 4.  The thing about this tournament is after the preliminaries, you get put into a division with people about your level, so the matches end up being much more taxing on the body.  Usually at normal tournaments, you get a round robin of 4 followed by single elimination, where the round robin can be a wide range of people so it's not as bad.  It's a lot easier to play 20 matches against people +/- 250 rating spread, than 20 matches with like a +/- 50 rating spread.  
That being said, Sunday mornings are the best time to pick up rating points or lose points XD

Edited by Ttunderthesun21 - 10/10/2019 at 3:12pm
DoogeeX View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoogeeX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2019 at 12:32pm
We have a team of 4, our team rating will be around 1600. I have a couple more tourneys before then.

DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic