Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sending a blade in an envelope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sending a blade in an envelope
    Posted: 11/21/2019 at 12:48pm
Hey there,

I was just wondering:

- You pay me 260 USD via bank transfer for a blade.
- I sent you the blade in an envelope with the original box inside.
- 1500 miles away.

What would your first though, question or reaction be, if I told you, that I sent the blade in an envelope instead of a delivery package?
PenholdTV
YouTube
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 1:03pm
Personally I send in a monilla with bubble wrap on the box and blade . If it was in a paper envelope, 260usd and international then if there is any damages on your head be it! 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by mischasln mischasln wrote:

Hey there,

I was just wondering:

- 1500 miles away.

What would your first though, question or reaction be, if I told you, that I sent the blade in an envelope instead of a delivery package?

I don't even do that domestically
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 7:22pm
I would say that it was pretty careless.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 7:38pm
Was the envelope padded inside? if not, shame on them; if yes, the seller might have thought it was enough. At that price though, saving the additional $3 to not get a box is disrespectful and the buyer has valid reasons to be frustrated, sorry.

Edited by stiltt - 11/21/2019 at 7:39pm
Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2019 at 7:44pm
Honestly, if the original box is included I wouldn't worry too much about it being in an envelope. I doubt the blade would get damaged, at most maybe the edges of the box might get squashed a bit. But I guess I'm pretty easy going with things like this. If the blade arrives safely, great. If it does get damaged I would ask my money back but only when that turns into a problem I would start to get angry. 

That said I also wouldn't send a blade in this way myself, especially not if I asked $260 for it. I'm always very careful with packaging anything I sell, no matter the location. 
Nittaku Accoustic, FH: Tenergy 05, BH: Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2019 at 11:11am
Even if it arrived safely this time, I would hesitate to buy anything else from that person/company.  Subjecting the blade to the whims of the parcel service sets up red flags for me.  So I probably would look elsewhere for my future purchases.
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.5 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2019 at 2:30pm
This can be solved before sending the money: document in the PM conversation requests like:

-packaging style: is a padded envelope ok?  is a box and bubble wrap necessary?
-priority mail or first class?

I am writing that because I know some sellers/traders/buyers ask me to accept those conditions before sealing the deal and I find that smart, I had one yesterday (hint: he can see Timo more often than me Tongue).

smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

This can be solved before sending the money: document in the PM conversation requests like:

-packaging style: is a padded envelope ok?  is a box and bubble wrap necessary?
-priority mail or first class?

I am writing that because I know some sellers/traders/buyers ask me to accept those conditions before sealing the deal and I find that smart, I had one yesterday (hint: he can see Timo more often than me Tongue).

Timo's Dad?
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2019 at 9:18am
I have sent hundreds of blades all over the planet on envelopes and only once did I have a problem. I simply payed for the return and sent a new one. Customer was happy and continued to be a customer. Not sending blades in boxes that eventually end up in the trash allow some manufacturers/retailers to keep shipping prices down. 
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 2:37pm

Hey there,

I was just wondering:

- 1500 miles away.

If it is one of these cardboard types, no problem.

If it is a softer envelope, even with the original box, I would wrap with one layer of packing paper or bubble wrap.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Hey there,

I was just wondering:

- 1500 miles away.

If it is one of these cardboard types, no problem.

If it is a softer envelope, even with the original box, I would wrap with one layer of packing paper or bubble wrap.

I don't think bubble wrap helps that much. The danger isn't crushing or denting, it's tweaking the blade.  Maybe even if it doesn't snap you've loosened a handle piece or put a hairline in the core.

Edited by cole_ely - 11/26/2019 at 3:01pm

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 3:08pm
Depends on the type of envelope used. If it's something like this, https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/readypost-10-12-x-16-inch-bubble-mailers-P_843062, with bubble liner protection inside, I am fine with that.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

Depends on the type of envelope used. If it's something like this, https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/readypost-10-12-x-16-inch-bubble-mailers-P_843062, with bubble liner protection inside, I am fine with that.

That still doesn't protect it from getting snapped

1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 5:03pm
Yeah, it's difficult to capture those fine hair line cracks in a photo,  especially if it a new blade.  Been there,  done that. If nothing else it creates distrust,  which could have been easily avoided. Confused
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.5 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2019 at 7:03pm
I think common sense says using a box would be optimal.  It adds to the cost of shipping. Transparency about costs and mode of shipping is ideal.

Edited by Baal - 11/26/2019 at 7:04pm
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 1:13am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Personally I send in a monilla with bubble wrap on the box and blade . If it was in a paper envelope, 260usd and international then if there is any damages on your head be it! 

Manila envelope TongueLOL
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 2:09am
Strictly speaking, the original box is part of the product, and in this case, part of the deal. It should not be considered part of the delivery package that could take damage or be ditched away by the seller.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2019 at 4:46am
I had that years ago and received a broken blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 12:54am
Question is: is it damaged? If not, play ball.
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by lasta lasta wrote:

Question is: is it damaged? If not, play ball.

This is another story since I bought that blade from a forum member. I'm going to make a separated post on that one. I was just curious if I'm the only one who finds that sending a piece of wood in an envelope around the world.

Edited by mischasln - 11/28/2019 at 10:17am
PenholdTV
YouTube
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2019 at 11:25am
I know a forum member has a habit to mail blade with no-padded envelop. I got it once, blade not damaged, but really annoyed by that. And I decide not to buy from that member again.

If you do not have a box, you can easily make one. Just put some hard paper board and wrap the blade with some bubble material. It will be as good as a box.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic