Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you practice playing with other hand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you practice playing with other hand?
    Posted: 11/12/2019 at 2:26am
Hey

If you are right handed player, is there any benefits in practicing TT with left hand (and the other way around)?
Stiga Celero, FH: 729 08-ES H47, BH: Yinhe Jupiter 2, H38
Yinhe Kiso 5ply, FH: 729 08-ES H47, BH: Hurricane 3 Commercial H39
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 2:53am
I think it helps in a similar way as coaching a new player does. You might physically be able to go bang-bang and rattle off some hits or loops, but can you actually analyze what you're doing and teach that to someone else? 

For me, using the off-hand was a bit like that. I have to re-think about what I'm doing and how to fix it if my offhand won't cooperate! 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 3:06am
Yes, you can do some showoff Pongfinity shots if you do it well Tongue
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: TinArc 5
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 9:14am
I am so bad with my right hand that I don't even bother to try.

Anyway I heard of quite a few players actually getting two seperate league & tournament ratings one for each hand. I think this should be cracked down hard since rules allow switching hands at will. 
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 9:39am
I am trying to dig some evidence of something I was told. Person I was talking to spent his childhood around tennis court playing and providing tech services, like racket repair etc. He used to be a lot around coaches, field etc. From time to time he plays TT too.

The other day he mentioned that skills learned on your off-hand do polish primary hand by means of engaging brain (its not about off-hand muscle memory, but something to do with conscious mindful effort). Unfortunately person is not a coach and could not explain more. So I was hoping someone heard of it or knows that it is not actually true.

Let's park for a while talking about benefits like "Pongfinity shots", these are obvious :)

Edited by fmarek - 11/12/2019 at 9:40am
fmarek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 9:46am
Also Arnold's in his book about bodybuilding mentioned that there is a limit of how much one can train one single muscle group while ignoring other muscles. I understood that human body responds better if all muscles are being trained in harmony. In latter case muscle group in question would be able to go over that limit. Well, who knows if there is a relation ...
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 10:02am
It's important to train the "opposite" muscles. 
I use hand weights to exercise the non-dominant side but without playing table tennis. 
Infinity VPS V
Tenergy 80
Tenergy 05
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 10:29am
a “frozen shoulder” is a mysterious issue that will make you scream in pain raising your arm and nothing shows in a mri. It may last 1/2 a year or more. 
I played left handed for a while while going through that crap. In practice, we can look and feel good pretty quick, when we know where the ball comes. In a match, all goes to the drain as the footwork gets all mangled, some muscle memory makes us do things for the other hand, it’s frustrating. 
Best is to use the other hand to spend time with people same level of that hand then?  No, the problem with that is the disrespect: people hope for the best of us and it may reach as arrogant to give them the weakest part of us, I totally understand so I won’t do it.
I think playing with the other hand is a waste of time if no injury forces it.

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 6:50pm
Advantage: distribute the pain evenly. Also, when you start from scratch you do not have to correct bad habits.

Many in my club prefer to hit against my left hand, which is consistent and not too fast. Not to mention, no nasty pips.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Not to mention, no nasty pips.

Huh ?  But you did mention .....going out of your way to mention it in a TOTALLY unrelated topic, exposing your hatemongering mentality.

Hey at least you are foolish enough not to hide your hatred (like KKK or Nazis) as we now know who you are. Unfortunately unlike you,  table-tennis is 70% slimy snakes under the grass who praise the pips players publicly giving them false hopes but privately trash them. I salute you.

Edited by abdeen - 11/13/2019 at 12:46am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 10:04pm
I tried to find some sports science literature on this and couldn't find anything but it would make an interesting study.  I could imagine some neurological mechanisms wherein it might be effective.  But the only way to know would be to design a good study and carry it out.  It is not easy to do though, since in contrast to something like, say, cycling, it is a lot harder to measure improvements in TT performance scientifically.
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by abdeen abdeen wrote:

Huh ?  But you did mention .....going out of your way to mention it in a TOTALLY unrelated topic, exposing your hatemongering mentality.

Hey at least you are foolish enough not to hide your hatred (like KKK or Nazis) as we now know who you are. Unfortunately unlike you,  table-tennis is 70% slimy snakes under the grass who praise the pips players publicly giving them false hopes but privately trash them. I salute you.

The nasty pips are on my right hand BH. They give fits to some players. BTW, I am using them since the inverted BH move bothers my shoulder.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 11:04am

Sensitive much?
abdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Sensitive much?

I guess you are normal (& perfectly balanced) & I am abnormal & unbalanced
So shoot me 
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 12:40pm
I did try it once. It was too frustrating. It feels like when you are playing for the very first time.

It may become useful to some, like for Timo Boll. But Im not gonna ever be a pro, so Id rather keep training my regular arm and get as good as I can with it first. It is especially important to get rid of any bad habits with the good arm. There's only so much time available on a weekly basis.

Who knows, I might try again just for kicks...

FdT
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 3:07pm
I play tennis with my left-handed and TT with my right. I occasionally do some warmups, especially with lefties that are lower level than me, using my left hand.

I'm somewhat sure I could raise the TT coordination to be equal between my right and left. However, the biggest limiting factor would be that my footwork is too ingrained to make a legitimate switch so that my leftie rating would be the same as my right. It is much harder to break habits than it is to build coordination.
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2019 at 4:52pm

I am so bad with my right hand that I don't even bother to try.

Anyway I heard of quite a few players actually getting two seperate league & tournament ratings one for each hand. I think this should be cracked down hard since rules allow switching hands at will. 
Drop here!

+1, just I am so bad with my left...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic